PDA

View Full Version : Bench Monsters

redskin 344
01-26-09, 9:04 pm
I know that scott mendelson has the raw bench record of 715 pounds, but has ryan kennelly surpassed that?

According to this amazing video of him in his younger days, it says that he was already benching over 700 lbs, raw i think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTStr0x-aw&NR=1

NickW
01-27-09, 12:38 pm
No, Kennelly has not surpassed it..yet. There are a couple guys knocking on that records door though.

C.Coronato
01-27-09, 12:42 pm
wow. hes just amazing tho. That alone is an amazing feet.

jeff00z28
01-27-09, 3:50 pm
mendelson has outgrown weights. hes close grip benching harleys now

simpleguy
01-27-09, 3:52 pm
I've seen (on youtube) raw benches, unassisted, close to 800lbs, just not in meets

Young&Hungry
01-27-09, 9:51 pm
All Kennelly has to do is enter a meet and the raw record is his, there's no question about it. And no he was not hitting anywhere near 700 raw in high school. A little less or more than 500? Wouldn't doubt it. I believe J-Rock hit 475 raw at 186 pounds bodyweight in high school and in terms of raw (not shirted) strength they're not terribly far away from each other so that just goes to show you.

IRBS
01-27-09, 9:55 pm
I've seen (on youtube) raw benches, unassisted, close to 800lbs, just not in meets

link an 800 raw bench(s) please, I would like to see it as I have never seen, or heard, of anyone doing an unassisted 800 bench...

IRBS
01-27-09, 9:56 pm
All Kennelly has to do is enter a meet and the raw record is his, there's no question about it. And no he was not hitting anywhere near 700 raw in high school. A little less or more than 500? Wouldn't doubt it. I believe J-Rock hit 475 raw at 186 pounds bodyweight in high school and in terms of raw (not shirted) strength they're not terribly far away from each other so that just goes to show you.

I know some guys who competed with Kennelly that said he hits 780ish to a 3-board raw warming up like its nothing...they say it is absolutely amazing...

prowrestler
01-27-09, 10:04 pm
kennely is a fuckin bench monster. if he decides to go and destroy the raw division, no one will stop him. he cut weight and set an all time record, the guy is a true freak.

redskin 344
01-27-09, 10:17 pm
IMO kennelly is more of the BENCH MONSTER because hes got a shit load of more vids of him benching and hes crazier with the barbell, but mendelson is more of a skilled bencher which is why he pushes bigger weight. Also if anyone does know, mendelson also squatted 1000 lbs from what Im aware of which is amazing.

NickW
01-28-09, 5:04 am
Mendy has never squatted a grand , he claimed it (as a raw lift) on Power Unlimited, but it is a completely fictitious lift. Kennelly would take some work to get to the raw record which is why he hasn't set it yet. 700+ raw is a lot of weight for ANYONE to bench, no one can just go and do it. What you can do to a 3brd says nothing about what you can do to your chest, especially when you are a shirted lifter, thats your wheelhouse. There is 0 doubt in my mind that Ryan could get the record if he trained for just that for a couple months. The only reason he might not go for it though is because of the high risk of injury. The number of vids you have online also has O to do with how much strength you have, it just means you have access to a camera. Mendy is less of a technique lifter than Ryan, he is brutally fucking strong, which is why he misses so many lifts in competitions.

redskin 344
01-28-09, 8:01 am
Mendy is less of a technique lifter than Ryan, he is brutally fucking strong, which is why he misses so many lifts in competitions.

Wait sorry I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that Ryan is a better bencher than Mendy?

If Mendy is able to bench more raw weight than kennelly than mendy is the superior technique lifter. Strength is skill/technique on how hard you tense your muscles and mendy is more skilled if is able to push more weight.

IRBS
01-28-09, 8:37 am
Mendy has never squatted a grand , he claimed it (as a raw lift) on Power Unlimited, but it is a completely fictitious lift. Kennelly would take some work to get to the raw record which is why he hasn't set it yet. 700+ raw is a lot of weight for ANYONE to bench, no one can just go and do it. What you can do to a 3brd says nothing about what you can do to your chest, especially when you are a shirted lifter, thats your wheelhouse. There is 0 doubt in my mind that Ryan could get the record if he trained for just that for a couple months. The only reason he might not go for it though is because of the high risk of injury. The number of vids you have online also has O to do with how much strength you have, it just means you have access to a camera. Mendy is less of a technique lifter than Ryan, he is brutally fucking strong, which is why he misses so many lifts in competitions.

LOL, I didnt mean to belittle Mendy's 715 at all. I agree that Ryan would have to dial it in over a couple months. Just saying that I think he could take the record if he trained for it. (And I am fully aware that a raw 3-board doesnt equate to equal numbers to the chest).

I do think that Ryan is the superior bencher.

NickW
01-28-09, 9:58 am
Ryan is a better bencher than Mendy in terms of technique, Mendy has more brute strength behind his lifts......but that doesn't always equal out to higher lifts, especially once gear is involved. My comments weren't all directed at you, most people generally assume that Ryan can just go and break the record anytime he wants, not taking into consideration how different shirted benching and raw benching are. Some of the other comments people made were just rediculous, lol.

simpleguy
01-28-09, 12:48 pm
link an 800 raw bench(s) please, I would like to see it as I have never seen, or heard, of anyone doing an unassisted 800 bench...

I said close to 800, not 800

I can't find it right now but I'm dead sure it has been posted here on the forvm a couple of months ago, it was definitely over 750, somewhere along 770-780 or so

redskin 344
01-28-09, 1:12 pm
If Scot Mendelson is able to bench more than Ryan kennelly he is more skilled in benching. Strength is all skill in technique, here is a video that will trully prove it to you

Alexey Sivikon, 145 lbs
Benched 520 lbs raw
http://www.ironscene.com/videos/1228_alexey_sivokon_232.5kg_benchpress_at_67.5

He really inspired me.

simpleguy
01-28-09, 1:16 pm
If Scot Mendelson is able to bench more than Ryan kennelly he is more skilled in benching. Strength is all skill in technique, here is a video that will trully prove it to you

Alexey Sivikon, 145 lbs
Benched 520 lbs raw

He really inspired me.

wow, 520 @ 145 is great, I'm very impressed

IRBS
01-28-09, 1:39 pm
I said close to 800, not 800

I can't find it right now but I'm dead sure it has been posted here on the forvm a couple of months ago, it was definitely over 750, somewhere along 770-780 or so

The only raw bench over 700 that I have seen is Mendy's 715. I would like to see a raw bench over that, as I have not seen or heard of it anywhere.

IRBS
01-28-09, 1:41 pm

Alexey Sivikon, 145 lbs
Benched 520 lbs raw

He really inspired me.

Thats not raw...he is wearing a bench shirt....

(I AM NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM THIS LIFT, IT IS AMAZING AT THAT BODYWEIGHT...just trying to make sure everyone is clear, that is not a raw lift...)

NickW
01-28-09, 1:51 pm

Alexey Sivikon, 145 lbs
Benched 520 lbs raw

He really inspired me.

Strength is not all skill in technique. Strength is brute physical force/power. The vid you used to demonstrate your point is of a geared lift, where tecnique is almost as important as strength. Mendy can't touch Ryan in a shirt, but Ryan has yet to meet Mendy's lifts raw.

redskin 344
01-28-09, 3:21 pm
Strength is not all skill in technique. Strength is brute physical force/power. The vid you used to demonstrate your point is of a geared lift, where tecnique is almost as important as strength. Mendy can't touch Ryan in a shirt, but Ryan has yet to meet Mendy's lifts raw.

But brute physical power is skill that you develop from constant practice of muscle tension which develops incredible muscle nerve conduction from the brain. The stronger you are, the more 'nerve force' you are provided form your brain.

NickW
01-28-09, 4:01 pm
But brute physical power is skill that you develop from constant practice of muscle tension which develops incredible muscle nerve conduction from the brain. The stronger you are, the more 'nerve force' you are provided form your brain.

You can have strength without having practiced it, my brother doesn't workout and yet he can pick things up that most people I know can't. Strength is a physical attribute, skill is a competency in something gained through practice.

Skill: –noun 1. the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well: Carpentry was one of his many skills.
2. competent excellence in performance; expertness; dexterity: The dancers performed with skill.
3. a craft, trade, or job requiring manual dexterity or special training in which a person has competence and experience: the skill of cabinetmaking.

Strength:–noun 1. the quality or state of being strong; bodily or muscular power; vigor.
2. mental power, force, or vigor.
3. moral power, firmness, or courage.
4. power by reason of influence, authority, resources, numbers, etc.
5. number, as of personnel or ships in a force or body: a regiment with a strength of 3000.
6. effective force, potency, or cogency, as of inducements or arguments: the strength of his plea.
7. power of resisting force, strain, wear, etc.
8. vigor of action, language, feeling, etc.
9. the effective or essential properties characteristic of a beverage, chemical, or the like: The alcoholic strength of brandy far exceeds that of wine.
10. a particular proportion or concentration of these properties; intensity, as of light, color, sound, flavor, or odor: coffee of normal strength.
11. something or someone that gives one strength or is a source of power or encouragement; sustenance: The Bible was her strength and joy.
12. power to rise or remain firm in prices: Stocks continued to show strength. The pound declined in strength.

redskin 344
01-28-09, 4:16 pm
You can have strength without having practiced it, my brother doesn't workout and yet he can pick things up that most people I know can't. Strength is a physical attribute, skill is a competency in something gained through practice.

Skill: –noun 1. the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well: Carpentry was one of his many skills.
2. competent excellence in performance; expertness; dexterity: The dancers performed with skill.
3. a craft, trade, or job requiring manual dexterity or special training in which a person has competence and experience: the skill of cabinetmaking.

Strength:–noun 1. the quality or state of being strong; bodily or muscular power; vigor.
2. mental power, force, or vigor.
3. moral power, firmness, or courage.
4. power by reason of influence, authority, resources, numbers, etc.
5. number, as of personnel or ships in a force or body: a regiment with a strength of 3000.
6. effective force, potency, or cogency, as of inducements or arguments: the strength of his plea.
7. power of resisting force, strain, wear, etc.
8. vigor of action, language, feeling, etc.
9. the effective or essential properties characteristic of a beverage, chemical, or the like: The alcoholic strength of brandy far exceeds that of wine.
10. a particular proportion or concentration of these properties; intensity, as of light, color, sound, flavor, or odor: coffee of normal strength.
11. something or someone that gives one strength or is a source of power or encouragement; sustenance: The Bible was her strength and joy.
12. power to rise or remain firm in prices: Stocks continued to show strength. The pound declined in strength.

Yea, I agree with you. But strength IS indeed a skill of simply having more muscle nerve funcioning form the CNS. The more you train your brain to provide your muscle nerves with tension so they can produce more force, the stronger you get in any lift. This is done by frequent practice of tensing your muscles without causing any fatigue on them. Your brain will get used to it and you will be able to tense harder and harder.

Maybe your brother does constant manuel labor instead of working out, anything that causes tension on the muscles and is done frequently without overtraining or causing fatigue will create great strength quickly. Or maybe its genetics..

NickW
01-28-09, 4:35 pm
Yea, I agree with you. But strength IS indeed a skill of simply having more muscle nerve funcioning form the CNS. The more you train your brain to provide your muscle nerves with tension so they can produce more force, the stronger you get in any lift. This is done by frequent practice of tensing your muscles without causing any fatigue on them. Your brain will get used to it and you will be able to tense harder and harder.

Maybe your brother does constant manuel labor instead of working out, anything that causes tension on the muscles and is done frequently without overtraining or causing fatigue will create great strength quickly. Or maybe its genetics..

Peoples nerves will only fire so fast, there is a limit imposed genetically (as with almost every other factor involved with strength or muscle building). The amount of fast twitch muscle fibers one has is also very beneficial for strength and has nothing to do with practice or skill. My brother plays video games all day, lol, he is just retard strong (strong for no reason, a genetic gift).

Little Z
01-28-09, 4:38 pm
Peoples nerves will only fire so fast, there is a limit imposed genetically (as with almost every other factor involved with strength or muscle building). The amount of fast twitch muscle fibers one has is also very beneficial for strength and has nothing to do with practice or skill. My brother plays video games all day, lol, he is just retard strong (strong for no reason, a genetic gift).

I absolutely agree with you Nick, your genetics can take you only so far.

I have a buddy who is strong like your brother (doesnt realize his own strength).. its amazing to see some of the things
people with that gift can do..

brandonA
01-28-09, 5:58 pm
Hey Nick,
I get the feeling that some folks on here don't know who you are or what you have accomplished. Maybe if they knew that you are one of the best raw benchers in the world, that might make this discussion a bit easier.

http://www.criticalbench.com/Nick-Winters.htm

-B

redskin 344
01-28-09, 6:43 pm
Wait Nick, you benched 715 RAW?

holy mother of God. Im searchin your ass on youtube right now

redskin 344
01-28-09, 6:46 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go3Og5mv2VM&feature=PlayList&p=5E569FA46319A19F&playnext=1&index=36

Nick is this you?

I commented on the video lol
Im the one on the top of the comments pakishock91

Elite
01-28-09, 7:41 pm
Nicks also the man mountain you see in the cage, loitering behind whoevers going on bench, as their spot. Some great points have been made in this thread.

NickW
01-28-09, 10:23 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go3Og5mv2VM&feature=PlayList&p=5E569FA46319A19F&playnext=1&index=36

Nick is this you?

I commented on the video lol
Im the one on the top of the comments pakishock91

Yes, that was me. With luck I will be benching in the cage myself this year, not just spotting!

redskin 344
01-28-09, 10:31 pm
Yes, that was me. With luck I will be benching in the cage myself this year, not just spotting!

is your max still 650 or has it gone up?

NickW
01-28-09, 10:41 pm
is your max still 650 or has it gone up?

Its gone up, lol. I just did my second semi-heavy workout in months and I smoked 655 and then got 585 on incline.

redskin 344
01-29-09, 4:32 pm
Its gone up, lol. I just did my second semi-heavy workout in months and I smoked 655 and then got 585 on incline.

good shit man, by the way the moustache looks badass lol

redskin 344
01-29-09, 5:02 pm
mendelson has outgrown weights. hes close grip benching harleys now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bk6n9romyo&feature=PlayList&p=330A7AF87C577380&playnext=1&index=89

I love this video