PDA

View Full Version : No microwave at work! Lunch ideas?

Against The Grain
01-10-09, 3:50 pm
I am an electrician an we do not have access to a microwave at work. Anyone have creative lunch ideas. What about food safety? Can i take cold chicken?...............

Pizzalamp
01-10-09, 3:52 pm
i bring a portable cooler w/ me that has ice packs in it

or u can get canned chicken or the tuna packs

sanga
01-10-09, 4:23 pm
I take cold steak cut into cube and have salad or spinach leaves with it or cold cooked rice.

Same can be done with any meat or fish.

Cstlfx
01-10-09, 4:26 pm
Sandwiches!! They also sell packs of tuna (no draining necessary), vacuum sealed chicken breast, and tuna filets. You could eat cold chicken breasts, as long as they're cooked, theres nothing wrong with that.

T o m m Y
01-10-09, 6:31 pm
i cook chicken and steak on my foreman in the morning and throw that shit in a thermous..

TigerAce01
01-10-09, 6:49 pm
Do what Ox does and just get yourself some glassware and eat your food cold. As long as it's cooked and sealed up in a ziplock or glassware (or any Tupperware container), you're good to go.

My favorite cold meats are steak and chicken, and favorite cold carbs are rice, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes.

MELTDOWN
01-10-09, 7:32 pm
"back in the day" (82-86) when i helped my dad build houses, we would pack pre cooked food and keep in a cooler until lunch. we had an aluminum plate we kept in the truck, and at lunch, crank the truck, let the engine warm up with the alum. plate on it, then put the food, wrapped in foil, on it to warm. it never got piping hot, but suitably warm. backwoods bbq

born0withno0soul
01-10-09, 7:35 pm
if it isnt frozen you can eat it

TigerAce01
01-10-09, 8:29 pm
"back in the day" (82-86) when i helped my dad build houses, we would pack pre cooked food and keep in a cooler until lunch. we had an aluminum plate we kept in the truck, and at lunch, crank the truck, let the engine warm up with the alum. plate on it, then put the food, wrapped in foil, on it to warm. it never got piping hot, but suitably warm. backwoods bbq

That's awesome...

stringed bean
01-10-09, 8:54 pm
i'm an electrician to man we have one microwave between a crew of about 15 guys!! buy a cheap one ( get everyone to toss in 5$ each if your with a crew) its worth it, hot food is alot better than cold plate.

jer
01-10-09, 10:01 pm
i cook chicken and steak on my foreman in the morning and throw that shit in a thermous..

EXACTLY!!!

I ate sandwiches for years, FUCK THAT SHIT! lol So sick of them.

Get yourself a food thermos. I've got one of these..... http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx?CatCode=FOOD&SubcategoryID=8&ProductID=293

I cook in bulk and weigh out servings and put it all in Tupperware. Throw it in the microwave in the morning and put it right in the thermos and it's still hot at lunch time.

I usually do steak and rice, just cuz I love it. Some times it's chicken and rice, sometimes steak and potatoes.
So much better than a cold sandwich, especially when it's cold out.

LegendKillerJosh
01-12-09, 12:39 pm
EXACTLY!!!

I ate sandwiches for years, FUCK THAT SHIT! lol So sick of them.

Get yourself a food thermos. I've got one of these..... http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx?CatCode=FOOD&SubcategoryID=8&ProductID=293

I cook in bulk and weigh out servings and put it all in Tupperware. Throw it in the microwave in the morning and put it right in the thermos and it's still hot at lunch time.

I usually do steak and rice, just cuz I love it. Some times it's chicken and rice, sometimes steak and potatoes.
So much better than a cold sandwich, especially when it's cold out.

that's the way to go. luckily I have access to ovens where I work so I can reheat anything I want. but there is plenty of cold foods that are good. Chicken/tuna/salmon salad is always delicious, hard boiled eggs, make your own pasta salad, whatever.

Aggression
01-12-09, 12:44 pm
That thermos idea is a good way to go. I never heard of something like that.

The only other option I'd have is to just pound down the sandwiches loaded with meat.

arsilva
01-12-09, 8:21 pm
thermos/cooler is the prime option imo. if all else fails though, vacuum sealed salmon, tuna, and chicken packets always work. I MUCH prefer the bumblebee salmon to Chicken of the Sea fyi. and make sure, if you get canned/packed fish/poultry, that it's in water, not in oil, i find the taste to nearly gag me if it's in oil.

castilo
01-12-09, 9:24 pm
I am an electrician an we do not have access to a microwave at work. Anyone have creative lunch ideas. What about food safety? Can i take cold chicken?...............

I take chicken breast to school warm in the morning but when lunch comes it is cold as shit! The shits nasty but is good for me. I eat it but it seems to ok. The only thing I might get later is gas.

castilo
01-12-09, 9:24 pm
How much is a thermo cooler? I searched for it on walmart once but couldn't find one. I could use on of those.

Mizzarler
01-12-09, 11:17 pm
i would buy a cheap microwave hook it up out there if theyll let you, or get a thermus

C.Coronato
01-13-09, 4:08 pm
get a heated cooler that plugs into a 12volt in your car. That way you can keep your food for a while. If not get the thermos. Best of luck man.

TortFeasor
01-13-09, 4:59 pm
Cooler is the way to go. When I was clerking this summer, I just made all my meals the night before and tossed em in. I used blue ice packs to keep it cool and just ate it cold. Never bothered me much, and cold turkey is actually pretty damn good.

C.Coronato
01-13-09, 5:03 pm
funny you say that, cause im eating cold turkey as we speak. haha

killinweight
01-13-09, 7:21 pm
nothin wrong with cold chicken. maybe do a salad in tupperware with some chicken or steak on top.