PDA

View Full Version : SPF Alabama State Meet Report

IRBS
03-07-09, 9:53 pm
Redemption is sweet.

First of all, I gotta thank my training partners for all their help. We have a great crew and I'll put our guys up against anybody elses for handling at meets. We had a blast on the drive down and had a killer time at the meet giving each other hell. It was fun. I weighed in at 272, only having to cut a few pounds to make weight, so it wasnt an issue at all. Basically I didnt eat or drink until I weighed in on Friday and I was good to go. I was in the 275 Open division. Ok, on to the meet.

SQUAT

Warmups went well. I took 135x5, added briefs, 225x3, 315x1, 455x1, added suit, 545x1 and then 605x1. All were solid and the weight felt light.

1st Attempt: 650 - 2 reds

I got red lighted for depth. Carter called me up just a hair early. Got with the side judge and he said I was hovering right at parrallel, but never broke. No biggie, the weight absolutely flew up. I wasnt worried.

2nd Attempt: 675 - complete miss......

Hit depth perfectly, side juge said I was good to go, but I let my head and chest drop in the hole, got forward on my toes and there was just no saving it. I got off balance and just lost it. Ok, now it's time to man up and get in this meet!

3rd Attempt: 675 - 3 whites

Finally, I got a squat passed! The bar was not centered on my back and I came up crooked (You'll see this in the video). It wasnt as fast as I wanted it to be, but it was good and thats what counts. Judging was spot on today. Nobody got a single gift. Consistent all day, it was solid. I'm in the meet, pressure is off.

BENCH

Again, warmups went well in the bench. Everything felt pretty good. I worked up as follows: bar for a few, 135x8, 225x3, 315x1, added shirt, 405x2 (2-board), 500x1 (1-board).

1st Attempt: 500 - 2 reds

Smooth and easy press, but my butt came up. I knew exactly what had to be done.

2nd attempt: 500 - 3 whites

I ended up having to pull my feet back further under me, I ended up with a much better arch than I have usually. This press was a good bit slower than any of my gym lifts at 500 have been. I was starting to feel the fatigue at this point, but, I now had my 500 Full Meet bench.

3rd Attempt: 525 - miss

I got all screwed up and out of the groove on this. The weight felt fine but I was decending towards my neck and the more I tried to correct, the worse it got, so I called for them to take it. On to the Deadlift.

DEADLIFT

I felt great going into the deadlift. I was opening with something I could do anytime, anywhere. The first flight of lifters took a long time to get through their attempts and I ended up warming up too early, like everyone else in my flight, but hey, its the deadlift. If I wasnt warm by now anyway I probably wasnt going to get warm. Warmups were: 135x3
added suit, 315x1, 455x1. All were easy...as they should be.

1st Attempt: 500 - 3 whites

Nice and Easy. I've got my total.

2nd Attempt: 550 - 3 whites

This is a 35lbs meet PR.

3rd Attempt: 575 - 3 whites

60lbs meet PR in the deadlift. This was a tough pull and I felt like it took forever to lock out, but on the video it's a little quicker than I thought. But this was all I had in me today, I am confident of that. Overall I am very, very pleased with the deadlift. I was beat and still managed a good pull (for me...)

So I went:

For a 1750 Total and I won my weight class. I hit PR's in every lift and finally got a total to put on the board. It was a great day for me. I know I left a lot on the platform today, but my #1 goal was simply to get a total. I went 5 for 9, which needs to get better. I've got to get more confidence in my squat, get used to touching bigger weights in the bench, and I have got to get my deadlift up over 600. I came away from this meet pleased with my performance, but with a new list of things I must improve if I want to get better.

Meet Video (no sound because I used a song that you tube doesnt like...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lt9AHBkzyM

250 pounds from Elite,
IRBS

rocky36
03-07-09, 10:16 pm
congrats bro, and the music worked fine for me

mark
03-07-09, 10:48 pm
Congrats on the meet bro... I know it's been awhile in the making.

eric downey
03-08-09, 4:26 am
Good Work Bro Elite Is Right Around The Conner

IRBS
03-08-09, 11:13 am
congrats bro, and the music worked fine for me

Thanks man. Yeah I replaced it with that one off of YouTube's "approved list." It was a Disturbed song...oh well.

Congrats on the meet bro... I know it's been awhile in the making.

Thanks Mark. Yeah, I bombed out of the last 2 full meets I've done, so it felt good to put it together and get a total. I was fired up after getting my squat in...

Good Work Bro Elite Is Right Around The Conner

Thanks Eric. Thats the goal...