PDA

View Full Version : 30 0n 30 0ff cardio

wesleyfootball36
02-05-09, 9:04 am
whatsup,
A bodybuilder back home was telling me about his cardio routine and wanted to know what you guys thought. Did it for the first time this morning before breakfast and it really got me working. He sets the treadmill at 10mph and goes 30 seconds on 30 seconds off for ten to 20 minutes, today i did it for 10 minutes then 2 minutes at 12mph then 1 minute at 14mph ( almost balls to the wall sprint), then 5 minute cool down at 3mph with incline set at 2. I know everybody reacts differently but in general how does that sound?? thanks in advance guys peace

strivin for more
02-05-09, 4:13 pm
personally, i go for longer incraments. like 7 or 8 for 2 minutes then a one minute walk at 3.5 or 4. then i usually go for a half hour to fourty five minutes depending.

sanga
02-05-09, 5:01 pm
In my experience high intensity cardio will eat up your hard earned muscle, I do low intensity cardio, i.e. walking on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes.

ANewBreed
02-05-09, 5:27 pm
In my experience high intensity cardio will eat up your hard earned muscle, I do low intensity cardio, i.e. walking on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes.

I second that. I really don't do above 6 mph. and i keep my sessions around 30 mins. Interval training is def good for cardio, but for the sake of preserving mass, I would do intervals ranging from 4-8.

Iron4Life
02-05-09, 5:32 pm
I think HIT cardio works great a digging into your fat stores, however if you go this route, you should be throwing down plenty of aminos/ pre and post cardio...to minimize muscle sparing..just my opinion though...worst you can do is give it a try and see how it works out

wesleyfootball36
02-05-09, 6:20 pm
thanks alot fellas good stuff, i should have also added in that i play rugby so while im trying to preserve as much muscle as possible i need to be in relatively good sprint shape as well. I sure dont wana lose any mass as im not in my cutting phase just yet so maybe i will lay off the high intensity a little and stick to fast walking with sprints

ANewBreed
02-05-09, 8:02 pm
Just one more thought...if you're looking to maintain your sprint speed, maybe you should perform a second regimen outside the gym. I'm thinking a treadmill can be a mighty dangerous place to lose your footing at 14 mph.

Joker-Roo
02-05-09, 8:04 pm
Just one more thought...if you're looking to maintain your sprint speed, maybe you should perform a second regimen outside the gym. I'm thinking a treadmill can be a mighty dangerous place to lose your footing at 14 mph.

+1

Andru

Feel The Power
02-05-09, 8:18 pm
I've done something like that but on the elliptical machine.. I will go fast... over 100 rpm for 30 seconds and go really slow to recover for 30 seconds. I will do it ten to 15 times. It seems to work well for me, but I am trying to loose weight. Its probably not the best cardio if your trying to hold onto alot of muscle, but I like to do it if I am in a hurry and want a good cardio workout to break a sweat.

wesleyfootball36
02-05-09, 9:36 pm
ha ya that 14mph felt a little shaky especially after heavy squats the day before, thanks for all the input it is much appreciated, a seperate sprint session outside the gym may be a better route

Lawnmower Man
02-06-09, 8:55 pm
I think HIT cardio works great a digging into your fat stores, however if you go this route, you should be throwing down plenty of aminos/ pre and post cardio...to minimize muscle sparing..just my opinion though...worst you can do is give it a try and see how it works out

i agree, i think HIT is great for leaning up and preserving muscle, the way I look at it is compare a sprinters physique to a runners. the sprinter is more muscular and defined than the runner. I think for me HIT helps me more than low intensity longer time cardio, but not everything works the same for everybody, different strokes for different folks.

mritter3
02-06-09, 8:59 pm
in my experience with this type of cardio, you will eat away at your muscle stores unless your taking a ton of aminos in, stick with low intensity cardio, then if your on a cut or something then go for the high intensity stuff.

GSant434
02-07-09, 1:56 pm
thanks alot fellas good stuff, i should have also added in that i play rugby so while im trying to preserve as much muscle as possible i need to be in relatively good sprint shape as well. I sure dont wana lose any mass as im not in my cutting phase just yet so maybe i will lay off the high intensity a little and stick to fast walking with sprints

I hear you on that brother, I play Rugby at school here at Rowan. I'm about to start a 6 week bulk so I plan on doing light long jogs for upper body and 20-30min low revs on the bike for leg days. Not the easiest sport to train for. You a forward or a back?

wesleyfootball36
02-07-09, 4:23 pm
i just started playing last semester so im not very familiar with all the names i just like the toughness of the sport!! They had me playing wing but the ball would hardly ever get out that far so they started moving me farther in im the guy they pitch the ball to lol dont know the name