PDA

View Full Version : Big Man needs some diet advice

toobigfred
02-26-09, 5:26 pm
First a bit about me, I am an avid weightlifter, have been for about 14 years. I do teh cardio every day, and my weighlifting sessions are not for the weak of heart. I just cant seem to come up with a diet I can stick to for very long(I know, man up) Here is what I have been doing so far. I like it, but would like it critiqued. I am 30 years old, 395 pounds, 6ft tall and 40.4% bf

Meal 1:
3oz chicken breast
1/2c brocolli
1 tbs natty pb
1 1/2 tsp xtra virgin olive oil
1tsp fiber

Meal 2:
3oz chicken breast
1/2c brocolli
1 tbs natty pb

Meal 3:
3oz chicken breast
1/2c brocolli
1 tbs natty pb
1tsp fiber

Meal 4: preworkout
1/2c oats
1c 2% milk
4oz pineapple
1 scoop protien

Meal 5: postworkout shake
2 scoops protien
1/4c sugar

Meal 6:
3oz chicken breast
1/2c brocolli
1 tbs natty pb

Meal 7:
3oz chicken breast
1/2c brocolli
1 tbs natty pb
1tsp fiber

I eat that Mon-Sat, on sunday I either fast, or eat what I want up to 2600 calories.

How does it look?

fenix237
02-26-09, 6:05 pm
damn bro, you're a big boy! i think that any sound nutrition plan should see you losing some pounds steadily. being a big guy myself, the good news is even small tweaks can reap major benefits. if you're like me, you're always wanting to get stronger, and absolutely hate the idea of losing any strength. but it is important as we get older to not carry around excessive fat- it's especially harmful in the gut region as it poisons your organs.

if you really want to drop some pounds while keeping your hard earned muscle, consider going on a KETO style diet. you will drop weight fast and feel good while doing it. another benefit of this diet is that you will not suffer from going hungry. i think it's worth trying for 12-15 weeks. it is well suited for people who have quite a bit to lose. there is endless info available in the diet section if you want to read up.

i'm sure some of the good bros and bras on here will give some solid advice here shortly. good luck and keep us posted-brp

stumblin54
02-26-09, 7:01 pm
Looks good to me. Just remember, you're big so keep your calories up and drop them slowly! You don't want to starve yourself and end up binging and gaining it all back. Be consistent and good luck. Keep us updated.

Stumblin

toobigfred
02-26-09, 10:42 pm
damn bro, you're a big boy! i think that any sound nutrition plan should see you losing some pounds steadily. being a big guy myself, the good news is even small tweaks can reap major benefits. if you're like me, you're always wanting to get stronger, and absolutely hate the idea of losing any strength. but it is important as we get older to not carry around excessive fat- it's especially harmful in the gut region as it poisons your organs.

if you really want to drop some pounds while keeping your hard earned muscle, consider going on a KETO style diet. you will drop weight fast and feel good while doing it. another benefit of this diet is that you will not suffer from going hungry. i think it's worth trying for 12-15 weeks. it is well suited for people who have quite a bit to lose. there is endless info available in the diet section if you want to read up.

i'm sure some of the good bros and bras on here will give some solid advice here shortly. good luck and keep us posted-brp
I tried keto before, after a week, it made me sicker than hell. I dunno why. Bad runs and felt like sh*T.

Looks good to me. Just remember, you're big so keep your calories up and drop them slowly! You don't want to starve yourself and end up binging and gaining it all back. Be consistent and good luck. Keep us updated.

Stumblin

Thanks. IT is hard to remember to keep em up.

Pizzalamp
02-26-09, 10:58 pm
i woud increase the protein per meal to about 4-5oz and id get rid of the sugar post workout-have some fruit instead

Thetasteofink69
02-27-09, 1:24 am
My god, you must have a hella good chicken recipe or something..

Where are all your carbs? I would lower the fat content a little in each of the chicken meals, and up the carb content.. I know you're cutting so carbs are low, but I don't think they should be that low

And I don't know, it must have to do with your religion, but if you have the option between fasting and eating 2600 calories, I would ALWAYS go with the 2600 calorie option

fenix237
02-27-09, 2:09 pm
"I tried keto before, after a week, it made me sicker than hell. I dunno why. Bad runs and felt like sh*T"

yeah, well people respond different to different things, but remember you will feel much worse on a low carb than a zero carb. i'm certainly not suggesting it's the only way to drop bodyfat, but it's an effective one. i feel fine after a few days and still have great workouts

in any event, good luck and keep us posted with results!

toobigfred
02-27-09, 2:13 pm
i woud increase the protein per meal to about 4-5oz and id get rid of the sugar post workout-have some fruit instead

Will do that. Should I still aim for abour 60 carbs post workout.

My god, you must have a hella good chicken recipe or something..

Where are all your carbs? I would lower the fat content a little in each of the chicken meals, and up the carb content.. I know you're cutting so carbs are low, but I don't think they should be that low

And I don't know, it must have to do with your religion, but if you have the option between fasting and eating 2600 calories, I would ALWAYS go with the 2600 calorie option

If I had to take either the PB out or the Olive oil, which one should I drop?

"I tried keto before, after a week, it made me sicker than hell. I dunno why. Bad runs and felt like sh*T"

yeah, well people respond different to different things, but remember you will feel much worse on a low carb than a zero carb. i'm certainly not suggesting it's the only way to drop bodyfat, but it's an effective one. i feel fine after a few days and still have great workouts

in any event, good luck and keep us posted with results!

I thinkI might give keto a try again, I did it "cold turkey" I have heard it is easier if you work your way to no carb.

brandonA
02-27-09, 2:39 pm
I would start by simply eating clean. Dump the sugar, and do not fast on sundays, unless it is for a good reason (reglion or something like that). Get your body used to eating that way. Dont really worry about Keto, or counting cals. Use the hand size for portion. Closed fist for carbs, open hand for protein...veggies are free...Once you do this for a few weeks (call it practice), then start cutting the cals down.

If you eat carbs, dont eat any after 3pm...Keep them clean and unrefined. Taters, sweet tatets, brown rice, whole wheats, oats..ect...

Dont get too caught up in Keto, Southbeach...blah....You have to get it in mind that this is not a diet...this is a life style change. You have to find a way that you can eat for the rest of your life, that is going to make it a long and healthy one. Trust me, if you dont think of it along those terms, you will yo-yo right back to where you started....

Start simple and build on that...It is pretty easy if you are determined to make the change...

-B

Thetasteofink69
02-27-09, 4:40 pm
If I had to take either the PB out or the Olive oil, which one should I drop?

I'd consider taking in like 1/2 tbsp of olive oil rather than 1 and 1/2

toobigfred
02-27-09, 4:55 pm
I would start by simply eating clean. Dump the sugar, and do not fast on sundays, unless it is for a good reason (reglion or something like that). Get your body used to eating that way. Dont really worry about Keto, or counting cals. Use the hand size for portion. Closed fist for carbs, open hand for protein...veggies are free...Once you do this for a few weeks (call it practice), then start cutting the cals down.

If you eat carbs, dont eat any after 3pm...Keep them clean and unrefined. Taters, sweet tatets, brown rice, whole wheats, oats..ect...

Dont get too caught up in Keto, Southbeach...blah....You have to get it in mind that this is not a diet...this is a life style change. You have to find a way that you can eat for the rest of your life, that is going to make it a long and healthy one. Trust me, if you dont think of it along those terms, you will yo-yo right back to where you started....

Start simple and build on that...It is pretty easy if you are determined to make the change...

-B

Thanks!! As for the No carbs after 3pm. I lift at around 8:30p-9pm. I can go no carbs during the day I assume.

brandonA
02-27-09, 5:54 pm
Thanks!! As for the No carbs after 3pm. I lift at around 8:30p-9pm. I can go no carbs during the day I assume.

Yea, and you may not need them pre-workout...I only eat carbs at breakfast, around 7am and i train at 5pm...Like I said, you will have to experiment with all this and find out what works for you...I notice no difference in strength levels or energy when I go zero carbs...

-B

toobigfred
02-27-09, 11:42 pm
Yea, and you may not need them pre-workout...I only eat carbs at breakfast, around 7am and i train at 5pm...Like I said, you will have to experiment with all this and find out what works for you...I notice no difference in strength levels or energy when I go zero carbs...

-B

I will try it with no carbs on monday. See how it goes. I would love trade that meal in for some more chicken.

Pizzalamp
02-27-09, 11:48 pm
I will try it with no carbs on monday. See how it goes. I would love trade that meal in for some more chicken.

i would try to change up ya protein sources too...xtra lean turkey,,,lean red meat every now and then...salmon...omega 3 eggs...as for post workout a piece of fruit like 1 bananna is good

jonschmid
02-28-09, 2:07 am
Gezzz bro, Im so sick of chicken as it is. Hope you post your recipies. I think you have an awesome meal plan there, but maybe choose some other soureces or protien as well so You dont dread eating chicken all the time. Some turkey or fish/tuna. First thing that comes to mind is maybe uping your protien intake just a bit. Second, whats up with the sugar? Try to stay away from your refined sugars as much as possible. But that plan looks great.

tec9
02-28-09, 3:04 am
Protein ---- Egg Whites , Chicken Breast , Fish , I Steak Meal , Protein Shakes

Carbs--- Oatmeal, White Rice ( After Training ) N Sumtime Potato

Every Meal Should Have Atleast 70% Protein Man Just Stick With High Protein Low Cal So If I Was You I Would Be Easy On Carbs N Shiii Stay Away Frm Pizza , Sugar N Fats

Pz

J Wong
02-28-09, 8:41 am

-B

How about post workout? Do you eat them then?

toobigfred
02-28-09, 11:56 am
i would try to change up ya protein sources too...xtra lean turkey,,,lean red meat every now and then...salmon...omega 3 eggs...as for post workout a piece of fruit like 1 bananna is good

Thanks!! I will try the banana!! I should start getting some eggs back into to diet again, I dont even know why I stopped, just kinda did.

toobigfred
02-28-09, 11:59 am
Gezzz bro, Im so sick of chicken as it is. Hope you post your recipies. I think you have an awesome meal plan there, but maybe choose some other soureces or protien as well so You dont dread eating chicken all the time. Some turkey or fish/tuna. First thing that comes to mind is maybe uping your protien intake just a bit. Second, whats up with the sugar? Try to stay away from your refined sugars as much as possible. But that plan looks great.

I will definitly change the meats up a bit, even tho my chicken is the Sh*t!! As for the sugar, I was told a while ago by a trainer that even tho he wouldnt recommend it to his clients, that if I waswanting to retain as much muscle as possible while dropping weight, I should get in a 1/4c sugar added to my shake.

How about post workout? Do you eat them then?

See above anser, I get in 65g post workout, 60 from sugar and 5 from the protein powder.

prowrestler
02-28-09, 4:07 pm
if your not lossing, eat less fats and carbs, and up the protien a lil.

id love to see you when your lean, probably be like a lean 300 pounder