PDA

View Full Version : My day at The Cage...

zanderfever
03-08-09, 4:54 pm
FIRST OFF THANK YOU TO UNIVERSAL FOR THE CAGE.

I honestly had one of the greatest days i've ever had yesterday. It started off on a great note with seeing all the other Animals, getting to be in the Cage for a large chunk of the day and being called out by Vinny. That was an unexpected treat. I've always wanted to lift in the cage but I never feel that i'm strong enough to do it. Apparently, Vinny thought otherwise and that was definitely one of the highlights of my experience at the Arnold. It was a bench your bodyweight for reps competition and I was standing outside the cage when Vinny saw me and said, on the mic, "did you sign up for this" and when I said no he just told me to "get in here" which was basically a moment where I shit myself. Universal was great and gave us FORVM members a free shaker cup and supplements so I used that shaker cup and got myself some Shock Therapy for the contest (I was joking with NG that if I was going to do this I needed my creatine) I ended up getting 9 reps with 200. I wish I had done more, but I fell out of my groove and brought the bar down to high. I'm just glad I did real reps instead of some guy who were bouncing the bar 4 inches into their chest. It was great when Vinny said that a guy got x amount of reps "and a broken sternum"

Vinny did a good job with the mic. So did Sgt Rock when Sam Byrd and his crew were doing their Squats. Which were very impressive also. Deep, real powerlifting Squats. It was cool to see Sam Byrd lift with just a belt and knee wraps when i've only really seen the videos of his suited 1000+ Squats. Needless to say, 585 in weight, plus 200 or so in chains for 2 deep Squats impressed me. His crew did well to, though I can't remember exactly what they lifted. I know one guy was doing reps with what would be world record weight in some federation, though I don't know which.

Since I have a friend who works out with Derek Poundstone I decided to watch the strongman competition instead of Sgt Rock's deadlifting. I'm truly sorry that I missed his deadlifting simply because I would've loved to see some of the best deadlifting out there. I also love the deadlift more than any other lift. But Poundstone was ridiculous. All of the strongman were. I can't wait to do a competition of my own someday...

Rage and The Freak (Derrick Farnsworth for those who don't know) did a contest of Squatting for 405 for however many reps they can get. Rage got 19 and then failed in the whole for a true real set to failure. They were good reps to. Not the bullshit quarter squats but deep squats that went below parallel. I believe Rage weighed in at 250 something and Freak weighed in at 190. Freak got 25 reps with his 405 and they were also real quality Squats. Freak went raw with just a belt and Rage used a belt and knee wraps. Very impressive squatting.

That was my experience at with competition and exhibitions at the Arnold and the Cage. Now for some more fun stuff with the socialization at the cage.

First contact with an Animal was BigAnt yelling hi to me as we went up/down opposite elevators. Then I headed over to the cage, met up with Toni and Shortstack. Throughout the day I was simply hanging out in the cage. Talked to B Con, KingKongPronged, Mcfly, BigAnt, Rcrott1, Scals17, Shortstack, Vinny, BamBam92, futilekyle, Rage/Ragingmuscle, The Freak, and a ton of others that I just can't remember at the moment. It was a ton of fun. Just a great time.

Then for the ABC after the Arnold. Now THIS was an ABC to remember. I ended up training with Derrick Farnsworth(Freak), Shortstack, InkedMuscle, and sifusteve. We did legs. I got my ass whooped by all of them. Holy god... I am having a hard time walking today. Wow. I am in such terrible shape. That second heavy leg press set destroyed me. I was in pain from it, delirious, overheated, and had to go get 3 bottles of cold water. I usually hate cold water but this stuff I used not only to drink and cool me from the inside but I kept putting it on my head so I wouldn't pass out. It was a perfect example of the two very different styles of powerlifting and bodybuilding... I had half to a quarter of the rest time i'm used to with 5-50x the reps that I used to/like... Pain

After the workout I thanked Freak for kicking my ass and then me, Toni, Shortstack, Inked Muscle, FireDrake, Sifusteve, Phil800101, and someone soon to be named "Poptarts" or something as well. We had a blast and went to Smokey Bones to eat. Stayed there for a long time just talking and eating. That was definitely a great meal (thanks, guys) and the company was better. Can't wait for next year and to see the pictures from yesterday.

Great day. Thank you to everybody.

Angst
03-08-09, 6:39 pm
Glad you had fun bro

mritter3
03-08-09, 9:19 pm
hey bro sounds like you have a weekend you will never forget....i am with you on that one

B Con
03-08-09, 9:47 pm
Glad you had a great time and good write up. It was great to meet you and put a face to the name.

InkdMuscle
03-08-09, 9:53 pm
yo bro that leg session with ya was sick. Freak worked all of our asses. It hurt on the plane i had to keep getting up to stretch because i was cramping up. i sit here now and my quads are friend.

PS- thanks for the tips on the belt and wraps. Last set i re-wrapped my knees your way and it really help'd out. I think i got 5 more reps with your technique.

BigAnt
03-09-09, 12:49 am
Zander;

It very cool to meet your dad, and great benching in The Cage...What are your folks feeding you son? You keep growing with new muscle every time I see you!

Glad you had a great experience this weekend---start making plans for next year!

McFly
03-09-09, 8:02 am
glade you could make it to the cage bro....it was great seeing you again!

Toni69
03-09-09, 10:43 am
Im so glad this was an amazing experience for you and it should be..your young and growing in this sport and all you had this past wkd was positive influence and inspiration in all shapes and sizes surrounding you..cant get any better than that!

I always love seeing you and Im kinda glad you went off training and doin your own thing cause you and I can hang anytime to train..you only get one shot a year pretty much to experience what you did this wkd...so im glad it was all you were expecting..and more!

Dinner with you was great...you and jeremy my two sidekicks for life man!

love ya!

Universal Rep
03-09-09, 10:47 am
Sounds awesome... Gonna see about goin' next year.

Vinny G
03-09-09, 11:04 am
I was a 17 year old kid just like zoolander a long time ago, so i know where his head is at with all this shit....."thats my nickname for him"...lol

when i saw him standing outside.....he's been to most of the abc's here on the east coast, and thought why the hell is he out there looking in....he is one of us.

so i called him in to join the madness.

Zoo, your a good kid.......and make sure you come to the NY PRO......lol

Vinny

Standing_Guard
03-09-09, 11:32 am
Zander:

Great hanging with ya in the cage and chattin over dinner. I hope to see you again next yaer. Meantime and in between time, stay focused and keep pushin.

J-Dawg
03-09-09, 12:59 pm
Glad you had a great time there Z. It was cool to see a familiar face from the east coast ABCs. That was really cool of Vinny to call you into The Cage to bench. Next year you'll get double the reps!

Firedrake
03-09-09, 1:26 pm
Zander,

Thank you for reminding me of me (mumble) years ago, with the incredible enthusiasm you have for the iron, and the other "geek-like" qualities we share. You have an incredible head on your shoulders as well as a solid foundation of strength.

I look forward to seeing you again next year!

zanderfever
03-09-09, 9:23 pm
Glad you had fun bro

Thanks, Angst. Me to, haha.

hey bro sounds like you have a weekend you will never forget....i am with you on that one

It was truly a fun time. If you can, get over there.

Glad you had a great time and good write up. It was great to meet you and put a face to the name.

Thanks, B. Always nice to figure out who people are, haha.

yo bro that leg session with ya was sick. Freak worked all of our asses. It hurt on the plane i had to keep getting up to stretch because i was cramping up. i sit here now and my quads are friend.

PS- thanks for the tips on the belt and wraps. Last set i re-wrapped my knees your way and it really help'd out. I think i got 5 more reps with your technique.

I am in so much pain right now... I can't walk down stairs. I can't straighten my legs... pain... Haha, I LOVE IT!

Zander;

It very cool to meet your dad, and great benching in The Cage...What are your folks feeding you son? You keep growing with new muscle every time I see you!

Glad you had a great experience this weekend---start making plans for next year!

Hey, Ant. My dad and I were talking later on Saturday and we were having fun because usually people don't go up to him and say "hi, your Alex's dad right?" Haha, he got a real kick out of that and you really impressed him. Thank you for that.

HAHA! The food is pretty hearty over here. I never stop eating.

Thanks about the benching. Maybe next year i'll plan on this competition and train for it? That could be fun.

glade you could make it to the cage bro....it was great seeing you again!

Thanks, Mcfly. Always fun to see you and everybody.

Im so glad this was an amazing experience for you and it should be..your young and growing in this sport and all you had this past wkd was positive influence and inspiration in all shapes and sizes surrounding you..cant get any better than that!

I always love seeing you and Im kinda glad you went off training and doin your own thing cause you and I can hang anytime to train..you only get one shot a year pretty much to experience what you did this wkd...so im glad it was all you were expecting..and more!

Dinner with you was great...you and jeremy my two sidekicks for life man!

love ya!

Oh I had a glorious time! Haha, I had a blast with you, Jeremy, and everybody else (especially at dinner).

At the Arnold, the inspiration generally comes from people who are bigger in shape and size :D

I'm imagining me and Jeremy in secret service costumes flanking you in the gym... It amuses me :P

Sounds awesome... Gonna see about goin' next year.

Oh wow, we could get to see what U Rep looks like. Do whatever you can to get there because you'll have a blast like no other time.

I was a 17 year old kid just like zoolander a long time ago, so i know where his head is at with all this shit....."thats my nickname for him"...lol

when i saw him standing outside.....he's been to most of the abc's here on the east coast, and thought why the hell is he out there looking in....he is one of us.

so i called him in to join the madness.

Zoo, your a good kid.......and make sure you come to the NY PRO......lol

Vinny

:D Thanks, Vinny. Don't worry, I won't be on the outside for the NY Pro. zoolander shall make an appearance.

Zander:

Great hanging with ya in the cage and chattin over dinner. I hope to see you again next yaer. Meantime and in between time, stay focused and keep pushin.

THATS WHAT YOUR FORVM NAME IS! I wrote "someone soon to be known as poptarts" or something in the write up. Can't wait until next year.

Glad you had a great time there Z. It was cool to see a familiar face from the east coast ABCs. That was really cool of Vinny to call you into The Cage to bench. Next year you'll get double the reps!

Thanks, J-Dawg. Yeah, Vinny is a pretty cool guy, haha. Definitely very cool to see you again. Until the next ABC we're both at, stay strong.

Zander,

Thank you for reminding me of me (mumble) years ago, with the incredible enthusiasm you have for the iron, and the other "geek-like" qualities we share. You have an incredible head on your shoulders as well as a solid foundation of strength.

I look forward to seeing you again next year!

Haha, no problem. Thanks for the kind words. Gotta love being a little nerdy :P

Next year will be a great time. So stay strong

Phil800101
03-10-09, 4:32 am
Great meeting you bro.

Ragin Asian
03-10-09, 5:52 am
It was great meeting you Zanderfever and please, don't ever lose your enthusiasm and motivation for the iron. So many athletes get caught up in numbers throughout the years of their careers, they lose sight with the those who look up to them. The Animal Family (as Sgt Rock puts it) are the EXCEPTION to that, these guys are the top at their game and yet they take the time to share their knowledge and experience with those aspiring to reach those levels someday...you don't find that anywhere else!!! One of the greatest qualities Bobby and I find in these fellas, that set them apart from the rest of the professionals we have met and know in both bodybuilding and powerlifting are that they never forget where they started. They give respect regardless of the level of the athlete or aspiring beginner. This is a huge value Bobby and I try to uphold every where we go and it's great to find that every one of the guys in the Animal Family do the same. Guys like you, Zander, help rekindle that enthusiasm for us and keep us motivated. Keep working hard and you will achieve your goals, no doubt about that. Hope to see you again in the future.

zanderfever
03-12-09, 1:09 am
Great meeting you bro.

Thanks, Phil. That dinner was great. I can't wait for next year and to see what happens.

It was great meeting you Zanderfever and please, don't ever lose your enthusiasm and motivation for the iron. So many athletes get caught up in numbers throughout the years of their careers, they lose sight with the those who look up to them. The Animal Family (as Sgt Rock puts it) are the EXCEPTION to that, these guys are the top at their game and yet they take the time to share their knowledge and experience with those aspiring to reach those levels someday...you don't find that anywhere else!!! One of the greatest qualities Bobby and I find in these fellas, that set them apart from the rest of the professionals we have met and know in both bodybuilding and powerlifting are that they never forget where they started. They give respect regardless of the level of the athlete or aspiring beginner. This is a huge value Bobby and I try to uphold every where we go and it's great to find that every one of the guys in the Animal Family do the same. Guys like you, Zander, help rekindle that enthusiasm for us and keep us motivated. Keep working hard and you will achieve your goals, no doubt about that. Hope to see you again in the future.

Thank you so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Animal is truly a family that feeds off of each other in order to be the best that everybody can be. This place is truly a team and we all have each others backs simply for being here. Its a place of respect, from the new to the old and the wise to the uneducated, everybody helps and learns from each other. That is Animal. I am proud to say that we are all Animal here in everything that comes with that name.