PDA

View Full Version : What's it like to train with a Pro?

shortstack
03-11-09, 4:46 pm
I got the chance to work with Derik “The Freak” Farnsworth twice over the Arnold Classic weekend. One night we hit arms and the second night was gut check time for some killer legs. I learned more in those 2 sessions than I have during the past 5 years I’ve been lifting.

Friday night Derik was always either right behind me or close by and in some cases actually moving my arms through the movement so I could do it correctly. He constantly asked, “How did that feel?”, “did you feel the difference?” He made sure I knew what I should be doing and how it should feel.

Then Saturday night came and with in the first set, Life Changed.

The hip sled was the first tool for our little Circus of Pain and Derik was the Ring Master. I don’t remember much of that first set except Derik pulling off plates and asking if that was it then pulling off plates, more reps, asking “is that it, come on it’s only 3 plates”, Derik pulling up the sled, another plate gone and more “Encouragement” via pulling up the sled again, then telling me to rack it.

I stood up and couldn’t even hear Derik telling me good job from the ringing in my ears. My eyes started to see a large black tunnel turn into a small black tunnel, and my legs, well forget about them, they were gone. All I could do was lean against the wall and try and get right for the next sets.

That was my first set with a Pro.

I managed to pull my shit together and get through the rest of it but I didn’t come out of that gym the same way I went in. Today is 4 days after that Saturday night and my legs still won’t bend to 90 degrees and I’m trying to figure out how to duplicate what I learned.

So if you want to know what it’s like working with a pro, this write up doesn’t come close to doing it justice. You have to be there, get through the pain, learn from it, soak it up and make it yours.

Once in a lifetime opportunities like this aren’t normally handed out for nothing yet this company and the players in it give us unlimited access and opportunities you won’t find anywhere else. I for one am grateful and want to say Thank you to Universal and to everyone that makes all this possible.

Shortstack

InkdMuscle
03-11-09, 6:18 pm
HAHA u and me both brother. today is a lil better after Freaks leg torture. I can actually walk a lil with out gimping. That sat session was OMG tuff. but fun at the same time. Then to have Ox come over and encourage us was awesome too.

Rage
03-11-09, 7:36 pm
Big legs brother..big legs..got to do it right...

The Freak
03-12-09, 6:41 pm
hahahah

love it !!!!!!!! you just upped your game my man! if you take away 10% of what you learned that is al you need... progress in little steps...

just next time , im going to be training with you, whole new ball game... so bust ass cuz i'll coming for you and want your new improved A game!

D

sanga
03-12-09, 9:14 pm
Great meeting you guys, thanks for the neck manipulation Derek, all cool now mate.

I`ll get the cage squatting video posted up tomorrow.

Sidle
03-12-09, 9:57 pm
You are lucky.
Is it possible for random people to work out with the pros?
I would love it..

Phil800101
03-13-09, 2:33 am
Good stuff bro. I believe I was doing deads next to you guys on Saturday night, and it certainly did look pretty intense and brutal.

Is it possible for random people to work out with the pros?
I would love it..

Yup. Just join the ABC and attend an event that they're at.

shortstack
03-13-09, 1:19 pm
hahahah

love it !!!!!!!! you just upped your game my man! if you take away 10% of what you learned that is al you need... progress in little steps...

just next time , im going to be training with you, whole new ball game... so bust ass cuz i'll coming for you and want your new improved A game!

D

Thanks Derik,

Don't worry, I'll be even more prepared for the next round. I'm working on nailing down the diet and pounding the weight without mercy. Next year will see me bigger and more prepared to tackle another training session.

Thanks also to everyone that stoped by so far.

Shortstack