PDA

View Full Version : 350 Grams of protein.

TheRagingBoxer
02-20-09, 10:10 am
Whats up fella's. Recently I have been adding up my carbs/proteins/fats that I consume in a day. I have been noticing that on certain days I range from 250-350 grams of protein per day. I did read somewhere that too much protein gets stored as fat. I'm currently on a bulk, spread my meals out 6 a day. Is this too much protein in a days time? I weigh around 200 pounds give or take?

wedge
02-20-09, 10:24 am
You typically should shoot for 1.5-2 g of protein per lb of body weight. At 200 lbs, you're right around where you need to be.
Why the fluctuation though?

Wasteland
02-20-09, 10:28 am
Whats up fella's. Recently I have been adding up my carbs/proteins/fats that I consume in a day. I have been noticing that on certain days I range from 250-350 grams of protein per day. I did read somewhere that too much protein gets stored as fat. I'm currently on a bulk, spread my meals out 6 a day. Is this too much protein in a days time? I weigh around 200 pounds give or take?

Too much anything can lead to fat. There is no definitive answer we can provide as we don't know your total caloric intake, your total energy expenditure, your metabolism, etc. You have to experiment for yourself and see.

TheRagingBoxer
02-20-09, 10:49 am
It flucuates sometimes cause somedays Ill eat red meat, and other days ill eat chicken, and also depends if I got my eggs harboiled for those days. I have seen that Iam consuming more carbs which the break down looked like 40/40/20. Im currently running m-stak if that helps at all. I was just worried that maybe I should cut back on the proteins, and wasn't sure if that excess protein led to more fat gains then mass gains? I would say that I have a pretty moderate metablism, dont seem to be losing or putting any weight on despite getting about 4500 calories per day. I know I need more cals, and I'm working on that

GJN5002
02-20-09, 10:58 am
wasteland is right, too much of anything turn to fat. If youre bulking the calories have to come from somewhere, and in my opinion, it might as well be lots of protein. It really just depends. There is a lot of new research showing we dont need as much prtoein as we think, but if you start tapering down protein, what do you bump up to get the calories. I think you should take it down slightly to the 300g range. That gives you 1.5 g per/lb whihc should eb ok. Considering you are not 200lbs of solid muscle, it will be more than enough protein. I also wouldn really worry about the amount fluctuating, I do the same. Some days 250, some days 300.

Variable
02-20-09, 11:40 am
a 100g fluctuation is pretty big. 4cal/g of protein = 400 calories.

also, important to remember is that in the same way excess glucose (carbs) in the body decrease the bodies sensitivity to insulin, excess protein can have a similar effect.

some studies have shown that excessive quantities of protein do not benefit and may actually slow protein synthesis within the body. i think 1g/lb of body weight is a little low, id shoot for 1.5g/lb of LEAN body weight.

get the remainder of your calories from unrefined carbs. take in your simple sugars upon waking and after your workout to elevate your insulin levels and drive aminos from the protein your eating into your cells. insulin moves glucose, but also acts on other solutes.

GJN5002
02-20-09, 11:56 am
good call, the key there is 1.5g per/lb of lean mass.

TheRagingBoxer
02-20-09, 12:00 pm
good call, the key there is 1.5g per/lb of lean mass.

Thanks fella's. Time to reconfigure some meals.

Wasteland
02-20-09, 12:06 pm
Thanks fella's. Time to reconfigure some meals.

Keep in mind that recommendations like these are rules of thumb. They are not set in stone. I would suggest keeping a food log and keeping track of what you do so that you can gauge what works and what doesn't.

Variable
02-20-09, 2:37 pm
Keep in mind that recommendations like these are rules of thumb. They are not set in stone. I would suggest keeping a food log and keeping track of what you do so that you can gauge what works and what doesn't.

I've kept my diet and all the alterations I've made on an excel spread sheet. Its easy to copy and past complete/partial meal plans to make diet changes. I've got a couple pages worth of diets for cutting and bulking. works for me

Wasteland
02-20-09, 2:42 pm
I've kept my diet and all the alterations I've made on an excel spread sheet. Its easy to copy and past complete/partial meal plans to make diet changes. I've got a couple pages worth of diets for cutting and bulking. works for me

Nice work. It takes time to set up and it requires some discipline in the beginning, but once you get used to it, a log becomes a great tool and keeping it becomes second nature.

LegendKillerJosh
02-21-09, 12:39 pm
You typically should shoot for 1.5-2 g of protein per lb of body weight. At 200 lbs, you're right around where you need to be.
Why the fluctuation though?

I believe 2g per pound would be excessive.

But if you are bulking, you need 1.5g NOT per pound of bodyweight, but per pound of TARGET bodyweight. If you are 200lb, 300g isn't enough to get you up to 220. To be be 220lb, you need to eat like 220lb, so you would need 330g protein.