PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to Whey protein

Fricano
02-14-09, 11:40 am
What are my alternatives? Is it bad that i cant drink protein shakes or could i just rely on whole food and free form amino acids?
Also does anyone know of anygainer that dont have whey in them

Quadriceps
02-14-09, 12:24 pm
What are my alternatives? Is it bad that i cant drink protein shakes or could i just rely on whole food and free form amino acids?

Have you tried whey isolate? Maybe your allergic to lactose...

but whole food is best anyway

TigerAce01
02-14-09, 12:38 pm
There are a few choices nowadays for shakes, just shop around and experiment. Soy is a good source, and is very healthy.

Pantera52
02-14-09, 2:00 pm
any of you tried Hardfast?? it's by universal i was looking into it.

Cstlfx
02-15-09, 1:29 am
Universal Egg Pro, Universal Soy Pro, both are solid products. If you throw peanut butter and oatmeal in with that stuff you can make it into a weight gainer.

Also, other companies have come out with proteins derived from plants that work really well. I myself have started taking one made from peas (yes, peas!). Other companies have stuff made from artichoke hearts and palm hearts.

Aminos are an excellent source as well. BCAA + EAA + Glutamine is just awesome. I have done that for before. However, that means you need to get all your protein from whole foods if you dont drink the shakes. Become very good friends with eggs, chicken, beef, and tuna. Cheap sources that you can eat often.

I'm allergic to milk as well. Just cows milk though. If you're the same way, you can also try drinking goats milk. Its a decent replacement, can be found in most large stores.

Enforcer
02-15-09, 2:10 pm

Try just to eat your protein instead of drinking it bro. I had a freind in college who was allergic to whey but still made sick gains by just eating his protein.

Wasteland
02-20-09, 2:05 pm
Have you tried whey isolate? Maybe your allergic to lactose...

but whole food is best anyway

Milk is highly allergenic. Lactose intolerance is different. If he has an allergy to a milk fraction, then switching to isolate will make little difference.

The options, if you need powders, are egg and soy for the most part.