PDA

View Full Version : my first attempt at a log

tkestu
01-11-09, 7:16 pm
Hope to keep this up as time and motivation permit. Will start today with my leg routine. wasn't the greatest, sleep last night wasn't good so it might have affected me. And the leg press was broken...I wasn't thrilled with that.

10min elliptical warmup

Squat: bar x10
135 x10
185 x8
225 x6
275 x6
275 x6

Front Squat:

135 x 8 AtG for 3 sets

Walking DB lunges

30lb DBs x 20 steps for 2 sets

Alternating leg extensions:

90lb on the machine x 10 each leg then both legs for 10, for 3 sets

Stiff leg BB Deads:

135 x 10 superset with lying ham curls with 110lb on machine for 10, for 3 sets

Seated Calf raises:

90 x 25
115 x 20
140 x 15 - all 3 sets superset with standing calf raises on calf roller

It was a decent lift, although my squats felt heavier than normal and no leg press was shitty. Either way I waddled out of the gym. I welcome any comments, advice, questions, etc. Tomorrow will be chest, gonna try and hit it hard as it's my weak point.

tkestu
01-13-09, 12:12 pm
Monday was back day, didn't go real heavy on anything but instead really focused on squeezing at peak contraction...wow am I sore today

10 min on elliptical for warmup

pull ups: 3 sets of 10 bodyweight

BB rows:

135 x 10 x 3 sets

seated cable rows:

170 x 10
210 x 10
270 x 8

straight arm pulldowns:

48 on stack x 10 for 3 sets

DB one arm rows:

110 x 10
120 x 10
130 x 8

BB shrugs: (missed 'em last week)

135 x 20
225 x 15
315 x 15

30 min on elliptical post workout

Like I said overall not moving much serious weight, and my legs were still fried from Sunday so I couldn't see doing deads as a smart move. Good lift though as today I'm nice and sore all over, squeezing on those BB rows really hit me good. Today is an off day, give me a chance to make some food for the next few days. I'll post tomorrow for my lift as well.

C.Coronato
01-13-09, 12:15 pm
Keep up the work brother. And glad to have you on board.

tkestu
01-13-09, 12:55 pm
Thanks bro, glad to be here. Thanks for the support

tkestu
01-14-09, 4:54 pm
Today I did some shoulders, first time in a month. I took some time off due to a right shoulder injury, and after today I think it has improved greatly...thank god. Stayed away from heavy stuff since it was first time back post injury.

10 min warmup on elliptical

DB military press:

55 x 10
70 x 10
80 x 10

Standing Lat raises:

25 x 10
30 x 10
40 x 8

Front raises:

30 x 10
35 x 8
40 x 6

Standing side rows:

60 x 12
70 x 10
80 x 8 each set superset with bent over lat raises 25lbs x 10,10,8

BB Upright rows:

95 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 8

High cable rows:

3 sets x 60lb on the machine, pulling straight to my throat to hit my traps.

Cardio:

40 min elliptical (kicked my ass too)

Overall not a bad lift for just getting back into the swing of it with shoulders. Didn't feel any sharp pains like before so I'm pretty thrilled. Trying to really hit the cardio consistently everytime (except leg day) as im tryin to cut. Prob take tomorrow off too, post chest on Friday, arms Sat, legs Sun.

tkestu
01-14-09, 4:57 pm
and I've dropped 3lbs since I started this deal 11 days ago. Pretty happy with that progress level, see where it takes me. Gotta love Animal Cuts

C.Coronato
01-15-09, 12:47 pm
lookin good brotha. and your doing the right thing about taking it easy with the weights. Dont fuck your shoulder up for the future just cause u want it big now. Looking good tho, ill be here watching my friend.

tkestu
01-15-09, 1:57 pm
Again I appreciate the support brother, it helps as I'm sure you're aware. I've had some shoulder pain off and on (mostly off) for about 3 years, but recently went too deep and too heavy on DB incline flyes and pissed it off haha. It feels good today so I'm thinking couple more weeks of moderate weights and reps and I can get back to full steam ahead.

C.Coronato
01-15-09, 2:14 pm
ya brotha thats what we all here for. As far as taking it easy just slightly go up every week. You'll be back fully before you know it!

tkestu
01-16-09, 2:10 pm
alright today was chest day, and keeping my right shoulder still in mind I watched what I was doing. Did all DB work today and no incline, just to avoid too much pressure on that right delt. Not a bad lift, sleep last night was still a little restless. I swear the Animal Cuts is making me have the weirdest dreams, they started the night I first took it.

DB flat bench:

60 x 12 (warmup)
80 x 10
100 x 10
110 x 8
Flat DB flyes:

40 x 10
45 x 8
50 x 8

Alternating DB press:

70 x 10
80 x 8
90 x 6

Pec deck flyes:

110 x 12
150 x 10
170 x 8

Medicine ball pushups: (small med ball under one hand only)

2 sets of 20, ten with the ball under each hand
1 set of 16, ten one way and complete failure at 6 on the other side haha. Good stuff!

Cardio:

45min on elliptical

Again today as with my back workout I focused on squeezing my pecs at peak contraction and I really felt it, and fell flat on the mat on that last set of pushups. Chest was pretty tight, and the cardio just kicked my ass. Tomorrow I'll do arms/abs and sunday...back to good 'ole LEGS! Love it.

C.Coronato
01-16-09, 2:37 pm
thats a great feeling after your last set of pushups. Thats what this life is all about brother.

tkestu
01-19-09, 11:38 pm
Okay gotta post up two workouts, yesterday and today...legs and arms. Legs was a good day, and so was arms. I'll say that after my last set of squats which was a drop set, I damn near spewed it right on the fucking mirror in front of the rack. God it felt good. I felt ALIVE! I'm gonna post arms separately to keep things in order for myself.

10min warmup on elliptical

Squats:

bar x 12 to the floor just to stretch my ass out
135 x 10 warmup a little more
185 x 10
225 x 10
245 x 8
275 x 6
295 x 4/ 225 x 8/ 135 x 12 (drop set) this is where i about puked :)

Leg press: Unfortunately the free weight sled style press is STILL down, so i had to use a machine...I was pretty pissed.

150 x 25
210 x 15
250 x 12
90 x 45 these weights are meaningless to me since they are on a cable/pulley system...

leg extensions:

70 x 10 for 3 sets each leg, then together after both legs for another 12-15 just burning those fuckers right off. I have to do individual first b/c I have some nerve damage in my legs and my left quad is quite a bit weaker than my right.

stiff leg deads:

135 x 10 for 3 sets/superset with lying leg curls 110 x 10/8/8

by this time im wobbling about the weight room, looking as if I may topple over at any moment, but I don't. Instead I hit the calves in a continuous blast of heavy seated and bodyweight standing raises, no rest, 8 sets total. Fucking misery and I loved it all.

Seated raises/standing raises:

50 x 25/ bodyweight x 15
95 x 20/ bodyweight x 15
140 x 15/ bodyweight x 12
140 x 10/ bodyweight x 8

Okay, calves no longer function...and are petitioning to be removed from my body. I hobble over to the elliptical

Cardio:

15 min on elliptical

This was a great leg day for me. I felt amazing when I left. I could barely walk, the stairs out almost beat my ass. I LOVE LEG DAY.

-Stu

tkestu
01-19-09, 11:58 pm
Okay hit both bi's and tri's today at the gym. Felt good, got a pretty wicked tricep pump when i was done, could barely straighten my arms out. I tend to alternate muscles when I work them the same day, otherwise I burn out too quickly on bi's in particular. Here we go...

Straight bar curls:

bar x 10
95 x 10
105 x 8
115 x 6 already got a killer pump...just from these...shit

seated overhead DB extensions:

70 x 12
90 x 10
100 x 8
110 x 6

DB alternating curls:

35 x 10
45 x 10
55 x 8

standing 1-arm overhead DB extensions: bringing the DB down behind my head towards my opposite shoulder, not straight back. These really hit my tris good.

25 x 12
35 x 10
40 x 8

cross body DB curls:

35 x 10
40 x 8
45 x 8

bench dips:

bodyweight x 15
bw + 45 x 15
bw + 45 x 15

DB isometric curls: held one db parallel to the floor while repping the other side 15 times, then switch.

25 x 15 - each arm
35 x 8 - each arm...complete failure occurred which was the goal

Reverse grip cable pushdowns/rope pushdowns: superset burnout for the tris

104 x 10/ 84 x 10
104 x 12/ 104 x 10
104 x 12/ 104 x 9...can't move my arms anymore.

Cardio:

manage another 10 min on the elliptical and head to the hot tub to soak the last couple days lifts off. Good deal. Great lift. My arms were swollen, nice, got to feel like a big guy for about 30 minutes haha. Taking tomorrow off, start grad school tomorrow so I need to figure out my schedule and shit, homework comes first, as much as I wish it didn't have to :(

mritter3
01-20-09, 8:55 am
nice arm day bro, mine would be swollen after that as well, good luck with grad school, it is def. hard to manage homework and the iron, but you gotta do whats right for you.

C.Coronato
01-20-09, 9:30 am
look good man. Legs day looks like a killer. Check out G-Diesels Wheels of Steel. Thats what i do, shit sucks.

tkestu
01-20-09, 12:32 pm
nice arm day bro, mine would be swollen after that as well, good luck with grad school, it is def. hard to manage homework and the iron, but you gotta do whats right for you.

thanks man, I'm hoping I can still hit it 5 days a week with the same intensity as now...I'm determined.

tkestu
01-20-09, 12:37 pm
look good man. Legs day looks like a killer. Check out G-Diesels Wheels of Steel. Thats what i do, shit sucks.

thanks bro, I'm checking out volume 1 right now and it looks downright nasty haha, I'll have to try it next week.

Also gotta get back to strict eating, this past weekend I took two days off of it and just ate. Good healthy, natural stuff, just not in my macros for my cut. Ahh well back to the grind.

tkestu
01-20-09, 1:16 pm
Treetrunk,

do u train quads and hams same day? How about calves? I'm gonna try the wheels of steel workout next weekend, just wondering if u do 'em all together or not brotha. Thanks

-Stu

tkestu
01-21-09, 2:35 pm
Okay I did back today, and since I was crunched for time I hit just three exercises, but I hit 'em pretty fuckin hard. I did a little high rep volume on deads today...lemme tell ya I've done this once before, and hitting 100 reps with 225 is not the easiest thing to do, but it's awesome.

15 min cardio pre workout/warmup

Deads:

bar x 6 just to get the feel of things
135 x 10

here's where the 100 reps comes into play...in 6 sets...good 2 minutes between each set so I didn't die

225 x 15
225 x 15
225 x 15
225 x 15
225 x 15
225 x 25 - this one almost got me. Puke. Collapse. Whatever, I didn't but it was close.

Close reverse grip pulldowns:

132 x 10
168 x 8
180 x 6

1-arm lat pulldowns/regular lat pulldowns: Machine has separate handles, makes it nice to isolate each side

90 x 10 each arm + 190 x 8 regular
90 x 10 + 210 x 8
90 x 10 + 230 x 6

Ok ran out of time really, plus my forearms were absolutely fried from the deads and pulldowns.

Cardio:

15 more min on the elliptical to round it out then got the F outta there.

Good lift today, I was cashed. I gave it all on those deads man. I was/am beat. I'll be sore as shit tomorrow, amen. Got my diet pretty much aligned solid again, so I'll see what the weight is tomorrow or Friday and post it up too...hope another lb or two gone...not too much.

C.Coronato
01-21-09, 2:40 pm
Treetrunk,

do u train quads and hams same day? How about calves? I'm gonna try the wheels of steel workout next weekend, just wondering if u do 'em all together or not brotha. Thanks

-Stu

stu --

ya man, i hit all three together, but i also hit calves again on another day. The way i split my workouts up is i do the main body part: Legs,Arms,Back,Shoulders,Chest : I then add in one of these : Calves,Abs,Forearms : I rotate every day, but i make sure forearms is at least a day before or after arms, and calves are at least a day before or after legs. This way im hitting them double. I have read people split up their hams and quads, however personally i dont like it.

C.Coronato
01-21-09, 2:42 pm
and damn. 100 reps of deads, thats serious brotha. Thats commitment right there. Nice work.

tkestu
01-22-09, 12:49 pm
stu --

ya man, i hit all three together, but i also hit calves again on another day. The way i split my workouts up is i do the main body part: Legs,Arms,Back,Shoulders,Chest : I then add in one of these : Calves,Abs,Forearms : I rotate every day, but i make sure forearms is at least a day before or after arms, and calves are at least a day before or after legs. This way im hitting them double. I have read people split up their hams and quads, however personally i dont like it.

yeah i always have done mine together too, I never was a fan of splitting the leg up that much. Just wanted to see what ur take was on it since I'll be trying the Wheels of Steel routine out for the first time. I need to add calves in more too though like you, mine are lacking on the inner segment.

tkestu
01-22-09, 12:56 pm
and damn. 100 reps of deads, thats serious brotha. Thats commitment right there. Nice work.

Thanks a lot brotha, it took everything I had to get that 25th rep on my last set. My best friend's dad, who is a house of a man, gave me the 100 rep idea, and I tried it out with deads. Let me tell you my friend...my lower back is so tight right now I'm almost walking funny haha.

I'll be doing shoulders again tomorrow, hope to keep it up and maybe up the intensity a bit, right shoulder willing. I'll be careful though trust me.

NE Ohio ABC event on Saturday - prob gonna hit chest, get some grade A help and advice from some fellow Animals, it'll be nice.

I'll post up tomorrow again, as long as I get all this damn reading done for class...ha

tkestu
01-23-09, 10:36 pm
Okay did shoulders today, and had no pain at all this time which was great! I usually go around 11am, but called off work today so I went around 6pm. Horrible IDEA, so crowded and full of ppl that are half assed and cannot for their lives re-rack weights properly! Anyways, for this reason it was short and sweet

5min warmup on elliptical

BB behind neck military press:

95 x 10
135 x 10
155 x 10
185 x 8

DB lat raises:

30 x 10
40 x 8
45 x 6

DB front raises:

30 x 10
35 x 10
40 x 8

Side rows:

60 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 8

Upright rows:

95 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 8

DB one arm shrugs:

110 x 10
120 x 12
130 x 15
140 x 20

one set of DB shrugs w/ both arms - 110 x 30

no cardio today

Good lift today, had a ton of energy and no shoulder pain. In and out b/c of the crowd of stupid people.

tkestu
01-27-09, 1:23 am
Did chest on Saturday, not happy with it at all. Maybe b/c I did shoulders the day before, or because I'm cutting, or whatever...not a good lift. Either way dont remember the weights other than I stopped at 245 on flat. Did BB flat, incline DB, flat flyes, incline negs on machine, and resistance band pushups. Im sore as hell today from it.

tkestu
01-27-09, 1:26 am
Okay, tried the Wheels of Steel leg routine on for size yesterday. It was awesome/horrible. It killed my legs and I loved it. Didn't go super heavy as I was trying to get a feel for what weights to use.

Im not gonna list it all out here, u can see the routine on the site. I squatted up to 245 for 8 reps. next time I'll go a little heavier and up the weight a little on my drop set too I think. Overall, a killer, killer lift. Quads = dead. Hams = dead. Calves = wimpering/dead.

Thanks for the tip Treetrunklegs

C.Coronato
01-27-09, 10:48 am
DUDE. Wheels of steel is NO joke. I honestly look forward to it. The hack squat machine is like right in front of a mirror and i blast it staring at myself in the eyes. I just keep telling myself not to quit. I had a pretty shitty one on sunday, i was just really out of it, but i look forward to hitting it again on Friday. Glad you like it. It gets better and youll be amazed how much your legs have improved from just that one workout. Your gonna be up in every thing next week. Its great.

tkestu
01-28-09, 9:09 pm
Yeah my hack is right in front of a mirror too, and I'll tell ya that was what really got me, was those hacks after the leg press. And the superset seated/standing legs curls almost got my food out of my stomach. I can't wait to hit it again this weekend!

As it was my gym was closed today due to the foot of snow we received, so nothing today. Instead I bought a blue ray player to accompany my 50" plasma I got Sunday...i love technology haha

tkestu
01-29-09, 12:50 pm
did chest today, and felt alot better about it. My bench has dropped off quite a bit unfortunately. Just another goal for bulking I say.

10 cardio warmup

Flat BB bench:

Did bench like an animal ascending pyramid, starting with 205 for 6 and ended with 255 for 2. A good bit less than I used to press but it felt really good so I'll take it.

Incline DB press:

80 x 10
90 x 8
100 x 6

Flat DB flyes:

30 x 10
35 x 10
40 x 8

Decline BB bench:

135 x 6
225 x 2 haha my eyes were bigger than my chest...had to drop the weight
205 x 5
135 x 10

Alternating med ball pushups:

2 sets, 10 each arm, then 10 regular afterwards - failure on my second set at #6 on my right arm...again FLAT on my face on the mat. haha good shit.

15 more min of cardio, then had to dig myself out of the parking space I was in b/c they didn't plow the lot very well. Good lift, will be sore tomorrow for sure.

tkestu
02-17-09, 2:49 pm
So I haven't been able to find time anymore to post my full workouts here, school and work make it slightly impossible. However, I will say I have been getting good lifts in, dropping weight and leaning out as I wanted to. I'm looking to drop down to 210lbs and see where I stand, and decide to continue to cut or bulk from there. And I am also doing the Bench Like An Animal routine and my bench is going up, so overall I'm a pretty happy camper.

C.Coronato
02-17-09, 2:52 pm
Sounds good brother. Keep us updated on your weight and how your doing! By the dates it looks like your doin well dropping.. so that is always the first step.

tkestu
05-29-09, 11:51 am
So the semester is finally over and the overtime at work is slowing down, I can actually breathe again. I put a few pounds back on over the course of 6 weeks, about a pound a week actually, so I'm 218 right now, but back at it to get down to 210-205 ish, see how the mirror looks then. I'm itching to move heavy ass weight though so it's hard. God I hate being busy! Oh well, back to the grind.

Stu