PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractor

AFTazz06
02-04-09, 10:08 pm
Anybody here go to a Chiroprator on a regular basis? I've been really interested in going, i just feel if you can get your bones to remain flexible and healthy your Muscle gains will only improve. Another question to those that do go to a Chiroprator, about how much is each visit? is it just walk-ins or do you have to be on a health plan?

FLEA
02-04-09, 10:22 pm
I go on a regular basis and have for many years and to many different schools or styles of Chiro's out there. I happened upon one now that blends more of Chiro, Massage, ART, Pressure Point, electro therapy, etc etc etc. Sorry to say he's in Michigan because he rocks. Spends a lot of time working on me to get it right and make the problems go away. my back issues have never felt better!

I would recommend someone that does a blend of work rather then just straight Chiro. PM me & I can see if there is anyone in you area from his school of training when I see him next week.

Visits usually run around $35 - $45 per visit, insurance usually doesn't matter at all that I've seen.

Hope that helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

Good luck,
FLEA

MELTDOWN
02-04-09, 10:32 pm
Anybody here go to a Chiroprator on a regular basis? I've been really interested in going, i just feel if you can get your bones to remain flexible and healthy your Muscle gains will only improve. Another question to those that do go to a Chiroprator, about how much is each visit? is it just walk-ins or do you have to be on a health plan?

i can say that i made fun of chiro's and called them quacks most of my days. i developed severe neck pain last year, to the point of my regular doctor wanting to load me up on prescription pain pills. wife inc has seen a chiro for 11 years and bragged each time. i gave in and went for a prelim visit. he did a thorough evaluation and scheduled 8 visits. to coin a popular cereal, snap crackle pop. never felt better. second session he's telling me about impacts here, compressions there, etc (which were spot on with roadracing crashes over the years). gave me a good neck exercise to get to the hard to reach muscled effecting my aches and pains in that area. 8 weeks and i was good to go, with a 'call me if you need to' exit. no pressure to keep returning. he did brag on bodybuilder types and muscle mass to keep bones and joints in place. check your insurance for fine print on chiropractor visits as mine did not cover it. each visit was 35.00. that said, wife inc was in a car wreck and insurance covered 12 visits or 1000.00 whichever was first (keep in mind each inusrance carrier is different). lastly, apointments were recommended by my doc will see me or wife inc if we are "out of sorts". good luck and don't just go to the most advertsied guy. ask your doctors as they usually hear the good and the bad.
Carry On !!!

AFTazz06
02-04-09, 10:44 pm
$35.00 doesnt sound too bad for a visit, i just would like to go on a monthly basis I dont have insurance as of yet, unless the Doc finds something that needs more attention which could be, you never know. I Appreciate the input, FLEA and MELTDOWN, FLEA i just sent you a PM bro.

MELTDOWN
02-04-09, 11:03 pm
as FLEA posted, my doc mixes stuff up as well. he seems to do everything except accupuncture. his wife is a nutritionist so they are on the right page with food and supps. it's cool when he hooked up the electro pads to get to a stubborn area of my upper back, and it was like i was shrugging uncontrollably for 10 minutes. good stuff when used properly.

AFTazz06
02-04-09, 11:15 pm
as FLEA posted, my doc mixes stuff up as well. he seems to do everything except accupuncture. his wife is a nutritionist so they are on the right page with food and supps. it's cool when he hooked up the electro pads to get to a stubborn area of my upper back, and it was like i was shrugging uncontrollably for 10 minutes. good stuff when used properly.

That sounds like something i would like to try out as well. I will definetly be looking for someone who mixes it up.

Carpe Diem P.T
02-05-09, 3:42 am
i go to the guy based at the gym i work at. mates rates makes it $30 then private health insurance pays $15 of that. I go once a fortnight for a compressed nerve in my back. it will never be better, but he stops it from getting worse and makes my life livable.

mritter3
02-05-09, 7:38 am
i don't go on a regular basis but probally 3 times per year, gotta tell ya, always feel better after i've gone. I don't want to make it a monthly thing though, i hear once they suck you in your in for good.

xMATT182x
02-05-09, 7:52 am
I can attest to how valuable chiros are. I almost had my neck/back broken by a crowd surfer at a concert and if it wasn't for my doc, I wouldn't be lifting a single weight. My neck and shoulders still cause me some issues but I can continue lifting weights as normal and its awesome. I need to go in more and after I do go I always feel way stronger and it's almost like i can feel 100% of my muscle working. Its awesome really.

trainer89
02-05-09, 8:43 am
I used to go. It really helped me cause I have scoliosis. Its worth it in my opinion.

AFTazz06
02-05-09, 1:29 pm
I can attest to how valuable chiros are. I almost had my neck/back broken by a crowd surfer at a concert and if it wasn't for my doc, I wouldn't be lifting a single weight. My neck and shoulders still cause me some issues but I can continue lifting weights as normal and its awesome. I need to go in more and after I do go I always feel way stronger and it's almost like i can feel 100% of my muscle working. Its awesome really.

Yeah, thats what i've heard as well. Which is why i want to try it out, i think a good crackin of the bones is good once in a while.

Dedicated2Liftin
02-05-09, 3:04 pm
I'm gonna start off by saying that I'm a lil' bias against chiros based on my current training as a health care professional and a bad experience I had. Let me begin by saying that if you've never been I'd at least give it a try; however, having said that, be careful about certain chrio docs trying to run scams and feed you BS. To elucidate I was having problems with my shoulder a few years back and went to see one. He pretty much tried to convince me that everything in the world was wrong with me and that I needed to set up 6 months worth of visits and start on this BS food program (surprise, surprise...he was the one in bed with the company that supplied the food). Anyway, I'm using the above example as a testament to my own experience and don't mean to come off sounding overly cynical or insulting to chiro docs. As with any field, there are good professionals and there are shitty ones. In short, prior to your visit, just do some research and be weary of BS.

DEADn
02-05-09, 3:49 pm
AFTazz

I have been to the chiro 3 groups sessions in the last 4 years. First one ended upbeing that my spine was like an "S". I believe this came from deadlift with bad form. Toook 20 sessions to straighten it out.

second time was I felt a pop in my back after deadlifting a year later. Turned out one of my disk had turned 1/4 and I needed about 4 sessions for that.

I just finished my 3rd visit because while doing a behind the neck mil press, as an experiment execises, I felt something in my neck so I quick. After a few weaks I felt pain deep in my inner left shoulder down my arm to my fingers. They were numb. After a few sessions I got an MRI and I found I had a hernia in my neck. I did 20 sessions of decompression and now I feel normal again.

I say you should go on ocasion because it helps.

I have watched my form carefully since all of this.

DEADn

AFTazz06
02-05-09, 5:05 pm
I'm gonna start off by saying that I'm a lil' bias against chiros based on my current training as a health care professional and a bad experience I had. Let me begin by saying that if you've never been I'd at least give it a try; however, having said that, be careful about certain chrio docs trying to run scams and feed you BS. To elucidate I was having problems with my shoulder a few years back and went to see one. He pretty much tried to convince me that everything in the world was wrong with me and that I needed to set up 6 months worth of visits and start on this BS food program (surprise, surprise...he was the one in bed with the company that supplied the food). Anyway, I'm using the above example as a testament to my own experience and don't mean to come off sounding overly cynical or insulting to chiro docs. As with any field, there are good professionals and there are shitty ones. In short, prior to your visit, just do some research and be weary of BS.

Yeah man, ive seen like 2 or 3 Chiro commercials here and i think that those are the expensive ones. And like you said, alot of Docs just throw a bunch of BS to get you to come back again and again. So i'm just gonna take a weekend to look around town and go into all the chiro clinics here and see which one is best.

AFTazz06
02-05-09, 5:07 pm
AFTazz

I have been to the chiro 3 groups sessions in the last 4 years. First one ended upbeing that my spine was like an "S". I believe this came from deadlift with bad form. Toook 20 sessions to straighten it out.

second time was I felt a pop in my back after deadlifting a year later. Turned out one of my disk had turned 1/4 and I needed about 4 sessions for that.

I just finished my 3rd visit because while doing a behind the neck mil press, as an experiment execises, I felt something in my neck so I quick. After a few weaks I felt pain deep in my inner left shoulder down my arm to my fingers. They were numb. After a few sessions I got an MRI and I found I had a hernia in my neck. I did 20 sessions of decompression and now I feel normal again.

I say you should go on ocasion because it helps.

I have watched my form carefully since all of this.

DEADn

Yeah dude, i'll admit, i'm freakin terrified of excercies that require me to bend over and pick up weight, alot of people in my family have lower back problems and i dont want to fall into that list. Which is one of the reason why i want to go to a chiro, i also believe that a visit to the chiro will help performance in the gym as it's helped you out.

andrewT
02-07-09, 4:02 pm
I go to a chiropractor.

he is great, a really good friend I have known him since I was 4 because my mom would bring us kids when she went. I have a great relationship with him and he never charges us. Instead we pay him with my mom's famous chocolate cake and my nonno's garden veggies!

He fixes me up well, although he is gettin old, just had a stroke, and isn't as strong as he once was...

beware though, he even tells me that many chiros out there are scammers like that guy described a few pots up about a special diet! know your stuff before you go!

good luck

widdlewade44
02-09-09, 7:33 pm
I have had a lot of success with improved health because of my Chiropractor. Both her and her husband are in their practice and I have been using her for over 5 years now. The rates are about $50 an adjustment now; I do have medical coverage which means I just pay a $15 co-pay.

Even at $50 a pop (no pun intended) a Chiropractor is worth the money. There are different types of Chiropractic practice so it is important to find a doctor that works for you. As with most things, shop around; it is your body.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Freak
02-10-09, 12:15 pm
I've had success with a chiropractor. But as with all things, success depends on the quality of the practitioner.

spanish.iron
02-11-09, 3:31 am
I've had success with a chiropractor. But as with all things, success depends on the quality of the practitioner.

So true. Make sure they're reputable. Ask a lot of questions. I'm happy to say that I've got a great chiropractor. A lot of the people he works with are athletes, champion lifters, and bodybuilders, so I know I'm in good hands.

curt_james
09-11-09, 11:30 pm
I go when I'm in pain, but did hit the chiro yesterday simply for a maintenance visit. Swear buy the practice.