PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilders Are Stupid

Wasteland
02-20-09, 5:13 pm
I overhead this in the gym yesterday. I consider myself fairly well read and I had to bite my tongue. Why do people think those of us who lift are dumb? Have you ever experienced this?

InkdMuscle
02-20-09, 5:15 pm
I overhead this in the gym yesterday. I consider myself fairly well read and I had to bite my tongue. Why do people think those of us who lift are dumb? Have you ever experienced this?

shrug it off bro. everyone has there own opinion. just smile and say thank you and hit the weights harder. u cant please everyone.

Wasteland
02-20-09, 5:18 pm
shrug it off bro. everyone has there own opinion. just smile and say thank you and hit the weights harder. u cant please everyone.

I did shrug it off. But why does the stereotype persist in this day and age? Is there a basis in fact? Or just a stereotype with no merit?

OklahomaMuscle
02-20-09, 5:18 pm
Not in those words exactly, but I was told today at a work conference that the protein shake I was drinking was going to damage my kidneys, because too much protein is bad for the body. Keep in mind I was told this by a guy who had just finished his 3rd cigarette in our 10 minute break...so in that respect I think he was implying that I was uneducated.

mahscles
02-20-09, 5:20 pm
yes sir i have heard this many times. i think the reason being is that so many movies and tv shows that have what are supposed to be bodybuilders on them make the people unintelligent so therefore a stigma is created making us out to be people that are always working out 24/7, have no life beyond lifting, dont have any education, and use juice to get enormous. it is ridiculous but we can thank those who have created this stereotype for it. i never worry about it though because as i know i am not stupid i dont give a rat's ass what people think.

OklahomaMuscle
02-20-09, 5:23 pm
I did shrug it off. But why does the stereotype persist in this day and age? Is there a basis in fact? Or just a stereotype with no merit?

I think it has a lot to do with some bodybuilders and their egos. Many people see people that live this life as egotistical and arrogant, they then just associate that arrogance with being stupid. Not a lot of foundation for a stereotype but many guys do have attitudes, and those few can really effect people.

Wasteland
02-20-09, 5:24 pm
Not in those words exactly, but I was told today at a work conference that the protein shake I was drinking was going to damage my kidneys, because too much protein is bad for the body. Keep in mind I was told this by a guy who had just finished his 3rd cigarette in our 10 minute break...so in that respect I think he was implying that I was uneducated.

This is definitely related I think. Is it a case of sour grapes? People call us stupid and tell us we're damaging our bodies because they resent the fact that we're dedicated? Because we have goals we aspire to?

Wasteland
02-20-09, 5:26 pm
I think it has a lot to do with some bodybuilders and their egos. Many people see people that live this life as egotistical and arrogant, they then just associate that arrogance with being stupid. Not a lot of foundation for a stereotype but many guys do have attitudes, and those few can really effect people.

Many also believe bodybuilders are narcissistic. "Why do you look in the mirror all the time?" That's a classic question. Because bodybuilding is like sculpting, only the work is done on the body. Just as the sculptor examine his sculpture from all angles, all perspectives, so too does the bodybuilder need to see what requires further refinement. But then, there are the people who were tank tops to the mall when it's 50 degrees. How do we explain that away?

Joker-Roo
02-20-09, 5:31 pm
Many also believe bodybuilders are narcissistic. "Why do you look in the mirror all the time?" That's a classic question. Because bodybuilding is like sculpting, only the work is done on the body. Just as the sculptor examine his sculpture from all angles, all perspectives, so too does the bodybuilder need to see what requires further refinement. But then, there are the people who were tank tops to the mall when it's 50 degrees. How do we explain that away?

.....In everything everybody always focus on the negative, so if some people see a arrogant S.O.B than they will think everyone associated with them is the same. Typical human behaviour. Sad really

Andru

GJN5002
02-20-09, 5:35 pm
it just comes with the territory. I think it has to do witht he sterotype of jocks in school too. You know, that teacher pamper them and inflate their grades. I think to many we are like grown up high scool jocks. Its funny when you watch a college football game and they give the stats, you see how many young guys have better grades than half the drunk students.
There are plenty of dumb bb's just like there are plenty of dumb people.

Iron4Life
02-20-09, 5:39 pm
In the words of G Diesel...."fuck em...we've got bigger fish to fry"...i could have mis-quoted that ( sorry G if i got that wrong)...but either way..i think it rings true here...all that matters is how we perceive ourselves and not how others see it...remember..most people fear what they don't understand...hence why joe public looks at bodybuilders as cocky, vain, stupid, etc..deep down every animal here knows the truth...just my $0.02

InkdMuscle
02-20-09, 5:39 pm

IMO the reason why the judge is because they are envious. sure you will have your average joe blow at the gym. who hits it 2-3 times a week. doesnt really care a bout dieting and nutrition. but goes just to keep things in check so to speak. then BAM!!!, in walks an ANIMAL whos huge and ripped carrying a gallon of water. Whos sole purpose is to gain size and freakishly large and ripped and who eats a tasteless diet day in and day out. Not because its fun but because its a nec. must for us to hit the goals we want. They see that and it turns into envy.

Wasteland
02-20-09, 5:42 pm
There are plenty of dumb bb's just like there are plenty of dumb people.

I've known some incredibly smart people in my life. Yet none of those have been bodybuilders. Is it just me?

JUGGERNAUT
02-20-09, 5:42 pm
I get a lot of that... at its true.

I'm stupid because I'm the first one called upon to help somebody move.
" " because when anybodyís jar top is stuck I open it
" " because I can't seem to guess the winning lottery ticket number
" " because I have to use an accountant to do my taxes so I don't get audited for excessive supplement purchases
" " because I grunt when food shopping and tend to drool in the cart
" " because when people call me a muscle head I think thatís cool
" " because mmm what are we talking about?

Most stereotypes are created by ugly and out of shape weak people. If you are genetically smart, more power to you. If you were a professional student, more power to you. If you have your PHD awesome!...........but don't call anybody stupid because saying it makes you stupid, thinking you know anything at all.

Iron4Life
02-20-09, 5:49 pm
Ronnie has an accounting degree from Grambling... dont know about you all..but every accountant ive ever met... is pretty damn smart....just a lil FYI

wedge
02-20-09, 5:51 pm
I think it has to do with human nature and wanting to be better than someone. For instance, he may be bigger and strong than me, but I am smarter....etc.

Dockins
02-20-09, 5:51 pm

those who sport stereotypes are ignorant. like many have said...shrug it off.

..on a side note...i like to think of myself as one of the "brighter" shades of crayons in the box ;D

Wasteland
02-20-09, 6:09 pm
those who sport stereotypes are ignorant. like many have said...shrug it off.

..on a side note...i like to think of myself as one of the "brighter" shades of crayons in the box ;D

Yes. But having said that, I do think there is an overemphasis on athletic ability as compared to academic ability in this country. If you're smart in high school, you might be ridiculed. However, if you are a star athlete, quite the opposite. Look at the way we celebrate pro athletes versus, say, teachers?

DANO
02-20-09, 6:14 pm
Anyone who has these thoughts shouls be redirected here to read ANY of the articles.
Some of the most philisophical reading is right here.

JUGGERNAUT
02-20-09, 6:15 pm
Yes. But having said that, I do think there is an overemphasis on athletic ability as compared to academic ability in this country. If you're smart in high school, you might be ridiculed. However, if you are a star athlete, quite the opposite. Look at the way we celebrate pro athletes versus, say, teachers?

No question this is accurate

PikeBoy22
02-20-09, 10:35 pm
You know the funny thing is how much thinking and intelligence actually goes into bodybuilding...knowing what rep scheme to get which look, being able to know which foods to eat at what times and what each of those foods is bringing to your diet...knowing how many calories to take in when you're cutting and how much cardio to do...but whatever...its great to see the look on peoples faces when you make an incredibly intelligent comment and can't figure out where it came from

Dedicated2Liftin
02-21-09, 1:30 pm
In the end it all boils down to people's insecurities. As a defense mechanism, they feel they need to validate themselves in some form or another, so they achieve this by putting others down. At the end of the day, take comfort in the fact that jealousy is most likely the primary motivation for their childish behavior.

IronWilson
02-21-09, 3:54 pm
I think that the mentality comes from a belief that is really antiquated. In the old days, bodybuilders lifted and ate a lot of anything because that is what made them big, and that's all they knew. Today, times have changed. Bodybuilders of today are scientists, chefs, and nutritionists of the world. So I think people have the predetermined thought because that was how it was known throughout generations.

prowrestler
02-21-09, 7:16 pm
brains or brawn. its an old cat and dog thing i guess. rivalry/ opposites.

who cares, if your dumb as shit but can play baseball your set in life or if you got the athletic ability more suited for a contestant on "the biggest looser" vs the NFL, you can always be damn smart and be a doctor

jmoney
02-21-09, 11:48 pm
IMO the reason why the judge is because they are envious. sure you will have your average joe blow at the gym. who hits it 2-3 times a week. doesnt really care a bout dieting and nutrition. but goes just to keep things in check so to speak. then BAM!!!, in walks an ANIMAL whos huge and ripped carrying a gallon of water. Whos sole purpose is to gain size and freakishly large and ripped and who eats a tasteless diet day in and day out. Not because its fun but because its a nec. must for us to hit the goals we want. They see that and it turns into envy.

this sums it up.. i train in a yuppy gym i just switched from my old gym ive allways went to just wanted to change up. now when i train i have the typical guys who talk shit then the ones who are scared and stay away from any area i may be then the ppl who just say whats wrong with you.. i just blow the shit off and hit it harder..i have some serious scars on my legs and left arm from a wreck so i got the stairs already but its gotten worse over the last few years.. fuck ppl live your dream their world could never be bigg enuff for you.. thats my sayin.

Cstlfx
02-22-09, 2:26 am
The general public just does not understand the shoes we're in. They see us and think of grunting and sweating in the gym. They dont realize the amount of biology and chemistry involved when we plan our diet and plan our supplements.

They also dont think past the gym into what we do in our everyday lives. If you're a big guy, I also think it shocks people, that shock does not allow people to think properly.

In the end, the so called bodybuilders of today, are the dickheads who get on MTV or VH1 and do these reality shows, looking like asses. Its some bad apples ruining the reputation of others.

jeff00z28
02-22-09, 2:33 am
where i live every1 wants to be big. in the city i cant get jobs because the 140lbers look at me like a weirdo. i hate the city. i ate 5 tunas (100g protein) alone for a meal once just to anger them

Litty-T
02-22-09, 7:02 am
You WILL meet less intelligent people everywhere you look, but unfortunately the media (i.e. movies and TV) has dubbed us the least of the intellectual. Which is fine with me because I know that isnít the case. So while they are standing in the corner contemplating ways to try and prove my stupidity, Iím getting diesel so I can steal their girl!