PDA

View Full Version : need help

bovat
02-21-09, 3:20 am
im really unsure of everything now. I hear about people eating 300-500g of protein, and im thinking thats a large amount of cholesterol being consumed, way over the rda of 300mg. Whats the reason, is it ok for us cuz we are constanly working out and stuff.

Also hear that 5 oz of protein/meat/w.e. is recommended? wtf is that.

Anyone help me understand all this better.

fenix237
02-23-09, 3:39 pm
first of all, you can throw RDA recommendations out the window when it comes to bodybuilding/powerlifting. RDA, to me anyways, is not the best source for your nutrition needs. the needs for someone looking to get massive and strong are totally different than average people.

bodybuilders, powerlifters, weightlifters eat a lot of protein because it's required to build muscle, but also because protein is harder to store as fat than carbs and fat. Bodybuilders, who want to be lean, can get calorie requirements from protein without worrying as much about fat gain than diets high in carbs/fat. In addition, digesting protein requires quite a bit more calories than the other 2, so you burn more calories on a high protein diet than diets of the same calories, but with a higher % of carbs/fats.

regarding cholesterol; everyone is different, but more and more studies show dietary cholesterol is not a big of factor as once thought. a lot of us eat a shit ton of oatmeal too, which is great at lowering cholesterol

plus steaks, chicken, eggs, etc taste great!

1skinnyassedrunt
02-23-09, 4:57 pm
im really unsure of everything now. I hear about people eating 300-500g of protein, and im thinking thats a large amount of cholesterol being consumed, way over the rda of 300mg. Whats the reason, is it ok for us cuz we are constanly working out and stuff.

Also hear that 5 oz of protein/meat/w.e. is recommended? wtf is that.

Anyone help me understand all this better.

Am I right in thinking that dietary cholestrol is anabolic(muscle building) and helps with testosterone?

GJN5002
02-23-09, 5:14 pm
Am I right in thinking that dietary cholestrol is anabolic(muscle building) and helps with testosterone?
read this
http://www.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/1399/51/
and yes in my opinion, 400-500 g of protein is way too much.

Imran
02-23-09, 5:15 pm
Well mate you don't have to worry about the amount of protein. Because for bodybuilder 1 to 1.5gm of protein per pound of bodyweight is recommended. So you are perfectly all right taking 300 gms of protein. I weigh nearly 260lbs and I take approximately 450 gms of protein everyday. I eat 20 odd eggs along with minced beef seven days a week and i train 5 times a week hard as fuck. And I have never have problem with cholestrol. In addition, I eat tons of oatmeal everyday. Secondly, it depends how hard u train as well.
In the end I would say body needs that amount of protein to build muscle. You can't build muscle without taking enough calories and equivalent amount of protein. Hope this helps.

bhanma
02-23-09, 10:26 pm
4-500g is only for people with high metabo's or people who have an active job, otherwise its stupid to take that much, u need 1g to maintain muscle mass 1.5 to grow at a normal rate, without gaining fat and 2g of proteins to gain without the worries of fat

that 5 oz thing is probably backwards like 5 oz of meat equals or per cause / is usually per or equals.... so 5 oz of meat per somethin of protein...sounds like lunch meat

or it could be for every 5 oz of meat theres a gram of protein...which is like 13 grams of protein...i think....cause its like...1 tenth of an oz is 1 gram soooo

you know what i dont know

catwoman
02-23-09, 11:14 pm
Well mate you don't have to worry about the amount of protein. Because for bodybuilder 1 to 1.5gm of protein per pound of bodyweight is recommended. So you are perfectly all right taking 300 gms of protein. I weigh nearly 260lbs and I take approximately 450 gms of protein everyday. I eat 20 odd eggs along with minced beef seven days a week and i train 5 times a week hard as fuck. And I have never have problem with cholestrol. In addition, I eat tons of oatmeal everyday. Secondly, it depends how hard u train as well.
In the end I would say body needs that amount of protein to build muscle. You can't build muscle without taking enough calories and equivalent amount of protein. Hope this helps.

When i increased my protein, 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight, my cholesterol dropped 100 points...go figure.

GJN5002
02-24-09, 2:45 pm
When i increased my protein, 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight, my cholesterol dropped 100 points...go figure.

What dropped 100 points? LDL, HDL, Triglycerides, Im assuming a combo..there are many variables that dictate cholesterol health.

catwoman
02-25-09, 2:10 am
What dropped 100 points? LDL, HDL, Triglycerides, Im assuming a combo..there are many variables that dictate cholesterol health.

It was like 'the good, the bad, and the ugly....". The good remained the pretty much the same, the bad went down, and the ugly [triglycerides] went down alot. I'm basically a vegetarian, but i eat some fish. I get alot of my protein from supps and everyday is a challenge to get enough protein. I saw your diet....in my next life i'll come back big and male and be able to eat more...haha

fenix237
02-26-09, 11:12 am
a few months ago i started eating 6 whole eggs and 2 cups oatmeal for breakfast along with lots of lean red meat other standard meals for building muscle and my cholesterol went down 20 some points into the 180's.

i think it's pretty important to eat a lot of oatmeal when eating huge amounts of eggs and meat. a personal trainer at my Gold's, who i became friends with, told me my cholesterol would go through the roof with what i was eating......

GJN5002
02-26-09, 12:10 pm
It was like 'the good, the bad, and the ugly....". The good remained the pretty much the same, the bad went down, and the ugly [triglycerides] went down alot. I'm basically a vegetarian, but i eat some fish. I get alot of my protein from supps and everyday is a challenge to get enough protein. I saw your diet....in my next life i'll come back big and male and be able to eat more...haha

thats tough being a vegetarian bodybuilder. Good luck on the wishes fo ryour next life. what is your reason fo rbecoming a vegetarian? I cant watch slaughterhouse vids or or really think about what I'm eating because Im a big softy when it comes to human or animal life.

GJN5002
02-26-09, 12:12 pm
a few months ago i started eating 6 whole eggs and 2 cups oatmeal for breakfast along with lots of lean red meat other standard meals for building muscle and my cholesterol went down 20 some points into the 180's.

i think it's pretty important to eat a lot of oatmeal when eating huge amounts of eggs and meat. a personal trainer at my Gold's, who i became friends with, told me my cholesterol would go through the roof with what i was eating......

not necessarily. Many people think cholesterol is simply a function on dietary cholesterol whichit is much more complicated than that. Im a low carb advocate and spent probably half the year on a ketogenic/anabolic diet high in fat and cholesterol and have positively impacted my cholesterol since starting.