PDA

View Full Version : Squats and Milk

TylerC
02-15-09, 8:40 pm
So i've researched on this site about the Squats and Milk program and I plan on starting it tomorrow morning. I've hurt my elbow or something so I'm going to lay off of presses for a while (main reason for starting squats and milk), and I was wondering if this routine would look good, since I won't do any presses. I plan on bringing up my legs a lot.

Monday
20 rep squats (with pullovers)
Leg extension
dumbbell laterals
shrugs
decline situps

Wednesday
20 rep squats (pullovers)
stiff leg deadlifts
lying leg curl
maybe Bent over BB row (depends on how sore my lower back is)
decline situps

Friday
20 rep squats (pullovers)
jefferson lift
abductor machine
lunges
abs

I'm really wanting to focus on my legs mainly and give my upper body a rest (elbow again). I hope if i break up the workouts like this it'll give me enough time to recover. I hope to throw in BB rows so I can get my back in. I plan on starting the squats light tomorrow to give myself the conditioning i need and the confidence i need to get started, and yea i'll be making the 5 lbs jump every workout. I thought about doing hyperextensions as well but i feel that my lower back will be hit enough as it is. If I feel my chest is getting small I might throw in some incline flyes or so. I got the unlimited plan at my college so food isn't a problem and all the milk i want (theres a gallon sitting in the fridge for tomrorow).

Look good?

MrMonday
02-15-09, 10:17 pm
This looks like a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

How exactly is your elbow injured?

I would recommend that you instead continue training normally while resting your injury and doing all you can to make a speedy recovery.

Lunchead
02-15-09, 10:54 pm
this workout isn't something i would be doing... from what i know about 'squats n milk', is the old skool BBs used heavy compound movements mostly and probably wouldnt have included side laterals, leg curls and leg extensions. I would advise you to wait until you could start pressing again to start the 20 squats workout... i dislocated my elbow about july last year and was back to heavy pressing in a few months (i still cant do iso triceps moves like overhead ext. properly, but who needs em when you have overhead presses and dips)

TylerC
02-16-09, 8:17 am
this workout isn't something i would be doing... from what i know about 'squats n milk', is the old skool BBs used heavy compound movements mostly and probably wouldnt have included side laterals, leg curls and leg extensions. I would advise you to wait until you could start pressing again to start the 20 squats workout... i dislocated my elbow about july last year and was back to heavy pressing in a few months (i still cant do iso triceps moves like overhead ext. properly, but who needs em when you have overhead presses and dips)

Im pretty sure the squats and milk program calls for a triset of dips, chins, and decline situps done after the 20 rep squat set (with pullovers) and thats it for the workout. I think i have a bad tendonitis or a pinched nerve in my left elbow/bicep area because at the bottom of any chest presses (shoulder presses dont hurt, but i still dont want to take the chance), i get a sharp pain in that area. I'm just looking for a way to hit my whole body without any pressing moves to irritate that area, and in 6 weeks or so ill go back to see how much my elbow healed, and where to go from there. And my legs are really lagging with an okay upper body (besides abs) so i'm hoping to bring these areas up. I feel if i bring each muscle in the leg up, i can bring my squat up, instead of going too heavy on squats in an attempt to bring up something like hamstrings, etc. This is why its basically split up (monday-quads (leg extensions are done toes pointed outwards to get the inner leg hit, i squat olympic style so my teardrop muscle doesn't get hit too hard on squats like my outter sweep does)wednesday-hamstrings friday-glutes/hamstring tie in).

and my abs are lagging as well, so i'm going to start out the first week or so with unweighted decline situps to see how that goes. Hopefully high rep squats + unweighted decline situps will hit my abs good but not too much to affect my squat. I'm hoping in 6 weeks or so, my squat will be up, my legs will be bigger, my abs will show more, and my tennis elbow will be healed so i can start back on my regular routine.

mritter3
02-16-09, 8:26 am
squats and milk calls for 20 rep squats followed by 20 pullovers, then a circut, of wide grip chins for 1 minute the most you can bust out, same with dips, and then decline crunches, wait 1 minute and do it again, only the circuit, then again. and for the milk portion drink 1 gallon of milk per day. each time you succeed in doing the 20 reps you add 2.5 to each side. I just got done with that program and let me tell you it will be 2 months of hell. but in the end it is totally worth it, my squats have jumped up big time. not to mention iI was only doing 225 for bench like 1-2 times and now am busting out 3 sets of 5, and by the end i was hanging a 25 pounder between my legs for the chins and a 2 45's for the dips. enjoy the darkness bro.

C.Coronato
02-16-09, 12:33 pm
Damn. Now thats a workout.

bleed_alone
02-16-09, 1:13 pm
i did a couple weeks of this over the summer (only a couple due to overtraining not sure how i did it but thats besides the point.. most likely not sleeping enough)

and if you want you can look at my log right here:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=20061

IMO i'd wait til your elbow healed up and add the compound movements like the bench/military/rows etc.

without those i feel like youd be lacking on the full benefits of this program

BobbyB11
02-16-09, 2:28 pm
What kind of milk whole/skim/1-2%. Also I know the reg plan is chins/dips/decline situps for 3 tri-sets. Would it still be beneficial to use rows & bench instead of chins & dips?

TylerC
02-16-09, 3:31 pm
What kind of milk whole/skim/1-2%. Also I know the reg plan is chins/dips/decline situps for 3 tri-sets. Would it still be beneficial to use rows & bench instead of chins & dips?

I'm just going to be drinking 1% milk, but this is because I have food avaiable to me exactly every 2 hours here on campus. I'm pretty sure the original plan calls for whole milk.