PDA

View Full Version : Accutane & Animal

HOCKEY TEMPER
01-09-09, 5:18 pm
I start a 6-month cycle of the prescription drug Accutane tommorow. Accutane it's self is really demanding on the liver. I was curious as to what Animal products I should be wary of taking because of their effect on the liver. Currently, I just take pak and Universals Beta Ala9. I was really looking forward to trying mstak soon but should I wait until i'm done taking Accutane? Also should I scrap pak and Betala9?

Also is there anything in basic whey, BCAA/EEA, waxy maze, or l-arginine supplements that I should avoid because they bypass the liver or have an effect on it?

My dermatologist said to drop all supplements including whey and my multi-v for 6-months. But that's just fucking not happening. Any feedback would be helpful.

simpleguy
01-09-09, 5:35 pm
I don't understand why your dermatologist would say that... supplements do not really have an effect on the liver

GJN5002
01-09-09, 5:40 pm
All those supps should be fine, they arent being broken down in the liver but absorbed in the stomach/small intestine. Really high protein intake can put a small strain on the kidneys and liver but Im talking 500-600 plus grams and its not that significant. Ive heard accutane works really well, my best advice is just avoid excess alchohol and keep your water intake up.

Big Wides
01-09-09, 6:03 pm
Dude, listen to your doctor they are right. I assume that while on accutane you have to go for periodic blood tests which is a normal for the accutane protocal. I was on it and what the drug is going to do to you internally and externally I WOULD NOT take any suppliments while on Accutane. Up your food intake that will cover you. I would hate to see you do damage to yourself because you decided to go against what your doctor said and listened to people who aren't doctors

Big Wides
01-09-09, 6:04 pm
I don't understand why your dermatologist would say that... supplements do not really have an effect on the liver

But Accutane does

HOCKEY TEMPER
01-09-09, 8:24 pm
Dude, listen to your doctor they are right. I assume that while on accutane you have to go for periodic blood tests which is a normal for the accutane protocal. I was on it and what the drug is going to do to you internally and externally I WOULD NOT take any suppliments while on Accutane. Up your food intake that will cover you. I would hate to see you do damage to yourself because you decided to go against what your doctor said and listened to people who aren't doctors

True. You think my body would be straight just using whey post-workout? I'm gonna scrap the other shit for the time being...on another note, were your lifts affected by accutane? did you notice any joint pains?

HOCKEY TEMPER
01-09-09, 8:25 pm
Water intake is definetely going be a gallon minimum. And I do have monthly blood tests.

Pizzalamp
01-09-09, 9:19 pm
i would adjust your diet before taking accutane
i was thinking of using accutane but once i fixed my diet my face cleared up
i also helped 4 good friends of mine clear their faces through diet-and they all wanted accutane
acne is caused by insulin release andd the incorrect amount of fatty acids in your diet in the body-control your insulin and the ratio of efas and bye bye acne

TheBassGuy
01-09-09, 11:41 pm
I took accutane around this time last year. My dermatologist recommended I stop taking all supplements including Pak and refrain from 'strenuous exercise'.

I found on accutane my joints ached like crazy, so i basically went down to using really light weights for the course of my treatment.

Accutane is the drug that can make you miserable while you're on it, but it's totally worth it in the end. Good luck with it.

Big Wides
01-09-09, 11:43 pm
True. You think my body would be straight just using whey post-workout? I'm gonna scrap the other shit for the time being...on another note, were your lifts affected by accutane? did you notice any joint pains?

Just focus on your diet, it will help you more than you know it. As for the joint pain and weights, I took it 9 years ago so I can't remember it all that well

simpleguy
01-10-09, 2:12 am
But Accutane does

.... that was not my point

I thought he asked whether supps will do any damage to his liver whilst on Accutane... so I said that it's not the supps which will have any effect

HOCKEY TEMPER
01-12-09, 11:21 am
bump

Alk
09-08-09, 12:59 pm
Ok guys, I've seen the picture one of the mods posted on this forum awhile back that labeled all of the pills, but with the recent changes to the Animal Pak, which pill contains Vitamin A? I've compared mine with the picture, and can't figure out which one it is.

The reason I'm asking: I'm on Accutane, this acne medicine that apparently, isn't supposed to be mixed with large amounts of Vitamin A. Accutane is some concoction of Vitamin A...and apparently you can overdose on Vitamin A by taking both? Idk, this is mostly Google talking.

Anyway, I've been taking Pak in the morning as usual, but taking the Accutane with food at night and haven't seen any problems. However, I feel that I should find the specific pill for Vitamin A and remove it, can anyone help me out?

Phil800101
09-08-09, 1:31 pm
Ok guys, I've seen the picture one of the mods posted on this forum awhile back that labeled all of the pills, but with the recent changes to the Animal Pak, which pill contains Vitamin A? I've compared mine with the picture, and can't figure out which one it is.

The reason I'm asking: I'm on Accutane, this acne medicine that apparently, isn't supposed to be mixed with large amounts of Vitamin A. Accutane is some concoction of Vitamin A...and apparently you can overdose on Vitamin A by taking both? Idk, this is mostly Google talking.

Anyway, I've been taking Pak in the morning as usual, but taking the Accutane with food at night and haven't seen any problems. However, I feel that I should find the specific pill for Vitamin A and remove it, can anyone help me out?

I'm not 100% certain. Regardless, you should talk to your doctor.

Altered Beast
09-08-09, 1:41 pm
The reason Doc's worry about accutane and vitamin A is because it can cause liver toxicity. Vitamin A is fat soluble and takes longer to digest out of your system. Accutane can also shoot up levels of Vitamin A in the liver.

I took accutane years ago myself. Just take 300mg of milkthistle 2 times a day and your liver will hold up just fine. PAK contains 250mg of milkthistle (which you take at breakfast), so just take the 300mg capsules at lunch and dinner.

Your Doctor will not tell you this because it undermines his or her opinions. They would rather you not even take any supplements at all, so screw em!

Alk
09-08-09, 2:39 pm
The reason Doc's worry about accutane and vitamin A is because it can cause liver toxicity. Vitamin A is fat soluble and takes longer to digest out of your system. Accutane can also shoot up levels of Vitamin A in the liver.

I took accutane years ago myself. Just take 300mg of milkthistle 2 times a day and your liver will hold up just fine. PAK contains 250mg of milkthistle (which you take at breakfast), so just take the 300mg capsules at lunch and dinner.

Your Doctor will not tell you this because it undermines his or her opinions. They would rather you not even take any supplements at all, so screw em!

Yeahh I'm worried about that too, because I don't wanna get a bad blood test and end up with high numbers or anything because of this. I had ONE somewhat high # show up on my first blood test, and the medicine was delayed a week b/c I had to see my doctor and stuff ><. I'm also planning on drinking a little while on it...so I'm still worried about what my liver test results are gonna be and everything.

Thanks for the suggestion, there's a GNC within a 10 min. walk of my campus, so I'll go get some tomorrow after class.

I'm not 100% certain. Regardless, you should talk to your doctor.

He would probably tell me to stop taking them entirely, he doesn't seem to understand a weightlifter's lifestyle/diet/supps. Also, I'm at college away from my real doctor, and I'm not even sure if there would be anyone to talk to about that stuff on campus.

Thanks for the response tho man, appreciate it =D

Altered Beast
09-08-09, 2:46 pm
No problem, remember it's called Medical Research or Medical Practice for a reason. They don't truly know what they're doing.

Bartles
09-08-09, 3:19 pm
No problem, remember it's called Medical Research or Medical Practice for a reason. They don't truly know what they're doing.

Woah! Docs know their stuff, maybe not as well as nutrition, or small nitch things like we do, and how it applies to us, but that is not to say they are clueless. Like in every profession, you have legit great doctors, and not so great ones.

Phil800101
09-08-09, 3:22 pm
Woah! Docs know their stuff, maybe not as well as nutrition, or small nitch things like we do, and how it applies to us, but that is not to say they are clueless. Like in every profession, you have legit great doctors, and not so great ones.

Agreed.

Your liver is not something to mess around with. I would strongly recommend consulting a doctor about this...you might be surprised, there are many doctors out there who are very supportive of training, diet, and supplementation.

Alk
09-08-09, 10:32 pm
Agreed.

Your liver is not something to mess around with. I would strongly recommend consulting a doctor about this...you might be surprised, there are many doctors out there who are very supportive of training, diet, and supplementation.

Mine's one of those classic, deadlifts-do-nothing-for-you, kind of doctors. I don't see him budging on the subject, unfortunately. He's also very ignorant of my diet and training, always suggesting things that....I'm already doing. I'm not asking him to know everything I do, but I'd think the guy would've noticed my healthy 30 pound weight gain and would've backed off by now =/.

When I go back home for another blood test, I'll see if I can see him or my dermatologist though. Better safe then sorry I guess, thanks again for the advice Phil.

t_mh
09-08-09, 11:01 pm
It might be possible to contact a sports medicine doc at your school. He might say more pro-training stuff and if he shot down the pak at least you couldn't blame bias. Just a thought. I personally would not fuck with my liver.

Aggression
09-09-09, 8:45 am
Best thing to do is to ask a doctor. Ask him about his feelings on Accutane and extra Vitamin A intake. You don't need to necessarily tell him you're taking a supplement/Animal Pak.

Alk
09-10-09, 2:14 am
Best thing to do is to ask a doctor. Ask him about his feelings on Accutane and extra Vitamin A intake. You don't need to necessarily tell him you're taking a supplement/Animal Pak.

It might be possible to contact a sports medicine doc at your school. He might say more pro-training stuff and if he shot down the pak at least you couldn't blame bias. Just a thought. I personally would not fuck with my liver.

Thanks guys, I'll def talk to some sort of doctor then. Thanks for the help

BigTimCoats
03-09-10, 12:25 am
Hey guys, i've been on accutane for my skin for about two months. I've wanted to start taking animalpak but can't take any Vitamin A thats not from beta Carotene, because it could cause an overdose in conjunction with Accutane. I was wondering which pill in the animalpak contains Vitamin A so i can simply just remove it and down the rest of the pack. Thanks for the help! Stay strong