PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a belt to keep waist smaller?

Fricano
01-25-09, 10:39 pm
A lot of pros say they wear belts to keep their waists smaller and tighter. Is there any scientific proof for this? Do the negatives (decreased use of the abdominal muscles...) out weigh the positives?

PopeJohnPwn
01-26-09, 12:29 am
I'm sure that it's true that wearing a belt reduces abdominal involvement, and therefore probably hinders abdominal growth to a degree, but I personally don't believe it to be a very large difference. I don't wear belts, but I have friends that do ALL the time for the very reasoning in question here--they often complain of back pain, and don't seem to have good stability. So, you could probably get away with wearing a belt for your heaviest sets, your maxes, etc., but going without one and using slightly less weight for your warmups/other working sets/etc. etc.

Just my two cents.

shredder
01-26-09, 3:42 am
I've heard the same thing about the belts...curious as well.

C.Coronato
01-26-09, 10:55 am
The scientific proof is actually that you have an internal 'weight belt' This is called your transverse abdominis. Your TA is very important to keep strong as it is also the main core of your core. People who use a belt all the time become way to reliant on it, and in turn weaken their TA. When lifting extremely heavy i would suggest wearing a belt, but as for using it all the time, i would steer clear.

fenix237
01-26-09, 11:10 am
i've always bought into the idea of doing the majority of your lifts with no belts, straps, wraps, gloves...etc. as a lot of you bros would agree- it compromises your body's own musculature system, and cheats it out of becoming as strong as it can/should be. i only wrist wraps when my grip is my weakest link and a belt on the absolute heaviest sets, and even then it's not necessary, it just allows you to throw on one more set of 45's

Big Wides
01-26-09, 4:16 pm
When using a belt for squats or deads, flex your abs against the belt it makes the lift eaiser plus it allows you to use your abs and have the safety of a belt. Use it when you need to like any other tool in training

ANewBreed
01-26-09, 6:29 pm
In total agreement with everyone...I didnt use a belt for a personal best of 315 for 6 on squats...Ive been dealing with lower back problems ever since. Now obviously, it was my fault that I have a lower back problem, my form got sloppy at the end. but thats the beauty of a belt, it allows you to get away with a little bit when youre going your heaviest and you have to give 200%. Other than that, unless you have a lower back condition, belts should be avoided. Treetrunk said it best...the internal weight belt needs to be strengthened, and using a belt all the time takes away stimulation.

BaseballMonster
01-26-09, 7:08 pm
Personally I don't wear a belt till I get to that last set when my legs are ready to collapse and my form kinda sucks. But I do go balls to the wall every set with good form. Mazing out I will defintely use one...

Just my opinion...