PDA

View Full Version : Question about Westside

B-rad89
01-29-09, 5:11 pm
Alright, so as I am finishing the 5/3/1 in about 2 weeks, I am a bit confused about Westside.

On Max-Effort days, what should my rep/set/weight% be at?

On the Dynamic-Effort days? (I have read many articles and am still unclear...)

Here is what I am going to do.

Mon - Max-Effort Bench
Tues - Max-Effort Dead Lift
Wed - Off
Thurs - Dynamic-Effort Bench
Fri - Dynamic-Effort Dead Lift
Sat/Sun - Off

Yes I searched.

B-rad89
01-30-09, 2:59 pm
Nobody...?

IRBS
01-30-09, 3:04 pm
Alright, so as I am finishing the 5/3/1 in about 2 weeks, I am a bit confused about Westside.

On Max-Effort days, what should my rep/set/weight% be at?

On the Dynamic-Effort days? (I have read many articles and am still unclear...)

Here is what I am going to do.

Mon - Max-Effort Bench
Tues - Max-Effort Dead Lift
Wed - Off
Thurs - Dynamic-Effort Bench
Fri - Dynamic-Effort Dead Lift
Sat/Sun - Off

Yes I searched.

Dont worry about percents as much on a traditional Westside split like you did with Wendler's 5/3/1. The basic rule of thumb is on Max Effort days work up doing triples until you cannot hit triples anymore, then move to singles.

The traditional Dynamic Effort has you doing 10 sets of 2 or 7 sets of 3 at 55-65%.

Accessory work is tailored to your weakness.

Here is the WestSide split I ran for 2 complete cycles, verbaitum when I first started Powerlifting, and I still use a modified version of this today:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll do my best to help out,
IRBS

B-rad89
01-30-09, 3:26 pm
Dont worry about percents as much on a traditional Westside split like you did with Wendler's 5/3/1. The basic rule of thumb is on Max Effort days work up doing triples until you cannot hit triples anymore, then move to singles.

The traditional Dynamic Effort has you doing 10 sets of 2 or 7 sets of 3 at 55-65%.

Accessory work is tailored to your weakness.

Here is the WestSide split I ran for 2 complete cycles, verbaitum when I first started Powerlifting, and I still use a modified version of this today:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll do my best to help out,
IRBS

Thanks man.

So whats with all the extra stuff? I had been told by some guys that you only need to do bench/squat/dead/millpress.

IRBS
01-30-09, 3:32 pm
Thanks man.

So whats with all the extra stuff? I had been told by some guys that you only need to do bench/squat/dead/millpress.

Its accessory work. If all you do is Squat/Bench/Deadlift you will not get very far. Accessory work is just as important as the primary lift.

brandonA
01-30-09, 3:33 pm
Thanks man.

You will find that you have weakness in each of the big three.....

Cant lock out a heavy bench, you need more tri work

Cant sit back enough or you knees come froward on squat, you need more hammy/glute work

You get stuck at your knees on deads, you need more lower back work, along with hammy/glute work....

You always need extra ab and lower back work, always....

the extra is to help push your main 3 up, sure you will get strong enough by just doing the big 3, but you will always fail at the same point unless you do something about it....

-B

B-rad89
01-30-09, 3:49 pm
Its accessory work. If all you do is Squat/Bench/Deadlift you will not get very far. Accessory work is just as important as the primary lift.

You will find that you have weakness in each of the big three.....

Cant lock out a heavy bench, you need more tri work

Cant sit back enough or you knees come froward on squat, you need more hammy/glute work

You get stuck at your knees on deads, you need more lower back work, along with hammy/glute work....

You always need extra ab and lower back work, always....

the extra is to help push your main 3 up, sure you will get strong enough by just doing the big 3, but you will always fail at the same point unless you do something about it....

-B

Thanks a lot guys. Time to start planning.

prowrestler
02-02-09, 1:16 am
if it helps, heres an example of say.. a box squat ME day.

warmups in stretching room for 15 mins

barx as many as you need, i call it a form up.
135x10 (better warm up)
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x2 (now i would switch to single reps casue i missed the triple)
405x1
415x1 (old pr lets say)
425x1 and a pr (felt good so i will attempt one last single for another PR)
435x1 or bail, hope for a good lift!

if my pr felt hard and was a real grinder, id stick at that weight and use that vs go for a new pr. normaly, you do 3-4 singles after the triples. ive had succes in simply building up to a pr and walk away and switch over to my accesory work. ive had succes doin 3-4 singles aswell.

find what works best for you. my best tip from experience and watchin others is DO NOT OVER DO your warm ups, dont burn out on the light weights, rep em for 3 even if ya coulda done 12. you dont lift a weight 12 times in a meet. train like you play.

prowrestler
02-02-09, 1:29 am
oh, and accesory work...

lower back, rack pulls cause my deadlfit lockout is my new weak point all of a sudden

hammies, glute ham raises this week

abs, standing= better translation into the squat

calf work for higher reps

Jay Hanisak
02-08-09, 7:56 am
I usually do triples up to a heavy single. If I want to get more volume in then I'll drop the weight and hit a few sets of 3-5. Accessory work is important, its how you get stronge on your weaker areas. A max bench is more less testing your max power and lets your body get used to handling heavy weight but the accessory work is where you get stronger.