PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli on fire!!

Variable
03-05-09, 8:17 pm
so while my chicken is cookin, i rinse and heat up some broccoli by itself in the microwave.

after 20-30 seconds of cooking i can see
-SPARKS and
-FIRE!!!

When i take it out i see a noticeably charred area.

Its the same effect as steel wool or foil would have.

Anyone else experience this??

AFTazz06
03-05-09, 8:23 pm
Probably not a good idea to microwave broccoli.

Feel The Power
03-05-09, 8:25 pm
hmm... I'm not sure if I ever noticed this before. I usually buy the frozen bags of broccoli, put it in a microwave safe bowl, put in about 1/4 water in the bowl, cover it, and steam it for about 3-4 mins. Its always turned out ok for me. Maybe the water helps.. I'm not really sure, I'd have to ask mr. wizard.

DANO
03-05-09, 8:26 pm
so while my chicken is cookin, i rinse and heat up some broccoli by itself in the microwave.

after 20-30 seconds of cooking i can see
-SPARKS and
-FIRE!!!

When i take it out i see a noticeably charred area.

Its the same effect as steel wool or foil would have.

Anyone else experience this??

Next time don't use the microwave you got from Chernobil! hahaha.
seriously, I have never heard of this... weird.

Variable
03-05-09, 8:35 pm
i figured with the rinse beforehand there is enough water for the microwave to do its job properly.

maybe since its just wet broccoli on a plate by itself it doesn't have enough moisture to keep the fuel (broccoli) from combusting.

if you wanna try it yourself its fresh broccoli, rinsed in water, and microwaved by itself on a plate for 20-30 seconds.

Little Z
03-05-09, 9:00 pm
i figured with the rinse beforehand there is enough water for the microwave to do its job properly.

maybe since its just wet broccoli on a plate by itself it doesn't have enough moisture to keep the fuel (broccoli) from combusting.

if you wanna try it yourself its fresh broccoli, rinsed in water, and microwaved by itself on a plate for 20-30 seconds.

i think ill pass on the pyro adventures bro. hahah.. that is weird tho, i have never seen that happen.. and i enjoy me some broccoli..

wedge
03-05-09, 9:01 pm
That's a new one for me.

jeff00z28
03-05-09, 9:07 pm
try a steamer bag for the microwave

AFTazz06
03-05-09, 11:40 pm
Buy them frozen, they're fresh, then all you gotta do is boil them for about 1-2mins and they're done. No fireworks!

NJC_Manhattan
03-05-09, 11:47 pm
Broccoli Fire? hmmm.... Maybe lower the power setting on your micro? Not sure how to handle this one

GJN5002
03-06-09, 12:05 pm
onviously broccoli is not a combustable things so i think there must of been something on the broccoli, maybe some unwanted residue from when it was packed.

adidas
03-06-09, 12:43 pm
you guys must not watch much foodnetwork...especially the Food Science show they have.

you can not micro wave:

carrots fresh, brocolli fresh or a few other fresh veggies, because of the minerals in them...seriousely.

water for too long either, as it wont boil, because it will be past the boiling temp...but will be hot enough to break the vessle it is in, if soemthing cold is placed in it.

NO JOKE

look it up on the Foodnetwork site.

pmug0000
03-06-09, 12:58 pm
Something similar happened to me a while ago.
I was re-heating some broccoli that I had previously steamed and in the microwave I could actually see little 'bolts' zapping the broccoli and it was making a fucked up sound. I let it go for a about 20 seconds until a piece caught on fire.
When I took it out it was all charred. But it had a nice smokey flavor.

C.Coronato
03-06-09, 4:15 pm
you guys must not watch much foodnetwork...especially the Food Science show they have.

you can not micro wave:

carrots fresh, brocolli fresh or a few other fresh veggies, because of the minerals in them...seriousely.

water for too long either, as it wont boil, because it will be past the boiling temp...but will be hot enough to break the vessle it is in, if soemthing cold is placed in it.

NO JOKE

look it up on the Foodnetwork site.

Truth. On the water as well. You can actually heat it past the boiling point, so there are zero bubbles. Then you put something like tea or instant coffee and your scorched for life. it explodes literally.

adidas
03-06-09, 4:30 pm
Truth. On the water as well. You can actually heat it past the boiling point, so there are zero bubbles. Then you put something like tea or instant coffee and your scorched for life. it explodes literally.

did you see the episode...they actually covered both the water issue and the veggie issue in the same show.

very interesting.

fenix237
03-06-09, 5:12 pm
yeah, i saw that show as well. something about the water not having any movement, and it get way hotter than boiling point. then, as was said, you pick the glass up, or put something in it and it erupts violently. i saw an example where the water hit the ceiling!

be careful fellas!

Rambo, John J.
03-06-09, 6:40 pm
It's actually distilled water that would do that in the microwave because it has no impurities in it. If you put 1 cup of distilled, 1 cup of tap in the microwave, the tap water would eventually boil, the distilled would not. Once you add something to the distilled, such as a sugar cube, tea bag, spoon, etc...That's when it violently reacts and "explodes".

cogz
03-09-09, 12:40 am
there was actually frozen vegetables in a bag, i believe a steamer version not sure, where when it was put in the microwave it would start sparking, they researched the vegetables and said that it was due to the minerals in the vegetables. (this was actually on the news) i am sure that it can happen to fresh vegetables as well. Just steam the broccolli in a little water in a pan it takes just as long as microwaving it, and u can reheat it in the pan with some healthy fat oil