PDA

View Full Version : beginner

DilleGomez
03-03-09, 11:53 pm
so ive been workin out for about 3 years now but havent taken it to seriously till now. im a senior in high school and i wanna bulk up for the army. heres my workout

mon- shoulders/traps
tues- biceps/triceps/forearms
wed- chest/abs
thurs-back
fri- legs
sat/sun off

max: bench-185
squat-215
dead-300
(my maxes really arnt much)

i workout 5 days in a row cuz at school i take weights as a class so i use that time to get as much done as i can even though most the time it isnt. if anyone has any pointers or tips i would appreciate it a lot thanks.

TigerAce01
03-04-09, 12:03 am
I'd move your chest and back first in the week. Your arms are secondary muscles and will be tired before you exhaust your primary muscles.That is also probably a good reason why your max lifts are a little weaker.

My split is as follows:
Mon - Chest
Tues - Back
Wed - Legs
Thu - Shoulders
Fri - Arms

-Ace

DilleGomez
03-04-09, 12:09 am
I'd move your chest and back first in the week. Your arms are secondary muscles and will be tired before you exhaust your primary muscles.That is also probably a good reason why your max lifts are a little weaker.

My split is as follows:
Mon - Chest
Tues - Back
Wed - Legs
Thu - Shoulders
Fri - Arms

-Ace

ya that makes sense.i think i might try that

rocky36
03-04-09, 12:11 am
I don't like your split, but I also understand you dont have much of choice in training 5 days in a row so with that in mind this is how i would tweak it to get the most results possible. If you wish to give each body part its own day this is how i would do it..

monday-chest,abs
tuesday-back
wednesday-shoulders, abs
thursday-arms
friday-legs

Dont forget to eat like a horse, your trying to bulk up so eat up, keep its fairly clean and high in protein and you should be set

rocky36
03-04-09, 12:13 am
tigerace01's split would work to, just another option to think about

DilleGomez
03-04-09, 12:15 am
I don't like your split, but I also understand you dont have much of choice in training 5 days in a row so with that in mind this is how i would tweak it to get the most results possible. If you wish to give each body part its own day this is how i would do it..

monday-chest,abs
tuesday-back
wednesday-shoulders, abs
thursday-arms
friday-legs

Dont forget to eat like a horse, your trying to bulk up so eat up, keep its fairly clean and high in protein and you should be set

im thinkin of splitting my back workout and doin lower back one day and upper the next. i got a home gym that can work fairly well. wat would you suggest?

rocky36
03-04-09, 12:26 am
im thinkin of splitting my back workout and doin lower back one day and upper the next. i got a home gym that can work fairly well. wat would you suggest?

What kind of stuff do you got at home? And personally if I were to split my back up and do upper one day and lower the next, I would do lower back when i trained my hams and glutes. So i would be doing deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, leg curls, and lunges all in one day. But i would also leave the Quads out and hit them another day..

DilleGomez
03-04-09, 12:29 am
What kind of stuff do you got at home? And personally if I were to split my back up and do upper one day and lower the next, I would do lower back when i trained my hams and glutes. So i would be doing deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, leg curls, and lunges all in one day. But i would also leave the Quads out and hit them another day..

i got a squat rack a bench and weights that go up to 295

rocky36
03-04-09, 12:37 am
i got a squat rack a bench and weights that go up to 295

Ok, well then this gives you a lot more options! If you still want to split your back routine up and your ok with splitting your leg routine up then give this a whirl.

day 1-chest abs
day 2-Upper back, traps
day 3- off
day 4-Hams,glutes,lower back
day 5-Arms
day 6-off
day 7-quads, calves, abs
day 8-off

then start back at day 1

Being that your taking a class in school that requires working out you could do some light cardio or something when a off day falls monday-friday

DilleGomez
03-04-09, 12:43 am
sounds good but the only problem is we only got free weights at school. so i wont be able to do leg curls or extensions with any machines

TigerAce01
03-04-09, 3:39 pm

In all essence, splitting lower back and upper back in not needed at all. If you do deadlifts, you hit almost your entire back. If you do bent over rows, you primarily hit your upper and middle back, but you still are bent over, causing the lower back to also be worked. I like to keep things simple with my workouts. Here's my back routine:

Pullups - 3 x failure (warm up)
Bent Over Rows (standard or reverse grip) - 5 x 12, 10, 8, 6, 4
One Arm DB Rows - 3 x 10, 8, 6

Deadlifts (switch up at the beginning and end of the workout week by week) - 3 x 10, 8, 6

I love this routine and it has worked for me for years. The limited number of exercises and sets allows you to remain at full intensity through the entire workout. If something isn't working for you, improvise and get it right.

-Ace

DilleGomez
03-04-09, 6:31 pm
In all essence, splitting lower back and upper back in not needed at all. If you do deadlifts, you hit almost your entire back. If you do bent over rows, you primarily hit your upper and middle back, but you still are bent over, causing the lower back to also be worked. I like to keep things simple with my workouts. Here's my back routine:

Pullups - 3 x failure (warm up)
Bent Over Rows (standard or reverse grip) - 5 x 12, 10, 8, 6, 4
One Arm DB Rows - 3 x 10, 8, 6

Deadlifts (switch up at the beginning and end of the workout week by week) - 3 x 10, 8, 6

I love this routine and it has worked for me for years. The limited number of exercises and sets allows you to remain at full intensity through the entire workout. If something isn't working for you, improvise and get it right.

-Ace

sweet thats the same routine i use now.

DilleGomez
03-04-09, 6:37 pm
today i did chest. i started with flat bench and did 135x8 to warm up then i did 155x8 then i did 175x3 followed by 180x2 and then 185x1 to end it. i tried this just to mix things up. normally its just 4 sets of 6 or 8. then i did incline, since i opened up with more flat bench than normal i could feel the stretch more and it felt pretty good. after this i did flat bench flyes 4x8 and ended with a coulpe of light sets of pullovers.

since i work out at school i ran out of time so im gunna do so ab work later tonight and mabye some cardio.
so that was my day if you see anything you dont really like let me know, im here to learn to. thanks bros

rocky36
03-04-09, 8:34 pm
You should start up a training log in the "your Journey" section. It would be a easy way for you to keep track of progress and set & rep schemes used. Just a suggestion. But your workout looked soild

DilleGomez
03-04-09, 8:46 pm
You should start up a training log in the "your Journey" section. It would be a easy way for you to keep track of progress and set & rep schemes used. Just a suggestion. But your workout looked soild

thanks man. i think ill try that