PDA

View Full Version : Push

Achilles
03-04-09, 2:33 am
So, Ive been developing a new training philosophy over the past couple month's and I would like to digress on it for a few minutes. It's evident that with-out help from the needle you have to recruit even more resources other than the fundamentals to grow.

1. Mentality . . I have removed the word "cant" from my sessions. It's apparent now the people that use cant, simply wont . . they don't want to finish the reps or the sets. Sure a triple set of 20 on leg day will leave you disoriented and faint but fuck it. If brutal leg sessions are going to get me fame and notoriety . . if they are going to set me apart from the others on stage . . then I'll do them until I cant walk out of the gym. I hear too many people complain about legs, or complain about diet. This isn't for everyone, if your mind isn't strong enough you can walk out the same door you came in, or there might be a box of feathers in the back . . maybe you can lift that.

2. What do you want, and what are you willing to do to get it ? I love this ethos, when you wake up in the A.M. ask yourself this question, think and think hard on it. Do you know what you want from your training ? Can you commit to the intense training ? Can you eat what you need when your supposed to ? Are you willing to sacrifice and say "what ever it takes I'll just go through with it" a lot of people cant do this. Next time it gets hard, just remember the initial statement . .

3. Push against the barrier . . People become comfortable in their training, with a certain weight . . rep scheme .. etc. This stands in direct opposition to growth, If I can do 315 for 7 this week on deads, I'm gonna push for 8 next week. It's gonna hurt, It's gonna make me lite-headed but fuck it, what ever it takes. So what if you miss a lift, you have next week .. if your not pushing, your not gonna grow. Id also like to mention the part timers with a monster bench and little legs, that's great you can bench 400lbs captain, but your squat doesn't even make 350. Be complete, make yourself uncomfortable, let the weight humble you down. Be completely strong, don't be a part timer in a full time game.

4. Isolation from negativity . . If you tell yourself you cant, then you probably wont . . I personally think you don't even deserve to. Isolate yourself from negative people and the contagious disease that spews from their mouth when they speak. You have to remain positive at all times. I could be wrong here, but in theory a negative person draws positive energy away from it's source. These people are generally unhappy and I have no room for them and their corrosive thoughts. Stay positive in all aspects of your training and your life, esp in this one where it's a constant struggle for improvement. There will be set backs and bad days but you will be amazed how much a positive attitude and outlook will change things.

5. Wade through the dead . . Most people in my opinion are physically alive but mentally dead, they lack passion .. they are followers, sheep. I hear it too often in the gym, people will think this, they will say that. Fuck those people, when your in the gym the others that occupy it do not exist. Pay no attention to them, I'm here to train .. and no I don't care about your day or your life in this precious 120mins I'm dedicating to self destruction. The music you hear, the cutie in the pink shorts, the stares from people when your training is a little to intense. None of this matters, the only thing that matters now is you and the weight .. YOU. AND. THE. WEIGHT.

6. Do not be afraid to ask for help, try new set or rep combination's. Try new routines, ask people who know more than you about it. You can never know to much, combine all the little things you learn THAT WORK FOR YOU and forget the rest. Take all these things, develop them into a schematic and use them for your continued growth and success.

7. Get away from it . . take a day (preferably an off day) and do something entirely unrelated you enjoy. I like taking my dog for a long walk in the mountains, fishing . . driving my car ect. It wont kill you to do something else you enjoy, Ive seen to many times some hardcore Iron workers burn out. Clear your head, then you can come back fully focused and ready to train the next day.

These are the guiding principals that have helped me tremendously in my training over the past couple month's. If they are of any use to you, I'm glad I could help

atrain11b
03-04-09, 7:30 am
Thanks for posting this. It hits home for me at a crucial point. I plan to incorporate this post into my way of doing things! It definitely got me thinking, with number 1 and 2 hitting the hardest.

wedge
03-04-09, 8:48 am
Good post Achilles. It's all about the attitude.
To paraphrase Machine..."When you can't see straight and everyone sounds like a cartoon, remember I've been there too."

Giant Killer
03-04-09, 10:37 am
Great shit posted here Achilles.

BB
03-04-09, 3:54 pm
awesome post...keeping it down to earth, good stuff

Ricky P
03-04-09, 4:18 pm
Really enjoyed that post big man, good shit.

Bartles
03-04-09, 4:59 pm
Just the ass dragon I needed bro. Just took a week and a half break since I was seriously ill, reading this kicked me in gear mentally for todays workout.

Good thoughts, thanks for sharing.

Achilles
03-14-09, 1:04 am
While working arms tonight, I thought about something. Some guys go into the gym with a chip on their shoulder, you know angry and such. Which I personally have done more than a few times. I have recently been clearing my head before my training. My gym is pretty private and usually desolate . . In a basement (so no windows). I turn off the lights, sit in the blackness and focus, I feel the muscles I'm going to train. So on every rep I am really focused on how the muscle feels. I try to as accurately as possible inflict concentrated stress on that particular muscle using strict form and manageable weight. I close off all thoughts of anything around me, I shut up all other thoughts in my head. Deploying this method as of late has increased my strength gains substantially. I also recommend a slow negative as well as positive on every rep. Watch Dorian Yates in blood and guts for a more accurate description

G Diesel
03-18-09, 5:04 pm
Great post, Achilles... I love where your head's at. Keep putting your thoughts on wax here for all of us to share in and contemplate.

Peace, G

mritter3
03-18-09, 7:28 pm
hey achilles nice post bro, its a great read

RUEHS
03-19-09, 10:56 am
niiice man, I am totally with you on #1, #3, and #5!

Achilles
03-20-09, 2:20 am
I'm awake at 2:00am bros, Not because I cant sleep . . because I'm fucking hungry. This beast I have wrapped around my skeleton demands fuel. If there is one thing I cant stress enough, If your not eating your not gonna grow. I see it all the time, someone will bust their ass in the gym and eat like a bird. I honestly wish people would quit thinking there is some kind of secret. I love it, people ask me "what are you taking ?" or "I bought this new (insert fancy product name here) and I'm gonna get huge". I hate to break your heart but no your not with out food player. Supplementation without food is like laying bricks without mortar, If anyone keeps up on my post, I'm not so much concerned with how I look since my body fat is Chronically low anyway. I'm talking I'm on a quest to reach 200lbs. So, here is my mass meal of the night. A four egg omelet split in half, with a slice of ham (fried) 2 pieces of cheese on wheat bread. (Makes a sandwich about 4" tall) I eat 2 of these bad boys a day along with everything else. You need to eat 4x as hard as you train, If your hungry as your reading this . . your not eating enough.

Ricky P
03-20-09, 3:14 am
While working arms tonight, I thought about something. Some guys go into the gym with a chip on their shoulder, you know angry and such. Which I personally have done more than a few times. I have recently been clearing my head before my training. My gym is pretty private and usually desolate . . In a basement (so no windows). I turn off the lights, sit in the blackness and focus, I feel the muscles I'm going to train. So on every rep I am really focused on how the muscle feels. I try to as accurately as possible inflict concentrated stress on that particular muscle using strict form and manageable weight. I close off all thoughts of anything around me, I shut up all other thoughts in my head. Deploying this method as of late has increased my strength gains substantially. I also recommend a slow negative as well as positive on every rep. Watch Dorian Yates in blood and guts for a more accurate description

Not trying to blow smoke up your ass on this, but I feel the same way. When I lock myself into this mode that you're talking about, it's almost like my gains double. It's back to basics, concentrate on the rep and your gains will increase. When I first heard it I took it with a grain of salt, but once I tried it I saw the amazing effects it had on my gains. It's very true, concentrate and squeeze out each contraction and you will make gains much quicker. Love these posts my man, keep 'em comin'.

Ardent
09-30-09, 11:48 pm
Great read. Very motivating, not only for hitting the iron but life in general. It hit me the right way at the right time, Thanks.