PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Workout Supps necessary?

sportsfan4110
01-11-09, 12:10 pm
Do pre-workout supps like pump or shock therapy really help to build muscle? I know food it the best thing for building muscle but is it necessary to have a pre-workout supp to build muscle? i know they help with the pump and energy levels but if i take a caffeine pill before i have the same amount of energy as i do when i take ST.

rhane
01-11-09, 12:41 pm
To be completely honest, the best thing to have before a workout is solid energy - coming from real food an hour or two beforehand. If you want a kick beforehand, some caffeine and some simple sugars and aminos will do the trick. I think Storm has all of these things all in one tub. I've never found any NO supplements especially helpful, but being a company sponsored forum you might hear otherwise around here.

If you really want to try something, get two scoops of torrent and mix it with a quarter to a half serving of real gains. It will digest and absorb very quickly, has plenty of carbs and protein, and the energy lasts. Hitting your body beforehand with this mix, and then refueling with it during your workout will put you in an optimally anabolic state. You can drink this before, during, and after your workout. To me, its perfect. And btw, don't try mixing the chocolate real gains with strawberry torrent. The vanilla works best.

Brick By Brick
01-11-09, 12:45 pm
Pre-workout supps are not necessary, so to say, but they do help. I'm not going to explain everything Shock Therapy and Storm do, but they have worked very well for me. I believe it's an extra edge that's worth taking, IMHO.

Feel The Power
01-11-09, 1:00 pm
I've never thought about trying torrent pre-workout. Anyone tried this with good results?? I usually do pump pre-workout, but I lift around 5:30am and I'm not a morning person. So this gets me awake and ready to go during my drive up to the gym.

simpleguy
01-11-09, 1:17 pm
I've never thought about trying torrent pre-workout. Anyone tried this with good results?? I usually do pump pre-workout, but I lift around 5:30am and I'm not a morning person. So this gets me awake and ready to go during my drive up to the gym.

I am a big fan of sipping torrent during your workout... and I mean more then 3 scoops, a double or triple serving and we're talking... however, considering you're lifting so early you probably can use the boost from pump, so I wouldn't replace it... if you got the cash, get some more torrent and use more then 3 scoops throughout your workout

sportsfan4110
01-12-09, 3:53 pm
[QUOTE=rhane;609692]To be completely honest, the best thing to have before a workout is solid energy - coming from real food an hour or two beforehand. If you want a kick beforehand, some caffeine and some simple sugars and aminos will do the trick. I think Storm has all of these things all in one tub. I've never found any NO supplements especially helpful, but being a company sponsored forum you might hear otherwise around here.QUOTE]

Yeah i always eat a good solid meal about an hour before workout with carbs and protein. ST and other NO products do gives me a little boost in the gym but i usually get the same with just caffeine. I think ill just save a little money and just buy some aminos to take with some Storm to take pre to get me going a little bit.

C.Coronato
01-12-09, 4:47 pm
Shock Therapy is great for a Pre-Workout. Also intra-aid is great for during workouts. However neither is absolutely neccessary, but there are def. advances in weight pushing. Good Luck.

Aggression
01-14-09, 1:10 pm
Pre workouts can be a great addition to a workout. They definitely help with strength and endurance in the gym. However, I feel that you mustn't allow your body to become dependent on them. I had a tub of Shock Therapy, but I only use it 1-2x/week, when I feel I need the extra boost after a long day. Otherwise, a nice cup of coffee will do. I also have a stash of 'red pills' from my M-stak can that I saved up. I pop them whenever I need a quick boost.

TigerAce01
01-14-09, 2:21 pm
They are absolutely not necessary, look at all of the old school bodybuilders, they barely used any stimulants at all, much less specialized stuff. But on that same note, preworkout supps are an awesome way to jack up your intensity in the gym. For me, they help build muscle through their creatine content and through their ability to increase bloodflow, but the main reason they help build muscle is due to the fact that I can push out a couple more reps, therefore breaking down more muscle which will come back stronger.

-Ace

rocky36
01-14-09, 3:40 pm
no supplement is necessary. None. Of course they can help and usally do, but they are not something you should become dependent on. Your diet should be your first priority

JMC
01-14-09, 9:02 pm
Do pre-workout supps like pump or shock therapy really help to build muscle? I know food it the best thing for building muscle but is it necessary to have a pre-workout supp to build muscle? i know they help with the pump and energy levels but if i take a caffeine pill before i have the same amount of energy as i do when i take ST.

It sounds as though you may be thinking about it the wrong way. Think about the basics of building muscle... very basic mind you... you hit the gym, break down X muscle group, eat, rest, eat, rest, repeat. At what point in time does the muscle building process occur? Supplements are exactly that, supplementation to your diet. I like to think of them as facilitators. They assist to provide for an environment (in your body) to make the above process easier.