PDA

View Full Version : Discipline or Obsession

freak-a-boo!!
02-08-09, 8:11 am
Brothers, as I write this, I am disappointed. People look upon me as being too “obsessed” with bodybuilding. What we see as discipline and dedication required to achieve a certain outcome, people see the same thing as an obsession. Are we really being obsessed or is this merely a different perspective that the outside world has of us. People doing hard work in any other area of life get instant appreciation but when it comes to BB all we get is mockery. Do you guys face the same negativity in your lives and how do you tackle it. Your views and opinions would be greatly appreciated

BB
02-09-09, 3:53 pm
I know how you feel i have heard from my parents that you are getting to big your clothes wont fit etc.... they are jsut in a different mind set i use to try and make my point but you can never win that fight haha i jsut nod my head now. but i believe arnold sadi it best in Pumping Iron...."people look at me and wonder why i do this they cant understadn why they think its weird, but to me trying to go a quarter mile in 3 seconds is weird, once you understand it, it is jsut another thing." not word for word but you get the idea, people tend to fear what they dont know and there are few who trulyunderstadn what we do and why we do it.

hardworkE
02-09-09, 3:59 pm
I hear you on this, people don't understand why so much time is devoted to being in the gym/planning meals/eating/etc. It's people that don't know anything about the sport that hand out these criticisms. Bringing out that Arnold quote is great, it also shows that everyone who is in this game will receive that type of criticism. Everyone who does this has their own reasons. If someone can't accept why you are doing this then you just have to state your piece and move on. Almost always the people who talk down on it are the ones that wouldn't be able to hack it, they don't have the dedication and determination. That's why a good smile and short answer are the best defense to those questions. As long as you know why you're doing it and love it, what they think doesn't matter.

Aggression
02-09-09, 4:04 pm
I hear you on this, people don't understand why so much time is devoted to being in the gym/planning meals/eating/etc. It's people that don't know anything about the sport that hand out these criticisms. Bringing out that Arnold quote is great, it also shows that everyone who is in this game will receive that type of criticism. Everyone who does this has their own reasons. If someone can't accept why you are doing this then you just have to state your piece and move on. Almost always the people who talk down on it are the ones that wouldn't be able to hack it, they don't have the dedication and determination. That's why a good smile and short answer are the best defense to those questions. As long as you know why you're doing it and love it, what they think doesn't matter.

Well said. i couldn't have said it any better.

Cellerator65
02-09-09, 8:43 pm
if i wasnt lifting, i'd probably be in alot of trouble

freak-a-boo!!
02-10-09, 2:55 am
This is probably the toughest time of my life. It is almost like the entire world against me. My world actually came crashing down when my own parents started the whole criticism thing. I wouldn't have given a damn if any one else would have commented, but when your own people start doing this you get crushed. I am gathering every ounce of my strength to fight off this negativity. I hope I find the courage to move on. And I know my Animal brothers will be with me.

GoodGerman
02-10-09, 3:04 am
answer your parents: shall i rather take drugs, or hang around the streets?
bb and doin bodysports are the best alternatives to drugs, inactivity and all those things parents are afraid of. ive done a lot shit in my life, done crime, took drugs, but since i m doin sports im able to control my life like never before

GoodGerman
02-10-09, 3:08 am
...and, well : definitive diszipline

BB
02-10-09, 6:14 am
Just stick with it and you will see results, that is what keeps me motivated

hardworkE
02-10-09, 9:59 am
answer your parents: shall i rather take drugs, or hang around the streets?
bb and doin bodysports are the best alternatives to drugs, inactivity and all those things parents are afraid of. ive done a lot shit in my life, done crime, took drugs, but since i m doin sports im able to control my life like never before

Seriously, if you're parents can't look at it from this perspective than they will never understand. If you're serious about this, you will definitely pass on a lot of drugs and alcohol. Just tell them how it is and how you want their support in whatever you do man. If not, the forvm is a great place to find people who are like-minded. Good luck to you.

Iron4Life
02-10-09, 10:10 am
To the OP....people fear what they don't understand... unless your in this sport/lifestyle..you will never "truly" get it... and listen bro..its better to be obsessed with something that promotes self improvement than to be obsessed with what the rest of society is...i.e. drugs, partying, the rock-star lifestyle, clubs, the latest fashion trends, the latest TV reality series, etc....at least bodybuilding is a pure obsession..one that creates a sense of pride, honor and respect.. just my take on it though

GoodGerman
02-10-09, 3:14 pm
at least bodybuilding is a pure obsession..one that creates a sense of pride, honor and respect..

thats it!

additionaly its a perfect method for everyone to compensate stress problems you got in mind. i love pumpin the iron if im totally fucked up of anything, scream, slap yourself, get aggresiv, lift heavy weights - absolutely animalistic !

"....You've dedicated your entire life to building up your body through hard work, pain, hunger & desire. Every single day requires sacrifice. This is our world brothers... This is hardcore livin'......"

very motivatin sentense for me, i love it

IRBS
02-10-09, 3:22 pm
"Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

DANO
02-10-09, 3:27 pm
People said Bruce Lee was obsessed, Arnold was obsessed, if you are in control it is a dedication. if you let it control you, then obsession. Work for yourself, don't let the "other guy" jade you.

xMATT182x
02-12-09, 2:09 am
Brothers, as I write this, I am disappointed. People look upon me as being too “obsessed” with bodybuilding. What we see as discipline and dedication required to achieve a certain outcome, people see the same thing as an obsession. Are we really being obsessed or is this merely a different perspective that the outside world has of us. People doing hard work in any other area of life get instant appreciation but when it comes to BB all we get is mockery. Do you guys face the same negativity in your lives and how do you tackle it. Your views and opinions would be greatly appreciated

I've encountered the same issue many times since I became devoted to bettering myself. I recently spoke to some guys that gave me some valuable insight to the life we choose to lead. I asked the same question and it comes down to the matter of perception and priority in my opinion. There is a balance that must be found in our lives in order to be truly happy. We must do what makes us happy but not shut out people in our lives. I too go to bed thinking of the workout to come and love the iron. I also have realized that if you cannot find the balance in life, that bed you dream in will always be empty with no one to call your own. You must find your balance, everyone's is different, good luck and be safe.

xMATT182x
02-12-09, 2:11 am
This is probably the toughest time of my life. It is almost like the entire world against me. My world actually came crashing down when my own parents started the whole criticism thing. I wouldn't have given a damn if any one else would have commented, but when your own people start doing this you get crushed. I am gathering every ounce of my strength to fight off this negativity. I hope I find the courage to move on. And I know my Animal brothers will be with me.

Remember also man that your among friends here. We all deal with these situations and bullshit. Stay strong bro.

Jay Hanisak
02-14-09, 8:26 am
Obsessed is a word the lazy and weak use to describe the DEDICATED. Its not because they are rude or don't like what we do, they simply just don't understand. Those who don't understand never will. I myself don't try to explain anymore. We are a different breed, part of something that only the "Animal World" can understand. Don't take offense to these people, its not their fault, it just isn't them. Keep doing what you do and remember you're doing it for yourself and your training partners and lifting family.

ricohitman
03-11-09, 11:57 am
Everyday life is full of those people. It sucks, but it will only make you stronger. I look at these people as motivators to help me crush iron even harder. Everyday it makes me even more intense.