PDA

View Full Version : Are you lost?

Carpe Diem P.T
02-05-09, 3:52 am
It wasnt that long ago that i signed up to this forvm. I was so enthralled in wraths journey. I was amazed by the pros talking to the common folk. I wanted to be one of these monsters. I did my research and figured out how to get big. I put it in to practice and did pretty well. An extra 20kg to my frame and everyone noticed. I didnt do it as cleanly as i should have though.

So for the next few months i really wanted to get abs and in the process managed to lose that size again. too Much cardio, not enough grub. So i got to a point where i thought screw it, i ll try and get as lean as i can but not lose any more size.

And here I am. leaned out wishing i was a monster again.

Im Getting lost in the world of cutting and bulking. The pros of big arms with the lack of abs or quality abs but limited size and strength.

I guess competitive bodybuilders do it all the time. They bulk up, then cut. Its just a matter of finding that area where you dont go too far.

Does anyone else go through this circle of being unsure of what they really want? Knowing you want to be in the game, but constantly changing your goals?

sanga
02-05-09, 4:23 am
I`ve been on this merry go round many many times mate, to get big you need to eat so you lose your abs to a degree, to get ripped you have to be sure you get the calories/cardio right or you drop muscle.

I think its an individual thing, decide how you want to look and go for it, problem is to get big and be cut you have to get big first.

How many of you have looked in the mirror and thought to yourself that you look skinny but fat? I know I do at times and its very frustrating.

There is no correct answer to your situation mate, its just horses for courses, go with what you want, if you want to be huge then for the next 3-5+ years you are not going to have abs as such but once you have all the size you need then a very slow cut will reveal your abs and hold onto your size, its an art that even the pros get wrong on many occassions.

theharjmann
02-05-09, 4:33 am
True say guys....every month i look at myself in the mirror and i either think im getting a bit fat or im too skinny for wanting to bulk. But generally year round i keep the protein and calories generally high. I am able to keep quite strict in my diet, and hence dont eat too much shit (sugar/trans fats etc). My calories are from good complete sources (whey, chicken, beef, eggs, wholemeal toast, oats, basmati rice, bananas, orange juice, pork.) very rarely will i splurge, and when i do its every fortnight and its something like a burger from KFC or something.

So i guess i can say that ive been bulking for a year and a half, but have been bulking fairly clean.

I do admit though it does help to have a goal. I mean for personal satisfaction i always have had 4 abs showing, but to get the full 6/8 showing i just dont see the need to unless i am going to compete in a natural bb show. That is why i have considered competing greatly, but havent done any shows yet because i feel that i can gain quite a bit more size before i compete and can really challenge for 1st spot....as they say, 2nd place is just the first place loser.

Some say that you need to eat LOADS AND LOADS to put on muscle, but through careful assessment every month or so, and some tweaks to my diet, i am lucky to be able to find the balance of putting on muscle without a great deal of fat (no i am not saying its possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time).

I've only been training 1.5 years, but from the help i've received on this forum and from magazines, i am lucky to be able to get that "mind muscle connection" and a great deal of knowledge (not enough though) about this great sport.

So I guess all i can say now is thanks guys!

The MoFo
02-05-09, 6:48 am
"How many of you have looked in the mirror and thought to yourself that you look skinny but fat? I know I do at times and its very frustrating."

amen to that, thats the first thing i think everyday when i get out of bed, your definetly not the only one who thinks this man!
i'm definetly gonna conider that 3-5 years of bulking thing tho,people all think that they can bulk over winter and cut over summer,(i'm one of 'em) but it makes sence to bulk up to the body you want coz if your too small you just look skinny when you cut.. you can't tone muscle you don't have sota speak. that's defo somthing i'm gonna think about.

sodapop
02-05-09, 7:58 am
This is what I'm worried about. I've been skinny my whole life; always had a 6- or an 8-pack. Since I'm not that far into my bulk, I haven't gained much fat yet. But, I'm worried that when I do, I won't like it. I'm just gonna keep pushing to get bigger.

sanga
02-05-09, 9:01 am
Lol, look at the guy that stays lean all year round, there are loads in my gym, he looks virtually the same the following year, maybe 3lbs heavier, fuck that I`d give up and take up golf or fishing or spend the time on business, hell I`d be a millionaire by now.

Now look at the guy that bulks over the top and then cuts down, 10-15lbs heavier and much stronger, ok I`m generalising but you get the picture.

Look at the overweight powerlifter that decides to diet down and enter a bodybuilding show, picks up first place and wonders what all the fuss is about, its happened too many times in bodybuilding.

Decide what you want to do and then stick with it, ok you`ll have a gut for a few years but you will be bigger all over and then when you do diet down you have the size and the condition rather than the stringy look (been there, done that, lol)

Take a look at Ox, Wrath, Tiny, Vinny, do you think they had abs all through their career and not held some bodyfat? No way, these people know that to get big you have to eat big, above and beyond, its a chore, meal after meal, day after day, week in, week out, year after year, no easy way out, you either want it or you don`t, your choice.

If you are happy gaining 2-3lbs a year and having abs then carry on and good luck to you.

ghost
02-05-09, 9:12 am
fuck it. become a power builder. no need to worry about having abs or not having abs, get all the strength you can and still look good.!

sanga
02-05-09, 9:16 am
fuck it. become a power builder. no need to worry about having abs or not having abs, get all the strength you can and still look good.!

Lol, there you go! Can`t argue with that.

theharjmann
02-05-09, 9:19 am
Lol, there you go! Can`t argue with that.

yep that is the way forward!

RastaBoy
02-05-09, 9:25 am
I used to be alot like that. Stressing about wither to bulk or cut. Let me tell you that in my experiance: The grass is always gonna be greener on the other side man. When your massive you crave that vascularity and those cuts. And just the opposite when your lean. Its a bodybuilders nature it seems...Haha.

I've found by instead of setting goals like: I want to put on X lbs of muscle and remain at or below X bodyfat %. Try and set a goal of: I will better myself each and every time I set foot in the gym or down a meal.

Maybe don't bulk or cut. When I could never decide I would cycle my carbs, and eat ALOT of good quality proteins from whole food sources and powders. Throw some good quality fats in there. By cycling your carbs you can presumably lean down while holding onto or even gaining some size.

My advice, Don't make bodybuilding into such a teidous troubling thing. If you didn't love to do it you wouldn't be here, so just try to enjoy yourself man. Whats life if you don't enjoy it? Whats anything?

sanga
02-05-09, 6:31 pm
My advice, Don't make bodybuilding into such a teidous troubling thing. If you didn't love to do it you wouldn't be here, so just try to enjoy yourself man. Whats life if you don't enjoy it? Whats anything?

Excellent post mate! And very true.

xMATT182x
02-06-09, 3:13 am
everyone has their doubts about choices that tax your character. Hang in there and just keep getting further educated and bust your ass, it'll all pay off in the end. Be strong bro

Hoomgar
02-06-09, 4:52 pm
It wasnt that long ago that i signed up to this forvm. I was so enthralled in wraths journey. I was amazed by the pros talking to the common folk. I wanted to be one of these monsters. I did my research and figured out how to get big. I put it in to practice and did pretty well. An extra 20kg to my frame and everyone noticed. I didnt do it as cleanly as i should have though.

So for the next few months i really wanted to get abs and in the process managed to lose that size again. too Much cardio, not enough grub. So i got to a point where i thought screw it, i ll try and get as lean as i can but not lose any more size.

And here I am. leaned out wishing i was a monster again.

Im Getting lost in the world of cutting and bulking. The pros of big arms with the lack of abs or quality abs but limited size and strength.

I guess competitive bodybuilders do it all the time. They bulk up, then cut. Its just a matter of finding that area where you dont go too far.

Does anyone else go through this circle of being unsure of what they really want? Knowing you want to be in the game, but constantly changing your goals?

That was me to a T bro up until 3 months ago or so. I made up my mind that growth is going to happen first and getting cut can wait until much later. I'll know when it is time and by them I'll have studied a lot more on how to do it. So for now, it's on like Donkey Kong baby!

~Still growing

Hg

dannynb
02-06-09, 9:05 pm
I used to be like that, than I began to compete and I began to focus on growth....only time I'd ever think about dieting down is for a show. Now season time I'm show prepping, other than that it's about packing on size, but quality size. That's why I'm not doing any shows this year and focusing on developing my thickness a bit more...although I am itching to do a show I am listening to my those who are helping me and just gonna keep lifting, and eating.