PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Leg Workout?

Fricano
02-24-09, 10:30 pm
My leg workout starts with a 5-10 minute warm-up on the bike. After that and a quick stretch I move warm up in the squat rack. Two sets; 185X12, 225X6. Now its time for work. Start off with 285X8-10 then another 285X8-10 followed by 300X6-8 and finished with 315X6. This workout is only getting started. I limp over to the leg press for 3 set of a hard 10 reps never locking out or pausing keeping the tension on my quads. Now this is the fun part. I crawl over to the hack squat machine and load that thing up with some decent weight. 3 sets of 10-12 reps at about 200 Lbs. Then on my fourth set I do a triple drop set. Yeah thats 7 sets total. Finally I make my way over to the leg extension machine to finish off what left in my quads. After a quick stretch it time for hamstrings. They are already pretty warm from squating so i jump into 3 working sets of leg curls. 135-150 for as many reps as i can get usually around 6-8. Then some good old fashioned stiff-leg deadlifts. 3 sets 185X8. Finally finish with standing leg curls, alternating between each leg until I complete 4 sets of 10-15. By this time I can hardly walk. I make it over to the seated calf machine for 3 sets of 12 and the to the standing calf machine for another 3 sets of 12, 8, and 6 .

Whats your leg workout look like?

shizz702
02-24-09, 10:31 pm
Squats, and....squats.

prowrestler
02-24-09, 10:34 pm
Squats, and....squats.

i also deadlift

Gambit
02-24-09, 10:36 pm
Bike
Leg Extensions (light weight for high reps)
*superset with
Lying Leg Curls (light weight, high reps) to warm up the knees

Leg Press
Squats
Lunges
Leg Extensions

Lying leg curls
Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Single leg standing hamstring curls

Calf work.

shizz702
02-24-09, 10:38 pm
i also deadlift

Yea I do that too, but consider that more of my back workout.

SQUAT or DIE!
02-24-09, 10:39 pm
squats sets of 3 then drop to 1 or 9 sets of 2
pulls are the same
then accessory work 4 sets of 6 or 3 sets of 8

yaay for WS

master of disaster
02-24-09, 11:26 pm
i always start my workouts with a 5 minrun on the treadmill then i do squats, hack squats, lunges, legpress, leg extensions, goodmornings hamstring curls, deadlifts and machine for side of legs and insdie of legs and glutes

Litty-T
02-25-09, 8:04 am
Heavy squats... Warm up with 225 2x12. Then it's business time! Bump up to 315 2x10 Then 405 2x8. Then try and max it (once or twice a month) Hitting about 435-440 2x4. Then kill the quads with a few sets of extensions. Some leg presses are always key, pushin bout 650-700 3x8-10. Then the real SHIT... The "Walk of Death" as I like to call it. A set of 90's in hand and then I lung 12 steps, turn around and do 10 more. I usually hit about 3-4 sets of those. Finish up with the hammies, 4x10-12 lay down curls and usually superset with standing calf raises or something in that catagory. Might not sound too impressive but for a guy sittin at 5'11" 195lbs and only 24 y/o... I'm happy with it for now. Always lookin to improve though.

Toni69
02-25-09, 8:08 am
my leg wo's change every week...mostly I alt the type of squats ..so I would go from smitty, power squat and box/bench with bb. leg press is a must...sometimes throwing in a drop set at the end for good measure. Weighted step ups on a bench or lunges, hamstring curls and/or sldl's w/ db's...maybe GM's to stretch the hams and glutes and low back a bit and leg ext to either burn out or flush the quads.

its how I rotate or mix it up that makes it all interesting...playing with reps or even the movement itself. like my last drop set on leg press, may hold the weight at the bottom for a 2-3 count then explode up...hamstring curls, I will hold on the curl part and really contract the hams hard..so hard they are near cramping!

Weight does matter in most cases, but how you manipulate the weight is key, in my opinion anyway.

Litty-T
02-25-09, 8:14 am
Heavy squats... Warm up with 225 2x12. Then it's business time! Bump up to 315 2x10 Then 405 2x8. Then try and max it (once or twice a month) Hitting about 435-440 2x4. Then kill the quads with a few sets of extensions. Some leg presses are always key, pushin bout 650-700 3x8-10. Then the real SHIT... The "Walk of Death" as I like to call it. A set of 90's in hand and then I lung 12 steps, turn around and do 10 more. I usually hit about 3-4 sets of those. Finish up with the hammies, 4x10-12 lay down curls and usually superset with standing calf raises or something in that catagory. Might not sound too impressive but for a guy sittin at 5'11" 195lbs and only 24 y/o... I'm happy with it for now. Always lookin to improve though.

Feel The Power
02-25-09, 8:42 am
I tried only part of houses leg workout and almost died.. I read this in the new MD magazine and he calls these century leg presses... try it out and your legs will be crushed.

Leg Press.
1 plate each side x 10 reps
2 plates each side x 20 reps
3 plates each side x 30 reps
... and so on.. until you get to 10 plates each side for 100...

I made it to 5 plates for 50 reps... I tried to go down the ladder as well, but didn't make it so I put 2 plates on and did reps until failure.. which didn't take long as my legs were already shot.

only rest is enough time to hobble over to the weights and add another 45 plate to each side...

I did some lunges and stiff dumbell deads as well.. usually I alternate one week leg press and stiff deads, one week free squats/hack squats.

WeeMan
02-25-09, 9:31 am
Leg Extensions
Squats
Sissy Squats
Stiff-legged Deadlifts
Leg Curls

NWSaint
02-25-09, 7:50 pm
"what's your leg workout?"

Hmmmm, that's kind of a tough question.. to me personally, it all depends on which cycle i'm goin' through.. (mass, cut'n, variation).. but for the most part I live and die by Squats.. no matter which cycle i'm on Squats are my mainstay.. so it might go like this..

20mins. stretching (I catch heat this for this, but i'll tell ya right now i'm not tearin' shit.. no groin, no quad, no hammy, don't need nothin' tightening up on me).. Then during stretching I do what I call "EBS's", which stands for empty bar squats, 3 sets of those, 20 reps a pop.. I can't even begin to emphasize what it means to be thoroughly warmed up before doin' squats.. then..

Squats- (anywhere from 3 to 8 sets, all depending on my goals)..

The past 6 weeks i've been on somewhat of a de-load (60% 2 weeks, 70% 2 weeks, 80% 2 weeks), and every set is 20 reps.. after the squats..

Leg Curls- (same as squats for sets, but I don't go any higher than 15 reps)..

Same sets is easy math, do the same for the back as you do for the front.

And that's really it, except that during a variation cycle i'll throw in Leg Extensions as a pre-exhaust before Squats, and even then it'll only be in the 3 set range, just enough to get things warm..& stiff-legged deadlifts as an alternative to leg curls.. But mainly, it's just Squats and Leg Curls.. no sense in F'n around.

NWSaint.

NickSP
02-25-09, 8:48 pm
Right now doing something like this

leg extensions x4 sets
deep, narrow squats x3 sets
smith machine front squats x3 sets
lying leg curls x4
lying single leg curls x3
standing calves x4

mostly around 10-16 reps, increasing weight

Big C
02-25-09, 9:40 pm
I pretty much hit everything you can think of (not all in one workout of course)....but none of my leg w/o's are ever the same. From high volume to low volume/heavy weight to supersets, drop sets, giant sets etc. Squats are one thing that's a staple...still hoping our gym gets a powersquat machine soon.

jeff00z28
02-25-09, 9:54 pm
recent one that was brutal was
close stance squats barx10, 135x10, 225x10, 315x10, 415x5
front squats 225x10, 275x10, 315x5
squats 225x20

machine hack squats 2 pps x 10 3 sets

stiff leg d/l 135x10, 225x10, 315x10, 365x8
leg curls 4 sets of 10

hit everything just right i loved that workout

Jonisocool
02-26-09, 12:32 am
Needs more glute ham raise and reverse hyper.

Jay Hanisak
02-26-09, 8:40 am
Monday

Warmup 10 min on bike
Squats 4 x 10 with easy weight (my light day)
Heavy Deads - right now I'm pulling off a 6 in. block to work on my strength from the floor
one week sets of next week I'll go for a heavy single or dbl

Upper back work- Usually 10 sets of heavy rowing for 5 reps
May do Hypers or good mornings with a band and a chain around my neck

FridaY

warmup on bike
Heavy Squats triples up to a heavy single or double
Good Mornings or stiff leg deads for reps
Upper back work- Usually more pulldowns 10 sets of high reps.

jermaine
02-26-09, 11:48 pm
mondays leg workout looked like:

5 minute walk + 5 minute bike ride to get the legs warm

3x8 alternating DB lunges with 70lb DBs
5x5 back squat 315
20 rep front squat @ 165

10 minutes of 10% incline @ 3.5 mph to cool down/get the calves fired up

Alk
02-27-09, 9:31 am
-I take Pump before my 15 min drive to the gym
-5 to 10 minutes of stretching

-First superset: leg press (4 plates each side, gradually increasing the weight for as many as i can get), machine squats (light weight, concentrating on form and the burn more then strength, as many as i can get), and indian squats (50 count, last 15 squats i jump up for the squat @ every mutliple of 5). 4 sets each, 30 seconds between sets, and probably the longest part of the workout. I usually have to hold onto a machine to stand up and get water here lol.

-Second superset: Leg extensions (8-10 count @ 60 lbs) + deep squats on my toes with no weight for about 15-20. I only added in the deep squats b/c my legs get so f!cked up from the previous superset, and it's incredibly difficult to keep my balance when doing it. 4 sets. 30 seconds between sets

-Third superset: Leg curls (both legs, 100 lbs, as many as i can get) and single leg curls (25 lbs, six reps). 3 sets. 30 seconds between sets

-Fourth superset: Calf raises (200, 225, 250, 250 lb for as many as I can get) and calf raises, no weight. 30 seconds between sets

Sometimes add in new things. That's the usual order, but I change it up every few weeks. Takes about an hour

KJR246
02-27-09, 11:23 pm
I have a lower body power day:
-Heavy squats
-Stiff legged deadlifts
-Heavy deadlifts
I like to do some sort of cardio, usually stairs or jump rope, after.

And a leg hypertrophy day:
-Squats ramping the weight up for like 10 sets. Sometimes I'll do a set of 20 reps with a moderate weight if I'm feeling intense
-Stiff legged deadlifts the same as squats
-Leg extension dropsets. Quick extend, slow decent. Pain
-Heavy standing calf raises
-Low weight lunges for like 30 reps. This shit hurts
-Maybe moderate weight deadlifts if I'm not beat yet
Sometimes I'll do like 10 minutes on the jump rope, but not too often.

Woolsey
03-01-09, 7:15 am
4 sets of leg extensions, 5 sets of heavy squats, 3 sets of lunges, 3 sets of weighted step ups, 4 sets of 20 rep squats, die

Fricano
03-03-09, 2:22 pm
Sometimes i puke doing that routine. It feels good to get that food out but it sucks cause I know I have to put right back in.