PDA

View Full Version : Bulking leg workout

UzbeKodiak
02-28-09, 10:26 am
Hey please critique my leg routine.

Im doing legs thrice a week exclusively (without working other parts) to bring em up; mon, wed, fri.

fairly short workouts each session, exercises in this order:

leg press calve raise - 2x15 warmup
- 6x6

SLDL's - 1x15 warmup
- 4x6

lying hamstring curls - 1x15 warmup
- 4x6

leg extensions - 2x15 warmup
squats - 4x6
leg extensions - 4x6

I'm not too worried about the calves work. I read about how one shouldnt be working a major bodypart like the legs more than once or twice a week. Then also there is the 'give it 48 hours between sessions' rule. well i do 4 working sets for each exercise, increasing rep range from 6 to 12 before upping the weight, ie eg. mon 4x6, wed 4x8, fri 4x10 so on and so forth.

I'm pretty new to this new routine so pls let me know if i should decrease the working sets. ive not felt like ive overtrained thus far, but tell me if im doing something horribly wrong. cheers!

Pizzalamp
02-28-09, 12:24 pm
its not something i would want to do
i dont like the 1 set warm up for stiff legs...seems like a great risk for injury to the ham w/out sufficient warm ups
also i would want to do my quad work at the beginning so i have the energy for it...i wouldnt be able to give my quads enough effort if im tired from all the other stuff
also i wouldnt want to skip the rest of my body during the week

Hey please critique my leg routine.

Im doing legs thrice a week exclusively (without working other parts) to bring em up; mon, wed, fri.

fairly short workouts each session, exercises in this order:

leg press calve raise - 2x15 warmup
- 6x6

SLDL's - 1x15 warmup
- 4x6

lying hamstring curls - 1x15 warmup
- 4x6

leg extensions - 2x15 warmup
squats - 4x6
leg extensions - 4x6

I'm not too worried about the calves work. I read about how one shouldnt be working a major bodypart like the legs more than once or twice a week. Then also there is the 'give it 48 hours between sessions' rule. well i do 4 working sets for each exercise, increasing rep range from 6 to 12 before upping the weight, ie eg. mon 4x6, wed 4x8, fri 4x10 so on and so forth.

I'm pretty new to this new routine so pls let me know if i should decrease the working sets. ive not felt like ive overtrained thus far, but tell me if im doing something horribly wrong. cheers!

Littlefry
02-28-09, 1:16 pm
Do the squats at the beginning of the workout, in order to have full energy for them since they take alot out of you. Also that alot of leg work for 3x a week. I was doing 5x5 and squatting 3x a week alone and that took alot out of me. Id just stick to squats and stiff-leg deadlifts 3x a week and that should be enough.

shizz702
02-28-09, 7:35 pm
I think you would be much better off, and make better gains doing a routine like littlefry mentioned like the 5x5 where you squat 3x a week. Here's a link to it if you are interested:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5#Madcow_Intermediate_5x5

Doing an all out leg routine 3x a week is just gonna lead to overtraining your legs, you can make great gains just squatting 3x a week along with a few other basic barbell lifts coupled with it, but doing squats, leg presses, sldl, etc 3x a week would yield limited gains. I suggest a full body, 3x a week squatting routine.

AFTazz06
02-28-09, 10:42 pm
Calves should be done at the end or on a separate day, dont want to use up all your energy on calves when you have quads and hams on the same day.

prowrestler
03-01-09, 1:06 pm
legs 1 time a week,

squats, 4 sets, 6-8 reps. once you can handle the weght for 8 reps on ALL 4 sets, up it and continue this proscess.

close foot leg press, 4 sets 6-8 reps. same progress idea as squats

lunges, 15-20reps per leg, 3 sets

lying leg curls, 5 sets,6-8 reps. smae progression idea.

stiffleg deads/romainia deads. alternate weekly. 4 sets, 8-10 reps.

id do calfs on another day, do 3 sets of them today aswell though but dont consider it CALF DAY