PDA

View Full Version : Love handles

oTANKo
03-07-09, 2:49 am
So I am 6'3" 260lbs I need to be at 230lbs. Growing up i was the fat kid so i have always had love handles i look ok-ish from the front but from the back i look like a totally different person (fat man). If any one has any good routines plz help. BTW i do ab workouts and work out super hardcore its just a troubled area.

prowrestler
03-07-09, 3:06 am
So I am 6'3" 260lbs I need to be at 230lbs. Growing up i was the fat kid so i have always had love handles i look ok-ish from the front but from the back i look like a totally different person (fat man). If any one has any good routines plz help. BTW i do ab workouts and work out super hardcore its just a troubled area.

2 choices

-diet and cardio

- lipo suction

Levent79
03-07-09, 5:06 am
-diet and cardio

x2 on that + cuts

Semprini
03-07-09, 5:59 am
definitely can be accomplished without lipo... Your sig, eat workout eat eat eat... switch that, you can do it

Levent79
03-07-09, 9:47 am
Your sig, eat workout eat eat eat... switch that, you can do it
lol it should be something like eat workout cardio cardio cardio

MrMonday
03-07-09, 9:54 am
Consume 400 grams of protein daily to retain muscle mass, convert all simple carbohydrates in your diet to complex carbohydrates (vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal, etc.), avoid sugar like the plague, drink at least a gallon of water a day, and do 45 minutes of some type of cardio every day.

I would aim to lose those 30lbs in 5 months. Keep track of the weight you're losing at the end of every week, or every other week, and make changes to the amount of fat and carbohydrates you're taking in when NECESSARY to facilitate an appropriate rate of fat loss.

Good luck.

joelast
03-07-09, 11:33 pm
No such thing as spot reduction bro, cardio and diet

Tron
03-08-09, 12:38 am
Diet is probably close to 70% of it... check the diet section and look at some cut diets... That'll be the best resource you can find.

Geronimo
07-22-09, 9:50 am
I have been trainng my abs since I was 7 years old....I have done a lot of abs over the yeas...and I mean a lot. I have been doing martial art since I have been 7 and ever since training those abs has been a part of training as you can imagine.
Now, I am 6'4" and weigh about 207lbs. A year and a half ago I weighed 182lbs, so I have gained some weight over the last time. Also, I switched from working construction to an office desk job and so the love handles came...
I just wanted to ask if, besides my diet of course and cardio, are there any excersises that mainly hit the lower abs and love handles. ( I've been used to training the upper abs, since I needed protection there during kickboxing)....
thanks everybody!

Dedicated
07-22-09, 11:46 am
The short answer? Yes there are exercises but they probably won't help you. Whenever you work out a muscle, you're just producing more muscle, not necessarily reducing the fat that's there. There's a lot of debate about the spot reduction of fat, but when it comes down to it, just lower your bodyfat with cardio and diet, and eventually the abs will appear. You don't want to keep working muscles like your obliques because gaining too much muscle can ruin your V and cause you to look like a walking box.

To answer the original question, there's about a million different exercises you could do. Leg lifts, bicycles, etc. Just do a Google search and see what's out there.

GJN5002
07-22-09, 1:19 pm
as stated there are excercises but your best bet is to lose some fat

strivin for more
07-22-09, 2:33 pm
agreed with all the above.

quoting what ive read hear a million times before; "abs are made in the kitchen and the treadmill, not the weightroom."

MVP
07-22-09, 3:32 pm
Consume 400 grams of protein daily to retain muscle mass, convert all simple carbohydrates in your diet to complex carbohydrates (vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal, etc.), avoid sugar like the plague, drink at least a gallon of water a day, and do 45 minutes of some type of cardio every day.

I would aim to lose those 30lbs in 5 months. Keep track of the weight you're losing at the end of every week, or every other week, and make changes to the amount of fat and carbohydrates you're taking in when NECESSARY to facilitate an appropriate rate of fat loss.

Good luck.

400g of protein is going to get converted into glucose and affect ketosis. He'll only need about 2g of protein for every kg of bodyweight. Too much protein can be hard on the kidneys and influence kidney stones.

whosnexttt
07-22-09, 4:08 pm

Good luck.

400 grams of protein a day!! lol thats good to target but thats almost impossible to get...i mean i dont even get in that much protein.....

remember its not about how much protein you eat, its the quality, you have to know your proteins, getting proteins from bread is totally different from getting proteins from red meat

OklahomaMuscle
07-22-09, 4:19 pm
400 grams of protein a day!! lol thats good to target but thats almost impossible to get...i mean i dont even get in that much protein.....

remember its not about how much protein you eat, its the quality, you have to know your proteins, getting proteins from bread is totally different from getting proteins from red meat

While quality does matter when cutting you definitely need more, and I think you are underestimating how much. The cutting diet I am following for the iron contest is over 400g of protein a day, and and that's just whole food. 400 is definitely doable, especially if you use supplements. With as strong as your numbers are I would have guessed you used much more protein than that...

Brutus_515
07-22-09, 4:22 pm
Most males hold bodyfat there mostly or in the front...I hold it in the back its always there if i get about 16%bf it just takes some cardio....I dont think there is such thing as site specific fat loss...your body sheds fat like an onion (layers over the whole body) but when I do hyper extensions I for a show or just to tighten things up I use a rod weighted or a stick what ever is available I rotate at the highest point of the movement it gets alot of blood across the whole lower back and in a few weeks they go away. granted my diet is clean and i am doing moderate cardio (2-3 times a week) with higher level of intensity. when you get to about 12-13%bf love handles tend to go away....it works for me its just stubborn but I fluxuate from 33 inch waist to a 28 when I get to about 10% bf.

MVP
07-22-09, 4:23 pm
While quality does matter when cutting you definitely need more, and I think you are underestimating how much. The cutting diet I am following for the iron contest is over 400g of protein a day, and and that's just whole food. 400 is definitely doable, especially if you use supplements. With as strong as your numbers are I would have guessed you used much more protein than that...

I don't believe a natural lifter should consume that much protein. According the American Council on Exercise and the science behind their writing. An athlete should only consume 2g of protein for every kg of bodyweight. Anything more can affect the usage of carbohydrates and be converted as glucose, be stored as fat, or be hard on the kidney's.

It's just like a trip, if it takes 20 gallons of gas to get there, I get 10 gallons and you get 20, we'll both get there of course, but you wasted more money.

OklahomaMuscle
07-22-09, 4:30 pm
I don't believe a natural lifter should consume that much protein. According the American Council on Exercise and the science behind their writing. An athlete should only consume 2g of protein for every kg of bodyweight. Anything more can affect the usage of carbohydrates and be converted as glucose, be stored as fat, or be hard on the kidney's.

It's just like a trip, if it takes 20 gallons of gas to get there, I get 10 gallons and you get 20, we'll both get there of course, but you wasted more money.

I understand you choose research over experience and I respect that...but your analogy makes me smile...if it takes 20 gallons of gas to get there, and you take 10 and I take 20, as in your story(see above), you don't get there. You said yourself it takes 20 gallons to get there...and you only took 10

Thanks for the info from ACE

MVP
07-22-09, 4:40 pm
I understand you choose research over experience and I respect that...but your analogy makes me smile...if it takes 20 gallons of gas to get there, and you take 10 and I take 20, as in your story(see above), you don't get there. You said yourself it takes 20 gallons to get there...and you only took 10

Thanks for the info from ACE

Eh, I didn't realize I mentioned the trip would take 20 gallons.

I'm positive 400g of protein would work, but the story's moral (even though a bad example) was that 200g would too. A lot of health risks involved, protein is believed to be a principle cause of kidney stones.

OklahomaMuscle
07-22-09, 4:58 pm
Eh, I didn't realize I mentioned the trip would take 20 gallons.

I'm positive 400g of protein would work, but the story's moral (even though a bad example) was that 200g would too. A lot of health risks involved, protein is believed to be a principle cause of kidney stones.

It's all good, would have been a great example. You're correct 200 grams "could" work, although the other factors would have to be addressed. Diet is a very difficult and personalized field, I am of the opinion that no two people have exactly the same caloric needs whether bulking or cutting. You have to figure out what works for you. Currently I'm getting help in that from a Very qualified and battle tested veteran in Ragingmuscle here on the forvm. Your advice is typically very sound, but be careful not to completely discount all other theories to push your own. ACE is a fairly solid organization but many organizations push advice/theories that do not apply to everyone. As someone who is studying to be a PT you will see this alot. You obviously enjoy helping people, which I respect, but don't be quick to judge or to push people one way or another, like your example said (kind of) its a journey there are many paths, some quick, some longer, some more efficient than others, but we each must choose which path to travel. Do what you do man

whosnexttt
07-22-09, 4:58 pm

i never in my life got in 400g of protein in 1 day lol.....i only get in about maybe 150-250g protein per day....you just have to know which protein source works the best, and my diet is consisted of fats and red meat

you can eat 400g of protein daily and still look like a stick

just keep it simple, train hard, little cardio, red meat once a day, 4-6 meals a day and your good, some people are just genetically gifted, and if you have to take in 400g of protein per day....shit.....idk what to say but thats alot of protein lol

MVP
07-22-09, 5:02 pm
It's all good, would have been a great example. You're correct 200 grams "could" work, although the other factors would have to be addressed. Diet is a very difficult and personalized field, I am of the opinion that no two people have exactly the same caloric needs whether bulking or cutting.

The only factor I could see that would influence it is metabolism. Which is the rate your body uses energy, and since protein is not a primary source of energy and having it being used as energy is something you would want to avoid it wouldn't factor into that equation.

You have to figure out what works for you. Currently I'm getting help in that from a Very qualified and battle tested veteran in Ragingmuscle here on the forvm. Your advice is typically very sound, but be careful not to completely discount all other theories to push your own. ACE is a fairly solid organization but many organizations push advice/theories that do not apply to everyone.

I agree that what they say don't apply to everyone. I've read plenty of "don't squat past parallel" and "rep range determines hypertrophy and hypertrophy type - myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic" but protein is used to repair body tissue. So the quality would be important.

OklahomaMuscle
07-22-09, 5:02 pm
I have been trainng my abs since I was 7 years old....I have done a lot of abs over the yeas...and I mean a lot. I have been doing martial art since I have been 7 and ever since training those abs has been a part of training as you can imagine.
Now, I am 6'4" and weigh about 207lbs. A year and a half ago I weighed 182lbs, so I have gained some weight over the last time. Also, I switched from working construction to an office desk job and so the love handles came...
I just wanted to ask if, besides my diet of course and cardio, are there any excersises that mainly hit the lower abs and love handles. ( I've been used to training the upper abs, since I needed protection there during kickboxing)....
thanks everybody!

ok you've asked for exercises for the lower abs off the top of my head: leg lifts, different crunch variations, try rope cable crunches, all will hit the lower abs. But like the others before diet/cardio is where you will make the most progress. No matter how you build the muscle underneath if that fats covering it, you are still gonna have those love handles.

MVP
07-22-09, 5:06 pm
Isn't love handles slang for slight obesity around the external obliques?

OklahomaMuscle
07-22-09, 5:09 pm
Isn't love handles slang for slight obesity around the external obliques?

Technically yes, but obese is also used as a term to describe the height/weight ratios of many bodybuilders. It's never simple...haha

MrMonday
07-22-09, 6:11 pm
The problem with relying on "research" to determine how you eat and train is that science has always trailed behind those in the trenches.

And in fact, there have never been any long-term bodybuilding studies done, and in the case of the 2g per kg of bodyweight protein recommendation for example, that number was found by determining what the MINIMUM amount of protein was that could be consumed before breakdown set in. It was not a study that can tell us what the ideal amount of protein to eat for gaining muscle is, and in regards to this thread it wasn't a study that can tell us the best way to maintain muscle while on a bodybuilding cut either.

It is like saying the ideal amount of calories for athletes to consume is BW in pounds x 14, because anything under that is detrimental, and eating more than that can lead to heart/respiratory and metabolic problems. You can see how this wouldn't apply to bodybuilders or anyone trying to gain muscle and strength.

A century of experience and anecdotal evidence has shown us that a high protein diet is important for gaining muscle, and especially important during a cut.

MVP
07-22-09, 6:57 pm
The problem with relying on "research" to determine how you eat and train is that science has always trailed behind those in the trenches.

And in fact, there have never been any long-term bodybuilding studies done, and in the case of the 2g per kg of bodyweight protein recommendation for example, that number was found by determining what the MINIMUM amount of protein was that could be consumed before breakdown set in. It was not a study that can tell us what the ideal amount of protein to eat for gaining muscle is, and in regards to this thread it wasn't a study that can tell us the best way to maintain muscle while on a bodybuilding cut either.

It is like saying the ideal amount of calories for athletes to consume is BW in pounds x 14, because anything under that is detrimental, and eating more than that can lead to heart/respiratory and metabolic problems. You can see how this wouldn't apply to bodybuilders or anyone trying to gain muscle and strength.

A century of experience and anecdotal evidence has shown us that a high protein diet is important for gaining muscle, and especially important during a cut.

It was not at minimum. The minimum was 1.5g of protein. It was anywhere from 1.5-2g of protein for every kg of bodyweight, backed with a study of how extra protein has negative effects.

GJN5002
07-22-09, 10:11 pm
lets see some research rather than arguing about who's "study" is correct. Im not saying either of you are wrong, just that we are arguing abou studies with no evidence to examine.

Pizzalamp
07-22-09, 10:22 pm
some great moves for the lower abs are reverse crunches done on a decline bench...and bench knee tucks

for obliques i like russian twist w med ball

and for the upper abs rope crunches are cool

planks are good for the core too

add in some cardio...clean up the diet...and train hard..and watch the love handles melt off

MVP
07-22-09, 10:25 pm
some great moves for the lower abs are reverse crunches done on a decline bench...and bench knee tucks

for obliques i like russian twist w med ball

and for the upper abs rope crunches are cool

planks are good for the core too

add in some cardio...clean up the diet...and train hard..and watch the love handles melt off

As long as you avoid sit ups. In a recent study they found sit ups put too much strain on the lower back and hip flexsors (which are worked really in every ab movement), but the top five abdominal exercises were...

Bicycle Maneuver

Captain's Chair

Crunch on Exercise Ball

Vertical Crunch

Reverse Crunch

barbell
07-29-09, 6:54 am

Good luck.

Bro you having those love handles..diet is definitely most important then cardio, for diet I reckon try Dave Palumbos "Keto". Assuming your carb sensitive, you cut back on carbs and increase your protein and healthy fats; youre body ends up using the fats as fuel. I got the same love handle problem as you and on the "keto" I can see a big change in fat loss.
I'll give you his guideline for a 200lb+ male. You can tweak it to suit you.
NOTE: Big Evan Centopani took tup the "keto" thing.

OFFSEASON MASS DIET(200lb+ male)

**Sandwich the pre and post-workout shake around your workout (wherever that may fall)

***you can have unlimited vegetables with your meals

MEAL 1:
6 whole eggs (buy the OMEGA-3 EGGS they sell in the supermarket) with 1 cup of Oatmeal (cooked)

MEAL 2: (pre-workout)
SHAKE: 55g Whey Protein** with 40g Waxy Maize*** (high molecular weight carbohydrate) with 1 tablespoon of Macadamia Nut Oil

GYM: WEIGHT TRAINING

MEAL 3: (post-workout)
SHAKE: 55g Whey Protein** with 50g Waxy Maize*** (high molecular weight carbohydrate).

MEAL 4:
“LEAN PROTEIN MEAL” 8oz (cooked) of chicken (or turkey or lean fish or shrimp)-- with ˝ cup cashew nuts (or almonds or walnuts) with 1 cup (cooked) RICE (brown)

MEAL 5:
“FATTY PROTEIN MEAL” 8oz (cooked) of red meat (or salmon or swordfish) with a salad with 2 tablespoon of olive oil (or macadamia nut oil) and vinegar with 1 baked potato and/or yam

MEAL 6: Repeat One of Above

MEAL 7: 5 whole eggs

+++++ All meals are interchangeable. You can substitute one for another.

*** Cook your eggs in MACADAMIA NUT OIL and add a tablespoon to all your chicken fish, meats--

***ONCE or TWICE A WEEK, HAVE A CHEAT MEAL (make it the last meal of the day)

Here's my high protein/moderate fat/low carb ketogenic diet:

For a 200lb+ Man

MEAL #1
5 whole Omega-3 Eggs (with 4 additional whites)

MEAL #2
SHAKE: 54g Whey Protein Isolate*** with 1.5 Tablespoon of All Natural PB

MEAL #3
“Lean Protein Meal” 7oz (cooked) chicken (or Turkey, or Tuna, or tilapia, flounder, or cod) with 1/3-cup RAW almonds, cashews or walnuts

MEAL #4
SHAKE: 54g Whey Protein Isolate with 1 ˝ tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
“Fatty Protein Meal” 7oz (cooked) Salmon, Swordfish, or 8oz RED MEAT (filet mignon, or top round cut) with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
SHAKE: 54g Whey with 1 ˝ tablespoon all natural peanut butter OR 4 whole Omega-3 eggs

*****MEAL ORDER IS UNIMPORTANT. ALL MEALS ARE EQUAL.

***ONCE A WEEK, HAVE A CHEAT MEAL (instead of MEAL #6) – try to make it the last meal of the day (start after 2 weeks on the diet)

Hope this helps man

Pistola
07-29-09, 1:39 pm
Cardio first thing in the am followed by a PM session.
Exercises:

Flutter kicks
Hanging leg raises
Saxon side bend
Twisting sit-ups.

If your diet is clean and your cardio is on point, knock out this ab routine. 2 sets of 15 then work ur way up. But none of it will work if your diet aint on point

robleamy
07-29-09, 9:11 pm
diet and cardio x 10 im in the same boat you are dude.