PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happend ?

Achilles
01-23-09, 9:12 pm
So, this might be a rehash but it's on my mind. I wonder what happened to a time when people did not have that "let someone else do it" mentality. What got me started on this was a friend from school asking me about a problem I had. If your from the north east you know the winters here are ruthless. Well, when ole man winter decided to drop the mercury down to -1 the waterlines froze under my house .. well we all know when the pipes thaw, thats when they bust .. Well, off I go to home depot to get fittings, adhesive ect. So I crawl under my house and replace the damaged spots (along with a heat tape and insulation wrap). So she asked me about it later and seemed shocked that I did it myself, she stated that "most guys don't know how to do that stuff". When I told her I go out every summer and cut/split truckload after truckload of firewood for my house she seemed amazed. To which she replied "most people just buy truckloads of wood" . . Ive grown up with the ideal that you just gotta get things done because no one else will do it for you. Granted I'm from the coal fields of West Virginia and like G. said to me "This region breeds some hard motherfuckers" . . But whats happening to men just getting in there .. getting their hands dirty and just getting shit done (if they're physically capable and harbor the necessary skills) and not calling someone to do it for them. Personally I think this supplicates softness and laziness, but thats just my opinion

Giant Killer
01-23-09, 9:23 pm
I know watcha' mean man. I changed my oil the other day and when I told people about it, they thought I was some kinda' miracle mechanic. I mean, it's just changing the oil...did it with my grandpa a thousand times as a kid.

Sometimes I think we're losing touch with our manhood. Time to get back to basics, and break our back to build something we can be proud of.

Achilles
01-23-09, 9:25 pm
I know watcha' mean man. I changed my oil the other day and when I told people about it, they thought I was some kinda' miracle mechanic. I mean, it's just changing the oil...did it with my grandpa a thousand times as a kid.

Sometimes I think we're losing touch with our manhood. Time to get back to basics, and break our back to build something we can be proud of.

True that bro, true that

Alta0331
01-23-09, 9:35 pm
Goes back to the instant gratification mindset of our society. Like sculpting your body, people think they can lift for a week and look like Reg, Arnold, Dorian, or Jay. When they don't they quit. People are losing what it's like to actually do work

dannynb
01-24-09, 12:18 am
I hear ya...I prefer to do things myself. Nothing more gratifying than getting dirty and getting a job done. Now I admit there are some things I have no clue what I'm doing and that's when I'll call a pro in...but ya better believe it that I'm watching what they are doing to learn so I can do it myself the next go around.

musclealchemist
01-24-09, 12:59 am
The only person you can really depend on is yourself. If you want something done, you gotta do it yourself. I much rather do things myself if i can. You save money and you feel good about yourself.

Carpe Diem P.T
01-24-09, 8:11 am
I dont mean to rain on your parade but if you get something like fixing up pipes wrong, u can make it even worse, and that can cost a shit load of dollars. with a wife, 3 kids and a newly formed home business, thats a mistake i cant afford to make.

I know a good plumber. he has spent 15 hard years in the industry. I reckon he has more knowledge of the goings on in my pipes than I do. I wish i was the manly handy man that could do all that but for now Im happy to put my faith in him.

Giant Killer
01-24-09, 9:25 am
I dont mean to rain on your parade but if you get something like fixing up pipes wrong, u can make it even worse, and that can cost a shit load of dollars. with a wife, 3 kids and a newly formed home business, thats a mistake i cant afford to make.

I know a good plumber. he has spent 15 hard years in the industry. I reckon he has more knowledge of the goings on in my pipes than I do. I wish i was the manly handy man that could do all that but for now Im happy to put my faith in him.

No shame in that bro.

kp3131
01-24-09, 1:45 pm

there is no shame it that at all, but i think that he meant overall doing some of the little stuff that we are more than capable of doing instead of just paying someone else to do it because we would rather be spending the time doing something else or because we don't feel like doing it. thats what i got out of it at least.

jeff00z28
01-24-09, 11:23 pm
im not gunna lie im pretty lazy when it comes to do-it-urself bs. I dont even do my own oil changes anymore. tires need rotating soon and i plan to pay the 5$ next time i get oil changed. i used to do all auto work on my camaro but things changed. i think of it differently, id rather focus more on career to make more money and make up for it. i am buying a townhouse when i move out rather than a regular house because it comes with free lawncare and there is not much to take care of. thats just the way i roll

Tron
01-25-09, 1:17 am
With the increase of technology, the more you'll see of the laziness of people...

cstmgp
01-25-09, 8:46 am
I completely agree, In fact, I make a living doing so. I'm a contractor, and not just a handyman, a do it all contractor. I've never taken a class on any of it, I learned it all from the most talented man I know, my father. He builds for a living, and when we build a house, we do it all, from pouring the foundation to nailing on the last pieces of trim. (except drywall, you have to be crazy to want to do that all the time, lol).

I understand if you don't know how to do something, but next time your friend or handyman comes over to help, get in there and help him, learn something. Half of my profession requires skill, the other half requires the balls to tackle something you've never done. Just don't forget a little humility to admit when you're wrong, or fix your mistakes.
Keep it real animals,
Shaun

mritter3
01-25-09, 9:58 am
unfortunately people now a days want everything now! they have people that do everything for them, that to me is just ridiculous, maybe its just me but i was taught growing up to everything you can on your own so you can look back and see what you've accomplished, personally the journey to get there is the greatest reward in the world, don't get me wrong i like the results when finished but i love putting the time into whatever im doing, because the more time you put in the better the result, so for all those people who take the road less traveled to get to where they need to go i commend you. because when you turn around and look back chances are its the journey that you will remember and will make you stronger.

Dingo
01-26-09, 10:36 am
So, this might be a rehash but it's on my mind. I wonder what happened to a time when people did not have that "let someone else do it" mentality. What got me started on this was a friend from school asking me about a problem I had. If your from the north east you know the winters here are ruthless. Well, when ole man winter decided to drop the mercury down to -1 the waterlines froze under my house .. well we all know when the pipes thaw, thats when they bust .. Well, off I go to home depot to get fittings, adhesive ect. So I crawl under my house and replace the damaged spots (along with a heat tape and insulation wrap). So she asked me about it later and seemed shocked that I did it myself, she stated that "most guys don't know how to do that stuff". When I told her I go out every summer and cut/split truckload after truckload of firewood for my house she seemed amazed. To which she replied "most people just buy truckloads of wood" . . Ive grown up with the ideal that you just gotta get things done because no one else will do it for you. Granted I'm from the coal fields of West Virginia and like G. said to me "This region breeds some hard motherfuckers" . . But whats happening to men just getting in there .. getting their hands dirty and just getting shit done (if they're physically capable and harbor the necessary skills) and not calling someone to do it for them. Personally I think this supplicates softness and laziness, but thats just my opinion

I see examples of this all the time here in the DFW area. A car will be pulled over with a blown tire, with a guy standing there talkin on his phone. another car comes along and some other guy has to get out and offer to change the tire.

haha i on the other hand have a wife who is fairly handy and enjoys it, most of our "fights" are over who gets to do the work.

Arbalest
01-26-09, 11:43 am

Teach me your ways, Oh great GK!!! lmao

Whatup man? Let's seriously get hit it sometime in the near future! You still workin' a 1000hrs a week?!

Giant Killer
01-26-09, 4:29 pm
Teach me your ways, Oh great GK!!! lmao

Whatup man? Let's seriously get hit it sometime in the near future! You still workin' a 1000hrs a week?!

Yes, haha. Clinicals Mon/Tues, Class Wed/Thurs, Work Fri/Sat/Sun. It's not over 'til I graduate in May. Or until I have a stroke, LOL.