PDA

View Full Version : plate under my heel?

jayanticoli
01-20-09, 2:34 pm
i have a problem when i squat heavier i seem to push up from my toes instead of my heels....so i heard a trick is to put a 10lb plate and put your feet on them to assist...call me retarted but should i put them under my heels or under my toes?

jayanticoli
01-21-09, 1:50 pm
anyone????

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
01-21-09, 1:53 pm
could be a couple things dude

- lack of core strength causing you to lean forward, thus making you push more on your toes.

- not pushing your hips back far enough.

ive seen people do that 10 lb plate under the heel thing, but im not a big fan of uneven weight distribution to poor ankles

fenix237
01-21-09, 1:57 pm
hey bro,

this was discussed already on another thread- try using the search function. i'm busy at the moment, but i'll post the link later if you don't find it.

lond story short, people are divided on the subject. i've used a 1" rubber mat for many years without any problems, but some experts on this forum recommend not to do this.

peace-brp

C.Coronato
01-21-09, 1:58 pm
You put them under your heels. But i mean just give it a shot. You will either like it and make it feel better, or not. I have used that method. I actually like it because it helped out my knees some. Give it a whirl.

JUGGERNAUT
01-21-09, 2:08 pm
Personally I would work on your flexibility and fix the issue of rocking up on your toes instead of putting a plate of any sort under the heels; it puts more stress on your knees.

shizz702
01-21-09, 3:00 pm
I would advise against using a plate or a board under the heels as I recall reading that is horrible for your knees and can lead to injury.

Sounds like a form issue, and I would work on sitting back more, and shoving your knees out.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to invest in a good pair of weight lifting shoes, that can help tremendously.

Torque757
01-21-09, 3:58 pm
Placeing anything under the heels of your feet causes biomechanical shifts that results in increased shear stress on the knees. Do not do it.

Leroy0053
02-03-09, 10:24 pm
yeah yeah bringing up an old post....but i used to rock up also....i was watching a dvd...i wont tell yall it was a vid by bob cicherillo...or however you spell it....but any who lol...he explained about how taller people tend to need to take a wider stance to keep from rocking up onto their toes...i did it and it helped me....he advised against putting anything under your feet too....sorry to bring up an old post..but this was a problem i had and fixed...

sodapop
02-03-09, 11:33 pm
The problem can be solved by adjusting your form. Make sure your back is straight, hips out (behind you, of course), etc. I've read that using a plate can be harmful to your knees.

theharjmann
02-04-09, 6:08 am
Personally I would work on your flexibility and fix the issue of rocking up on your toes instead of putting a plate of any sort under the heels; it puts more stress on your knees.

I remember i had the same problem and kinda do now but not badly...its still getting better.

I fixed it by stretching EVERY day. i stretch my hips, glutes, quads and calves. The more u stretch the better. I also warm up properly and stretch for like 15-20 minutes before a leg workout. Otherwise i cant physically even do one squat! I couple of my friends are able so squat operfectly without even warming up properly...i just cant do that. Stretch bro stretch

McFly
02-04-09, 8:02 am

I agree with JUGG, it's a fixable problem....just gott work at it.

js71474
02-04-09, 9:17 am
Stay away from putting anything under your feet when squatting, it messes up your form and can potentially do harm. Alot of good responses here so far and I agree with them.....check your form, if needed drop the weight and really nail that first, work on your flexibility, and do some assistance work on your hammies.

theharjmann
02-04-09, 9:24 am
Stay away from putting anything under your feet when squatting, it messes up your form and can potentially do harm. Alot of good responses here so far and I agree with them.....check your form, if needed drop the weight and really nail that first, work on your flexibility, and do some assistance work on your hammies.

yeah hell yeah! Hamstrings. Everybody i know who can put their whole palms on the ground whilst keeping their knees fully locked, in my opinion, are very good squatters.

Cstlfx
02-04-09, 12:51 pm
Add in some Good Morning and Glute-Ham Raises for additional work. Get the lower back used to pushing weight back when you're going foward, and have your glutes and hamstrings stronger.

Its all about form and strength. Lower your weight, work on your form, and get stronger at the accessory exercises. Pretty soon you'll be all good.

I would get your form down before putting anything under your feet. Maybe also get a harder shoe. You lifting in running shoes? I'd get something harder to squat in.