PDA

View Full Version : ratio of the big three.

strivin for more
03-07-09, 3:57 pm
whats goin on guys? i was wonderin the typical or average ratio each excersise should be to the other? like 400 squat to 350 dead to 250 bench in a _-_-_ ratio? just wondering.

jeff00z28
03-07-09, 5:11 pm
i can deadlift almost 2x as much as i can bench, and can squat about 120 less than deadlift. so there is rly not a ratio.

GJN5002
03-07-09, 5:56 pm
depends on body type and inherent strenghts. some peopl ereally like benching so they will have a big bench same with squat deads etc.

shizz702
03-07-09, 6:34 pm
From what I gather the majority of intermediate and advanced lifters almost always deadlift more than they squat, and obviously bench less than they squat.

The only reason one would bench more than they pull or squat is simply not being trained for the squat or deadlift.

Personally I deadlift well over a 100 more than I squat, and bench about 80-90 lbs less than I squat. As said though it depends, some people, especially those with short arms and legs squat more than they pull where as people like me with long arms and legs pull more. But as said most people pull more than they squat, because the deadlift used more musculature than any other lift.

mark
03-07-09, 11:06 pm
your deadlift should be 141.2% of your squat

your squat should be 363.9% of your body weight

Your shoulder press should be 72.6% of your bench

in other words, there is no magic ratio, just get strong and don't worry about petty shit that doesn't make a difference

joelast
03-07-09, 11:37 pm
My buddies who are competitive powerlifters usually deadlift right around their squat, within 50lbs plus or minus. And the bench about 60-70% of that. So one kid squats 550, pulls 525 and benchs 370.

Tron
03-08-09, 12:35 am
My buddies who are competitive powerlifters usually deadlift right around their squat, within 50lbs plus or minus. And the bench about 60-70% of that. So one kid squats 550, pulls 525 and benchs 370.

That sounds about right, but really there is no magic number. You're going to have (like said earlier) different body styles... People with longer arms will have a harder time on bench, but an easy easy time on the deads... I'm the opposite... my arms are about 4 inches shorter in wingspan than my height... So it's bench all the way for me. But it's almost always Squats, Deads, then Bench.

jonschmid
03-08-09, 1:39 am
Man. I never heard of a ratio. as witht the other posts, everyone is different.Different genitic gifts, faults, fiber types, ect. But if find out there really are ratios let me know. Would be interesting.

MightyMouse666
03-11-09, 8:33 am
I actually bench more than I squat or deadlift. Pathetic, I know. This could be for a variety of reasons. 1) neglect in my earlier years. 2) body type perhaps? I'm about 5'2" and 1/2, 165/170. [Raw] bench is 405, squat probably around 400 (I don't go to 1RM), deadlift 370 right now. I'm not worried about this, seeing as I'm not a powerlifter. My point is, don't worry about a ratio. Why would you if you want all 3 lifts to be as high as possible?

mritter3
03-11-09, 8:44 am
hey bro, don't know about any ratio, but i would assume that the deadlift would be the heavyiest, followed by the squat and then the bench. not sure how close they all should be?

theharjmann
03-11-09, 10:00 am
whats goin on guys? i was wonderin the typical or average ratio each excersise should be to the other? like 400 squat to 350 dead to 250 bench in a _-_-_ ratio? just wondering.

its all about how many muscles and joints are working. The more joints, the more muscles therefore the more weight u can lift.

The bicep curl is a single elbow joint exercise, so u can hardly lift anything

So:

BENCH
Shoulder Joint
Elbow Joint

SQUAT
Hip Joint
Knee Joint

DEADLIFT
Hip Joint
Knee Joint
Shoulder Joint
Elbow Joint (to some extent)

So...from this, i would assume one can squat more than they bench and deadlift more than they squat.

That is the case with me and a lot of guys who have posted.

On the other hand, powerlifters etc have certain techniques of lifting different from bodybuilders whereby they can maybe squat more than they deadlift....that doesnt mean that they are using their legs only in the lift...they are using everything, including their arms somehow!

JeremyT
03-11-09, 11:51 am
I could never dead lift more then I squat I don't think. My numbers are pitiful. My squat is 300, my dl is 270, and my bench is 125. My chest is WEAK. No matter how hard I work it, its still the weakest part. I swear I will be squatting 405, and benching 150.

wedge
03-11-09, 1:44 pm
I squat 10 pounds less than I dead and bench about 130 pounds less than I squat. What's this ratio mean? Absolutely nothing, as bros have explained before me.
If you're lacking in one, move it to the first workout of the week when you're freshest and work on it then to get it up. PRIORITIZE!