PDA

View Full Version : Best of two evils? push/pull vs 3day split

cstmgp
01-25-09, 10:54 am
Right now, I'm doing a three day split consisting of:
day 1: legs
day 2: chest/arms
day 3: back/shoulders
Days between vary, been going more on body feeling than set schedule, sometimes there might be a day between, sometimes I hit it three days in a row. It has actually worked quite well for me.
Thinking about going to a push/pull split for a while. ex:
1: back/bis
2: legs
3:chest/tris/shoulders

Any thoughts?
Shaun

futurefreak101
01-25-09, 11:30 am
push pull splits are good whatever works for you.
i personally use a 5 day split
mon-chest
tue-back
wed-legs
thur-shoulders
fri-arms

you should consider trying something like that also.

cstmgp
01-25-09, 2:43 pm
I have definitely considered that, just looking for some more overall growth before I concentrate on one group a day.
Right now, I'm hitting small groups like bis indirectly, that's what I'm debating. By switching to push/pull, I'll be using those muscles in the same day instead.
So, continue one day direct/inderect, or destroy all in one day and allow more rest.
Shaun

futurefreak101
01-25-09, 5:03 pm
I have definitely considered that, just looking for some more overall growth before I concentrate on one group a day.
Right now, I'm hitting small groups like bis indirectly, that's what I'm debating. By switching to push/pull, I'll be using those muscles in the same day instead.
So, continue one day direct/inderect, or destroy all in one day and allow more rest.
Shaun

when do you squat and deadlift?

sanga
01-25-09, 5:07 pm
Personally I`d go for...

Monday chest/tris/shoulders
Wednesday Legs
Friday back/bis

Feel The Power
01-25-09, 5:18 pm
I like this split idea.. I may even give it a try myself since I'm always into mixing up my training. How many sets for each body part do you think?? 3-4 sets?

Personally I`d go for...

Monday chest/tris/shoulders
Wednesday Legs
Friday back/bis

sanga
01-25-09, 5:24 pm
I like this split idea.. I may even give it a try myself since I'm always into mixing up my training. How many sets for each body part do you think?? 3-4 sets?

Depends on your experience and goals, lets say you wanted mass and was on a lot of calories to pack on size then I`d pick 1 big basic exercise and hit it for 4-5 sets all out to failure.

Feel The Power
01-25-09, 5:37 pm
My goals at the time are loosing fat and I have roughly 10 years experience of tossing around the iron. I was just thinking if I was lifting only 3 days a week I could make those my higher carb days, go low carb the other days, and have lots of time left to do cardio. Even though I hate it I know it is necessary to reach my goals. What do you think if I did 3 exercises for 3 sets each for every muscle group (chest, back, bi, tri, shoulders), (not counting warmups), and maybe a couple more exercises for legs since they are a larger muscle group. Not sure if this would be a beneficial split if I was on a cut and I am cycling my carbs. Let me know what you think...

Thanks!

sanga
01-25-09, 5:43 pm
Yeah you could do that, I used to but am training DC now so find it hard to get out of the 1 all out rest pause set mind you know but DC isn`t for everyone and should only be used for the advanced lifter who has been training a long time, yourself for instance.

I think your idea of 3 exercises for 3 sets is fine 3 days a week with the carb suggestion and cardio off days.

Think I`d hit major lifts though, squats, deads,chins,bench etc.

Feel The Power
01-25-09, 5:53 pm
sounds like a plan. I have researched DC, but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for your input. I think I will try this split out in a few weeks for something different. I'm always looking for new ways to shock my muscles and keep my body guessing.

Yeah you could do that, I used to but am training DC now so find it hard to get out of the 1 all out rest pause set mind you know but DC isn`t for everyone and should only be used for the advanced lifter who has been training a long time, yourself for instance.

I think your idea of 3 exercises for 3 sets is fine 3 days a week with the carb suggestion and cardio off days.

Think I`d hit major lifts though, squats, deads,chins,bench etc.

In Flames
01-25-09, 5:54 pm
Monday - Legs
Wednesday - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Friday - Back/Biceps

Legs
1 x 12-20 Leg Extensions
1 x 12-20 Leg Press
1 x 12-20 Standing Calf Raises

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
1 x 6-10 Fly's (Flat, Incline or Pec Deck Machine)
1 x 3-5 Incline Barbell or Incline Hammer Strength Bench

1 x 6-10 Standing Side DB Laterals or Machine Seated Side Laterals
1 x 6-10 Bent-over Rear DB Laterals or Reverse Machine Fly's

1 x 6-10 Skull-crushers or Pushdowns
1 x 3-5 Dips

Back/Biceps
1 x 6-10 Underhand Close Grip Pull-downs
1 x 6-10 Bent-over Barbell Rows
1 x 6-10 Regular or Stiff Legged Deadlift

1 x 6-10 Barbell Curls

Each set all out failure (explosive postive 1-2 seconds and slow and controlled negative 3-5 seconds). On the big compound exercise like Deads, Rows do 1-2 warm-ups.

cstmgp
01-25-09, 11:23 pm
when do you squat and deadlift?

I've been doing squats on leg day, and deads on back day. I've made some huge gains in my deads, but the squats are coming a little more slowly.
Shaun