PDA

View Full Version : The Man in the Mirror

Alta0331
01-17-09, 4:38 pm
The Man in the Mirror

We all see that guy looking back at us in the mirror. That guy has his beanie over his eyes, headphones on his ears and blocking everyone and everything else out. He is focusing everything on this lift. 1, 2, 3… UP. Pushing out what he can then racking his weight. Knowing everybody else in the room is watching him. He doesn’t care; the only one he cares about is looking back at him in the mirror. Firing him up, eyeballing him and calling him a Pussy. He is the silent Warrior, Gladiator, Spartan, or whatever else you deem to call him. The war he fights is within him, battling for that next rep. To everybody else his silence and focus speaks louder and volumes more than that candy ass trying to spit game next to the water fountain. One more set, he looks back at the guy in the mirror, fire in his eyes, calling him out. The room is silent; the only thing they can hear is the sound of plates clinking and the music from his headphones as he pushes out those reps. He racks his weight and stares back in triumph. His chest is on fire, done. He is looking forward to that well earned meal. He looks around as he walks out of the Gym, his arena. He looks to the candy ass and thinks to himself “I paid my dues today, have you?” This man is an Animal in every sense of the word. We all know this man; he is our best friend and our worst enemy. He is within every Animal, every man and woman who chooses our lifestyle. Look inside deep inside yourselves and you will see. Strive to beat that man and make him eat his words, because after all, he is just the man in the mirror.

Alta0331
01-17-09, 4:45 pm
Been contemplating writing in here for a bit now and finally came up with something to add. I'll get more in here as time goes on

Alta0331
01-17-09, 5:24 pm
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

-Theodore Roosevelt; April 23, 1910

BB
01-18-09, 12:56 pm
Great post bro very motivating....i woke up this morning tired as shit but this has got me fired up. keep em comin just what i needed to read before i hit shoulders

Alta0331
01-19-09, 4:32 am
Thanks man. It's my shoulders day too

MELTDOWN
01-19-09, 8:06 am
good start to the day, and let's add a snippet out of #58 from G's *Diary of a Madman*

" .… Even in a country that turns out in greater numbers to vote for American Idol than to vote for the president. American Idol? My only idol in this realm is the motherfucking man in the mirror and even he has to prove himself on a daily basis." (G. Diesel)

Carry on !!!

mritter3
01-19-09, 8:12 am
motivating to say the least man should get me ready for another great squating day.

Alta0331
01-19-09, 9:43 am
Does anybody else think about life and the struggle?

Lifting and Life follow similar paths. Discipline, pain, fear, struggle; just to name a few. What separates the survivors from the from the casualties? What makes you dig deep and and push through it all? We are all different in all aspects. No man or woman among this Legion is the same in anyway shape or form. Yet we all have a common personal goal; to be among the survivors. Every man and woman here is a Survivor and we stand tall among the rest, surveying our own battleground and assessing the aftermath we left in our wake. What did it take to get where you are? What is it going to take to get where you are going? How many more are you going to trample to get to the top? Are you willing to sacrifice?

The answer to all these questions Animals is, 1) Discipline, pain, fear, struggle; things that drive that fight or flight mechanism. 2) It is going to take much more of the previously mentioned in addition to buckets more of blood, sweat, and tears. 3) Any unfortunate soul who gets in my way. Either lead or follow but get the hell out of my way because I'm taking this fucking mountain. 4) Sacrifice is unconditional. You cannot succeed without sacrifice. We are among the chosen, stand fast and be ready because there is always someone who wants to topple you from the top of your mountain. To be beaten is to fail, to fail is to die. And we do neither.

C.Coronato
01-19-09, 2:34 pm
Very inspirational brotha. Thanks. Keep em flowin.

Alta0331
01-21-09, 9:00 am
It's weird how things happen. Not just the circumstances but the speed in which they do. Whether its a car wreck, combat of some sort, or even personal misfortune. They can knock the wind out of you and leave you withering on the ground gasping for air. It isn't about how long it takes you to get up but if you get up at all and get back in the fight. Whatever it may be. Life is a bitch, and it'll throw as many cheap shots as possible. Some people believe in fate, others in Karma. But what about chance. Chance is the killer. There is so much more uncertainty and risk with chance. Something we face everyday.. I laugh when people run to the doctor because they get a slight cough or sniffle. I mean c'mon people, life is hazardous to your health. That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Think about the chances you take everyday and think them through before you execute your decision. If it be with the Iron, your other half, or walking across the street; make sure everything you do is worth the risk you are willing to take..

I know this isn't particularly motivating but every now and again it's something that needs to be said. So take time out of your day and hug and cherish the people that mean the most to you because there are others out there that wish they could and can't.

In Iron we Trust..

Alta

Alta0331
01-22-09, 5:27 am
As I sit here and write this I am listening to Killswitch and drinking my Cherry flavored Shock Therapy getting ready to whoop on what is going to be a killer Back day. I was recently talking to a friend online yesterday and she was frustrated with her situation. Having just graduated from college in SoCal, she moved back to Modesto, CA. She was complaining about how basically everybody from back home that wasn't a college grad or current college student was beneath her or didn't "get" her. In 30 seconds I had gone from being a good friend of hers to "beneath her".

I know that I am pretty new to the Forvm so here's a little bit of my history. I joined the Marines at 18 and left for Boot Camp a month after graduating High School and currently in Iraq.

The point of this post is to say Fuck the haters and people who look down on others because of something they possess. Whether it be money, status, or certain credentials. When it comes down to it and you are stripped of all that you have accomplished you are still men and women. Citizens of the world and equal; regardless of race, religion, color, or creed.

This is what fuels me and keeps my fire burning. To prove all the haters, "Elitists", and disbelievers wrong.

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"
-Theodore Roosevelt

BB
01-22-09, 1:06 pm
I know what you mean about people looking down on you... I think its stupid im in univeristy right now but i certainly dont feel liek im better then people who arent. They are out there making money for themselves, while im here wasting mine haha. Im thinking of taking a year off at the end of this sememster and getting my personal trianers lisence.... or maybe doing a bit of travelling.
Again i think that is part of what draws people to the iron... it doesnt mater waht kind of degree or how much money you have...smarts and money arent going to move that weight for you. Your on your own, just the way i like it :)

k1usa
01-22-09, 1:23 pm
My friend...what we see in the mirror is our biggest challenge..our biggest reward for hard work...our failure for keeping pace with what we wanted...what we see goes beyond the mirror..when I look at the mirror I see something deeper...something that is in the shadows behind the image...almost translucent...but still will cast a shadow. What is in the mirror looks back at us...not with its own thoughts but with what we cast opon that reflection in spirit...will and faith.

Many times I see what I want.whare I am.....and many times I see where I want to be. The Mirror is like a time portal...a place to see the past present and future. The mirror for me scares the shit out that fucking beast I carry...is sees...doom...it feels....pain...it sees...progress....without the mirror we have no image of where...when and how we are or have been...for its the mirror that is simply reflecting what it sees or casting an image onour minds-eye....consider this....when you look at a reflection of the say moon in the water some evening...do you see what the moon is reflecting or what the water is seeing..one compliments the other.

What i want to say is this...for what you have done with your life...how you are surving this country...and how you see life at such a young age...my compliments Marine...you are amoung the rare few that understand honor...price and country...and for that...I send you my greatest thoughts of pride insaying....thank you for our freedom...and if anyone does not believe that...fuck them and fuck them good....you are our front line....and I admire what you do...and thats coming from a USN Navy Reservest for 5 years...P3 anti sub warfare...cold war...lots of pride there bro...

You keep writing here bro...love what you say...but more so what you bring out in others..thats the real gift here bro...when you inspire...you enlighten lives...

all my hopes

Russ K1usa

Alta0331
01-23-09, 6:01 pm
Thanks K1, that hit me pretty deep man.

I've been thinking about that the last couple days. I don't know why I let that get into my head. It isn't like they have accomplished what I have or even attempted to. They have never involved in something bigger than them self.

As I finish shoulders today. I'm feeling good about a lot of things. The progress I've been making, my personal relationships; everything seems to be falling back into place.

I'll be back in NorCal for a couple weeks in June and definitely want to get together with some NorCal Animals when I'm in the area.

C.Coronato
01-26-09, 11:06 am
Your a beast and an animal, and most of all an inspiration. Brother, you give me shivers every time i read your article. I am not a soldier, and I did go to school. But your words hit home. They make me dig deeper and want something more. Keep bringing it man. Your opening eyes of the people who are still sleeping.

Alta0331
01-27-09, 1:54 pm
What is pain? Now it could be any type of pain; emotional, physical, mental. What are the things that keep you pushing through it? It is funny, people do everything they can in order to preserve themselves. Whether they go to the doctor every time they have a sniffle, shield themselves from relationships, or simply shut down when the tough gets going. It has been said that life itself is hazardous to your health. Do you know the difference between and man and a coward? The difference is is when pain has the man by the balls, he fights as hard as he can to push on and accomplish his mission while the coward rolls over and dies. Every body here has accepted pain and continues to thrive on it and uses it to move them forward.. So here's to you Animals, I salute you

Alta0331
02-07-09, 11:05 am
Not a lot of time to write, but finished moving back on to the main base here. Want to let everyone know I'll have something for you all soon

Alta0331
03-06-09, 4:21 pm
Hey Brothers. Haven't posted in a while but been crazy busy with work. Today I was working out in our small gym and realized what kind of connection the Iron brings people. As I experienced today the Iron is a universal language. You don't have to know the words to say to somebody. You don't have to ask for a spot. It's acknowledged through body language and a complete understanding. Today my workout partner was a local national who cooks for us at our compound. It was refreshing not having to speak to communicate yet knowing what the other person was saying through his body language. Sometimes I don't look at being here in a positive light, but today it made it all worth it.

machineman
03-06-09, 8:05 pm
you have a great way with words, bro.....and you have my utmost repect.....for you do something I could not do.....as Russ said, for that I thank you....I had 2 brothers serve...one in the Navy and one in the Army....I make it a point when I see a soldier in public to walk up and say thank you and shake his or her hand.....keep on writing, bro....

Alta0331
03-07-09, 3:46 pm
Thanks brother, I appreciate the support

widdlewade44
03-07-09, 4:14 pm
Solid thread brother. Thoughtful reading here...

Semper Fi,

Kevin
Sgt '88-93
USMC
widdlewade44

Alta0331
03-19-09, 3:11 pm
Thanks Wade I appreciate it.

Lately I've been feeling unmotivated. I've been cutting weight at the rapid rate over the last 2 weeks. Lifting and Cardio daily with a day off here and there. Any ideas to help not feeling so run down

C.Coronato
03-19-09, 3:22 pm
cutting is full of those days brother. I have one right now, i am on a show diet so i have a goal set in mind so i guess that helps. Try some caffeine pills or energy boosters. I have been drinking alot of EAAs and BCAAs and i think that has been helping, as well as Uni-Liver. Last year for the show i was dead all day every day and i didnt take either supp. Just my 2 cents brother.

Alta0331
03-20-09, 3:17 pm
Yeah man I know. I've done it before but not on this scale and not this fast. I think I've lost some 16 lbs in 2 - 3 weeks. Trying to get to 210 from 238 before mid April.

C.Coronato
03-20-09, 3:21 pm
damn thats a huge cut .. thats why your not feeling the best tho, healthy you can lose lb or two a week, thats solid fat, the rest might be water thats gonna come back ..

Alta0331
03-21-09, 10:02 am
Yeah I know. 210 is my goal but I'll be happy with how close I get. It's starting to get hot over here and I may be able to cut down the amount of cardio..

Alta0331
03-22-09, 12:58 pm
Weighed in today at 224 officially down from 238. 14 lbs to go. Maybe the wife won't recognize me when I get back