PDA

View Full Version : Punching Power??

cstmgp
02-09-09, 10:31 pm
What are the best core excercises for increasing punching strength?? I remember reading someones suggestions here a while back, but I can't seem to find it.
Shaun

PopeJohnPwn
02-10-09, 10:50 am
Punching strength comes from several places, mainly the hips, core, and shoulder. So, explosive movements involving the hips, such as power cleans, or kettlebell swings, would do the trick for hips. For core--I'd do planks, some weighted crunch/leg lift work, glute-ham raises, etc. etc. There is also an exercise involving sticking one end of a barbell in a corner and pushing the other end from side to side over your head and back down to your shoulders...so, basically a military press that switches sides laterally. These should give you some good basic punching power, but if you want to get better at punching, do a lot of that, too.

EBO13
02-10-09, 1:19 pm
watch the old Rocky movies...do the workouts he does

mritter3
02-10-09, 6:31 pm
get a heavy bag and go to work, also some good core exercises, weighed sit ups, and hanging knee raises and you'll be set.

shizz702
02-10-09, 6:39 pm
Any of the olympic lifts and their variations would be good such as clean and jerks, snatches, power cleans, one arm db snatches for increased explosion and overall power.

Also, can't go wrong with basic strength training with the squat, bench press, standing press, deadlift and rowing.

prowrestler
02-10-09, 7:17 pm
punching power = force

the more pounds X the speed = how hard your punch is.

get heavier, get faster, create more tourque.

your punch starts from the ground up, fighters are told to be ware of a fighter with huge traps, why? the dudes probably got a good deadlift and other explosive moves.

work on twisting, ROM and the speed of your punch.

band punching like lesnar does are great.

big bear
02-10-09, 7:54 pm
shadow box with weights

shizz702
02-10-09, 7:56 pm
fighters are told to be ware of a fighter with huge traps

lol makes sense

just so happens you have huge traps too eh?

prowrestler
02-10-09, 8:14 pm
lol makes sense

just so happens you have huge traps too eh?

beware of me!

not gonna lie lol

Cstlfx
02-10-09, 9:22 pm
band punching like lesnar does are great.

Thats what I was going to suggest other than explosive lifts. Bands are great.

Sho
02-10-09, 11:04 pm
Practice Practice Practice!!

Jabs, hooks, straights, uppercuts, overhands... you name it... the more u practice the faster and stronger they will be.

prowrestler
02-10-09, 11:53 pm
Thats what I was going to suggest other than explosive lifts. Bands are great.

ive tried them out, light walmart bought bands extra stretched and doubled lol

feel really good for developing punch power so i can only imagine hwat it'd be like once u can punch hard with a medium/strong band!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cstlfx
02-11-09, 12:07 am
ive tried them out, light walmart bought bands extra stretched and doubled lol

feel really good for developing punch power so i can only imagine hwat it'd be like once u can punch hard with a medium/strong band!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, Monster Mega or #6 bands for punching. If anyone can do that, I'd be severely impressed.

prowrestler
02-11-09, 12:08 am
Haha, Monster Mega or #6 bands for punching. If anyone can do that, I'd be severely impressed.

choked count? LOL

id love to see brock lesnar useing one, he could probably do it and i wouldnt be shoked

Cstlfx
02-11-09, 2:43 pm
choked count? LOL

id love to see brock lesnar useing one, he could probably do it and i wouldnt be shoked

He could do it, I think, but it would be very slow at the end. I could stand there and actually take a punch from Lesner then!!

prowrestler
02-11-09, 2:49 pm
He could do it, I think, but it would be very slow at the end. I could stand there and actually take a punch from Lesner then!!

stand an inch to close and ull die though LOL

im gonna be useing these bands for my fighters im training. im deffinatly gonna report the results back

Cstlfx
02-11-09, 3:46 pm
If they work for squat, bench, and deadlifts, they have to work for punching.

J Wong
02-11-09, 10:15 pm
Don't forget there is technique to punching properly too. Hence the reason why fighters don't only weight train.

cstmgp
02-11-09, 10:45 pm
Yes, I've been practicing muai thai for a year, I am pretty confident in my punching form. My master/instructor says I have good power, I would just really like to build my core for more force.
The bands sound like a good option.
Shaun

theharjmann
02-12-09, 5:33 am
What are the best core excercises for increasing punching strength?? I remember reading someones suggestions here a while back, but I can't seem to find it.
Shaun

TECHNIQUE.....

master of disaster
02-12-09, 7:15 am
well im in boxing myself and theres 2 things i did for improving myy punching and i got alot of stronger and faster by doing this, I hit the heavy bag and shadow boxed with3-5lb weights, thats all i did and it improved alot. also you need to train your abs, back shoulder and definetly legs. go to youtube and search fight science and try and find the boxing part and it tells you all about where power from punches come from and learning this might make you have a better undertsanding of where power comes from. good luck brother

Dead(Lift)
02-16-09, 4:57 pm
Get good form punching first. Then any explosives lift, clean and jerk, ect,

Work your rotational strength alot, Full Contact Twists are awesome, Look them up on bodybuilding.com

And work the heavybag, it's better than shadowboxing with weights
And don't forget your speed bag

Or when in doubt, train however Bruce Lee trained

B-rad89
02-16-09, 5:15 pm
Punching power comes from technique.

Trent_D
02-16-09, 8:10 pm
I've got a good bit of experience in the punching arts... Or at least I like to think that I do. (Can always get better) But like some have been saying technique is crucial. Why do you think 140 Thai guys will walk all over some of our best heavy weights. Cause they drill the shit literally in their sleep. But I usually do things like sledge hammer to a large tire... flip the tire... Drag the tire... Push the tire... Pull the tire... Puke... Jump on the tire while shadow boxing. Repeat

Interesting to hear that a muay thai practitioner wants to make his punch more powerful, not that it's unheard of or anything, just interesting. I've always been a bigger fan of the kicking game. I like to pick people away with thigh shots, then end it with either a shot to the ribs/head or end it in the clinch.

cstmgp
02-16-09, 9:10 pm
Yeah, I prefer the kicking as well, both in competition and in the street (never used it, just thinking), I mean, who's really expecting a kick to the head!!
Punching is simply my weaker point, so I would like to improve on it.
Shaun

Trent_D
02-16-09, 9:48 pm
Kick a guy in the thigh and watch their eyes light up in sheer horror. Priceless. Not much of a fight if you start it off limping... or not walking completely.