PDA

View Full Version : Back Routine Critique

71bbo455
03-08-09, 10:35 pm
Hey Animals,

I just started a new back routine and wanted some ideas on what you think. It's pretty basic and pretty hard. Let me know if you guys think it's too much, not enough, or maybe a change in the exercises. I'm not a powerlifter but like to train as heavy as possible. My goal is to get back to what I had years ago. I'm now 37 and 200 lbs but too much bf and not enough muscle. Need to get back to big muscles and lower bf.

Thanks in advance.

wide grip pull ups 5 sets
barbell rows 3 sets
one arm dumbell rows 3 sets
narrow grip pull dowsn 3 sets
deadlifts 3 sets

rocky36
03-09-09, 2:36 am
Hey Animals,

I just started a new back routine and wanted some ideas on what you think. It's pretty basic and pretty hard. Let me know if you guys think it's too much, not enough, or maybe a change in the exercises. I'm not a powerlifter but like to train as heavy as possible. My goal is to get back to what I had years ago. I'm now 37 and 200 lbs but too much bf and not enough muscle. Need to get back to big muscles and lower bf.

Thanks in advance.

barbell rows 3 sets
deadlifts 3 sets

Very soild routine. But i dont like to do the same thing everytime keeping a varity is key to steady muscle growth. With that in mind if I were you i would do that routine one week then the next i would do something like

Deadlifts 5 sets
heavy db rows 3 sets
t bar rows 4 sets
pull dows 4 sets
maybe shrugs if you feel like doin em on back day

Never let your body get acustomed to doing the same thing day after day, you will hit a plateu and your progress will come to a hault, you do not want this

In Flames
03-09-09, 7:16 pm
I change exercises ever 4 weeks for variety. I also take the 9th week off always, very similar to Max-OT's principles. I train to failure on each set, always a slower negative 2-3 seconds with an explosive positive 1-2 seconds.

Here's my current Back workout. I'm on my second week of it by the way.

2 x 4-6 Barbell Rows
2 x 6-10 V-bar Pull-downs
2 x 6-10 Weighted Pull-ups (Once I can reach 10 reps, I add more weight)
1 x 6-10 Long Bar Seated Cable Rows
2 x 4-6 Deadlifts

shizz702
03-09-09, 9:45 pm
Hey Animals,

Thanks in advance.

barbell rows 3 sets
deadlifts 3 sets

Looks pretty good, lots of good compound movements there. I would start off with deadlifts though, since they are going to produce the most growth, you want to be able to give them all your energy. Other than that I'd do one or the other with the bb and db rows, you only need one rowing movement, and progressively add weight on your pullups.

71bbo455
03-09-09, 10:40 pm
Looks pretty good, lots of good compound movements there. I would start off with deadlifts though, since they are going to produce the most growth, you want to be able to give them all your energy. Other than that I'd do one or the other with the bb and db rows, you only need one rowing movement, and progressively add weight on your pullups.

Good advice on deadlifts first. I used to do that but my weakest exercise is pull ups and decided to try those first in order to prioritize. Just curious though why you feel that only 1 rowing exercise is needed but nothing about 2 pulling exercises? I see that many do a barbell/dumbell row and a low pulley row. I just got this idea from one of the animals articles, I believe it was by machine, but I'm not sure.