PDA

View Full Version : A new beginning.

beingforthebenefit.
03-07-09, 10:08 pm
Hello, my name is Nick. I just joined the forum a few days after a friend had mentioned it to me. Weightlifting is pretty much new to me, but the drive to better myself is not. In the fall of 2007 I was 16 years old, weighing in at 250 pounds. My diet was horrible, I had been fat for most of my life. By the spring of 2008, through hardcore dieting, I brought my weight down to 145lbs. Over the summer of 2008 I made friends with the wrong people and began to drink heavily to the point where I developed an addiction to alcohol. I was able to stop drinking last fall, and started to get my life back on track, but was diagnosed with depression. I knew it was time for a change. With some money I had saved up I bought a weight bench, and began to assemble a workout room in my basement. Now I'm looking to build my body up to what I want it to be. A lean, cut, HEALTHY physique. Right now I'm at 145lbs, 17 years old, junior in high school. The reason I decided to start lifting was to channel aggression, and have control over myself, as well as live a more structured lifestyle.

After sifting through a lot of information, I found a training plan on this website for novice bodybuilders, and substitued a couple of exercises due to a lack of equipment.

Legs
• Leg Extensions: 2 Sets x 12 reps
• Leg Curls: 2 Sets x 12 Reps
• Standing Calf Raises: 2 Sets x 12 Reps

Chest/Shoulders

- Incline DB Flyes: 2 Sets x 10 reps
• Flat Barbell Bench Presses:
2 Sets x 10 Reps
• Barbell Shoulder Presses:
2 Sets x 10 Reps

Back
• Pull Ups: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
• Barbell Rows: 2 Sets x 10 Reps

Arms
• Barbell Curls:
2 Sets x 10 Reps
• Lying Tricep Extensions:
2 Sets x 10 Reps

other

• Ab Crunches: 2 Sets x 20 Reps daily

- Cardio: Half hour jog on off days.

If anyone would like to give me a hand developing a nutritional plan, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm a clean eater usually...oatmeal, a lot of salad, fruits, veggies, lean beef, chicken, brown rice, whole wheat breads. I also take omega 3's, because I can't eat fish. A few days ago I purchased 2lbs of whey.

This website is incredible. Everyone has the same mindset, they know what they want out of life, and are going through great lengths to get it. Fitness is a powerful thing, for the mind, body, and soul. Thanks guys.

Giant Killer
03-08-09, 11:25 am
So glad you found a new life among the iron bro. It's a refreshing change from the status quo we have to deal with on a daily basis. You can't deny that drive to be something better, that so many other suppress.

Feel free to PM an outline of your current diet or post it up here and myself and others can help out. And what is your height and current goal? To stay lean or to gain some muscle?

beingforthebenefit.
03-08-09, 12:18 pm
1) 6:30 am: 3/4 cups oatmeal, 1 scoop of whey protein

2) 10 am: 2 slices of whole wheat toast, piece of fruit

3) Around noon: chicken breast, salad, 1 cup brown rice (cooked)

4) 2 pm: pre workout...1 tbsp peanut butter, piece of fruit

5) Post workout: 1 scoop whey, bannana

6) Last meal: chicken breast, or steak, salad.

I'm 5'7, my goal is too look very lean, but somewhat muscular. So probably remaining the same weight, but loosing the body fat and becoming more cut is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks giant.

Giant Killer
03-08-09, 2:14 pm
Off the top of my head, you gotta' get some eggs in your life bro. Esp. in the 10:00 meal, replacing some of those carbs with 3 whole eggs (if you're in school just hard boil them) will help with your protein requirements. In fact, I'd say ditch the fruit and 1 slice of bread from that meal and replace with eggs or another protein source, maybe cottage cheese.

I would also take a scoop of whey protein in your pre-workout meal and possibly eliminate the peanut butter as it will slow digestion in the critical anabolic window of opportunity that surrounds your workout.

Other than that, if everything is looking good, keep doing it. Make adjustments as needed from there.

beingforthebenefit.
03-08-09, 9:05 pm
I really wish I could get eggs down. I try all the time, cook 'em up every way I know, and still can't get them down. Is there anything like eggs that could act as a substitute?

beingforthebenefit.
03-09-09, 7:31 pm
Legs
• Leg Extensions: 3 Sets, 50x15, 60x12, 70x12
• Leg Curls: 3 Sets, 50x15, 60x12, 70x12
• Standing Calf Raises: 2 Sets, 60x12 (30lbs per DB)

Chest/Shoulders

- Incline DB Flyes: 2 Sets, 40x14, 40x14 (20 per DB)
• Flat DB Bench Press: 3 sets, 60x9.5, 60x8, 60x8 (30 per DB)
• Barbell Shoulder Presses: 2 sets, 20x10, 20x10 (10 per DB)

Back
• Pull Ups: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
• Barbell Rows: 2 Sets x 14 Reps @ 50lbs, on 45lb olympic bar

Arms
• Barbell Curls: 3 sets, 30x14, 30x12, 30x10
• Lying Tricep Extensions: 2 Sets x 10 Reps (25lbs)
- Wirst curls: 2 sets, 15x10 each set

Crunches: 2x20

________

Nutrition (very off today, tomorrow will be much better)...

6:30 am: 3/4 cup oatmeal, 1 bannana

Noon: 1 cup brown rice, chicken

2 pm(pre workout): 2 slices of whole wheat toast, 1 scoop whey protein

3:30 pm(post workout): 1 heaping scoop of whey, apple

5:30 pm: steak, broccoli, salad

Giant Killer
03-09-09, 8:23 pm
I really wish I could get eggs down. I try all the time, cook 'em up every way I know, and still can't get them down. Is there anything like eggs that could act as a substitute?

Although cottage cheese would be longer digesting with slightly less bioavailability, it would be a good alternative.

beingforthebenefit.
03-11-09, 6:47 pm
Today I registered for spring track and field at my high school. They just built a brand new weight room, and I'm looking forward to working out in it. However, I'd like to still focus on shaping my body, will the exercises done for throwing shotput still be beneficial to my goals?

NJC_Manhattan
03-11-09, 7:01 pm
1) 6:30 am: 3/4 cups oatmeal, 1 scoop of whey protein

2) 10 am: 2 slices of whole wheat toast, piece of fruit

3) Around noon: chicken breast, salad, 1 cup brown rice (cooked)

4) 2 pm: pre workout...1 tbsp peanut butter, piece of fruit

5) Post workout: 1 scoop whey, bannana

6) Last meal: chicken breast, or steak, salad.

I'm 5'7, my goal is too look very lean, but somewhat muscular. So probably remaining the same weight, but loosing the body fat and becoming more cut is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks giant.

I would add some eggs, heavy cream, asparagus, broccoli, and olive oil. Just a suggestion.