PDA

View Full Version : Perplexing Question, Feedback Needed

rhane
01-16-09, 4:32 pm
I'll make this short. Does lifting heavy (or high intensity lifting with little rest) initiate some biological reaction that makes it difficult to cut? I'm trying to toss 10 pounds, and keeping all else the same have actually started to go up in weight - but this is not my goal.

My routine looks something like this:

Monday: 45 mins moderate to heavy lifting, full body followed by 45 mins cycling
Tuesday: 45 mins swimming
Wednesday: 45 mins lifting followed by 30 mins running
Thurs: 45 mins cycling
Friday: 45 mins lifting followed by 30 mins swimming
Saturday: 45 mins running
Sun: off

I'm taking in more calories after the workouts to sustain the high volume, but my overall daily caloric intake isn't much higher. Any thoughts?

sanga
01-16-09, 4:49 pm
I'm taking in more calories after the workouts to sustain the high volume, but my overall daily caloric intake isn't much higher. Any thoughts?

Must be too high mate, you may well be gaining muscle and losing fat.

rhane
01-16-09, 4:54 pm
I think you may be right. I was also wondering if it could have to do with increased glycogen storage in my muscles due to the overload from the lifting.

In terms of calories expended vs calories needed to prevent overtraining, does anyone have a handle on what percentage of calories need to be replaced following a super high volume workout?

An example: say I light up 1000 during any one training session, what would an adequate post workout caloric requirement be to repair the muscles for the next session, yet not be too much as to hinder a cut? 50% ?

sanga
01-16-09, 5:00 pm
Very dificult question to answer, everyone is so diferent, I`d say as long as you are replenishing glycogen stores after training you will be fine but if you want to maintain weight or lose then drop cals elsewhere during the day.

I think you are adding weight as you are adding muscle,this will level out soon enough then you would need to add more calories to keep gaining.

GJN5002
01-16-09, 7:39 pm
I'll make this short. Does lifting heavy (or high intensity lifting with little rest) initiate some biological reaction that makes it difficult to cut? I'm trying to toss 10 pounds, and keeping all else the same have actually started to go up in weight - but this is not my goal.

My routine looks something like this:

Monday: 45 mins moderate to heavy lifting, full body followed by 45 mins cycling
Tuesday: 45 mins swimming
Wednesday: 45 mins lifting followed by 30 mins running
Thurs: 45 mins cycling
Friday: 45 mins lifting followed by 30 mins swimming
Saturday: 45 mins running
Sun: off

No lifting heavy or high voulme does not make it difficult to cut.

increased glycogen storage in my muscles due to the overload from the lifting......stored glycogen is energy stored in the muscle essentially, it shouldnt make any difference in weight loss. Post up your diet.
There is a post workout formula by dr warren willey that is pretty good, but i dont have the book with me now. its called better than steroids, if i find it ill post it. i think for most average sized guys 25-40g of whey and about 50 g of carbs should suffice. when im cutting i do 35g waxy 10g bcaa 5xtra g of leucine when im eating carbs. im about 200lbs

rhane
01-16-09, 8:44 pm
You're right about the glycogen, but I wasn't referring to its effect on weight loss - I was asking whether its possible that the "weight gain" was simply due to the weight of the extra glycogen and water likely being stored in my muscles from the training volume. Could this still be the case?

mark
01-16-09, 9:58 pm
In theory, only if undergoing hyperplasia or hyperplasmia

Aka, creating more muscle or increasing the size of your muscles...

Again, this is in theory. No way of telling what is going on for sure