PDA

View Full Version : Hero Worship

Giant Killer
01-19-09, 1:41 pm
I would just like to have a word. "Couple it with something. Make it a word...and a blow."

When we were young, we had our eyes full of stars. We saw greatness and we sought to obsess ourselves with it. Pictures, posters, magazines, sports shows, stats, factoids, retail paraphernalia. In any way we could, we absorbed their lives, emulating them, losing ourselves in the process.

To this day I see brothers in iron buying someone else's dream. Hero worship runs rampant. We all want to copy that guy's diet, that guy's training, that guy's philosophies. Your dreams are bought and sold while you sit in a wondrous daze.

I say, destroy your idols. Forge a path of greatness that is yours and yours alone.

How will you get monstrous amounts of muscle mass? Get in the gym and fucking train. Squat 'til you puke, and eat 'til you puke. Weigh and measure your life, and don't be found wanting. Get out there and grab that shit. It's yours.

No hero or idol is going to make you great. Only you can. And the only way you are going to ascend is to see that hero in your minds eye...and crush them. Dare to be greater. Dare to be selfish. Dare to destroy your false icons. But among these things, respect is key. Don't give it up. That hero deserves respect for the path they have chosen, on their own.

Get out there and get it brothers.

theharjmann
01-20-09, 8:41 am
sick...fucking sick.

This motivational stuff is awesome guys. Im sat at work now, on my lunch break with a fork stuck into a chicken breast in front of me. Having read that article, i just finished my lunch, and had a banana and a protein shake for dessert!

Thanks GK.

I reckon a new section on the forvm needs to be made....Motivation......

mritter3
01-20-09, 8:47 am
thats some motivational stuff bro, It is important to choose your own path and don't mimic the path of someone else, i agree you cannot live your life doing someone else's routine or copying someone's diet, but for the newbies that are new to this game, i think it is great that we have the ask the pro's section so they can get some sound advice from people that have been there and done that.

G Diesel
01-20-09, 8:57 am
I would just like to have a word. "Couple it with something. Make it a word...and a blow."

When we were young, we had our eyes full of stars. We saw greatness and we sought to obsess ourselves with it. Pictures, posters, magazines, sports shows, stats, factoids, retail paraphernalia. In any way we could, we absorbed their lives, emulating them, losing ourselves in the process.

To this day I see brothers in iron buying someone else's dream. Hero worship runs rampant. We all want to copy that guy's diet, that guy's training, that guy's philosophies. Your dreams are bought and sold while you sit in a wondrous daze.

I say, destroy your idols. Forge a path of greatness that is yours and yours alone.

How will you get monstrous amounts of muscle mass? Get in the gym and fucking train. Squat 'til you puke, and eat 'til you puke. Weigh and measure your life, and don't be found wanting. Get out there and grab that shit. It's yours.

No hero or idol is going to make you great. Only you can. And the only way you are going to ascend is to see that hero in your minds eye...and crush them. Dare to be greater. Dare to be selfish. Dare to destroy your false icons. But among these things, respect is key. Don't give it up. That hero deserves respect for the path they have chosen, on their own.

Phenomenal post, GK... While we all draw inspiration from one another, we need to each become our own hero. Peace, G

B Con
01-20-09, 9:00 am
Agreed all the way GK. It's all about trial and error, finding out what works for you and listening to your body. Great post.

On Letting Go
01-20-09, 9:37 am
Awesome post man. Truly motivational.

OLG

DanTheMan
01-20-09, 9:43 am
you know sometimes it gets hard, especially when one is starting back up. of course we pinpoint and idolize. but you make a great point. there becomes a time where you gotta stop being them and find out who you are and why you're eating like an animal and lifting like a crazy man. good shit brother.

InkdMuscle
01-20-09, 10:15 am
GK, strong words brotha. Like i saw on ENFORCERS sig "Man in the glass", the only person you need to worry about in your struggles for your dream is the one who stairs back at u in the glass.

DreamZero
01-20-09, 12:42 pm

I have to disagree.. heroes are needed to keep an eye on the prize.. I started martial arts when I was 6, until a bad arm fracture stopped me from performing well on that scene when I was 18.. But we all had heroes and models.. ninja turtles from 6 to 10, Nicolas Guiles on my judo years, Don Wilson and Bruce Lee on my kick boxing years, Arturo Gatti on my boxing years. and when I started lifting seriously a couple of years ago, Frank McGrath, Dorian Yates, Tom Platz and Franco...

I think that when you're in a shithole gym surrounded by lethargic octogenaries, you have to look out for something you want to acheive.. because it won't be knocking at your door to inspire you. You have to swim for your life, to keep your head out of the water, to stay the fuck away from your comfort zone..

Heroes, as long as they inspire you to pay the price for improvement, for late nights in the power rack, for those extra reps you feel you can't rip off the floor, are benefical.

But I agree, that passed a certain point, you have to step out of their shadow to walk into the light...

Giant Killer
01-20-09, 1:31 pm
Heroes, as long as they inspire you to pay the price for improvement, for late nights in the power rack, for those extra reps you feel you can't rip off the floor, are benefical.

But I agree, that passed a certain point, you have to step out of their shadow to walk into the light...

That's what I'm saying. No need to disagree. Heros have their place. No doubt, I look up and praise those who came before, but the true test is where you draw the line between a dream, and YOUR reality.

Thanks guys for taking time to read my little rant.

arsilva
01-20-09, 3:03 pm
the true test is where you draw the line between a dream, and YOUR reality.

sig material

js71474
01-20-09, 3:15 pm

Get out there and get it brothers.Hey bro, just had to tell ya, like this post man and if you truly feel this way which I'm sure you do...you just gained my respect! I whole heartedly agree that your own path must be forged if you ever plan to see improvements. With constant learning, adaptation, and trial and error there isn't anything that stands in the way! Great read!

Universal Rep
01-20-09, 5:33 pm
I have to disagree.. heroes are needed to keep an eye on the prize.. I started martial arts when I was 6, until a bad arm fracture stopped me from performing well on that scene when I was 18.. But we all had heroes and models.. ninja turtles from 6 to 10, Nicolas Guiles on my judo years, Don Wilson and Bruce Lee on my kick boxing years, Arturo Gatti on my boxing years. and when I started lifting seriously a couple of years ago, Frank McGrath, Dorian Yates, Tom Platz and Franco...

I think that when you're in a shithole gym surrounded by lethargic octogenaries, you have to look out for something you want to acheive.. because it won't be knocking at your door to inspire you. You have to swim for your life, to keep your head out of the water, to stay the fuck away from your comfort zone..

Yo DZ, I don't think GK is sayin' ya can't have any heroes or people ya look up to. Nah, I think he's saying don't ever live your life based on the life of your hero. It's one thing to respect and draw inspiration from, but ya shouldn't try to be a carbon copy of that hero. Ya gotta be your own man.

MELTDOWN
01-20-09, 5:46 pm
Phenomenal post, GK... While we all draw inspiration from one another, we need to each become our own hero. Peace, G

i thought that rang familiar in my brain...from G's Diary, taken from post #52 "..... But there is a time that comes in every man's life when he needs to start being his own hero. "

Brick By Brick
01-20-09, 5:47 pm
Be very careful how you choose your "heroes." It's ok to have role models. Records are made to be broken and titles are meant to be taken. Think of yourself as "next" and take your glory. Fight for it every day in your preparation and your work in the gym. Be your own superhero.

Giant Killer
01-20-09, 6:11 pm
Yo DZ, I don't think GK is sayin' ya can't have any heroes or people ya look up to. Nah, I think he's saying don't ever live your life based on the life of your hero. It's one thing to respect and draw inspiration from, but ya shouldn't try to be a carbon copy of that hero. Ya gotta be your own man.

U Rep has hit the nail on the head.

arsilva
01-20-09, 8:17 pm
Be very careful how you choose your "heroes." It's ok to have role models. Records are made to be broken and titles are meant to be taken. Think of yourself as "next" and take your glory. Fight for it every day in your preparation and your work in the gym. Be your own superhero.

VERY good observation. The concept of "looking up" to a hero implies that you'll always be below them. As an Animal, one must look at their idol, viewing themselves as on the same level, maybe taking some advice, to one day surpass using one's own methods.

wedge
01-21-09, 1:31 pm

I think Brick just gave us the Cliff Notes version of Giant Killers post.

Brick By Brick
01-21-09, 3:18 pm
I think Brick just gave us the Cliff Notes version of Giant Killers post.
Summarize. It's what I do best.

Freak
01-22-09, 3:52 pm

Well put brother.

Rhys
01-23-09, 11:51 pm
Maybe we should all take a moment and think about what being a hero truly means.

Many of us here are no doubt inspired by the physical or athletic accomplishments of those who came before us. Whether they be a bodybuilder, powerlifter, olympic athlete, or a baseball player who breaks the home run record. I myself have been inspired by many people throughout my life, inluding many of you right here on the Forvm. But does having huge muscles, a monstrous bench press or squat, or hitting a zillion home runs make someone a hero. My own personal answer to that can only be a big resounding NO.

Being exceptionally good at something does not make someone a hero. The word hero may be thrown around loosely by many people in their narrow view point on life. But to me at least it's not a title that is earned easily. Being called a hero to me comes at a price that many people simply aren't willing to pay.

So what is a hero to me...it's the young Marine rifleman who in the thick of combat throws himself onto a grenade to save the lives of his fellow fireteam members. It's the firefighter who runs into a burning building to save the life of someone they don't even know simply because that's their job. It's the gifted inner city school teacher who spends their own money in order to buy school supplies for the students in their class because the greed and selfishness of american society at large simply doesn't give a shit about the underpriveledged. It's those who spend their time extending a hand of freindship to those locked away and forgotten in our prison systems. It's the young plastic surgeon who decides to go to a third world country to help those who have been horribly disfigured by old land mines rather than make a fortune doing boob jobs. It's King Leonidas who as a true Warrior King led his men into battle instead of merely sending them into battle like so many of our so called leaders today. You wanna know what being a true hero is all about...take a look at the life of Mother Theresa.

Last but certainly not least, it's all those who day in and day out get up and do the jobs that society would simply collapse without, yet society at large usually looks down upon. The long haul truck drivers who deliver the food we eat all across the country. The food service workers who work for peanuts so those to lazy to cook their own meals can get a bite to eat at nice restaurants. The ditch diggers who lay the pipe down in the ground so we can flush our own shit down the toilet. The janitors who make practically minimum wage cleaning up other peoples mess. The youth workers who devote their lives helping lost kids and teenagers turn their lives around. Yeah...I could go on and on...but I think you probably get the point by now.

xMATT182x
01-25-09, 3:22 am
We should take inspiration from our heros but do not follow in their footsteps. Forge our own, burn our own path and make a name for ourselves. I agree with giant killer when it comes to that much. Make your future and make your own fucking strength.

xMindgamex
01-25-09, 3:39 am
make your own future, like house motto "You are your maker!"

Phil800101
01-25-09, 3:10 pm
Awesome post GK, right on bro.

Giant Killer
01-25-09, 3:42 pm
make your own future, like house motto "You are your maker!"

That's right! I live by it.

Awesome post GK, right on bro.

Thanks brother.