PDA

View Full Version : Recovery/Rest

ryanvs
03-04-09, 5:42 pm
Hi all, just after a bit of advice regarding recovery. Over the past week I've been experiencing some pain in my left shoulder, not muscular, but joint. I first noticed it during shoulder day last week, then on chest day it felt like it was giving out.
It is cause of this I feel it mught be a good idea to take a week off just to let it heal so it doesn't get any worse. I don't really want to as I feel I have been making great progress lately. My diet and training are both spot on, and I've been making great gains, thus why it is a bit dissapointing to have a 'forced' rest. So i guess my question is, will a week off have a negative impact, as in, will i lose some of what I've gained. Also at the moment i weigh 204 and consume 4500 approx calories per day to bulk. How many calories should I consume during my weeks rest? Just drop my post workout meal? Or drop them down to maintenance level. Like I said I'm just worried to lose what I've gained. Any help greatlt appreciated.

ryanvs
03-04-09, 7:47 pm
bump

Tron
03-04-09, 9:09 pm
To be honest, 2-3 weeks off won't do any negative effects for you. It's possible that you could be even stronger coming back. Plus it's better to rest if you hurt something than to push through it and hurt yourself permanently.

Rest as much as ya need to... if you lift make sure it's nothing that works in conjunction with it (Like if it's a shoulder, only do arms and legs... don't do chest or back).

ryanvs
03-05-09, 12:32 am
Ok, cool, thanks for advice

getapump
03-05-09, 12:50 am
keep your calories the same there pimpin'. thats what i would do anyway. if youre concerned about becoming a lil pudgy around the midsection 3 or 4 early am cardio sessions a week at 20-30 minutes per, should help keep any excess fat off. and for an injury, no a week wont amount to jack shit in the grander scheme of things.be smart, dont hurt yourself. good luck.

mark
03-05-09, 4:57 am
a week off once a month= continuous gains

However, i wouldn't say that joint pain is always a sign of taking a week off... because if it was, i would always be taking every week off.

Tron
03-05-09, 3:31 pm
a week off once a month= continuous gains

I don't believe that's not necessarily true... G Diesel I believe has gone pretty well years without a week off, and I'd say he's made some good gains. As long as you vary the intensity and make sure that nothing gets stagnant... eat right... sleep right... You'll get gains. But if that changes, then definitely you need to take that week off. It's more varying between the individual. Some bodies respond differently from others.

But taking one week off to heal up won't hurt at all, and probably result in better gains.

IRBS
03-05-09, 4:01 pm
I don't believe that's not necessarily true... G Diesel I believe has gone pretty well years without a week off, and I'd say he's made some good gains. As long as you vary the intensity and make sure that nothing gets stagnant... eat right... sleep right... You'll get gains. But if that changes, then definitely you need to take that week off. It's more varying between the individual. Some bodies respond differently from others.

But taking one week off to heal up won't hurt at all, and probably result in better gains.

I believe mark's point was this: If you have legitimate joint issues, the ONLY way for it to get any better is to schedule time off in your training schedule.

A week off every 4-8 weeks will in no way hinder your gains...unless you happen to be in the final stages of a bodybuilding show prep or in your final weeks leading up to a Powerlifting meet. But for the majority of lifters, taking scheduled time off, or at a minimum a down week every 4-8 weeks is a good thing.

If you dont train smart, you wont be training very long...

wedge
03-05-09, 4:38 pm
If you don't train smart, you wont be training very long...

Very wise words. Listen to your body.

Semprini
03-05-09, 5:00 pm
Some very good points made here. I had to take last week off because I came down with something and was ralphin for 3 days straight. I came back a little stronger this week, its a good feeling.

ryanvs
03-05-09, 5:17 pm
Thaks all for help/advice. I'll just take it easy next week, maybe just some light cardio.
Thanks guys