PDA

View Full Version : Life After Injury....

YUNG THOR
12-31-08, 9:50 am
Question-To all those who got hurt ... so hurt you needed to rest off the weights for 2 weeks, what to do ??... i mean even if ur healed ....you still have to wait to catch back yourself and lift light ....

futurefreak101
12-31-08, 11:29 am
if your hurt do not lift at all...you dont wanna make an injury worse then it is and then maybe you can Never lift again...i made a really bad mistake...my shoulder was messed up ...and i never took time off i just kept going and going...in time it went away...probably because i ended up making it stronger...but honestly looking back at that (only 1 year ago) im lucky i didnt comepletely tear my rotator cuff...rest is important im learning that now....btw this is in the wrong section

Pizzalamp
12-31-08, 12:03 pm
just rest until youre cleared to work out

youre not gonna shrink away

Little Z
12-31-08, 1:37 pm
Question-To all those who got hurt ... so hurt you needed to rest off the weights for 2 weeks, what to do ??... i mean even if ur healed ....you still have to wait to catch back yourself and lift light ....

2 weeks dude? seriously you are worried about being off for 2 weeks.. try being told you will never
be able to ever lift again, especially heavy and then coming back stronger than ever. And you keep
starting new threads when this could have easily been asked in your other thread, when in reality
it already had been asked, because you received advice from many brothers on here already
and thats where you got the 2 weeks from in the first place. Animal is a lifestyle, not a choice.
I didnt wake up one day and think to myself "I think I want to lift weights for a few months"

This shit is in my blood, and im sorry if i come off as bein a dick, but 2 weeks is shit compared
to what some of the brothers AND sisters of the iron have had to face. I know personally of a few
that have had major injuries that NO one should have come back on, but you know what..
Thats why we are Animal. thats why we are here, that is what we live for.. dont sit and worry about
a possible strain that might have you sidetracked for 2 weeks, think about the weight you are going
to pull, lift, toss around once you get back to it...

bigffmike
12-31-08, 4:37 pm
2 weeks dude? seriously you are worried about being off for 2 weeks.. try being told you will never
be able to ever lift again, especially heavy and then coming back stronger than ever. And you keep
starting new threads when this could have easily been asked in your other thread, when in reality
it already had been asked, because you received advice from many brothers on here already
and thats where you got the 2 weeks from in the first place. Animal is a lifestyle, not a choice.
I didnt wake up one day and think to myself "I think I want to lift weights for a few months"

This shit is in my blood, and im sorry if i come off as bein a dick, but 2 weeks is shit compared
to what some of the brothers AND sisters of the iron have had to face. I know personally of a few
that have had major injuries that NO one should have come back on, but you know what..
Thats why we are Animal. thats why we are here, that is what we live for.. dont sit and worry about
a possible strain that might have you sidetracked for 2 weeks, think about the weight you are going

Nicely said Z
Bro Take the time to heal, read the articles that have been posted, learn from your fellow animals and come back stronger.

YUNG THOR
12-31-08, 4:57 pm

This post was put up before we talking about my putting on too much threads why still acting on it ?

Little Z
12-31-08, 5:00 pm
This post was put up before we talking about my putting on too much threads why still acting on it ?

You just answered your own question.. That was posted before we talked, and you had done this
posting the same question in different sections, so technically this wasnt the same thing..

Arbalest
12-31-08, 7:49 pm

REST!!! 2 weeks is nothing.

I was off for 6months from a Motorcycle accident, and 3months from a torn abdomen. It's all mental. I'll tell you, I was VERY scared to Deadlift (abdomen tear) heavy for awhile, but after testing the waters for a couple weeks, I was back to it...

If you're seriously injured, and the Doc says Rest... DO IT! It's not worth potentially injuring yourself even more, and having to take even longer off.

-Arbalest

YUNG THOR
12-31-08, 8:25 pm
REST!!! 2 weeks is nothing.

I was off for 6months from a Motorcycle accident, and 3months from a torn abdomen. It's all mental. I'll tell you, I was VERY scared to Deadlift (abdomen tear) heavy for awhile, but after testing the waters for a couple weeks, I was back to it...

If you're seriously injured, and the Doc says Rest... DO IT! It's not worth potentially injuring yourself even more, and having to take even longer off.

-Arbalest

Well im secure about my injury ... ima take the 2weeks off so im just eat and eat..

Dedicated2Liftin
12-31-08, 9:54 pm
As others have said, just focus on how you're gonna tear it up in the gym once you're able to return. Aside from that, indulge one of your other hobbies in the meantime. Stay focused but don't be stupid.

Ded

YUNG THOR
01-01-09, 11:48 am
As others have said, just focus on how you're gonna tear it up in the gym once you're able to return. Aside from that, indulge one of your other hobbies in the meantime. Stay focused but don't be stupid.

Ded

Will do... i just started this thread to see ....who had injuries and it affected them not really me but you guy are becoming like family eveyone of you...

The Young One
01-02-09, 4:45 pm
i just cleared to start doing legs on tuesday, havent done any since feburary. gotta come back light after an injury

YUNG THOR
01-02-09, 4:48 pm
Well i received the same advice jus be careful

Arnold Is Numero Uno
01-02-09, 8:05 pm

well said....i was out for 5 months after my injury/surgery

GJN5002
01-02-09, 8:11 pm
I just took two weeks off over the holidays to deload and rest. No big deal. Ive learned this after many surgeries and injuries. Rest helps, 2-6 weeks is nothing.

YUNG THOR
01-02-09, 8:51 pm
I just took two weeks off over the holidays to deload and rest. No big deal. Ive learned this after many surgeries and injuries. Rest helps, 2-6 weeks is nothing.

WHAT TYPE OF INJURES YOU HAD?

GJN5002
01-02-09, 11:34 pm
torn pec, torn meniscus, sports hernia...im a mess

deanna7272
01-02-09, 11:43 pm
Herniated L5-S1, had microdisectomy done in January 04... Thought I was "healed" after finally getting consent to go back to the gym.... 1 month into training, my 4th leg training session, blew ANOTHER one L4-L5... This was with a WHOPPING 25 pound plate on the leg press (I had worked 4 weeks to make it to 25 pounds!!!) After ANOTHER surgery, and now with residual nerve damage in the right leg, I HAD to take an ADDITIONAL year off.... Back to training in January 2007, the smart way....

THEY are trained to know how long it takes to recover... Don't judge it yourself. Like they said before... 2 weeks is a drop in the bucket as compared to the rest of your life....

YUNG THOR
01-03-09, 7:41 am
Herniated L5-S1, had microdisectomy done in January 04... Thought I was "healed" after finally getting consent to go back to the gym.... 1 month into training, my 4th leg training session, blew ANOTHER one L4-L5... This was with a WHOPPING 25 pound plate on the leg press (I had worked 4 weeks to make it to 25 pounds!!!) After ANOTHER surgery, and now with residual nerve damage in the right leg, I HAD to take an ADDITIONAL year off.... Back to training in January 2007, the smart way....

THEY are trained to know how long it takes to recover... Don't judge it yourself. Like they said before... 2 weeks is a drop in the bucket as compared to the rest of your life....

You knowi thought if you had a hernia you cant train again is that tru?

Attaus
01-03-09, 7:55 am
How badly do you want it?

I seperated my shoulder with 85lbs in my hand at full extension behind me while on a bench. I did 95lb the week before, my shoulder just decided to give out (I've made corrective efforts since).

The day after I could not lift my arm. I only wore a sweatshirt to class the next day because putting clothes on was so unbearably painful. He x-rayed and said I seperated my collar bone from my rotator cuff and would be out of lifting for a minimum of 4 weeks.

I couldn't do squats, any upper body exercises, but oddly enough I could do arm exercises.. just nothing that screwed with my shoulder. I started those approximately 3 days after the seperation.

After 3-4 weeks, when I stopped feeling a dull pain in my shoulder, I started doing pushups, then steadily moved back to DB bench.

Be smart about it, but don't get lazy. The worst thing you can do is come back and do the same weight you did.

YUNG THOR
01-03-09, 9:44 am
I like your appoarch ..that is what im going to do when it comes back to my leg exercises ..but right nowthis is4days into the injury still have the pain but it isnt asintense but the son of a bitch is still here .... but i think it will go away sometime .. but ill just wait 2 -4 weeks before i just back in ...

deanna7272
01-03-09, 10:24 am

Not a "hernia", a herniated disk in my lumbar spine... Basically the disk in between the vertibrae was compressed so much that it found a weak area and pushed it's way through there causing it to press on my sciatic nerves. I never once had pain in my back, per se, it was ALL in my right leg.... .

Went from burning sensation in the leg, pain in the leg, to out and out can't stand, can't sit, can't walk, can't do ANYTHING pain....

For those of you that have/had sciatic pain, tell me if this is true.... IF you have NEVER had sciatic pain, you would NEVER know the pain.. BUT if you HAVE had it, YOU NEVER FORGET IT....

YUNG THOR
01-04-09, 10:10 am
What other injuries have you gotten so far ?

Machine
01-04-09, 12:14 pm
I would just like to take a second to commend all of you for staying in the game in spite of what sounds like some pretty serious injuries. It takes guts to come back and get up under some weight after you've heard that mind scarring, tearing, and popping of your tendons and fascia. I have been on the business end of the scalpel more times than I would wish on anyone...I think about 14 times now. Some of them can be blamed on youthful exuberance, and some of them were what I would call unavoidable. Either way, I know what it takes to come back. Sometimes, at night, I can still here the popping, tearing, and grinding...sometimes I cant get it out of my mind. I think its hilarious! Great job guys and gals! NEVER FUCKING SURRENDER!!!

MACHINE

GJN5002
01-05-09, 10:57 am

Nop you can, I know lots of guys that have a hernia, get it repaired and are back at it. Dennis Wolf and Kai Green just had hernia surgery and they are back at it.

AnthonyB
01-05-09, 5:36 pm
i just turned 24 and am about to go for surgery on my right shoulder. im sure in a few months my left one will need some work done to it. i'll get past it

DEADn
01-05-09, 6:00 pm
REST, I got injured back in November. Hernia in the neck. I went on for a few more weeks before I saw a chiro. I stopped for a while. Then I surfed the net to find out what I can do to heal it beyond my treatment. I found exercise was a key so I began to run more then usually along with lighter lifting becareful of how I bent my head. I am doing really good right now with it.

Get yourself some rest and/or going running. Maybe do something that doesn't involved your pain area.

Alta0331
01-05-09, 6:11 pm
Not a "hernia", a herniated disk in my lumbar spine... Basically the disk in between the vertibrae was compressed so much that it found a weak area and pushed it's way through there causing it to press on my sciatic nerves. I never once had pain in my back, per se, it was ALL in my right leg.... .

Went from burning sensation in the leg, pain in the leg, to out and out can't stand, can't sit, can't walk, can't do ANYTHING pain....

For those of you that have/had sciatic pain, tell me if this is true.... IF you have NEVER had sciatic pain, you would NEVER know the pain.. BUT if you HAVE had it, YOU NEVER FORGET IT....

That is the truth.. Compressed disc in between L4-L5 and L5-S1. Lift or twist the wrong way and I'm on the floor

YUNG THOR
01-05-09, 7:08 pm
REST, I got injured back in November. Hernia in the neck. I went on for a few more weeks before I saw a chiro. I stopped for a while. Then I surfed the net to find out what I can do to heal it beyond my treatment. I found exercise was a key so I began to run more then usually along with lighter lifting becareful of how I bent my head. I am doing really good right now with it.

Get yourself some rest and/or going running. Maybe do something that doesn't involved your pain area.

That is ok but what if your in my case... and you have a hernia... if what you say is true and you shouldnt use the injured area well i cant run for sure then...

What do you think i should do ?

Arbalest
01-06-09, 3:40 pm
That is ok but what if your in my case... and you have a hernia... if what you say is true and you shouldnt use the injured area well i cant run for sure then...

What do you think i should do ?

First off, see what your DOCTOR says!!! I love my brothers/sisters here, but noone is able to tell you exactly what you can and can't do.

Come back after that and report, and we'll give you some ideas of stuff you can do, within the Doc's guidelines.

YUNG THOR
01-07-09, 4:32 pm
Today ...i feel better ... like ... only if i move myself around a certain way ,strainuously .....i feel slight pain....i think by next week wednesday ...YUNG THOR AKA WOLVERINE :) will be back on the prowl but from everyone's post's ill take it easy.... with push up's and light weight...so thanks for all of y'all support ill keep everyone informed...

THOR

YUNG THOR
01-12-09, 7:25 pm
Yea guys i have been released from the doctor today .. told me that im ok to do my thing just take my time.... i now have a different lil pain in my lower ab when i flex my abs but he told me that is nothing just take it easy.. im going to go back at it on wednesday ... wish me luck

Little Z
01-13-09, 2:08 pm
Good luck bro, take it easy like the others have stated, and like we talked about.

The iron will always be there, no need to rush.

An injury is best treated now and rest is most important, otherwise you will be facing a long uphill battle
in the future with possibly more injuries.

I go back to the doc on Friday, hopefully I get in to see this surgeon so I can get back to it 100%..

Keep us updated..

Arnold Is Numero Uno
01-14-09, 11:25 pm
i just turned 24 and am about to go for surgery on my right shoulder. im sure in a few months my left one will need some work done to it. i'll get past it

What happened? Torn labrum? SLAP tear?

YUNG THOR
01-15-09, 6:18 pm
It was just a strained groin .... by the way ill start weight training on saturday most likely im just doing body weight exercises .....
Eg-Prisoner Squats
Push ups
Pull ups
Step ups
Lunges
Close hand push ups

The most im doing in these exercises by the way is 30 reps and that is in the Prisoner Squats and the Push ups... the rest are 20-10 repititions

Thanks for all of the information .... and the help and the support i really appreciate it ....

Thank YOu

YUNG THOR
01-21-09, 11:20 am
Thank for the all the input from you guys about your injuries and advice ... right now im feeling about 80% im back into the gym right now... this is my 3rd day back in ... i have a little pain in there still but im just pushing a little through it ... the only thing is you know that most of the weight i used to push now feels like a shit load of iron now ... but i know with time i will get back to my lifts...

I did shoulders and triceps on my first go and it felt alright i must say ... i mean i didnt feel much to no pain in my injured area and that was a great you know to see the guys that you used to train with .. it is good to be back!!!

Imma keep it easy until i feel no pain at all when im working out and keep down the poundages to a middle weight class...(eg-350 before...now 190) i even did legs last night which really had my worries since you know it is really near the hurt area ... i used 100lbs leg press to 200lbs... and i did some extentions...and leg curls ... and i feel great.. ill keep everyone posted on further progres.... thank you ...