PDA

View Full Version : Animal Training Routine #5

TylerC
02-11-07, 9:55 pm
Ok I'm going to switch my routine for about two weeks so I figure I would try Animal Routine #5, as I heard it was a good strenght and mass routine. I'm going to do tuesday workout tomorrow tho because I did squats last friday, and I was wondering, is it unorthodoxed (spell?) to do all the pulldowns on tuesdays workout and do all the rowing on thursday?

karmazon
02-11-07, 10:01 pm
is it unorthodoxed (spell?) to do all the pulldowns on tuesdays workout and do all the rowing on thursday?

Although many people split the back width and back thickness workouts, it would still be considered quite unorthodox. But just because it's quite unusual doesn't mean it won't be effective.

MELTDOWN
02-11-07, 10:04 pm
what #5 routine ya looking at????...no puldowns on tuesday from the #5 from animal.....

Tuesday: Back/Calves

• Deadlifts
• Shrugs
• Toe Raises (5 sets of 12 reps)

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Biceps

• Behind-The-Neck Pulldowns
• Front Lat Pulldowns
• Seated Rows
• Bicep Curls (Straight Bar)
• Preacher Curls
• Alternate Seated Dumbbell Curls
• Abs

TylerC
02-11-07, 10:07 pm
I was wanting to make thursday routine shorter, so my question was can I do pulldowns on tuesday with deadlifts, save the rowing (i'm goin to add bent over and maybe T-bar) for thursday? Because 5 sets on everything, without supersetting, would take a while for thusday I would think.

MELTDOWN
02-11-07, 10:14 pm
ah ah...clarification...good man / gal...i think i would make the time for #5 as is...the only productive back split i have ever done was upper back and lower back on different days. but play with it a try different things. your body will let you know.

Hercules
02-12-07, 9:18 am
I've done it and it works. I modified it slightly (added military presses and weighted pull-ups). Everyone is different - do what works for you.

widdlewade44
02-12-07, 10:01 pm
I've started this routine and have never previously split both lower and upper back exercises into two different w/o's and days. It is awesome! I was able to pull more on both workouts because I had more strength and focus. Being able to lift more is even more invigorating and allows you to get through the plateaus and any limitations. My joints and shoulders were not as fatigued as in the past and I am sure these changes will help me to maximize my experience with TR #5.

Give the changes a chance.

More to follow...Peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Enforcer25
02-12-07, 10:07 pm
I've been using #5 for the past three weeks, this is my last week on it before I go to another routine. I've been very happy with the results. I've posted my log in my signature. I would keep it as is, I think you'll be happy with the results.

ironshaolin
03-27-07, 2:51 pm
Ok, I used the search and couldn't find anything on this, so if there's already a thread delete me and send me in the right direction. On Animal Training routine #5, I notice there is no specific delt training. They say how the effectiveness lies in the combination of moves, but won't your delts start lagging if you don't train them? I actually kinda like it, as for me I only have 4 days to workout so the split is perfect. Also, I'm a martial artist and I always find that my delts are sorta overtrained. Either its hard to do punches because my delts are rocked from lifting, or my workout is hard from all the punches I just did. What do you guys think of this routine?

born0withno0soul
03-27-07, 3:13 pm
the routines are posted so you can try them all and see what works for you. if it works for you by all means use it. they are all great routines. one may work for you, but not me. trial and error

gnoll5
03-27-07, 4:54 pm
i have been using this routine for about 4 weeks now and am enjoying it. its a great routine to go to if your previous routine is/was stale. i hear you about the delts, and i had incorporated them into the second day in the routine. this works well, and since i have gone one step furthur and decided to move the deads and shrugs and devote that day to delts only, and to make this a 5 day routine and train arms separately as well, still following the set/rep pattern as outlined. as has been stated these routines offer a great guideline, and they can be tweaked to fit your needs accordingly.

cyingling
05-28-08, 3:53 pm
why no shoulders??

i'm thinking squeezing in some standing military presses maybe on day two, after deads, before shrugs??

mfl5027
05-28-08, 7:29 pm
Have you tried the routine yet? Benching can heavily involve your shoulders and the routines are designed the way they are for a reason. Before you add anything I'd recommend trying it as is first. If after, say, 3 weeks you notice something lagging go ahead and tweak it but at least have some faith in it first.

cyingling
05-28-08, 8:25 pm
oh I totally agree.. And I'm about to be on my 3rd week.. Funny it took me 2 and a half weeks to notice.. I'm all for sticking it out..

So far I'm loving it..

I have a journey logged..

J-Dawg
05-28-08, 8:56 pm
why no shoulders??

i'm thinking squeezing in some standing military presses maybe on day two, after deads, before shrugs??

You can definitely add some in. If I remember correctly, the fella who designed this routine didn't want to hit his shoulders directly as he was taking a break from direct shoulder work. Tailor it for your own taste.

never.satisfied
05-29-08, 4:46 am
well i saw it yesterday..pretty easy and solid routine man..but i also noticed no shoulders out there..i moved to routine No.10
i say u can add shoulders to that man..side laterals,front raises,military..see what works for u..but 1st of all try doing what it says exactly and watch urself
dont forget that u're also hittin shoulders with other muslce groups like pullups and chest wkouts..cheers man

cyingling
05-29-08, 8:21 am
You can definitely add some in. If I remember correctly, the fella who designed this routine didn't want to hit his shoulders directly as he was taking a break from direct shoulder work. Tailor it for your own taste.

gotcha.. i'm going to finish it up for 6 weeks and see.. finishing up week 2 now.. thanks..

P-Ram
06-16-08, 8:58 pm
Couple questions regarding training routine #5 (http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=48&section=training%0A) hopefully you guys can help me out.

First question is where should I throw in some shoulder moves because they're M.I.A. at the moment...I'm thinking doing some Military's or Arnold's on deadlift/shrugs day.

Second question is how long should I be doing this routine before I switch it up again? I'm thinking four weeks...any thoughts?

Did legs today, they're feeling tight ATM so It looks like it's working...but I'll let you fellas know tomorrow. I was kind of skeptical about this routine at first, but the 5th set to-failure is killer.

Hercules
06-16-08, 10:46 pm
#5 is an extremely effective program. You could go 6 weeks or so before you'd need some sort of change. I altered the schedule a bit to fit my needs, too. You did exactly what I did - shoulders on dead day. It's tough to fit in, even when the day looks rather short. I ended up doing shoulders whenever I could. I got good results from this when I did it. Enjoy...

P-Ram
06-16-08, 11:34 pm
Thanks, Herc. Hopefully I'll get killer results.

Macrobolic
06-23-08, 6:17 pm
First question is where should I throw in some shoulder moves because they're M.I.A. at the moment...I'm thinking doing some Military's or Arnold's on deadlift/shrugs day.

Second question is how long should I be doing this routine before I switch it up again? I'm thinking four weeks...any thoughts?

Did legs today, they're feeling tight ATM so It looks like it's working...but I'll let you fellas know tomorrow. I was kind of skeptical about this routine at first, but the 5th set to-failure is killer.

I took a look at the training program, and I don't understand the reasoning of doing back twice in a week. Now if you split up the lats and the midback, this would make sense, but this routine just looks like overkill to me. Also, you do legs on Monday, and then deads and Tuesday, thereby re-working your legs the next day. This routine needs some revision IMO.

Anyways, to answer your questions:

1- I would put shoulders in on Tuesday. There doesn't seem to be as much work done on Tuesday so it would be the best day IMO.

2- Do the routine for 4-6 weeks. This way you can guage progress and see if you are responding. Keep in mind, I think the routine needs some major revision.

Syringemouth
06-24-08, 12:15 pm
#5 is an extremely effective program. You could go 6 weeks or so before you'd need some sort of change. I altered the schedule a bit to fit my needs, too. You did exactly what I did - shoulders on dead day. It's tough to fit in, even when the day looks rather short. I ended up doing shoulders whenever I could. I got good results from this when I did it. Enjoy...

I beg to differ. Six weeks of the same training will cause one thing, plateau. You should be changing your reps and sets EVERY WEEK.

An example that is HIGHLY effective: One week 4-6 rep range 8 TOTAL SETS for large muscle groups and 5-6 sets for smaller groups. Week two rep ranges from 7-14 with the last set in each movement being a drop set. You would start out with a TOTAL of 3 movements per muscle group, the first movement would be 7-9 reps, the second would be 10-13 reps, and the last movement would be 14-17 reps, then drop the weigh by 20% and rest no longer than 20 sec. THIS IS WHERE YOU GROW. Week three would be supersets and drop sets. Week four you would start all over again. Try it and see what happens.

You should be resting no more than 60 sec. during week one and no more than 45 sec. weeks 2-3. DO NOT lock out on any exercise or go too deep with the negative, as to keep consistant tension on the working muscle. Keep your ego at the door as you need to execute PERFECT form in order of this to work. The weight you normally use if done correctly will drastically reduced.

Macrobolic
06-24-08, 2:22 pm
I beg to differ. Six weeks of the same training will cause one thing, plateau. You should be changing your reps and sets EVERY WEEK.

Your body can adapt to the same training stimulus, but it does not adapt in 1-2 weeks. It will actually take several weeks to adapt.

However, your opinion of changing reps and set numbers every week does have merit.

There is a program called P/RR/S in which you focus on different rep ranges, sets, exercises, etc. within 3 different rotations. For example:

Week 1: basic compound exercises for 4-6 reps
Week 2: compound and singlejoint exercises for 6-8, 8-12, and 13-15 reps
Week 3: shock week using various training protocols and instensity amplifiers (forced reps, supersets, compound sets, etc).

For hypertrophy, rest periods inbetween sets should be roughly 30-90 seconds, for strength/power, they should be 2-5 minutes. It really depends on the goal of the individual at that specific time.

pdh63
02-02-10, 4:47 pm
I was just wondering if anybody has tried routine #5 in the training section, and if you saw good results with it?

C.Coronato
02-02-10, 5:14 pm
Its all about personal preference. Find what works for you my man. I say just give it a shot and see how you like it.

Goliathus
02-02-10, 5:16 pm
you know
How does someone really know what is working for them and what isnt?

I mean having been around a while, most of us know. But a lot of new kids dont know themselves well enough to know what to do.

C.Coronato
02-02-10, 5:19 pm
you know
How does someone really know what is working for them and what isnt?

I mean having been around a while, most of us know. But a lot of new kids dont know themselves well enough to know what to do.

Agreed. Thats why he should try the workout and see if he likes it .. its better than someone else saying do this, its the ONLY way ..

Everyone trains different .. and everyone grows different.

Goliathus
02-02-10, 5:56 pm
I think most any routine will for for someone...for some period of time
And routine #5 may work for you...but jumping into some preset routine might be bad if youve not had any real experience with anything.

It might be best to do something simple...build some strength before you start into an advanced routine.

BionicMasterPiece
02-02-10, 7:50 pm
I was just wondering if anybody has tried routine #5 in the training section, and if you saw good results with it?

Aslong as a program has presses,squats,deads that shit will work.

pdh63
02-03-10, 12:25 am
Alright thanks guys, I've been lifting for about 6 years but i haven't started seriously lifting till this past year. I just got done doing a 2 reps 15 sets program and i gained alot of strength that way, and now i'm looking for a workout that will let me keep my strength but add some size as well. I'm here to learn all i can from you veteran lifters so if you guys have any other suggestions that would be great. Thanks

In Flames
02-03-10, 7:52 am
I don't like that routine because on Monday you're doing Squats then on Tuesday you're doing Deadlifts. I'd alternate some of those days around. I'd probably do Thursdays Back/Bicep day on Tuesday and do the Deadlift day which is Tuesday on Thursday.

zenkarman
06-18-10, 3:47 am
Hello buddies,

I have not more knowledge about the animal training. I have one little confusion, how long does it take to train a service animal?

thanks !!

Cellardweller
06-26-10, 5:09 pm
Started #5 today and it rocked. Loved going heavy. And I loved that last set to failure. Legs are fried. Rest days are going to be off for me due to my work schedule, but I can't wait to rip through the first week.

Cascade
03-26-11, 1:44 am
Looks great. Honestly I could care less about delts. This was designed this way for a reason, so I'll try it. If your interested in following this, check the link on the bottom.

Also, some were complaining about how close Legs are with Deads. You could do rack pulls to get your legs out of it.

Cascade
03-30-11, 10:50 am
So sore. Did the routine as its laid out. This rest day is more than welcome. Didn't have too much of a problem doing deads the day after squats, but I can barely move. The good thing is that my upper body is ready to rock this Thu/Fri.

_Bob_
10-19-11, 5:12 pm
This is my first week on this routine and am on my off day, went for a swim and feel great.

For those of you wondering about the lack of delts and where to add some, I did side raises and bumbbell shoulder pushes right after the shrugs and before the toe-raises. Kept the same 8-6-4-2-50% of first till failure set count and it works nicely, traps and delts feel nice and worked.

Good routine guys. Get on it, go hard and you will like it as well.

Cellardweller
05-14-12, 5:07 pm
Starting this one up again this coming weekend.