PDA

View Full Version : 1

V
01-04-09, 3:42 pm
I hate fancy titles. I have been using "1" for PM subjects and email subjects for quite a while and I figured it would fit even better here.

I am 17, training for 6 months straight, not counting anything I've done in the past, because it has all been a big mistake.

I am following Bill Starr's 5x5 workout and read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength about 3 times (selectively), each time gaining something new that would help me.

I weight 70KG, up 10KG from when I started. (That's 154 pounds and 132 pounds.)

Tomorrow's gonna be my first day on both the Pak and the Pump, and I wanted a place to record my progress and results, each work day posting weights used as well as general feeling while being in the gym.

My goals would be to gain 3KG this month, with no other supplements except the two above, and to get over all plateaus that I have hit, especially for the bench press.

Carpe Diem P.T
01-04-09, 3:56 pm
The past is awesome! Its knowledge through experience. That is something that you cant put a value on.

good luck!

V
01-04-09, 5:26 pm
Thanks for the kind wishes, good sir! The same to you!

While I appreciate the past and finally understood the role of history last year, what I was doing in the gym was idiotic. The only knowledge would be to NOT do that, which I can say I am putting to good use!

Carpe Diem P.T
01-04-09, 5:39 pm
Thanks for the kind wishes, good sir! The same to you!

While I appreciate the past and finally understood the role of history last year, what I was doing in the gym was idiotic. The only knowledge would be to NOT do that, which I can say I am putting to good use!

you speak with words beyond your age. I can only assume you have had a lot of life experience in the past 17 years.

I know what you mean. I have cut and bulked to excess. I look back now and think 'what the hell was i doing', but I was just doing all I knew.

V
01-05-09, 7:35 am
Nah, I have to say that I'm not that mature or gone through life in a hard way. I actually live in the suburbs, if you know what I mean, hah! I just consider myself smart and I despise what my generation considers fun and cool.

Monday

Squat - 5x5 - 41, 51, 61, 71 and 81KG. (90, 112, 134, 156 and 178 pounds)
Bench - 5x5 - 33, 41, 49, 57 and 66KG. (72, 90, 108, 125 and 145 pounds)
Row - 5x5 - 31, 39, 46, 54 and 62KG. (68, 85, 101, 119 and 136 pounds)

For assistance, 2 sets of hypers and 4 sets of situps, all with a 24KG weight.

I just popped the Animal Pump pills and will go to the gym in about 30 minutes. I'll report whether I have made all my sets with the needed weights as well as effects from Pump (if effects are negligible, I will consider them placebo or wait at least a week to report more).

V
01-05-09, 10:53 am
Today I pissed radioactive green and puked my fucking guts out. Yeah, I overestimated myself and underestimated the 2 weeks of winter vacationing (gym was closed in this time).

Results time:

I did all my squats with all the weights I wanted, on the very last rep being fucking sure I would never get up with it on my shoulders, but I managed to. Also, because I paid more attention to Rippetoe's Starting Strength, I'm now using a wider stance with legs at 30 degrees out, which seems to have activated my hamstrings better. That, or the resting time. All in all, my whole body's worn out. I'm shaking, head to toes.

For the bench press, on the last set I had troubles with the last 2 reps. Rep before last was 100% me, but I moved it extremely hard, and last rep I needed a wee bit of help from my spotter. All in all, A for effort, B- for underachieving.

For rows, the weight I used, again, because I overestimated myself, were 2KG over my max from 2 weeks ago (4,5 pounds). I managed to do about 3 reps, with 2 being correct, the last one needing movement from the rest of my body, which I am against. I really don't want to lie to myself and use spotters or small cheats as body momentum, so I am counting only 2 reps.

The hypers were good, but I puked after finishing the last set. I had to go home before the situps, so that's that.

I'm guessing I puked because of 2 reasons: 1) I was too confident in the fact that 2 weeks ago I could do these, not remembering the fact I had 6 months under my belt of continuous training and 2) I drank too much water during the day, because of the indications on Pump, to be hydrated. I guess I have always been hydrated, so I'm gonna tone it down just a little bit.

How much water do you guys drink to gulp down all the pills? It's the first time in my life I've had to swallow so many!

I'm guessing that by Friday I can do all the proposed weights and repeat next week with these same weights.

PS: @Carpe Diem P.T, I stopped by your thread, but you seem to have gathered such a big following and such support that I thought there was no need to post, myself. Keep it up and keep growing! Thanks for the support!

Carpe Diem P.T
01-06-09, 3:18 am
the reason i post my journey up is to hear constructive criticism from a wide range of folk with differing perspectives. Your post would be appreciated for sure.

I would keep over estimating yourself. I see a lot of people on a day to day basis underestimate themselves and the results take twice as long to acheive.

when i saw pak i was shocked. they were fucking huge and no one had even mentioned that. i suggest you drink milk to take them down. it makes it a bit more coated and a smoother journey down the throat :)

V
01-06-09, 11:10 am
Thanks for the input on overestimating myself. While I have motivation and determination (heck, 80% of all the people at my gym came only for a month and 90% of the people that are regulars do absolutely no leg training), I still want to be real with myself and never exaggerate my weights.

Today I took the pills with some milk, one at a time. Had no problems with them so it seems I'll be taking them like this all the time. I just ate my afternoon meal and my stomach is full. Feeling pretty good about eating a bowl of oats and the necessary milk to make them eatable.

I'll make sure and drop by your thread later today and check up. :)

calcaneous
01-06-09, 12:49 pm
Today I pissed radioactive green and puked my fucking guts out. Yeah, I overestimated myself and underestimated the 2 weeks of winter vacationing (gym was closed in this time).

Results time:

I did all my squats with all the weights I wanted, on the very last rep being fucking sure I would never get up with it on my shoulders, but I managed to. Also, because I paid more attention to Rippetoe's Starting Strength, I'm now using a wider stance with legs at 30 degrees out, which seems to have activated my hamstrings better. That, or the resting time. All in all, my whole body's worn out. I'm shaking, head to toes.

For the bench press, on the last set I had troubles with the last 2 reps. Rep before last was 100% me, but I moved it extremely hard, and last rep I needed a wee bit of help from my spotter. All in all, A for effort, B- for underachieving.

For rows, the weight I used, again, because I overestimated myself, were 2KG over my max from 2 weeks ago (4,5 pounds). I managed to do about 3 reps, with 2 being correct, the last one needing movement from the rest of my body, which I am against. I really don't want to lie to myself and use spotters or small cheats as body momentum, so I am counting only 2 reps.

The hypers were good, but I puked after finishing the last set. I had to go home before the situps, so that's that.

I'm guessing I puked because of 2 reasons: 1) I was too confident in the fact that 2 weeks ago I could do these, not remembering the fact I had 6 months under my belt of continuous training and 2) I drank too much water during the day, because of the indications on Pump, to be hydrated. I guess I have always been hydrated, so I'm gonna tone it down just a little bit.

How much water do you guys drink to gulp down all the pills? It's the first time in my life I've had to swallow so many!

I'm guessing that by Friday I can do all the proposed weights and repeat next week with these same weights.

PS: @Carpe Diem P.T, I stopped by your thread, but you seem to have gathered such a big following and such support that I thought there was no need to post, myself. Keep it up and keep growing! Thanks for the support!

you might have to lower the weight or rest longer on those bench numbers. from my understanding, Bill Starr program has you working in numbers that you can do, you should never really be going to failure, as in needing a spot. the last 1 rep of the 5th set should be within 2-3 reps of failing. maybe try to rest a little longer, should be resting 5 minutes, just in case you weren't sure. Sorry if i come off as a ass, i just want to make sure you hit those numbers.

V
01-06-09, 4:16 pm
No, you don't come off as anything and I understand your concern. Truth be told, I could have easily done the last set before the 2 week break, so that's why I imagined, without giving it much thought, that I could do them.

I am waiting for the fatigue to disappear, possibly even by the end of this week, and next week should have the same weights as this one.

V
01-07-09, 7:41 am
Wednesday

Squat - 4x5 - 41, 51, 61 and 61KG. (90, 112, 134 pounds.)
Military Press (I am doing it while seated, along the way I plan on doing it while standing) - 4x5 - 26, 31, 36 and 41KG. (57, 68, 79 and 90 pounds.)
Deadlift - 4x5 - 45, 54, 63 and 72KG. (100, 120, 138 and 158 pounds).

Assistance: 3 sets of situps, weighted, 24KG weight. Hopefully I will do them, today.

V
01-07-09, 11:16 am
FUCK YES.

Shoulder workout was until failure. It's probably the first time in 3 months that I've done this exercise because I've been doing Incline Bench Presses instead and had no idea what weights I could use. I asked a couple of my friends who go to the same gym but train on a different schedule what's their max weight and how many reps they can do. They told me they can do about 6 or 7 reps with the weight I used as my max. I'm fucking glad that I could do them all.

Other than that, things were perfect. I only pissed green in the first day after Animal Pak because my body didn't need any of that stuff on my 2 weeks of laziness. Now that I bust my ass, it takes all that it can.

V
01-09-09, 3:19 pm
Friday

Jackpot. I can say that I am feeling the effects of my new diet and the supplements. I made the pretty big realization that what you eat makes you bigger, not every supplement under the sun. I've had more strength in this week than ever.

Weights:

Squat - 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - 41, 51, 61, 71, 83, 61. (90, 112, 134, 156, 182 and 134 pounds)
Bench - 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - 33, 41, 49, 57, 67, 49. (72, 90, 108, 125, 150 and 108 pounds)
Row (I feel this is now my weakest point. While my back is muscular, bodybuilders do a certain pose in which the muscles immediately next to the spine appear bigger. I can't seem to achieve this, nor do I feel that my weights are impressive.) - 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - 31, 39, 46, 54, 63, 46. (68, 85, 101, 119, 138 and 101 pounds)

Assistance:

Dips, 3x8, first set body weight, last two with 22 pounds weight.
Barbell Curls, 3x8, first set 44lbs*8 reps, 52lbs*7 reps, last two with help and 66lbs with about 3 reps. I did the last set on what's possibly the max weight for my poor little biceps. I can say that I am happy with what I did on this exercise, even though I didn't stay within the 5-8 recommended number of reps, but Pump had quite an effect on my biceps I didn't feel the need for more, hah!
Tricep Extensions, 3x8, done with a 35lbs dumbbell.

About the diet - I've read an article by Machine, I think, with the necessary amount of calories, protein and carbohydrates for a man needing to put on muscle. The numbers come out to 2500 calories for my body weight, with 310grams of protein for a day and 230grams of carbs. I try and spread these into 4 meals, taking care of the carbs with 100grams of oats and the protein with as much meat as I can. Did a quick Google and a normal chicken leg is about 10 grams of protein, so I ate 6 after gym, today.

If I continue to eat like this, I'm gonna put a big dent in my parents' budget. Right now, my dad would be the primary demotivator in all this... Even though I don't want to make a living out of bodybuilding, I can see myself going to a contest, in the future, when I like what I see in the mirror.

mark
01-09-09, 5:29 pm
How much do you weigh??

V
01-09-09, 5:34 pm
71 kilograms, 156 pounds.

mark
01-09-09, 5:45 pm
71 kilograms, 156 pounds.

I hope you drink plenty of water, and know how to take care of your kidneys...

I hear dialysis sucks and gets old fast

V
01-09-09, 5:55 pm
Please elaborate. I drink a lot of water, too. Always have water next to me and I'm more likely to drink too much at once than too little.

mark
01-09-09, 6:08 pm
Protein is processed by the kidneys... Excessive protein intake can place a strain cause a build up of toxins, primarily nitrates, within the kidneys and blood. The harder your kidneys strain, the more scar tissue that builds up in them, and the more genetic mutations the cells go through till they can no longer function as they're suppose too... This leads to either needing a kidney transplat, going on dialysis every other day for the rest of your life, or you die.

With the exception of liberal steriod usage (as that used by most Pro BBers) or extreme circumstances (ie swimming for 8hrs per day like Michael Phelps), and training with a 5x5 program is extremely far from being one of those circumstances, the body can not possibly process and use that many grams of protein at your size. Now if you were a lean 200+lbs that would be a different story... but since you're not, you don't need no damn 300+grams of protein per day.

Therefore the excess will be broken down all the way (putting even more stress on the kidneys than typically exherted by proteins) and stored as fat. Since what separates proteins from other other types of nutrients is the existence of Nitrogen (which is the base for nitrates) you're going to wind up with a good chunk of nitrates for your kidneys to process.

High water intake can help minimize the build up of these toxins, and help the kidneys flush the stuff out of you. Along with some cranberry extract

prowrestler
01-09-09, 6:15 pm
Protein is processed by the kidneys... Excessive protein intake can place a strain cause a build up of toxins, primarily nitrates, within the kidneys and blood. The harder your kidneys strain, the more scar tissue that builds up in them, and the more genetic mutations the cells go through till they can no longer function as they're suppose too... This leads to either needing a kidney transplat, going on dialysis every other day for the rest of your life, or you die.

With the exception of liberal steriod usage (as that used by most Pro BBers) or extreme circumstances (ie swimming for 8hrs per day like Michael Phelps), and training with a 5x5 program is extremely far from being one of those circumstances, the body can not possibly process and use that many grams of protein at your size. Now if you were a lean 200+lbs that would be a different story... but since you're not, you don't need no damn 300+grams of protein per day.

Therefore the excess will be broken down all the way (putting even more stress on the kidneys than typically exherted by proteins) and stored as fat. Since what separates proteins from other other types of nutrients is the existence of Nitrogen (which is the base for nitrates) you're going to wind up with a good chunk of nitrates for your kidneys to process.

High water intake can help minimize the build up of these toxins, and help the kidneys flush the stuff out of you. Along with some cranberry extract

ya man, thats why.

when i was your weight, id be eating about 1 gram per pound of body weight and alot more carbs. it worked. i gained 15-20 pounds each yer. now i just turned 18, got up from 110- 200 bloated pounds. i still keep my protien around 300-360.

focus on carbs and fat, keep protien at 1.5x bodyweight.
if your worried about cost, carbs and fats are cheap and can easily add up the important calories

V
01-09-09, 6:20 pm
Fuck, that's scary.

What I can definitely tell you is that I haven't reached that goal for today, and I'm about to go to bed (thanks for the nightmares).

I ate 100 grams of oatmeal in the morning, a big Snickers bar at school, 6 chicken wings after gym and 100 grams of oatmeal and ate a big piece of meat right now, along with half an orange and a grapefruit.

I couldn't say I am reaching those targets, but that was what I was aiming for.

How should I know how much to eat?

Thanks for the warnings, man! Fuck... I was reading the Wikipedia page on the kidney's functions and it didn't say anything about proteins and had no idea what you were going to say...

Oh, and on a totally unrelated note: every time I shit, it's like I shit bricks. I really have to balance a diet that does no harm to me.

Can you please help me a little bit on this one? General pointer, whatever you think might help me.

prowrestler
01-09-09, 6:25 pm
shitting brick probably means eat more fibre to smoothen shit out, no pun intended

can u give me your diet outlined like this?

meal 1:
meal 2:
meal 3:

and the time of each meal
ect....

V
01-09-09, 6:35 pm
I was just about to edit my message to thank you, prowrestler, but I guess now I can post a proper reply!

I planned 4 meals per day.

I wake up at 7 AM, at 7:10 AM I start eating. In the mornings, it's usually only carbs, 100 grams of oatmeal with enough milk to cover it.

At about 11 AM I eat something at school, mainly bars like Snickers or Bounty.

If it's gym day, I would eat my 3rd meal 30 minutes after coming home, which should be around 6:30PM. (School is until 3 PM. There's a pretty big gap here, between my meals, because I am taking Pump on an empty stomach, as Animal recommends, and I don't know when to squeeze a meal here, or what I could eat.)

The third meal is higher on protein. Today I managed to get, like I said, 6 chicken legs (whatever they're called), after which I ate another 100 grams of oatmeal with milk.

Now, before bed (ate at about 12:30 AM), I ate around 150 grams of beef, I think. Really have no idea what it was... After that, ate a grapefruit and half an orange.

For an outline, I guess only the hours would be kept the same (except the 4th meal, which is late today because I can sleep how much I want for tomorrow).

This is only the first week in which I tried to eat such quantities of food. Like I said, I took 2 weeks off gym because of the winter vacation, and before that I didn't quite plan my meals or try to hit a certain amount of something.

Fibre - what foods contain it?

Secondly, I want to buy some tuna cans. I'm guessing they would be a quicker meal than chicken, which needs to be cooked (and I don't cook).

Thanks to the both of you for the warning and the help. :)

prowrestler
01-09-09, 6:43 pm
your diet is this basicaly?

meal one: milk and oats
meal 2: snickers bar
meal 3: 6 chicken legs,milk and oats
meal 4: 150 beef and some friut

and the meal timing is bad, i could have ate another 2 meals in between some of those meals

you are far from 300grams protien.

heres a diet id want to do in your shoes. school friendly

meal 1= 1000 calorie shake. put 1 cup milk, 1 cup oats, 3 spoons peanut butter and 2 scoops whey
meal 2= 2 cans chicken or tuna with bread or some carbs. snack on nuts here too
meal 3= protien shake and 3 granola bars. add nuts if you wanna get jacked
meal 4= at home. 150 grams meet and potatoes or rice or some carb form
meal 5= after gym. as much sugar as you can + 50 grams whey
meal 6= cottage chese or 150 grams of beef with 4 spoons peanut butter

V
01-09-09, 6:53 pm
Yeah, I'm far.

How is meal 2 and 3 school friendly?

I cannot possibly eat 2 cans of tuna at school. I see that you're from Canada, so I'm guessing you guys have a cafeteria. We don't. Other than what I can buy in a normal shop (mainly snacks, no foods) or bring in my backpack, I can't do anything else. I also can't pop out 2 cans of tuna and some bread in a 10 minute break between classes...

Right now I'm gonna sleep but tomorrow I'm gonna find about the foods you recommended, as I don't know some of them, and see what I can get my hands on and do the numbers.

mark
01-09-09, 7:08 pm
No problem home slice...

1-1.25 grams of protein per lbs of lean body mass... aka, don't count the weight from your fat...

.25-.5 grams of healthy fats per lbs of lbm

2-3grams of carbs per lbs of lbm... try to keep your sugars as low as possible... a 16oz gatorade with your meat after lifting, or the weekend milk shake to treat yourself to a good week's worth of accomplishments is totally fine. No soft drinks or candy though. I'd rather see you eat a PB&J than the snickers bar at school

Carbs can be just as, if not more so, important for muscle growth than protein.

Also, i only count the protein found i meats, milk, fish, and protein shakes
I only count the fats from my mixed nuts, pb, and cooking oils
I only count the carbs from my rice, pasta, etc...

As per your hard as brick shits... try having a shot of lemon juice first thing upon rising, drinking 16oz of warm H2O upon rising, or having a cup of yogurt every day (and i don't mean the soft serve ice cream)... and if you go the cup of yogurt route, don't worry to much about the sugars, you'll be fine as far as your diet goes.

mark
01-09-09, 7:24 pm
Here's what i did when i was in school...

Meal 1: Yogurt and 3 eggs at 6 when I woke up

Meal 2: protein shake before school started at 8am
-class
Meal 3: Protein/power bar and H2O as I walked between classes... classes were 90mins long w/ 10min break in between
-class
Meal 4: Sandwhich with meat and cheese, piece of fruit, single serving bag of mixed nuts... this was during my lunch break
-class
Meal 5: PB&J sandwhich
-class
Meal 6: Protein shake... I stuck some powder in a shaker bottle and mixed with water after school

worked out

Meal 7: protein shake and glass of OJ

Meal 8: dinner... whatever my mom cooked

Meal 9: before bed, a big glass of milk

prowrestler
01-09-09, 8:22 pm
Here's what i did when i was in school...

Meal 1: Yogurt and 3 eggs at 6 when I woke up

Meal 2: protein shake before school started at 8am
-class
Meal 3: Protein/power bar and H2O as I walked between classes... classes were 90mins long w/ 10min break in between
-class
Meal 4: Sandwhich with meat and cheese, piece of fruit, single serving bag of mixed nuts... this was during my lunch break
-class
Meal 5: PB&J sandwhich
-class
Meal 6: Protein shake... I stuck some powder in a shaker bottle and mixed with water after school

worked out

Meal 7: protein shake and glass of OJ

Meal 8: dinner... whatever my mom cooked

Meal 9: before bed, a big glass of milk

reminds me of grade 9

V
01-10-09, 5:51 am
Heh, a nice surprise to wake up to such a post, Mark!

How can I find out how much fat I have in my body? I've been thin all my life, weighting 132 pounds when I first started lifting 6 months ago, and I try to never eat fat...

Healthy fats - in what food could one find them? I see you reference mixed nuts here. By nuts do you mean peanuts? If so, I can take care of this one.

I will definitely remember your yogurt recommendation and will purchase a few as soon as I hit a store. Regular, plain, no flavor yogurt.

As for sugar, except the Snickers bar I was eating at school, I can't say that I eat candy or drink soda. I only drink water and I'm not big on candy, I prefer my meat, hah!

Once you'll inform me on how to find out my % of body fat, I will calculate the necessary amounts of protein, carbs and fats and see with what foods I'm going to reach those numbers, in the following days.

Thanks a lot for the posts, man! I was thinking before starting this journey that, except for having a quick place to see my progress, I won't impress anyone or stuff like that, but it's good to know people here can stop you from making mistakes.

prowrestler
01-10-09, 10:56 am
unless you go get a caliper test, you wont know what bf% you are

post a picture though and i can give a good guess.

but really, at 154 or whatever, i wouldnt worry to much, keep it simple.

eat alot of meat and nutrient dense foods every 3 hours. simple

pedraza
01-10-09, 10:59 am
i second that you have to eat big to get big. so eat up

mark
01-10-09, 2:59 pm
Don't worry to much about trying to figure out your body fat percentage...
Just use the diet i posted and make it fit your schedule as best as possible... However, you must get in every meal.
And for the sandwhiches, use whole grain or wheat bread... no white bread if possible
As for the yogurt, get a flavor you would actually enjoy eating. Just don't get the crap that has the candy in it
And for mixed nuts, i mean a mixture of nuts. Like almonds, cashews, peanuts, postachios, walnuts, peacans, etc.

V
01-12-09, 3:40 pm
I didn't have time today to post the weights and all that, but what's important is that the only problem encountered was that I did 4 reps with the last weight on chest, instead of 5, it being the 1x3 from Friday.

Still working on my meals, to make it more strict and hit the numbers. Found some sunflower seeds, only the inside part (I have no idea nor will to find out now), raw, that are around 600 calories per 100g, 30g out of this being protein (a LOT, even if you consider meat). Still, a lot of this is fat, but I'm guessing it isn't harmful, because I would only eat one pack per day, probably with what I eat at school. Sunflower seeds and peanuts. Surprisingly great nutritional value!

Good night!

V
01-15-09, 11:06 am
Sorry for not updating with the Wednesday weights but I've been extremely busy and have had problems with the internet connection on top of that...

For just a quick report, I raised the weight on the military press to about 92 pounds (42KG) and I could only do 2 reps by myself. That's only a 2KG raise over last week, where I managed to do all my reps. Will continue using these weights until I hit all the reps.

Other than that, everything has been smooth. I have a feeling I'm not deadlifting properly and I will try reading BEYOND BRAWN and Rippetoe's STARTING STRENGTH as soon as I get free time (this weekend, maybe even next week) to improve my technique.

School semester is about to end so teachers are shoving materia/homework/tests down our throats and it's getting bad for my free/internet time.

Thanks to the people who have helped me, thus far. I can only hope to remain injury-free and keep raising them weights! :)

V
01-19-09, 1:31 pm
Monday

Squat - 5x5 - 44, 54, 64, 74 and 86KG. (97, 119, 141, 163 and 189 pounds)
Bench - 5x5 - 34, 44, 52, 60 and 70KG. (74, 97, ~140, 132 and 154 pounds)
Rows - 5x5 - 30, 40, 50, 58 and 66KG. (66, 88, 110, 127 and 145 pounds)

Compared to Friday, where I blasted 3 reps with the last weights in this post, today was pretty bad. I am obsessed with doing all my reps with proper form and no help. The squat was pretty hard, compared to usual, and it was tough for me to do all 5 reps, but I did.

The bench is another story. Did only 3 reps. Rows, the same.

Assistance went OK and it was for the first time where I did all 4 sets of sit-ups.

The Sun
01-19-09, 1:44 pm
subbed, I'm doing somewhat the same thing like you (just doing the SS)
looking to see you gain!

V
01-23-09, 1:46 pm
Friday

Squat - 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - 44, 54, 64, 74, 88, 32 KG.
Bench - 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - 34, 44, 52, 60, 72, 52 KG.
Rows - 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 - 30, 40, 50, 58, 66, 50 KG.

Pretty lowsy day. This whole week, the only continuous aspect of my training and dieting was the lack of good food. I didn't eat as much as I ate last week, and this has apparently taken its toll on me.

Squats, did them all. Thing is, I have an injury on my left leg, where the leg meets the pelvis. I believe I stretched a muscle when doing some wider-than-usual squats (before second reading of STARTING STRENGTH) and it's been 2 weeks since it's hurting. Applied some anti-inflammatory cream today and will see whether the pain gives out, eventually.

Bench, like always, is lagging. Could do about one rep, all by myself, with the 1x3 weight. For the other 2 reps, I had some small help from my spotter. This weight is 2KG bigger than the weight from last Friday, where I did all 3...

Rows - slightly cheated the last rep for the last 4x5 series and the 1x3. All in all, my back is getting stronger.

What I've noticed with all this eating and Animal supplements - energy (I'm not lacking it), a fondness of food, some great vein dilatation (I'm loving this aspect!) and a slight slight slight increase in strength, evidenced by my continuous progress on the deadlift and squats, as well as rows (but not as much). Biceps, triceps and forearms have gotten bigger. I always had big legs, so I'm not commenting on that. As for chest, because I've never measured their exact specs, I'm not precise in saying that I notice a small increase in size.

I have to say this thread has helped me more than I could have imagined, especially on the nutrition part. For next month, I want to replace Pump with M-Stak. While I love the veins and how the muscles get bigger when I work them, I would think M-Stak would help me more right now, to put on some quality meat, weight on the bar, and strength.

The Sun, thanks for stopping by. What do you mean by SS? Are you on the 5x5?

The Sun
01-23-09, 2:46 pm
solid work bro!

SS (Starting Strength) is the routine I'm doing, looks like this:

A:
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

B:
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Power clean 5x3

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

V
01-23-09, 4:12 pm
Thanks, man!

Now I understand.

I'll drop by your thread tomorrow and check it out. Today has been hard for me and it's going to be the first Saturday since SEPTEMBER in which I'll sleep properly!

The Sun
01-23-09, 4:16 pm
Thanks, man!

Now I understand.

I'll drop by your thread tomorrow and check it out. Today has been hard for me and it's going to be the first Saturday since SEPTEMBER in which I'll sleep properly!

sleep well.

V
01-26-09, 1:40 pm
Quick message - because even after applying some cream on where it hurt, I still have problems while squatting, I've decided to take a week off.

I'll be doing this week with the same weights as the previous one so as to prevent further injury, keep using cream on my leg, eat big, sleep, don't do any exercise, take my Pak & M-Stak and hope that by the following week I'll be 100% healed...

What is your experience with recovery from a stretched muscle?

The Sun
01-26-09, 1:48 pm
when I had my lower back injured I also took several days off, and deloaded the weight to work my form. did so atleast 2 times till I got the form.
never used any creams or anything, just a good sleep and some high reps to get blood flowing there - my case = back extensions.

get well bro.

V
02-14-09, 11:09 am
This first week, after starting again, has been quite amazing.

First of all, I got my weights down a little bit. Bench and Deadlift remain the same, while Rows are down just a few KG and Squats way down, at 62 KG max. In time, I will raise them back to where I was, but I can't really risk it right now, as I need to make the adductors stronger.

I've also purchased Flex, which I've been taking for a week. No noticeable effects but doctors say Glucosamine works in months, if not years.

Third, I have to say M-STAK is probably the first shit that actually worked! I gained 3 pounds in a week (I took the first week while resting, with no increase in body weight, while the second week was with lifting). My diet averages 3000 calories a day, something around that...

I haven't yet made a diet, calculated to the very last calorie, because a 4200 calorie one would cost me way too much, so I'm eating whatever I can, alternating each meal between predominantly carbs and predominantly protein.

My new secret weapon is peanut butter! Tasty, 100 calories to the teaspoon!

Thanks to all who have helped me from here and I can only say that M-STAK will be a staple in my supps from now on, besides the Pak, which has helped me remain the only kid in class without a cold.

From next week I will begin writing all my workouts again, with the proper weights for each one. I'm now doing squats exactly as noted in STARTING STRENGTH, as well as proper deadlifts (it's the first time I'm actually feeling like I'm doing them right, I would start from a position closer to the one of the squat, when down) and proper press (while standing, not seated. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough strength to support a weight above my head, but I surprised myself!)

The Sun
02-14-09, 1:17 pm
great to have you back bro.

V
02-17-09, 8:55 am
Monday

Yeah, it's Tuesday, but I was pretty much tired and busy yesterday, so I'm posting the weights now.

Squats - 30, 38, 46, 54, 62KG.
Bench - 36, 44, 52, 62, 70KG.
Rows - 30, 40, 46, 54, 62KG.

I know how your deadlift should be bigger than your squat, that should be bigger than your bench and that should be bigger than your rows and presses.

I reset the squat weight so I can do them with PERFECT form (especially keeping my knees out, way out). In time, I can raise the squat weight faster than the bench weight.

As for completeness, I did all the required sets, minus the last rep on benches, where I had a little bit of assistance, as per the spotter's words.

Truth be told, I am stronger. One exercise where I can see this is the bench, where I couldn't do 4*70 with such excellent form and without getting tired.

Can't wait for Wednesday. Deadlifts are brutal, and the proper, upright presses are fun fun fun!

The Sun
02-17-09, 10:04 am
awesome work brother. good call to reset the squats! this is very important for the long-time run.

V
02-18-09, 11:43 am
Wednesday

Hellish day.

Squats - 30, 38, 46, 46KG.
Press - 20, 24, 28, 32KG.
Deadlift - 50, 58, 68, 78KG.

Hell, for today, has been the DEADLIFT. The last set killed me. I managed good form and I did 4 out of 5 reps just right. The last one got off the ground slow, and I feel as though I didn't get it right.

Press, last set, one rep helped.

The Sun
02-18-09, 11:45 am
great job bro!
what you saying bout the DEADS? did you get the lockout on the 5th rep?

V
02-18-09, 4:14 pm
I did lock out, thing was I didn't feel like I lifted it properly. Can't really explain myself, I'll just have to sleep and eat my way until next week and hope that I can do it better.

The Sun
02-18-09, 4:31 pm
I did lock out, thing was I didn't feel like I lifted it properly. Can't really explain myself, I'll just have to sleep and eat my way until next week and hope that I can do it better.

If you locked the rep then there's nothing that should bother you.
try to focus a little more next time on chest up and rigid back :)