PDA

View Full Version : Should you squat?

Fricano
01-02-09, 3:40 pm
I love to squat however while reading the latest Flex magazine I saw many accomplished bodybuilders say not to squat. They say that the squat is the best butt building exercise there is. I agree that I have a bigger butt from squating but should I avoid squating just because of a larger butt?

sanga
01-02-09, 4:09 pm
Look at any top bodybuilder, any single one, all without exception got that way due to lifting the hell out of heavy weights-period and that includes squatting as heavy as possible for reps for years,hard work? Of course it is,take up golf or tennis if you want an easy life is what I tell people who try to avoid hard work.

Now if you have a spinal injury or the like then fair enough but even then I`d be persevering with the hack squat and leg press.

Your butt may grow some but not as much as your quads and hams,if you can squat then I say squat the hell out of it.

JeremyT
01-02-09, 4:16 pm
If you love to squat, why stop? Its my favorite exercise out of all the ones that i do. Just because the professionals who already have 30" quads, don't want to make their ass bigger, doesn't mean you should not squat. IMO everyone should squat. Everyone.

Aggression
01-02-09, 4:22 pm
Squats are a foundational exercise. They can yield tremendous benefits as long as they are executed correctly. I haven't done back squats in a while, rather I rely on front squats as of late. My personal take on squats is that they can definitely help you build some mass. However, squatting with weight too heavy for your own good, along with improper form can be detrimental. Squatting big weight to bolster your ego is simply dumb. Squatting 1/4 depth with big weight is pointless. Shoulder a load you can handle for 6-12 reps, get down to at least parallel, and push that fucker back up. Do that, and you'll have some big wheels, along with big respect from everyone around.

redskin 344
01-02-09, 4:36 pm
Squat!

Joseb
01-02-09, 4:40 pm
squats are essential if you want to get really big or really strong.
Not only do they give you wheels of steel.. they put a load on your bones which increases their density. this lessens the possibility of a bone injury.
Squats also work almost every big muscle in your body.. this stimulation causes your body to produce gh and testosterone like hell.
the best bodybuilders out there squat. look at ronnie, jay, and all the animalpak bodybuilders.. they all squat. the bodybuilders that dont can get away with it because they are taking vitamin S and they have the best legs either.

T o m m Y
01-02-09, 4:44 pm
I love to squat however while reading the latest Flex magazine I saw many accomplished bodybuilders say not to squat. They say that the squat is the best butt building exercise there is. I agree that I have a bigger butt from squating but should I avoid squating just because of a larger butt?

dude you got to be kidding me....

SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!

shizz702
01-02-09, 5:03 pm
Shut up and squat!

redskin 344
01-02-09, 6:04 pm
YOU AINT SQUAT TILL YOU SQUAT...!

biatchhhhhh

TylerC
01-02-09, 10:50 pm
ask tom platz if squats build legs

enough said

Brick By Brick
01-03-09, 1:14 pm
If you want to be big and strong - squat. If you just want to be pretty, join a pilates class.

prowrestler
01-03-09, 1:18 pm
whats wrong with a muscular ass besides akward family conversations and comments?

chicks dont dig flat asses or fat asses

squat

EAT

fernandob
01-03-09, 1:24 pm
personaly i dont squat cause im an idiot, but if i could i would squat every leg workout if i could, ive met tons of pro bodybuilders at my gym, and every one says the same thing to get tree trunk legs squat, no 2ways about it....

MrMonday
01-03-09, 1:42 pm
If squats are only building up your glutes, you are using improper form.

These are good squats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYojAPYILEo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az49UMdY1h0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1sXNm00DbE&feature=related

My advice is to stop trying to sit BACK, and start sitting DOWN. You need to squat straight down between your legs, otherwise you're just doing a really bent-knee goodmorning.

I had to learn good thigh-building form before I was building anything but ass and lower back. Don't stop squatting, just perfect your technique.

RENFRO
01-03-09, 3:06 pm
Real Animals Squat. 'nuff said.

jeff00z28
01-03-09, 3:58 pm
for a natural lifter squat is the most important thing there is. front squats are basically the same thing only hit the quads more and teh glutes less imo

pedraza
01-04-09, 11:27 am
Squat!

krazyassmexican
01-04-09, 11:28 am
squat! yes
reading flex! NO!

simpleguy
01-04-09, 12:34 pm
Squatting big weight to bolster your ego is simply dumb. Squatting 1/4 depth with big weight is pointless. Shoulder a load you can handle for 6-12 reps, get down to at least parallel, and push that fucker back up. Do that, and you'll have some big wheels, along with big respect from everyone around.

powerlifters have big legs... I think you should use all rep ranges, even singles every once in a while... as long as you keep good form, and go below parallel, imo you're good to go

spanish.iron
01-04-09, 7:31 pm
If I want to use my ass when I squat, I can. If I wanna focus more strain on my quads when i squat... I can. Learn to voluntarily individual muscle groups (mind-muscle connection). If I want to squat big weight then of course I'm gunna use all of my muscle groups, including my ass. I'm more focused on strength though so i just give'er. But yeah...everybody should squat. Guaranteed, every bodybuilder with legs that make you say, "holy fuck...those are some fuckin huge, sick legs" has gotten them by squatting over the years.

Littlefry
01-04-09, 7:37 pm
In my opinion thats a dumb article that you read and a stupid question. the Answer is plain and simple OF COURSE. Thats like asking should I bench or deadlift, or should I eat. In the end thought its up to you and soley your decision.

redskin 344
01-04-09, 8:33 pm
Dont squat

it makes ur legs too big and strong

Cstlfx
01-04-09, 8:58 pm
The reason you see a lot of top guys not squatting is because they may be trying to do something different with their muscles at the time that the article was written. With that much mass, they can choose which part of their muscle to work on.

IMO, if you're not as big as them, keep squatting.

Ir0nClad
01-05-09, 1:12 am
"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or your a pussy"

So yes you have to squat.

spanish.iron
01-05-09, 5:59 am
the only other reason that a pro may not have squats regularly in their routines is because they may have back complications due to a previous injury. I know I've heard of that before and I guess that's understandable. But hell, if their back was fine, you know they'd be squattin that shit.

cyingling
01-05-09, 9:23 am
squats are like the pak..

mritter3
01-15-09, 4:44 pm
I would not by into all that crap about squatting making your ass big, who cares squatting is probally the best lower body exercise you can do, I will squat til i die!

redskin 344
01-15-09, 6:36 pm
Squats are like hot women...

you want and need to do em or you'll regret your life

shizz702
01-15-09, 7:08 pm
"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or your a pussy"

So yes you have to squat.

LOL http://www.crossfit.ie/media/squatpussy3.jpg

cast in stone!

mustgetbig
01-16-09, 5:41 pm
the only other reason that a pro may not have squats regularly in their routines is because they may have back complications due to a previous injury. I know I've heard of that before and I guess that's understandable. But hell, if their back was fine, you know they'd be squattin that shit.

exactly ...take dorian yates as an example he free weight squated until he injured his hip then he could no longer do free weight squats...alot of pro's that dont squat forget to mention that to get to the size they have on there legs now they squatted .....and now use other exercises to maintain there leg mass and make it better so to speak

xxscaxx
01-16-09, 8:28 pm
definitly squat. i miss squats a ton. i'm still nervous to do them ever since it put me out of the gym for 6 months after i thought my head was going to explode. i tried doing them a few weeks back and felt pressure in the same spot so i immediately quit.

i got atg, but i might try just doing parallel and slowly working them back in my routine. i have been doing heavy leg press to try to compensate, but even still, nothing hits my legs as hard as squats do.

Redjeep
01-16-09, 10:53 pm
YES.

Torque757
01-17-09, 11:52 pm

Muscle hypertrophy is dependent mostly on the presence of anabolic hormones(most notably IGF-1), and the squat is the absolute best at telling the body to make more of those hormones. So if getting bigger is your goal, and you are physically capable, you should be doing squats.

Psycho77
01-18-09, 12:03 am
Squats are a foundational exercise. They can yield tremendous benefits as long as they are executed correctly. I haven't done back squats in a while, rather I rely on front squats as of late. My personal take on squats is that they can definitely help you build some mass. However, squatting with weight too heavy for your own good, along with improper form can be detrimental. Squatting big weight to bolster your ego is simply dumb. Squatting 1/4 depth with big weight is pointless. Shoulder a load you can handle for 6-12 reps, get down to at least parallel, and push that fucker back up. Do that, and you'll have some big wheels, along with big respect from everyone around.

well said Aggression.

machineman
01-18-09, 5:58 am

cast in stone!

lol.....where is squatty at?

pmug0000
01-18-09, 9:05 pm

cast in stone!

Hahahahahaha that's great

Big Wides
01-18-09, 10:22 pm
I think we have established that squats are an essential part to building the proper physique. It builds overall strength that can't be matched by anyone else. So if you can physically squat then go for it, if you can't due to a physical reason there are many other exercises out there.