PDA

View Full Version : Lost cause ?

EIGHTY-TWO
02-11-09, 1:16 am
Has your continued efforts inspired anyone to get off the couch and join you in the gym ? I have been doing this for almost four years and everyone thinks what i am doing is cool but don't want to get involved. My brother passed away from cancer last year and I can't convince ANYONE that smoking is dangerous. I get a pat on the back as everyone around me continues to sit on the couch and watch "reality TV" with a coke and a bag of chips. Is this a lost cause to want to share my love ?

xMATT182x
02-11-09, 2:07 am
Has your continued efforts inspired anyone to get off the couch and join you in the gym ? I have been doing this for almost four years and everyone thinks what i am doing is cool but don't want to get involved. My brother passed away from cancer last year and I can't convince ANYONE that smoking is dangerous. I get a pat on the back as everyone around me continues to sit on the couch and watch "reality TV" with a coke and a bag of chips. Is this a lost cause to want to share my love ?

I feel as you do man, just hang in there and keep working hard. I know it's frustrating to not get through to anyone. Sometimes thats just how people are but thats what sets you apart from the rest of the world. You have heart, goals and determination. Make the most of your day everyday and keep it up man, theres a lot more like you out there then you know.

C.Coronato
02-11-09, 10:00 am
What i have found is that people will do what they want to do. If you try to explain to people that smoking is bad and they should quit, the only way they will quit is if they want to quit. I have gone thru this with friends and family much worse than smoking. I have learned to become more of an inspiration. If people ask about working out or diet i gladly enlighten them, and tell them to join me one day at the gym. If they accept then awesome, if not, then thats all you can do. Spread the knowledge and inspire, im sure you will at least get thru to a few people.

xMATT182x
02-12-09, 1:12 am
What i have found is that people will do what they want to do. If you try to explain to people that smoking is bad and they should quit, the only way they will quit is if they want to quit. I have gone thru this with friends and family much worse than smoking. I have learned to become more of an inspiration. If people ask about working out or diet i gladly enlighten them, and tell them to join me one day at the gym. If they accept then awesome, if not, then thats all you can do. Spread the knowledge and inspire, im sure you will at least get thru to a few people.

Well said man, theres always someone who will take what you say to heart and want to improve themselves.

BB
02-12-09, 1:51 am

I have been telling my parents to quit smoking for years but it just doesnt get through to them...i have told them and showed them that studys are to late but its just a habit for them and as we all know habits are very...very hard to break. Trying to get people to join you is awesome but i wouldnt get down if you cant what we do takes alot and asking people to break habits and leave what them know for the unknown is alot for people to handle, not many would be willing to as you have found out. i mean if i wasnt hooked on this sport and i was approached and asked to live this life i would laugh and turn around. I feel in love with this life style on my own and i think that is what you will have to accept, you can show people the door but they will have to open it themselves.

FireFighter85
02-12-09, 9:22 pm
Yeah bro, just keep on preaching. Youll reach someone, even if you may not see it we all touch people that we dont even realize. You also have to understand that smoking could also be considered a way of life and its very hard to change your way of living after doing it for so long. Just keep doing what you do, be passionate about it and be open to help anyone and everyone you can.

Firefist
02-12-09, 9:27 pm
Yeah bro, just keep on preaching. Youll reach someone.

yeah bro, and that is by far the most rewarding feeling in the world.

B-rad89
02-12-09, 9:42 pm
I have had minor success. My friends have seen my changes, my strength gains, ect. I ask them to come to the gym with me. They have all typically quit in the first week. Only one friend lasted a while, he lasted for 3 weeks, then he got back with his girl and now he doesn't talk to me, once again.

I am pretty much alone. Nobody will stick it out.

Angst
02-12-09, 9:50 pm
In my opinion if a person really wants to train, then there's nothing you can do to stop him from training, and if a person really doesn't want to train, then there's nothing you can do to make him do it either. Ultimately that person has to decide for himself what he wants to do.

BB
02-13-09, 3:59 am
In my opinion if a person really wants to train, then there's nothing you can do to stop him from training, and if a person really doesn't want to train, then there's nothing you can do to make him do it either. Ultimately that person has to decide for himself what he wants to do.

well said you can show them but you cant do it for them

FireFighter85
02-15-09, 5:21 pm
don't let it get you down bro.. keep pushing yourself as hard as you can, work on yourself. It'll rub off on someone... sooner or later. Why not try helpin out the people in the gym... In every gym there are people that want to and try to get started but dont have the support system... make a friend and help them out.