PDA

View Full Version : Broscience... What is it?

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 1:50 pm
I hear this term tossed around a lot on various forums. What does this term mean exactly? I've seen it used in many diff ways...

Related term: "brotology"

Mr. Dead
01-27-09, 1:52 pm
Don't feel bad... I'm clueless, as well, as to what it is...

Big Wides
01-27-09, 1:55 pm
It is my hillbilly PA understanding that "bro" or "cousin" is a term used in New Jersey

Nightshift
01-27-09, 1:58 pm
Is this under the same umbrella as terms like "Bromance"??

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:00 pm
Is this under the same umbrella as terms like "Bromance"??

Yes, but bear in mind that umbrella is quite large. Haha....

Nightshift
01-27-09, 2:02 pm
I tried looking up the term "Broscience) on Wikipedia.....nothing found.

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:03 pm
I tried looking up the term "Broscience) on Wikipedia.....nothing found.

What I can't figure out for sure is if it refers to "laddered" science or the kinda science that emphasizes experience over science.

Brick By Brick
01-27-09, 2:04 pm
My short time and experience on the bodybuilding.com forum has led me to believe that "broscience" is training and supp advice based on popular word-of-mouth, whatever is popular at the time, etc.. Not necessarily proven, lab based, certifiable info, so to say.

Mr. Dead
01-27-09, 2:05 pm
1. broscience 60 up, 10 down
Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters. Generally spouted most by guys who have used loads of steroids and are huge, have no idea what is happening to their bodies and then share that same cluelessness with others who make the false assumption that their experience means that they have knowledge.

Watch who you listen to. Seriously. They are everywhere, sharing their knowledge - B5150.
"I never had any hairloss when I pinned the testosterone in my butt cheeks, but when I tried pinning in my bicep, I went bald" is some broscience you could find in a forum, or a gym

2. BroScience 18 up, 3 down
Anecdotal evidence presented as fact by unqualified, yet confident indvidulas in the body building community.
Rampent within liftring forums and message boards, the information is usualy based on hearsay with little to no scientific evidence to support the claims made by the individual.
Examples can be limited to a single fram of mind: It worked for me, so it works the same way for everyone!

There is actually a forum that is called broscience dot com that caters to these claims.
An example of Broscience is as follows:
If you want to cut fat and get muscle definition, do high reps, low weight

3. Broscience 33 up, 1 down
Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.
Broscience in action:

"Bro, you gotta slam 40-60 grams of waxy maize plus 20 grams of BCAA within 7 seconds of finishing your last set of squat rack curls. Otherwise, you'll go straight catabolic."

trainer89
01-27-09, 2:05 pm
Im not to sure what it means either. but when im on bb.com and in the teenage section they use it. They give THIER opinion on diet and training and they call that broscience. and i really dont take teenagers advice cause there not experienced enough to give advice.

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:06 pm
My short time and experience on the bodybuilding.com forum has led me to believe that "broscience" is training and supp advice based on popular word-of-mouth, whatever is popular at the time, etc.. Not necessarily proven, lab based, certifiable info, so to say.

Right... That's one definition I saw as well. But another is where you take legit science and then stretch it as far as ya can and then apply it to a supp (laddered science).... So I'm always confused.

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:07 pm
1. broscience 60 up, 10 down
Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters. Generally spouted most by guys who have used loads of steroids and are huge, have no idea what is happening to their bodies and then share that same cluelessness with others who make the false assumption that their experience means that they have knowledge.

Watch who you listen to. Seriously. They are everywhere, sharing their knowledge - B5150.
"I never had any hairloss when I pinned the testosterone in my butt cheeks, but when I tried pinning in my bicep, I went bald" is some broscience you could find in a forum, or a gym

2. BroScience 18 up, 3 down
Anecdotal evidence presented as fact by unqualified, yet confident indvidulas in the body building community.
Rampent within liftring forums and message boards, the information is usualy based on hearsay with little to no scientific evidence to support the claims made by the individual.
Examples can be limited to a single fram of mind: It worked for me, so it works the same way for everyone!

There is actually a forum that is called broscience dot com that caters to these claims.
An example of Broscience is as follows:
If you want to cut fat and get muscle definition, do high reps, low weight

3. Broscience 33 up, 1 down
Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.
Broscience in action:

"Bro, you gotta slam 40-60 grams of waxy maize plus 20 grams of BCAA within 7 seconds of finishing your last set of squat rack curls. Otherwise, you'll go straight catabolic."

So... Is broscience good or bad????

Mr. Dead
01-27-09, 2:07 pm
Brotelligence...

1. Brotelligence
The standard "knowledge" of the common forum bodybuilder. Usually connotating the idiocy and anti-science dogma of bodybuilders who trust their "good bro".
The brotelligence at elite fitness is astounding.

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:08 pm
I guess when trying to cut through all the clutter, the real question is, which is more important? Experience or science? As I see it, there are four kinds of science in the supp industry....

- Real science
- Broscience (experience)
- Faux science (laddered science)
- No science

That about right fellas?

Mr. Dead
01-27-09, 2:09 pm
I guess when trying to cut through all the clutter, the real question is, which is more important? Experience or science? As I see it, there are four kinds of science in the supp industry....

- Real science
- No science

That about right fellas?

That about sums it up...

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:11 pm
That about sums it up...

And in my experience, Animal seems to fall under "broscience"--that also right?

Brick By Brick
01-27-09, 2:12 pm
Right... That's one definition I saw as well. But another is where you take legit science and then stretch it as far as ya can and then apply it to a supp (laddered science).... So I'm always confused.
From what I've seen, myself included, people on bb or pl forums don't have a vast knowledge of science, legit or otherwise, so application of limited knowledge to the supplement world still seems like negligible advice. Still a form of "I have a friend who knew a guy who has a cousin who once trained with Louie Simmons that said if you do Good Mornings on Tuesdays you'll get jacked." So who knows... lol. Just my very humble two cents.

Little Z
01-27-09, 2:13 pm

- Real science
- No science

That about right fellas?

Agreed

simpleguy
01-27-09, 2:24 pm
for me broscience is doing supporting something simply because you heard a lot of people doing it, no real world-tested info proving that

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:26 pm
for me broscience is doing supporting something simply because you heard a lot of people doing it, no real world-tested info proving that

So rumor vs. real world results for you, S?

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:26 pm
From what I've seen, myself included, people on bb or pl forums don't have a vast knowledge of science, legit or otherwise, so application of limited knowledge to the supplement world still seems like negligible advice. Still a form of "I have a friend who knew a guy who has a cousin who once trained with Louie Simmons that said if you do Good Mornings on Tuesdays you'll get jacked." So who knows... lol. Just my very humble two cents.

For me, the fundamental question is, is there even science and is the application of that science legit?

simpleguy
01-27-09, 2:30 pm

the part with real world results can be a little confusing... because if a person does something wrong, and most things good, he will preach that everything he does is good because it works for him

but what if he did that wrong thing better, he would have better results right?

anyway, it's not like there are only wrong and right things, there are shades of gray in between

Vinny G
01-27-09, 2:32 pm
It is my hillbilly PA understanding that "bro" or "cousin" is a term used in New Jersey

YES and we are proud of it

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:32 pm
YES and we are proud of it

Yo V, what about the term, "cuz" or however ya spell it...

Vinny G
01-27-09, 2:35 pm

- Real science
- No science

That about right fellas?

i like making the guys who know this industry by only a book...look at me dazed as how did you do that, thats not what the book says look.

i like to jump in and see if i can swim....not hold onto a gleam of hope from a book written by a person with lots of letters next to his name....WHO NEVER WALKED THE WALK of what he's talking about.

simpleguy
01-27-09, 2:38 pm
for me an example of broscience would be when someone recommends say a Real Gains shake + 1 cup of oats + milk + fruit + peanut butter before bed because 'it will make you grow'

imo that's something which should only be used by virtually nobody, except a hardgainer with a crazy metabolism... and even then, carbs will work great throughout the day, not downing a shake of 150+ gr of carbs before bed

another example of broscience is that after a good night sleep you are in a crazy catabolic state... I hear people rushing to the kitchen as soon as they wake up to down a whey isolate shake because they've been catabolic for hours, and it's like a massive amount of muscle has been lost... your body burns almost only fat during sleep, the protein amount is really so small

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:41 pm
for me an example of broscience would be when someone recommends say a Real Gains shake + 1 cup of oats + milk + fruit + peanut butter before bed because 'it will make you grow'

imo that's something which should only be used by virtually nobody, except a hardgainer with a crazy metabolism... and even then, carbs will work great throughout the day, not downing a shake of 150+ gr of carbs before bed

another example of broscience is that after a good night sleep you are in a crazy catabolic state... I hear people rushing to the kitchen as soon as they wake up to down a whey isolate shake because they've been catabolic for hours, and it's like a massive amount of muscle has been lost... your body burns almost only fat during sleep, the protein amount is really so small

So broscience, for you, is when somebody makes a one-size-all kinda recommendation, as if it it applied to every situation? Like, whey protein is the best protein around?

Vinny G
01-27-09, 2:42 pm
Yo V, what about the term, "cuz" or however ya spell it...

yo....would usually start it off.

yo cuz.

Universal Rep
i like making the guys who know this industry by only a book...look at me dazed as how did you do that, thats not what the book says look.

i like to jump in and see if i can swim....not hold onto a gleam of hope from a book written by a person with lots of letters next to his name....WHO NEVER WALKED THE WALK of what he's talking about.

I'll take "walked the walk" any time of the week, V...

LittleMan55
Broscience is taking one set of advice and running full bore wide open with it as if it were the Holy Bible of authroities in bodybuilding.

Broscience are the supposed "facts" that are slowly being debunked and put to rest. It's a lot like brick described it as. I find the biggest brother in the gym, he tells me something and I go share with the world like its the answer from above. Then vow that it is the only way without knowing anything about what I'm talking about. Then when people disagree I go ape shit bonkers protesting that everyone around me is wrong because the HUGE guy said it and he is huge so it has to work.

Its a lot of misconstured facts, that are misapplied to practical situations, resulting in a massive cluster fuck of missinformation. It is a true absence of people finding out what works for them and believing everything they read.

e.g. Eating 500 cals above maint. clean will make you grow and not gain fat. Some will take this as that you should only eat 500 above. If you go over you will be fat. They fail to cosider that metabolisms are different, that intensity of exercise is different, that peoples bodies react differntly to various food sources. For some 500 extra may make them a tub or lard, for others they could go months and never gain a pound. But, the people who buy into "broscience" will stick by it like its gold and bitch and moan when they cant get results.

Ok I will stop ranting now. That is what I have noticed it being at various other forums. Hope that helps any U.

Mr. Dead
01-27-09, 2:44 pm

Amen...

LittleMan55
01-27-09, 2:45 pm
So broscience, for you, is when somebody makes a one-size-all kinda recommendation, as if it it applied to every situation? Like, whey protein is the best protein around?

Or that this is the only and best exercise to grow! Or white rice will make you fat if not consumeed at work out time. Dairy is evil.

simpleguy
So broscience, for you, is when somebody makes a one-size-all kinda recommendation, as if it it applied to every situation

I guess you could put it that way

Like, whey protein is the best protein around?

in my view, that's not broscience, that's a fact ;)

though one's best bet is to use all the great protein sources like whey, beef, eggs, fish, chicken, milk and so on

Universal Rep
Broscience is taking one set of advice and running full bore wide open with it as if it were the Holy Bible of authroities in bodybuilding.

Broscience are the supposed "facts" that are slowly being debunked and put to rest. It's a lot like brick described it as. I find the biggest brother in the gym, he tells me something and I go share with the world like its the answer from above. Then vow that it is the only way without knowing anything about what I'm talking about. Then when people disagree I go ape shit bonkers protesting that everyone around me is wrong because the HUGE guy said it and he is huge so it has to work.

Its a lot of misconstured facts, that are misapplied to practical situations, resulting in a massive cluster fuck of missinformation. It is a true absence of people finding out what works for them and believing everything they read.

e.g. Eating 500 cals above maint. clean will make you grow and not gain fat. Some will take this as that you should only eat 500 above. If you go over you will be fat. They fail to cosider that metabolisms are different, that intensity of exercise is different, that peoples bodies react differntly to various food sources. For some 500 extra may make them a tub or lard, for others they could go months and never gain a pound. But, the people who buy into "broscience" will stick by it like its gold and bitch and moan when they cant get results.

Ok I will stop ranting now. That is what I have noticed it being at various other forums. Hope that helps any U.

It does brother... My questions to you... Is broscience ever good? And if not, what is needed to combat broscience in your opinion? And what is the opposite of broscience?

LittleMan55
01-27-09, 2:46 pm

We can all learn some by reading, but the best way in this sport is by doing!
Thanks for showing us all that the past few years Vinny!

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:49 pm
Or that this is the only and best exercise to grow! Or white rice will make you fat if not consumeed at work out time. Dairy is evil.

Simple carbs are bad for you...
You should avoid sugar at all costs...
Supplements will make you huge by themselves...
Training will get you big, not food...
If a little is good, a lot has to be better...
You don't need balanced EFAs, just DHA/EPA...

Sadly, I could go on and on...

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:49 pm
yo....would usually start it off.

yo cuz.

Nice... Was "cuz" ever short for "cousin"? That the origin of the term??

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:50 pm
in my view, that's not broscience, that's a fact ;)

though one's best bet is to use all the great protein sources like whey, beef, eggs, fish, chicken, milk and so on

Haha... No it ain't.

Vinny G
01-27-09, 2:51 pm
Nice... Was "cuz" ever short for "cousin"? That the origin of the term??

yeah, and if they didnt call you cuz....you weren't one of the boys

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:52 pm
yeah, and if they didnt call you cuz....you weren't one of the boys

Hahahaha... Nice. Jersey boys are some tough dudes, I'll say that.

Wasteland
01-27-09, 2:54 pm

- Real science
- No science

That about right fellas?

Sadly, you did not list in order of predominance.

Vinny G
01-27-09, 2:55 pm
We can all learn some by reading, but the best way in this sport is by doing!
Thanks for showing us all that the past few years Vinny!

dont get me wrong, i read new shit all the time.

exmple:

back in 1996 i followed to the T, NASM'S view on training....i got small, and soft.

after 9 months...i went back to bodybuilding training and eating and got fuller, round, and very cut.

Vinny G
01-27-09, 2:56 pm
Hahahaha... Nice. Jersey boys are some tough dudes, I'll say that.

yeah nobody ever called you cuz...huh.....lol

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 2:57 pm
yeah nobody ever called you cuz...huh.....lol

Some.... Day. Maybe.........

Hahahaha....

Vinny G
01-27-09, 2:59 pm
Some.... Day. Maybe........

Hahahaha....

you have a sense of humor about it....you are now my cuz....lol

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 3:01 pm
you have a sense of humor about it....you are now my cuz....lol

Saweeet. When do I get my membership card?

Seriously though, V... You been through the trenches and been at this a long time. So you gotta have a lot of stories about the "science" of trainining, nutrition and supplementation that have come and gone, eh?

Maharg
01-27-09, 3:11 pm
When i was on MD the other day some guy said the Forvm was nothing but a bunch of "Brobots" since everyone says bro here.

Being from the ozarks, Bro and Cuz isnt quite a part of my daily vocab. We stick with Bud or, for some weird reason, call each other by just last names.

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 3:13 pm
When i was on MD the other day some guy said the Forvm was nothing but a bunch of "Brobots" since everyone says bro here.

Being from the ozarks, Bro and Cuz isnt quite a part of my daily vocab. We stick with Bud or, for some weird reason, call each other by just last names.

I've been on other forums where using the term "bro" is seen as a negative thing... Whatcha gonna do?

Maharg
01-27-09, 3:29 pm
I've been on other forums where using the term "bro" is seen as a negative thing... Whatcha gonna do?

Set them on fire?

Toni69
01-27-09, 3:33 pm

I concur on that..broscience to me is he said she said crap...yea maybe some of it has or had fact/value to it cause it could be based on someones actual experience. But I compare it to the game of telephone too...after a while, what started off coming out one way, ended up totally different or totally stretched...and of course, people are gullible and believe most of what they hear regardless of its true sources.

and the bro/bra thing..I have been called both and I personally dont care, cause Im cool like that, LOL..but I have come across a select few that found it offensive!

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 3:37 pm
I concur on that..broscience to me is he said she said crap...yea maybe some of it has or had fact/value to it cause it could be based on someones actual experience. But I compare it to the game of telephone too...after a while, what started off coming out one way, ended up totally different or totally stretched...and of course, people are gullible and believe most of what they hear regardless of its true sources.

and the bro/bra thing..I have been called both and I personally dont care, cause Im cool like that, LOL..but I have come across a select few that found it offensive!

But what happens when an IFBB pro is part of the "he said" formula, as one example T?

Toni69
01-27-09, 3:43 pm
But what happens when an IFBB pro is part of the "he said" formula, as one example T?

well, different strokes for different folks..if his or her "he said she said" theory worked for him regardless, doesnt mean it will or wont work for you or me...its a double edged sword with risks. One has to weigh out their options and decide for themselves. Problem is people cant do that so they look for the yellow brick road and follow it...even I have been gullible to this sorta bb'ing urban myth stuff...because without your own experiences to fall back on, you rely on others that catch or engage your attention???

G Diesel
01-27-09, 4:01 pm
Cybernerd, pencil neck jargon... Hate to put it that way, but the truth stings sometimes.

You can be an informed, intelligent individual and still learn from the experience of those more experienced than you. If I trained in a lab and my muscles grew in a petri dish, I'd care more about cited studies. Openness to anecdotal evidence balanced by healthy skepticism and real world personal experience is the only way to draw personal conclusions.

I won't buy into any horseshit ethos, snake oil peddling quack, pindick labcoat bodybuilder or black market pusher quasi guru.

I observe, I research, I question, I contemplate and consider... Then I apply and draw a conclusion.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 4:05 pm
well, different strokes for different folks..if his or her "he said she said" theory worked for him regardless, doesnt mean it will or wont work for you or me...its a double edged sword with risks. One has to weigh out their options and decide for themselves. Problem is people cant do that so they look for the yellow brick road and follow it...even I have been gullible to this sorta bb'ing urban myth stuff...because without your own experiences to fall back on, you rely on others that catch or engage your attention???

I knew the answer before I asked it, T... So I guess you could say, I set ya up, haha. It's like this kinda mentality... "If if worked for Joe Pro, then it's gotta work for me." Nope.

Toni69
01-27-09, 4:09 pm
I knew the answer before I asked it, T... So I guess you could say, I set ya up, haha. It's like this kinda mentality... "If if worked for Joe Pro, then it's gotta work for me." Nope.

exactly! and see..told you Im gullible! shame shame shame on YOU. ;)

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 4:19 pm
exactly! and see..told you Im gullible! shame shame shame on YOU. ;)

Haha.... Education is, to me, know about giving people "facts" (as in, Joe Pro does this), but giving people the tools to to "think" (as in Joe Pro does this, but what may work for him may not work for me--what he's doing is very different from what I want to do, etc.). I think one of the problems is that we live in an age where info is readily available through the internet, where info is stated, and then it's regurgitated and passed on ad nauseum in a matter of seconds--and suddenly, what was said in one specific context is now being said as if it's the absolute truth.

LittleMan55
01-27-09, 4:22 pm
Cybernerd, pencil neck jargon... Hate to put it that way, but the truth stings sometimes.

You can be an informed, intelligent individual and still learn from the experience of those more experienced than you. If I trained in a lab and my muscles grew in a petri dish, I'd care more about cited studies. Openness to anecdotal evidence balanced by healthy skepticism and real world personal experience is the only way to draw personal conclusions.

I won't buy into any horseshit ethos, snake oil peddling quack, pindick labcoat bodybuilder or black market pusher quasi guru.

I observe, I research, I question, I contemplate and consider... Then I apply and draw a conclusion.

Peace, G

I think the last line of your post is what most lack and what leads to the "bro" phenomenon. People want to jump the gun, find the magic pill, hit the newest craze work out and see results tomorrow. Shit just dont work like that!

Life is not a bed of roses... And nothing worth having came easy!!!

At the end of the day its all a matter of knowing where you are going, and means you need to get there.

B Con
01-27-09, 4:26 pm
Broscience aint nothing but the latest fashion. Another way to be with the "in crowd." You can either follow all the others and always wonder what happened or take fate by the horns and create your own science experiment. I prefer the hands on learning to someone quoting the latest research from inside their lab coats. Leave me to the iron and the brute force behind it. I'll figure out what works for me...

Mr. Dead
01-27-09, 4:26 pm
Haha.... Education is, to me, know about giving people "facts" (as in, Joe Pro does this), but giving people the tools to to "think" (as in Joe Pro does this, but what may work for him may not work for me--what he's doing is very different from what I want to do, etc.). I think one of the problems is that we live in an age where info is readily available through the internet, where info is stated, and then it's regurgitated and passed on ad nauseum in a matter of seconds--and suddenly, what was said in one specific context is now being said as if it's the absolute truth.

Kind of like the old experiment they did in classrooms... The teacher would whisper a phrase to the first student... The student would repeat it to the next, and so on, until they got to the last student who would then repeat the phrase to the teacher... And it would be totally not what the phrase was, to begin with...

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 4:28 pm

Peace, G

I think the last line of your post is what most lack and what leads to the "bro" phenomenon. People want to jump the gun, find the magic pill, hit the newest craze work out and see results tomorrow. Shit just dont work like that!

Life is not a bed of roses... And nothing worth having came easy!!!

At the end of the day its all a matter of knowing where you are going, and means you need to get there.

Agreed. People want simple, easy answers. Many don't wanna hear the truth. Truth is, what gets you there is pretty boring. What's the formula again? Oh yeah, dedication and consistency. That is, doing the same boring old things day in and day out and not deviating. And instead of worry about the basics, the fundamentals, the big picture, people get sidetracked, whether intentionally or not, on the details--worrying about what protein to take, what EFA supp, what multi....

LittleMan55
01-27-09, 4:37 pm
Agreed. People want simple, easy answers. Many don't wanna hear the truth. Truth is, what gets you there is pretty boring. What's the formula again? Oh yeah, dedication and consistency. That is, doing the same boring old things day in and day out and not deviating. And instead of worry about the basics, the fundamentals, the big picture, people get sidetracked, whether intentionally or not, on the details--worrying about what protein to take, what EFA supp, what multi....

If we all lose sight of the forest for the trees, where are we going to be?

Damn I'm glad you started this thread!

J-Dawg
01-27-09, 4:40 pm

Good point. Getting sidetracked is easy, sticking to the grind 24/7, now that's hard for most to do...

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 4:42 pm

Arborists??? Haha. Seriously, though, and we haven't even really discussed the topic of "science" yet and how it pertains to this conversation... I see this happen on so many forums every day. Someone cites a "piece" of science--maybe from one study, and suddenly, it's the universal truth. As if science is always right, never wrong and applicable to everything. I've seen people stretch science farther than anyone has a right too...

B Con
01-27-09, 4:44 pm
Good point. Getting sidetracked is easy, sticking to the grind 24/7, now that's hard for most to do...

So hard to do but so easy for people to make excuses for.

B Con
01-27-09, 4:45 pm
Arborists??? Haha. Seriously, though, and we haven't even really discussed the topic of "science" yet and how it pertains to this conversation... I see this happen on so many forums every day. Someone cites a "piece" of science--maybe from one study, and suddenly, it's the universal truth. As if science is always right, never wrong and applicable to everything. I've seen people stretch science farther than anyone has a right too...

I've seen this argued in so many threads as well people just pop in and cite the "science" or "study" as the untold gospel of supps.

Wasteland
01-27-09, 4:52 pm
I've seen this argued in so many threads as well people just pop in and cite the "science" or "study" as the untold gospel of supps.

Often, it's misguided or ignorant. But sometimes, it can be dangerous and irresponsible. As others have said, it's one thing to have raw information, but it's quite another to know how to use and apply that information in a practical manner. The internet has, unfortunately, made too many people an expert or a scientist.

LittleMan55
01-27-09, 4:54 pm

I have witnessed it at other forums as well and I often shake my head in dismay. Like G said we have to take this with a grain of salt, examine it for ourselves, then decide whether to try it.

I know very few universal truths other than I was born, I will die, while I work in the U.S. or for a U.S. company I will pay taxes, and I have a spiritual father that I follow of my own choice. The rest are up to debate.

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 4:58 pm
I have witnessed it at other forums as well and I often shake my head in dismay. Like G said we have to take this with a grain of salt, examine it for ourselves, then decide whether to try it.

Yup... And to me, experience is the lens through which we filter everything. Without experience, real world experience, everything would look the same--and we wouldn't be able to tell those grains of salt apart from the sand. Knowledge balanced by experience. Learning balanced by doing.... What else is there?

Dingo
01-28-09, 12:27 pm
And in my experience, Animal seems to fall under "broscience"--that also right?

more scientific than broscience.

"Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge" or "knowing") is the effort to discover, and increase human understanding of how the physical world works. Using controlled methods, scientists collect data in the form of observations, records of observable physical evidence of natural phenomena, and analyze this information to construct theoretical explanations of how things work. Knowledge in science is gained through research. The methods of scientific research include the generation of hypotheses about how natural phenomena work, and experimentation that tests these hypotheses under controlled conditions. The outcome or product of this empirical scientific process is the formulation of theory that describes human understanding of physical processes and facilitates prediction."

in most journey logs, beta tester logs and what have you, members here:
use controlled methods to:
create a hypothesis
test that hypothesis
analyze the results to come to a conclusion
post the results

http://gigalock.com/sfiab/docs/20071210_ScientificMethod.png

the term broscience to me seems quite a bit more hokey/snakeoil/witchdoctor to me than anything going on here.

Dingo
01-28-09, 12:35 pm

Peace, G

i believe thats called the scientific method

TunaBreath
01-28-09, 12:49 pm
"Broscientists" are the people who sit on pubmed all day looking up studies and posting them on BB.com. I go by what works for me with experience, not with people who have no medical/sports conditioning experience tell me to do because a study on pubmed said so.

GJN5002
01-28-09, 1:14 pm
like stated by many of you, broscience has been around forever, its just another form of my brother's friend's cousin told him that if you do this you will get x result and is often times nothing more than a big fish story. The internet is changing things in the world and before it, you may have relied on your data from an experienced lifter in your gym or atleast a notable columnist, but now YokdFreak22 on some forum is telling you how many mg of whatever you need to use. So now youre not only misinformed but putting yourelf in danger. Because you can hide behind a user name and avatar, many people feel more comfortable to spread false information in an attempt to make thmselves look smarter than you or whoever else they can pull the wool on. Truth is, in the world of natural bodybuilding, we arent evolving that quickly. We know what nutrients the body needs and we know the improtance of training methods and supplements. If someone is trying to tell you something that seems absurd it probably is. Just like the daily posts on other boards...rare herb that you cant pronounce increases anabolism by 30%. unfortunately its young guys with little experience that fall prey to these claims.

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 9:56 am
In this thread alone there are many different (and sometimes conflicting) definitions of "broscience"... Slippery term it is.

G Diesel
01-29-09, 11:25 am
In this thread alone there are many different (and sometimes conflicting) definitions of "broscience"... Slippery term it is.

How 'bout this definition?

It is what dudes that don't lift and study supplements call dudes that do lift and take supplements... Broscientists.

Peace, G

Cellerator65
01-29-09, 11:44 am
take everything you hear with a grain of salt and do some research for yourself.

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 1:02 pm
How 'bout this definition?

It is what dudes that don't lift and study supplements call dudes that do lift and take supplements... Broscientists.

Peace, G

Haha... That was along my line of thinkin', G. Terms like "broscience" and "broscientists"--people always use 'em to refer to someone else... It's never themselves (I'm a scientist because my knowledge of pubmed is greater, but your a broscientist becase you cite fewer studies... I'm a student of supplements, but you use them without overthinking things and lift, so you're a broscientist)... Funny, ain't it? It's like the word "ignorance". You're never ignorant. It's always someone else is who is ignorant, hahaha... When you can't understand something, just slap on a name and call someone something that you're not.

joe-yamma
01-29-09, 1:04 pm
another supp company has some articles on their website titled "Bustin' Broscience" (it's trademarked too, haha)
i thought that was pretty cool.

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 1:22 pm
Based on four pages, here's what I could summarize:

1. Advice based on popular/latest trends
2. Opinion/anecdotal observations passed off as fact
3. Anti-science dogma that values experience
4. Knowledge that lacks real world testing
5. Over the top statements/broad generalizations/one-size-fits all advice
6. Hearsay, rumor

joe-yamma
01-29-09, 1:32 pm
i tend to think of "broscience" in a negative connotation.
to me it's what lazy meatheads pass around the gym as fact because "so-and-so says so" or "my bro did it and it works great"

real world experience is much different, imo.

joe-yamma
01-29-09, 1:33 pm
Based on four pages, here's what I could summarize:
1. Advice based on popular/latest trends
here's a recent article that i found interesting that i think is relevant...
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/waxy_maize_starch_myth.htm

Hoomgar
01-29-09, 1:38 pm
It has also been used as an insult and meant as BRO-Science in a few threads. As in, ain't that right bro? Yo, my bro said this supp is the way to go bro. Mockery. Which all translates into flattery IMO. If you are a nothing and have nothing good to put out on the market people don't bother with you. If you come up with a good product that gains popularity as users of the product start to enjoy the results and then share their experience, the haters come out of the woodwork because you have become a perceived threat to what they believe or stand for. Thus, when used as a mockery, it is flattery...

Just my 2 cents, keep the change...

Hg

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 1:43 pm
It has also been used as an insult and meant as BRO-Science in a few threads. As in, ain't that right bro? Yo, my bro said this supp is the way to go bro. Mockery. Which all translates into flattery IMO. If you are a nothing and have nothing good to put out on the market people don't bother with you. If you come up with a good product that gains popularity as users of the product start to enjoy the results and then share their experience, the haters come out of the woodwork because you have become a perceived threat to what they believe or stand for. Thus, when used as a mockery, it is flattery...

Hg

I know what you're talkin' about H, and I like your spin on it. Sometimes, those comments are part of doin' business and the price that you have to pay to be #1. Many out there don't understand the camaraderie here or the fact that when "bro" is used, is used with sincerity and respect and familiarty. Instead of understanding it, I guess it's easier to mock it. But I think the level with which others mock, as you said, only highlights how sucessful something is...

Arbalest
01-29-09, 1:47 pm
Please don't tell me I brought the term "broscience" to the forvm...

Is this from the Natural/Keto thread? lol

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 1:49 pm
Please don't tell me I brought the term "broscience" to the forvm...

Is this from the Natural/Keto thread? lol

Trust me, you didn't. It's been around a while.

B Con
01-29-09, 1:50 pm

Hg

I hate when they do that. I see that more and more on certain boards. :sigh:

Mr. Dead
01-29-09, 1:52 pm
I know what you're talkin' about H, and I like your spin on it. Sometimes, those comments are part of doin' business and the price that you have to pay to be #1. Many out there don't understand the camaraderie here or the fact that when "bro" is used, is used with sincerity and respect and familiarty. Instead of understanding it, I guess it's easier to mock it. But I think the level with which others mock, as you said, only highlights how sucessful something is...

And, that is the only time I use the term...

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 1:54 pm
I hate when they do that. I see that more and more on certain boards. :sigh:

You sayin' it's tough to be a rep??

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 1:54 pm
And, that is the only time I use the term...

You calling me bro?

Mr. Dead
01-29-09, 1:55 pm
You calling me bro?

No, I refer to you as "Sir"...

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 1:56 pm
No, I refer to you as "Sir"...

Hahahahahaha, you still got MD, ya still got it...

B Con
01-29-09, 1:57 pm
You sayin' it's tough to be a rep??

It's tough but anything worth while is tough.

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 1:59 pm
It's tough but anything worth while is tough.

Touche. No perks though? All the PMs that fill your box??? Haha.

JMC
01-29-09, 2:00 pm
If I could inject one more theory...
I believe all of us over the age of 25 were once "Hulk-a-maniacs" - that said, it's burned into our brains to over use the word brother whenever possible. In the online forum world where we over abbreviate whenever possible, BRO becomes the accepted replacement.

Just a thought...

B Con
01-29-09, 2:01 pm
Touche. No perks though? All the PMs that fill your box??? Haha.

The PMs are definitely just another part of it. Feels good though helping others and steering them right.

Arbalest
01-29-09, 2:04 pm
Trust me, you didn't. It's been around a while.

Thank goodness. lol

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 2:07 pm
Thank goodness. lol

Thought ya could take the credit, eh? But why would you want to? Hahahahahah.

brandonA
01-29-09, 2:15 pm
sounds like a big pile of broshit to me fellas....

-B

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 2:16 pm

-B

What did ya say? Too busy wipin' some brogaine on my noggin...

LittleMan55
01-29-09, 2:21 pm

-B

That is one brotastic answer, broheim!

brandonA
01-29-09, 2:26 pm
That is one brotastic answer, broheim!

LOL..aware..

-B

Hoomgar
01-29-09, 2:43 pm
I'll be one to go on record as saying I use terms like "bro" "homie" "my man" and many others, all the time. Damn near every post. I take slight issue with anyone who has a problem with "that". But it's all good. See the real deal is that this is how I talk to my friends, family and even my children.

Don't get it twisted. I started out my life learning, speaking and using in everyday life a college level vocabulary when I was in grade school. This is thanks to my mother and an abnormally high IQ at an early age. I would enjoy walking about waxing philosophical to everyone. Showing off my superior vocabulary skills to anyone willing to lend an ear. I had the ability to articulate in a fashion that left most of the adults in my life in the dust of confusion, using words they either never heard before or had heard but didn't know what they meant. I was taught to run to the dictionary and encyclopedia on every instance upon which I would hear, see or read something that I did not fully understand.

What it got me... By the time I was in 4th grade I became extremely proficient at alienating people from me in less than two minutes. I learned how it felt to be picked on by the bullies who hated the higher academic kids of the day. I felt the pain of being beat up by gangs of people who were in the past my friends. I became, a "smart" ass.

Being a child and not having mature reasoning skills I fixed the problem in a traditional juvenile way. In a nut shell, I dumbed it down. I learned to talk like everyone else first. Avoiding "big" words or words that the hearer may possible not know or perceive as being from a higher intellect. I learned to use slang. I purposely sabotaged a few tests to get my grade level down so I could be in the "general" academic level groups. It seemed to work. It fixed my problem. For then...

As an adult I've learned the balance of things in life and am still learning every day. One thing has not changed though. I never went back to the way I was before. Even when mingled with company of like passion of my past youth. I may mix it up a bit to keep a decent level of rapport but I talk the way you read me here on the forum. Very much so. Anyone who has met me in person will tell you this is true.

So if I come off as over doing the bro bro yo yo whats new homie stuff? Sorry, but get over it, this is me. And unless obviously joking about something I mean every word I say and I mean it with the the deepest passion.

There isn't a single brother on here or anywhere that I have typed encouraging statements to that I didn't mean every word of it.

If anyone reads my posts and feels they are better than me, then by all means, be better man. More power to you and complete respect. I learned and am still learning to love those who hate and hate only the behaviors that offend. Not the offender...

All that said, broscience... to me the nest science there is, and the one I care about "the most" (notice I didn't say exclusively) is the one where a brother who has been in this sport for years, been through much trial and error, tells me that product X does wonders for Y then that is the science that holds the most credibility with me.

That is why I have my degree in brotology. ;) I've shared a lot of personal stuff about Hoom in here but it's all stuff that I not only don't care if you know, I want you all to know it.

Let me wrap it up by saying this. I type all of this because I have time to. I'm sitting at my desk. If I were getting ready to go into the gym you would be getting nothing! LOL!

You never know where a brother has come from as you talk to him unless he tells you. With that, I have much respect for everyone...

aight?

~chillin ;)

Hg

Mr. Dead
01-29-09, 2:47 pm
And, that's what we like about you, Hg... Bro...

B Con
01-29-09, 2:48 pm

You said it bro.

Just drinking some brotein. :)

Universal Rep
01-29-09, 2:49 pm
You said it bro.

Nice.... You bulkin' up? Lookin' to bro some muscles?

B Con
01-29-09, 2:52 pm

Haha Always looking to bro some muscles. Gotta get my bro on for the Cage.

dannynb
01-29-09, 2:54 pm
Real world results any day for me...I mean, you can create things and discover things in the lab, but until it's tested the old fashioned way, who knows how it'll turn out. Take for instance the miliatry...some lab rat comes up with this new "kick ass" weapon that will be revolutionary, by being cost effective and save lives by being high tech....great, put it in the field and more and more soldiers die because the damn thing either miss fires or jams up quite often. Just syaing some things sound great on paper, but I like to see how they hold up in the real deal first.

Hoomgar
01-29-09, 3:13 pm

You said it bro.

Haha Always looking to bro some muscles. Gotta get my bro on for the Cage.

OK ya'll need to knock that off! LOL! :)

Real world results any day for me...I mean, you can create things and discover things in the lab, but until it's tested the old fashioned way, who knows how it'll turn out. Take for instance the miliatry...some lab rat comes up with this new "kick ass" weapon that will be revolutionary, by being cost effective and save lives by being high tech....great, put it in the field and more and more soldiers die because the damn thing either miss fires or jams up quite often. Just syaing some things sound great on paper, but I like to see how they hold up in the real deal first.

Right there... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mr. Dead
01-29-09, 3:57 pm
OK ya'll need to knock that off! LOL! :)

Right there... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No Bro-mance...?

LittleMan55
01-29-09, 4:38 pm
That was a bro-lific post by Hg!

BiG in NYC 823
01-30-09, 12:55 pm
I just heard that there was a "BroFest" somewhere....

is this it?!?!

Universal Rep
01-30-09, 1:01 pm
I just heard that there was a "BroFest" somewhere....

is this it?!?!

Welcome brother. Where you been?

BiG in NYC 823
01-30-09, 1:13 pm
Welcome brother. Where you been?

Thank you sir!!

Feels good to be back "home". :)

I have been quite busy and distracted...Welcoming a new addition to my family (my brand new baby girl, now 3 months)....but expect me to be back to old "form".

Giant Killer
01-30-09, 1:22 pm
Hoomgar I just read all of that and I can echo your sentiments exactly. Great post.

Universal Rep
01-30-09, 1:38 pm
Thank you sir!!

I have been quite busy and distracted...Welcoming a new addition to my family (my brand new baby girl, now 3 months)....but expect me to be back to old "form".

Everyone's having kids these days. Congrats brother. Expectin' big things from you...

Vinny G
01-30-09, 1:39 pm
Thank you sir!!

congrats

GJN5002
01-30-09, 1:43 pm
hoomagar, I like your twist on the broscience. When I see it on other boards its used as an insult, as in you dont know what youre talking about, you have no proof. Now I wont know if someone is talking trash or commending me on advice haha.

Universal Rep
01-30-09, 1:47 pm
hoomagar, I like your twist on the broscience. When I see it on other boards its used as an insult, as in you dont know what youre talking about, you have no proof. Now I wont know if someone is talking trash or commending me on advice haha.

Personally, the way I've seen the term used, I never thought it was a compliment...

BiG in NYC 823
01-30-09, 1:48 pm
Everyone's having kids these days. Congrats brother. Expectin' big things from you...

Thanks!! She is wonderful...thus far....:)

Was that pun on purpose? ;)

Thanks for the kind words! I am only beginning... :)

congrats

Thank you as well Vinny!!!

Wasteland
02-04-09, 3:14 pm
Returning to the topic, I'm not convined the term itself has any consistent or substantial meaning. Rather, it's a term used by one to denounce another.

Universal Rep
02-06-09, 10:43 am
Added to the conversation: "Brofessor".

Hoomgar
02-06-09, 12:01 pm
Added to the conversation: "Brofessor".

I love it haha!

Mr. Dead
02-06-09, 12:06 pm
A lot of great and "brolific" remarks in here!!!

Big C
02-07-09, 10:26 pm
I just got accused of "broscience" in a thread on bb.com because I defended the House and quoted something out of his MD article.

I guess I should not take that as a compliment...

Hoomgar
02-09-09, 3:13 pm
I just got accused of "broscience" in a thread on bb.com because I defended the House and quoted something out of his MD article.

I guess I should not take that as a compliment...

Yea you should bro. Because it means ya got haters :) And you know what that means!

Hg

Wasteland
06-15-09, 1:35 pm

- Real science
- No science

That about right fellas?

An old thread, but I was reading something today which reminded me of this topic. How much real science is there in the supplement industry and how much of it is "faux" science (e.g., marketing)?

LegendKillerJosh
06-17-09, 11:47 pm
Didn't want to scroll the previous 7 pages, in case someone doesn't know:

Taken from urbandictionary.com:

1. Broscience

Broscience in action:

Wasteland
06-18-09, 10:36 am

What has more legitimacy? "Experience" or "Science"?

Or put another way, how valid is individual experience and how legitimate is science in the supplement industry?

Master Splint
06-21-09, 9:59 am
I got a couple "Brotards" in my crew...

Universal Rep
09-23-09, 10:29 am
I speak Brospeak. Who here is fluent? And I ain't talkin' about the dialect, Brahspeak either...

GJN5002
09-23-09, 10:32 am
Broscience via urbandictionary.com

Broscience in action:

that definition works for me haha

Wasteland
09-23-09, 10:47 am
A related thread on the shortcomings of real science: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=26929&highlight=science

Hoomgar
09-23-09, 10:53 am
I speak Brospeak. Who here is fluent? And I ain't talkin' about the dialect, Brahspeak either...

I've got the slang down pretty good :)

Universal Rep
09-23-09, 3:29 pm
I've got the slang down pretty good :)

bro or brah?

LittleMan55
09-23-09, 3:34 pm

I'm a BROfessional...

Hoomgar
09-23-09, 3:37 pm
bro or brah?

Bro, bro...

GJN5002
09-23-09, 3:39 pm
bro or brah?

bro for us east coast guys, brah for the west coasters

Wasteland
09-23-09, 3:41 pm

I thought bro was a positive use and brah a negative use?

GJN5002
09-23-09, 3:43 pm

we need some expert varification. we need to submit it to the good people at websters.

Little Z
09-23-09, 3:44 pm

i honestly think it depends on how its used.. i unfortunately have a buddy who uses 'brah' quite often.. and his meaning is positive..

but then.. you have ppl who use it, who clearly are trying to get on your last damn nerve and its obvious lol

LittleMan55
09-23-09, 3:44 pm
Bro, bro...

You sure bro?

English lessons are a no Bro around here Brosephs.

Wasteland
09-23-09, 3:46 pm
i honestly think it depends on how its used.. i unfortunately have a buddy who uses 'brah' quite often.. and his meaning is positive..

but then.. you have ppl who use it, who clearly are trying to get on your last damn nerve and its obvious lol

I've seen it used in the latter example Little Z.

LittleMan55
09-23-09, 3:57 pm
we need some expert varification. we need to submit it to the good people at websters.

I need to buy a new dictionary!

However, Bro is short for Bronze or Brother. Brah was not in the edition I have, it went from Bragg or something along those lines to Brahma.

My guess at best would be a dialect thing more so than a positive/negative use. It would be like the whole Tomato pronunciation situation.

Universal Rep
09-23-09, 3:58 pm
I need to buy a new dictionary!

However, Bro is short for Bronze or Brother. Brah was not in the edition I have, it went from Bragg or something along those lines to Brahma.

My guess at best would be a dialect thing more so than a positive/negative use. It would be like the whole Tomato pronunciation situation.

You say tomato, I say avocado.

LittleMan55
09-23-09, 4:01 pm
You say tomato, I say avocado.

e-Bro-neous on all counts!

Both are tasty though

Hoomgar
09-23-09, 4:30 pm
e-Bro-neous on all counts!

Both are tasty though

Wait, you used the word tasty while talking about Avocado?

Universal Rep
09-23-09, 4:31 pm

I think he meant Abrocado.

Hoomgar
09-23-09, 4:33 pm

Which is a color right? Perfect for an Aston Martin DB9 or even a Bentley. ;)

Universal Rep
09-23-09, 4:34 pm
Which is a color right? Perfect for an Aston Martin DB9 or even a Bentley. ;)

Let me check.... yes, perfect on an Aston.

Hoomgar
09-23-09, 4:34 pm
In my neck-o-da-woods brah and bro go hand in hand and are interchangeable. Brah is not some slang term for an insult. It's just more ghetto thats all.

Hg

Hoomgar
09-23-09, 4:35 pm
Let me check.... yes, perfect on an Aston.

You'd look good in one of them U. Big 20" gun hanging out the window...

Universal Rep
09-23-09, 4:37 pm
You'd look good in one of them U. Big 20" gun hanging out the window...

Why stop at my gunz? How about a leg too?

Hoomgar
09-23-09, 4:39 pm

Um, wrong mental image brah...

Ha ha!

LittleMan55
09-23-09, 4:40 pm

Grandmother is Mexican... Just runs in my blood I guess.

This

That sounds too uncomfortable for driving! But, if it floats your boat I say BRO for it.

Universal Rep
09-23-09, 4:42 pm
That sounds too uncomfortable for driving!

This.

Mr. Dead
09-23-09, 4:45 pm
Which is a color right? Perfect for a Vega, Pacer, or even a Pinto. ;)

Whut...???

Hoomgar
09-23-09, 4:46 pm
Whut...???

LOL! Oh man, all American classics :D

ghost
09-23-09, 5:47 pm
broscience.....

knowing i can call upon any of my fellow brothers for help at any time...

ask Rev.
He knows that if He calls me needing help from VEGAS, im on the next flight outta Detroit to go help him.

GJN5002
09-24-09, 10:18 am
I love how bro talk always gets out of hand and becomes its own language

LittleMan55
09-24-09, 10:41 am
LOL! Oh man, all American classics :D

All American like Hulk Hogan? He said brother a lot... Maybe he is the cause for BROscience.

Hoomgar
09-24-09, 11:22 am
All American like Hulk Hogan? He said brother a lot... Maybe he is the cause for BROscience.

Wouldn't surprise me any.

LittleMan55
09-24-09, 11:49 am
Wouldn't surprise me any.

NG is a big fan of his too... I think they are in cahoots!

Beowulf
06-10-10, 5:19 pm
This thread sure went awry.

Universal Rep
06-18-10, 10:48 am
This thread sure went awry.

Yeah it did... But back on topic. The supp industry thrives on broscience, true or false?

Mr. Dead
06-18-10, 11:52 am
Yeah it did... But back on topic. The supp industry thrives on broscience, true or false?

True and false... The positive and negatives cancel each other out... Real life results can sometimes be tainted merely by personal vendettas and missing pieces of data... Example: "I gained 15 lbs of muscle using Product X..." (Meanwhile the "bro" left out the fact that he was using "gear", as well...) But, because of things like that true honest results will always be suspect...

Ferinus
06-20-10, 12:58 am
When this guy (http://i45.tinypic.com/21do6ls.jpg) knows about training, nutrition, and supplementation.

FITGYM
06-20-10, 12:32 pm
I came across a site on broscience so check it out.....

Broscience in action:

Anecdotal evidence presented as fact by unqualified, yet confident individuals in the body building community.
Rampant within lifting forums and message boards, the information is usually based on hearsay with little to no scientific evidence to support the claims made by the individual.
Examples can be limited to a single frame of mind: It worked for me, so it works the same way for everyone!

There is actually a forum that is called broscience.com that caters to these claims.

WOW>