PDA

View Full Version : Dead Question?

MadeOfSteel
01-22-09, 7:33 pm
Lately when i have been doing dead lifts my first 2-3 sets I do straight leg form, but once i get to a higher weight i go back to a normal dead. When i do this with this format it feels like it works my lower back better. If i warm up using normal dead lift style i dont feel it working my back till i get to my heavier sets..

Example:
135x15(straight leg)
225x12(straight leg)
315x10 (normal)
405x8(normal)

Also, i was wondering if these lifts are high enough for competitions, i dont really know to much about competitions. I am 16 and weigh 180 if that plays into anything--thanks

Sho
01-23-09, 12:29 am
You're 16 at 180lbs and you can DL 405 8 times.. that's intense.

can you post a vid plz?

prowrestler
01-23-09, 1:51 am
Lately when i have been doing dead lifts my first 2-3 sets I do straight leg form, but once i get to a higher weight i go back to a normal dead. When i do this with this format it feels like it works my lower back better. If i warm up using normal dead lift style i dont feel it working my back till i get to my heavier sets..

Example:
135x15(straight leg)
225x12(straight leg)
315x10 (normal)
405x8(normal)

Also, i was wondering if these lifts are high enough for competitions, i dont really know to -much about competitions. I am 16 and weigh 180 if that plays into anything--thanks

your Q is if your stats are good for a meet?

sorry dude, your weak as shit.....LOL

-k, well first off congrats on even lifting at your age
-second im curiouse on your height (plays a part in deadlifting)
-third thats some solid deadlifting for a young buck like yourself.

but remember, powerlifting aint your best set of 8, its your best single rep.
train like a powerlifter to be a powerlifter. you gotta train singles if you wanna be good at them.

if your plans are to do a meet, i strongly suggest ditching the bodybuilder training split and starting a powerlifing split. train as an athelte. im a pusher for westside and westside for skinny bastards. both are great. defranco is awsome for sports players too. youtube diesel crew aswell for a great example to see what i mean about "training like an athlete".

take it from donnie thompson, look at what the average guys in your area and class are doing, then you'll no if its time to compete or not. if the girls are out-lifting you, give it abit longer.

Cstlfx
01-23-09, 2:18 pm
405 x 8 at 16 is pretty damn good.

What I've learned, you dont need any weight to compete. Kids 12 year old are lifting in competition, lifting little more than 135 in deads.

Find a cheap meet, with some good people, and just go lift! Then worry about lifting more and more.

C.Coronato
01-23-09, 2:24 pm
The only way youll know if you just get out there and do it brotha. Just go man.

Dedicated2Liftin
01-23-09, 3:47 pm

Example:
135x15(straight leg)
225x12(straight leg)
315x10 (normal)
405x8(normal)

Also, i was wondering if these lifts are high enough for competitions, i dont really know to much about competitions. I am 16 and weigh 180 if that plays into anything--thanks

405 x 8 at 16....impressive bro.

The Texian
01-23-09, 4:29 pm
Not sure where or how "405 x 8" makes you weak and unable to compete.

Unless you are totally at the top of the game, world class, there is always someone in your age group/weight class that is going to beat you. If you top out at a local meet, there are still state records to be chased, etc. Heck, I think Mike Bridges still owns some Texas state records in 181, and that was from back in the 80's.

If you choose to compete, especially at your age, it is about chasing PR's, dialing in your training, learning new things, making mistakes, and generally having a kick ass time.

Don't let anyone tell you any different. Here or anywhere else.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
01-23-09, 4:33 pm

Example:
135x15(straight leg)
225x12(straight leg)
315x10 (normal)
405x8(normal)

the reason your format for deads works your lower back better is since your first two sets ur doing straight leg, it warms up ur lowerback, hamstrings and glutes alot better than just going right into conv style.

ive done that format before, my first 1 or 2 sets ill pull it straight leg to warm them up then go right into conv or sumo pulls. I kinda do the same thing with squats as well. my first 2 warmup sets ill do a few gm's with the weight then do a few squats. helps out nicely..

trainer89
01-23-09, 4:51 pm
Thats a lot of weight to be lifting at 16. Awsome dude.

mritter3
01-24-09, 1:25 pm
405x8, nice for your age bro, you should see how much your 1 rep max is????? if your interested in competing i say go for it, gotta have a strarting point somewhere.

MadeOfSteel
01-25-09, 7:22 pm
today i got 495 x1 and i have to put my goal of doing a meet on hold just cause of baseball coming up and my coach isnt a fan of us lifting heavy during the season..thanks for the complements guys.

Big Wides
01-25-09, 10:25 pm
To answer your question if your strong enough to do a meet, you'll never know until you enter and compete in a meet. There are a lot of varibles that come into play during meet time, which none of them can be replicated in a gym on a daily training basis. For the deadlift training I wouldn't and this is just me, do two sets of straight legs then move into normal deads. If your going to be doing deads from the floor then warmup with that movement from the floor with all of the weight that you are going to use, this allows you to make sure that the proper muslces are warmed up that will allow you to pull

Firefist
01-25-09, 10:33 pm
those are sick numbers man. hope baseball season goes well for you and that you get into powerlifting.

just remember, a typical gym lift and a meet lift are two different things.