PDA

View Full Version : Elbow injury HELP!!!

supermoshi
01-18-09, 5:05 am
I need your help on this guys.

since December i had this pain in my elbow(on the bottom). Whenever i would do any triceps extensions exercises i would feel this pinning pain on my triceps and whenever i would flex my biceps my elbow would hurt a little. A friend of mine told me that it was bursitis and that i had it coz of my heavy lifts and from the heavy preacher dbell curls i just did.

what i did wrong with my routine was to always go heavy, and not have a light week or day. ryt now i've been goin lyt and moderate for about 3 weeks and am wishing i can go heavy and hardcore again.

what should i do??

info: i took a 3 week rest before i hit the gym. dont hit arms for now. if i ever hit arms for triceps it would be just dips with a limited motion. for biceps it would be the 100 rep standing bicep db curl rep on the wall with different angles ( spacings of my foot)

tnx guys. i really want to go heavy again. help?!

sanga
01-18-09, 5:11 am
supermoshi, if it was me I`d first go get it checked out at the doctors.

I`d lay off all extention work and just let my triceps get hit with chest and shoulder presses until the pain went away and for a while longer.

I`d ice the area if there was still pain after chest/delt presses.

I`d add Animal Flex and Omega to my supplement intake daily.

I used to have serious knee,elbow and delt pain, I added the above supps and within 3 weeks realised I had no pain, I sometimes get a twinge in the left shoulder but thats an old injury.

Make sure you thoroughly warm up with 4-5 light sets is my advice.

rob_in_korea
01-18-09, 5:34 am
supermoshi, if it was me I`d first go get it checked out at the doctors.

I`d lay off all extention work and just let my triceps get hit with chest and shoulder presses until the pain went away and for a while longer.

I`d ice the area if there was still pain after chest/delt presses.

I`d add Animal Flex and Omega to my supplement intake daily.

I used to have serious knee,elbow and delt pain, I added the above supps and within 3 weeks realised I had no pain, I sometimes get a twinge in the left shoulder but thats an old injury.

Make sure you thoroughly warm up with 4-5 light sets is my advice.

I agree with this. I had tricep tendonitis and acupuncture worked wonders for me, so you might want to check that out as well.

-Rob

h 3 L L b 0 y
01-19-09, 12:47 pm

since December i had this pain in my elbow(on the bottom). Whenever i would do any triceps extensions exercises i would feel this pinning pain on my triceps and whenever i would flex my biceps my elbow would hurt a little. A friend of mine told me that it was bursitis and that i had it coz of my heavy lifts and from the heavy preacher dbell curls i just did.

what i did wrong with my routine was to always go heavy, and not have a light week or day. ryt now i've been goin lyt and moderate for about 3 weeks and am wishing i can go heavy and hardcore again.

what should i do??

info: i took a 3 week rest before i hit the gym. dont hit arms for now. if i ever hit arms for triceps it would be just dips with a limited motion. for biceps it would be the 100 rep standing bicep db curl rep on the wall with different angles ( spacings of my foot)

Had exactly the same problem few months ago. What i did was to buy flex (and now it has become a staple) which really helped, and stopped doing skull crushers and overhead extensions. Those exercises personally for me put too much pressure on my elbows. Now whenever i do triceps, i start with 2 sets of 15 reps of rope pushdowns to warm my elbows up with light to moderate weight. There's no point doing pushdowns with 5 kg and then moving onto doing it for 25kg on the first working set as the warmups will not do much. Then i stuck to dips, straight/v bar pushdowns and close grip bench press for my tri's. Try it out.

prowrestler
01-19-09, 1:02 pm
2 weeks off all upper body work
another 2 weeks off all arm work

come back and wrap up the elbow and warm up with severl progressivly heavier sets.

buy some glucosamine, i think you should take 500mg 3 times a day. mg or grams...whatever

C.Coronato
01-22-09, 10:38 am
Hey man any luck? Whenever i had pain, if it were wrists, elbows, etc, i would stay away from that for a long time. You dont want to come out and be more hurt than you were originally. Or have a DR check it out, and get some rehab. You dont want to be out for too long brotha.

supermoshi
01-23-09, 1:55 am
treating it with ice and so far the pain is lessening.

tnx brothers. though i cant really stay away from heavy duty training.

been training heavy again and so far so good. staying away from overhead extensions.

BigAnt
01-23-09, 2:41 pm

what should i do??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to hear about your elbow, they are tough !

Over use is tendonitis---but we gotta be carfeful...Myself and BigAl have elbow pain, he has it worst than me...all the years of heavy lifting COULD contribute to it..

What works best for me and from my Physical Therapy experience..

Yes, time off EVERYTHING...2-3 weeks...Legs---yes! Loading-un-loading plates, grabiing the handes on the leg ext/leg curl machines, lunges with barbells-dumbbells...still activates this area...we want to shut it off 100%. Just stationary bike cardio for the endorphine release will suffice!

I found out heat prior and ice after works wonders!

Try a Mineral Ice or Icy Hot rub on the effected area, than go to your local Walmart or Pharmacy and ask for neoprene elbow sleeves...will lock in the heat and support the area...put the sleeves on right after the Mineral Ice/Icy Hot rub.

Warm up light...light...L I G H T! Rope push downs, wrist flexion/extension and cable curls 20 reps EASY EASY STUFF! And stetch the biceps-triceps forearms as well!

Try this technique for the first 4 weeks back to weight lifting...do for EVERY exercise!
25 reps for week-1 week-2 20 reps, week-3 15 reps and week-4 12 reps....Use only machines-cables for weeks 1-2. Week 3 introduce dumbbells and week 4 use barbell movements. I did this for both shoulder injuries and it worked out perfectly, and presently doing it for my bicep tear-forearm strain (which was most likely cause by elbow problems) now and 15 reps are kicking my butt and I am not loosing any size-tone!

Throw a bag of ice-frozen peas work well on the area 20 minutes right after training.

Motrin-Advil---use spraringly...Animal Flex works very good!

Hit me up if you need any more advice.

You are young and strong, preserve your body so it will be good to you when you are in your 40's & 50's

You will bounce back fast...best of luck to you!

Ant

supermoshi
01-24-09, 7:46 am
tnx bro.

tho i didnt give it enough rest. the pain's still there.

although i'm back at lifting heavy again.

will give ant's suggestion a go.

last routine i did was back/legs/forearms.

stayed away from chins,DL and bb rowing movements.

stuck with the lat machine and did mixed grip pulldowns up to about 200lbs.

on legs did heavy squats and very light high rep leg extensions.

on forearms did hammer curls upto 50lbs db each.

wen i got home it hurt a little and just applied bengay tho the pain stopped but did not go away.

frustrating.

Feel The Power
01-24-09, 8:26 am
Looks like you have alot of good advice. As hard as it is to take a month or so off.. just do it. I was stupid about 2 yrs ago, kept training through the pain, and had a muscle tear that took me a year and a half to fully recover from. It sucked and I learned my lesson.