PDA

View Full Version : Fast food and cholesterol

shizz702
12-31-08, 7:44 pm
Here's a great post I just read on the strength mill forum that I figured you guys would find interesting:

Original link here: http://www.strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3578

Calling health risks into play requires a look at all the individual components of this so called "unhealthy" food. Your typical inane nutritionist will most likely bring up calories, saturated fat, trans fat, (dietary) cholesterol, sodium, carbs, and sugar. As I'm sure you are aware, calories only matter when looked at in comparison to individual goals and activity levels. If you're a sedentary individual trying to lose 10lbs in order to fit into a pair of jeans, then you're a pussy that needs to live off of a 2500-3500 calorie diet. However, if you're looking to gain strength and put some meat on your bones, then being anal about caloric intake amounts to moot (unless you're being anal about making sure to take in a gallon of milk a day; in this case you aren't anal, you're motivated)

Next on the list of qualms of ignorant nutritionists is saturated fat. Saturated fats provide essential functions such as building cell membranes and assisting in vitamin absorption. The reason they get a bad rep is because they apparently raise LDL or "bad cholesterol" levels. However, there is no such fucking thing as bad cholesterol. According to Anthony Colpo: "Cholesterol is needed for the synthesis of bile acids, which are essential for the absorption of fats, and of many hormones such as testosterone, estrogen, dihydroepiandrosterone, progesterone, and cortisol. Together with sun exposure, cholesterol is required to produce vitamin D. Cholesterol is an
essential element of cell membranes, where it provides structural support and may even serve as a protective antioxidant. It is essential for conducting nervous impulses, especially at the level of the synapse."

The only distinction between LDL and HDL cholesterol is that LDL transports cholesterol from the liver to the tissues and HDL will transport the waste back to the liver for excretion. Supposedly, the cholesterol being carried in the low-density lipoprotein will gush the arteries with fat; however, there is not a correlation between blood levels of LDL cholesterol and atherosclerosis. (This often becomes a touchy subject for advocates of the "bad-cholesterol" title. If anyone wants me to expand on this, I will)

Also interesting to note, is the difference between native LDL cholesterol and oxidized LDL. Going back to our friend Anthony Colpo: "Native LDL cholesterol is a vitally important substance and is not in any way atherogenic. Statin drugs, the only LDL-lowering agents shown to have clinical benefit in reducing the incidence of heart disease, have been shown to exert their benefits via mechanisms totally unrelated to LDL cholesterol reduction. A potential causative role in atherosclerosis and heart disease has indeed been detected for oxidized LDL, but this form of LDL shows no correlation with serum levels of native LDL. Rather, individual antioxidant status appears to be a key factor influencing serum concentrations of oxidized LDL." In conclusion, eat all the saturated fat you want. It's good for you.

Moving on to trans fat. It appears that our nutritionist friends finally (most likely luckily) arrived to the conclusion that trans fats are bad. Dietary trans fats have been the subject of many objective and proper scientific studies (unlike LDL cholesterol levels). It has been proven that trans fatty acids do have an atherogenic effect, but this effect is independent of serum cholesterol elevation. Don't fear the trans fat, but do respect it. McDonald's menu items do contain some trans fat, but if you're a healthy individual, the danger is minimal. If you're really worried about it, then hit up Taco Bell. Extremely caloric-dense food with relatively no trans fat.

Dietary cholesterol has little correlation to blood serum cholesterol levels. Even if cholesterol did directly effect serum levels, that would put it in the same boat as saturated fat, still making dietary cholesterol fine to consume. Lots of people criticize eggs (specifically the yolk) for having a high amount of dietary cholesterol. Ignore them. Dietary cholesterol doesn't amount to shit. Don't be caught throwing out the yolks like a little bitch.

Carbs and sugar will fall under the umbrella topic of "macronutrient mind-fuck." You don't need to micromanage the proportions of proteins, carbs, and fats that you take in. Well, not to a significant degree at least. Just make sure to get in some good, quality carbs in every meal along with some protein. You don't have to specifically seek out fats because you will most likely get enough from normal food. Personally, I take a tablespoon of cod liver oil a day for its purported benefits, but it isn't necessary. People will literally drive themselves mad trying to strike the "perfect" balance of carbs, proteins, and fats, but it's not worth it.

Finally, let's talk about sodium. Sodium increases your blood pressure. An increased blood pressure isn't healthy. Let's talk about some solutions. Make sure to consume water, milk, and a healthy dose of fruit. That's it. Milk and fruit contain a huge serving of potassium, which effectively nullifies sodium's bad effects. It's important to stay hydrated, but you don't have to go overboard. Your body will usually tell you how much water you need to drink, and you'll get a lot of water from food (especially milk). Coach Rip's suggestion to drink a gallon of milk a day is better advice than what 99% of "professional" nutritionists will tell you.

More on blood pressure real quick. If you're athletic, you will most likely have higher than normal blood pressure. This is a result of physiological changes that the heart will go through in order to adapt to your activity level. Here's a link to some more information if any of yall are interested: http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/ahs

Back to the question that was asked. No, McDonalds will not kill you (unless you're sedentary). Yes, it will probably make you fat if you don't exercise control (great tasting and calorie-dense food). The blame for America's health epidemic should be directed towards sedentary lifestyles and widespread misinformation in the two major departments concerning health: nutrition and exercise. Just as Rippetoe is a rare jewel in a sea of inept fitness "experts," you will only find a few capable nutritionists who look past the inconclusive, subjective, and vomit-inducing lies that have been accepted as fact among professionals and the mainstream crowd.

I'd like to take some time here to apologize for this behemoth of a post that I've conceived in response to a seemingly simple question. Most of the time that I'm caught advocating fast food for athletes, I get anal raped by everyone and their mothers. If anyone wants me to expand on any portion of this, I'll be glad to do it. Also, from what I've read Rip say about nutrition, I've almost always wholeheartedly agreed with him every time. His practical approach to problem-solving is a perfect example of how one can give sound advice without requiring fancy titles or letters following his name.

Joseb
12-31-08, 7:53 pm
you are the man, this should be stickied

shizz702
12-31-08, 8:11 pm
you are the man, this should be stickied

haha right on bro! If you liked this, then be sure to check out the caloric excess article I posted here if you haven't already: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=22584

Joseb
01-01-09, 7:24 pm
i just saw that you linked it.
when i first saw this post, i was so excited that i didnt see the link.. i thought you had written it yourself!
still awesome though.
ill check your other post out

Cholesterol Diet
08-28-10, 12:06 am
Thanks for the information. Never though that I get too much cholesterol from fast foods. The reason why I eat too much fast food because it's difficult for me to prepare my food because I am always on the go. However, with the one you posted, it seems that I need to give sometime with selecting the food I eat.

Diet for Lowering Cholesterol (http://www.all-about-lowering-cholesterol.com/diet-for-lowering-cholesterol.html)

AntoineV
08-28-10, 12:25 am
it's the saturated fats and other bad fats that make your bad cholesterol level go up.... not the cholesterol in the food itself.

JasonG
08-28-10, 2:36 am
I just had bloodwork done and my cholesteral is high apparently. The base clinic prescribed me some pills to lower it and have to go see a dietician. I eat clean 6 days a week with 5 -6 meals then eat whatever the wife wants on Sunday, whether it's going out eating whatever she cooks etc. I don't get all my meals in that day usually since I'm transitioning back to the grave shift that day. Anyway, not sure why it's high unless it's from the amount of protein I take in. All I know is I'm not looking forward to hearing how my protein intake is rediculously high and how bad supplements are for me from this dietician. UGH.

BigChrisF
08-28-10, 6:39 pm
The two major factors in determining you cholesterol levels are your diet and your genetics. Some people, even with a good diet and medication will have high cholesterol levels because they bad genetics. Their body produces too much.

prowrestler
08-28-10, 8:37 pm
you read it people

TACO BELL ftw!

shizz702
08-28-10, 9:07 pm
you read it people

TACO BELL ftw!

Damn this thread is back from the dead eh?

But yea, Taco Bell=good shit!

aileenroger1
09-18-10, 1:42 am
Fast food is a major cause of high cholesterol, can also cause other serious diseases and illnesses. It can affect people of all age. If you eat junk food every day, you better believe it will have a negative effect on your health.

charlievanriper
09-18-10, 2:46 am
Fast food is a major cause of high cholesterol, can also cause other serious diseases and illnesses. It can affect people of all age. If you eat junk food every day, you better believe it will have a negative effect on your health.

THE BORDER PATROL IS HERE BABY!!!!!!!!!!I want my Saturated fats and High Cholesterol it helps to keep me one Strong ass Old Moffo"

TACO BELL BABY FTW"

claudiajenfer1
10-05-10, 7:26 am
Well, fast foods are highly energy density food and also cause high cholesterol. You can also take Fatty fish.Because it is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which helps prevent the risk of heart disease. It also helps regulate blood pressure and prevents clotting.

Pizzalamp
10-06-10, 8:46 pm

hell yeah

charlievanriper
10-06-10, 10:05 pm
hell yeah

lmao, Well let me know when. Until then its Freaking Taco Bell on my Cheat days baby. Keto all the way!

Necromatrix
10-06-10, 10:18 pm

Well, obviously, yes. The article does not suggest "every day" however. People have to look at the whole picture, not pick one thing to blame for all. "Fast food made me a fat ass." Perhaps, but a person saying this should take a good look in the mirror... Did they work out? Were they somewhat active in thier daily life? Did they at least moderate thier junk food intake? Furthermore, what factors of thier genetic make-up affect thier weight?

Screw that, responsability to the responsable.