PDA

View Full Version : Question on skullcrushers...

PERSISTANCE
02-06-09, 11:51 pm
How far apart do yall grip on skullcrushers? Also does the type of bar (curled or straight) really make a difference? I mean, i know my tris arent the strongest thing on my body but I suck at these so bad!

SQUAT or DIE!
02-06-09, 11:58 pm
How far apart do yall grip on skullcrushers? Also does the type of bar (curled or straight) really make a difference? I mean, i know my tris arent the strongest thing on my body but I suck at these so bad!

i use the index finger on the edge of the rough part on a straight bar and on an ez curl i use all the angles... i think it may work diff angles of the tri, but i usually do whatever is easiest on the wrist...

Pizzalamp
02-06-09, 11:59 pm
i like an ezcurl bar and i take a semi close grip on the 2 inner curves

PERSISTANCE
02-07-09, 12:04 am
See, I tried the inner curves of the EZ bar but it was pathetic the weight I could move. Maybe its not the grip and I just need to keep working at the til I get better..

SQUAT or DIE!
02-07-09, 12:07 am
See, I tried the inner curves of the EZ bar but it was pathetic the weight I could move. Maybe its not the grip and I just need to keep working at the til I get better..

dude i dont do very much on skullies, but i can do rope pushdowns with the stack and a 45 for reps..... its just not something i work at, much like ourself, so the msucle may not be used to it..

PERSISTANCE
02-07-09, 12:09 am
Yea.. But I like em though.. Im gonna try them on a straight bar next..

SQUAT or DIE!
02-07-09, 12:12 am
try all angles, all bars.. just find something that works..

i totally just thought of this- but im sure it exists somewhere..

if you can use a low cable pulley hook a rope attach or straight bar up to it and do a modified skullie.. while laying on a bench...

Cstlfx
02-07-09, 12:26 am
I like to use an EZ Curl bar, I put my hands on the inner angle and then the outer angle. I try to hit both the outer and inner part of my horseshoe.

J.Damico
02-07-09, 12:49 am
The weight doesn't matter. If it is tough and you feel it working your muscles and giving youa pump than its going to make you stronger and eventually you will increase your weight. No one starts off benching 315 and if they cant...they dont move to a smith machine, they work up to the weight, much like with any exercise

Big Wides
02-07-09, 10:07 am
try all angles, all bars.. just find something that works..

bingo

Elite
02-07-09, 10:19 am
See, I tried the inner curves of the EZ bar but it was pathetic the weight I could move.

Its easy to take this approach, but it wont get you as far as if you tackle and overcome it. You wanna be doing this move for the feel and the stress it puts on your triceps. Fair enough if a certain grip or style is affecting your joints, but dont pass it up if your getting good stimulus, lightweight or not. Progression, eventually after a while your numbers in this area will increase, along with the volume of your triceps.

EBO13
02-07-09, 11:25 am
i completely agree with THIRDEYE... i started doin skulls about 4 month ago and they are my favorite tri workout... and i started doin 30ibs on the EZbar for a few weeks just to get the form and movements down correct and the weight shot up after that... my heavy sets go up in the 80s and 90s which is a huge gain for me...(im waitin to load up a plate on each side and crush that one...haha) but hang in there bro and keep it up... they are a great workout just watch the form and the heavier weight will come...

mritter3
02-08-09, 10:15 am
i always use the straight bar, and as long as my grip are inside of shoulder width then i am cool with that, they can vary as long as there inside shoulder width.

Littlefry
02-08-09, 6:04 pm
Its easy to take this approach, but it wont get you as far as if you tackle and overcome it. You wanna be doing this move for the feel and the stress it puts on your triceps. Fair enough if a certain grip or style is affecting your joints, but dont pass it up if your getting good stimulus, lightweight or not. Progression, eventually after a while your numbers in this area will increase, along with the volume of your triceps.

Perfectly said

PERSISTANCE
02-09-09, 9:02 pm
Hey thanks a lot for the words fellas. Greatly appreciated!

clarko
02-09-09, 11:54 pm
I like to use an EZ Curl bar, I put my hands on the inner angle and then the outer angle. I try to hit both the outer and inner part of my horseshoe.

straight hurts my joints more, I use an EZ curl and do like you for awhile, then switch it up and gripthe outer part.

Woolsey
02-23-09, 5:21 pm
Just like everyone else is saying. Switch about between different grips n bars etc n see what works for you. Everyone is different

BubbyLight
02-24-09, 8:27 am
i like using the short straight bar. not alot of "teeter tottering." but i can say i love using both angles on the EX curl bar. buuuuttt my gym replaced theirs and not instead of being smooth...it has spikes so it hurts to even touch...i had to get the gloves out that day...lol

Firefist
02-24-09, 8:50 am

yup yup. "what works is what your not doing."

if you are weak with a certain grip, say close ez bar, work with it and slowly work up the weight, and i can garuntee you that if you switch back to a more favorable grip, your gonna be putting up more weight.