PDA

View Full Version : Football. Workout?

Sidle
03-12-09, 6:09 pm
Hey.
I am playing football at college next year,
but that's not the main reason I'm posting.
I was wondering if someone could give me a good workout to use.
I like doing:
Chest/Tri's. (Bench.)
Back/Bi's. (Deadlift.)
Shoulders/Traps. (Military Press/Cleans.)
Legs/Forearms. (Squats.)

I was wondering if anyone could hook me up with a workout.
I'm not a begginer,
but I'm also not an expert.

rev8ball
03-12-09, 6:18 pm
What are your long term/short term goals? Do you want the training to deal with your position?

NEW B
03-12-09, 9:00 pm
thw weight room is important but do NOT over look cardio. trainning camp will suck if you over look this. if you dont you might not be the faster stronger guy but you will have the edge. Show up to camp in shape dont get in shape at camp. the coachs will see this and it will show in your performance more then being 2 tenths faster or being able to deadlift more weight.

shizz702
03-12-09, 9:19 pm
This in my opinion, is not only the best routine one could do for football training, but for general strength training as well:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5#Madcow_Intermediate_5x5

Be sure to do the power cleans instead of the rows since explosiveness is vital for sport.

Sidle
03-12-09, 9:51 pm
In all honestly,
I want to be in BB shape,
not football shape.
I know this will affect my performance,
but what is football going to do for me in the long run?
I want to pack on weight now,
so maybe in 10 years I can look great.
I've tried a 5x5 Madcow workout,
and it only worked for a short time.
And there is no fucking way im doing Deadlift/Squat the same day.
If you go hard, that's impossible.
One will be laggin.

Alk
03-12-09, 10:19 pm

It pays for your tuition for the next half of a decade?

Good example of a guy who went from football training to bodybuilding: Ronnie Coleman. He started competing either on the offseason, or after football ended in college.

Packing on weight is fine and mighty, but you should lift to improve your performance if that's what sport you're doing. Looks won't get you anywhere in football imo, if it's anything like wrestling haha.

Noone said it would be easy.

EVERYONE WANNA BE A BODYBUILDER, BUT NOONE WANNA LIFT NO HEAVY A$$ WEIGHTS

Young&Hungry
03-12-09, 11:12 pm
In all honestly,
not football shape.
One will be laggin.

-Football shape and bodybuilding shape really aren't far off. You're actually athletic, highly conditioned, and stay bulking year round. Can you think of anything more positive for bodybuilding? At least you're not like these pussies who weigh a buck eighty five who talk about keto and live on Hammer Strength machines because they "feel better" than strapping their nuts up and busting ass on the core four.

-Football will pay for a $200,000+ education if you're good enough. Plus I firmly believe that the mental toughness, interest in powerlifting, perserverance qualities, and just knowing what I'm made of I have I wouldn't have found out by not playing football.

-5x5 is one of the best programs on the planet. I highly doubt you were training hard or smart enough if you claim it only worked for a short time, or there was something tragically wrong with your recovery modalities.

-Can't squat and pull in the same day? Learn how to program your training effectively in a yearly cyclical calendar and get in shape. Quit going by the feel of stuff, learn the hard science, how to crunch numbers, what exercises will biomechanically suit your individual needs, how to implement them into an effective training program, and how they will translate into making you stronger And by conditioning I'm not talking about riding the bike for 15 minutes three times a week, actually put some balls out effort into your conditioning and your recovery time both inside and outside the weight room will shoot through the roof. I box squatted 425 and rack pulled over 500, which were both huge PR's for me back in '08, on the same day within 45 minutes so don't say it can't be done.

Sidle
03-12-09, 11:30 pm
You would have gotten better numbers if you would have done them on different days.
IF you go balls out like you say, then it should be impossible.
I can't even walk after attempting a max of either of those.
And for cardio I do HIIT.
It works real well,
and I'm playing D3 so no scholarship for me. =[
I just don't think adding mass is good for me,
because i will be playing safety,
and i already weigh 175ish.

shizz702
03-12-09, 11:44 pm
In all honestly,
not football shape.
One will be laggin.

If it only worked for a short amount of time you didn't run it right. That program spanned linear progress for me for 2 months before my lifts stalled, and in case you forgot the day you squat and pull on the same day you squat light which is for expediting recovery by just getting some blood flow in the legs.

The madcow routine is one of the most reputable programs out there and myself and several other bros here I've seen have had much success with it. Madcow, Rippetoe, and Bill Starr all recommend full body routines that consist of squatting and pulling on the same workout when training for strength and bulk. But what do they know? They have only dedicated their whole lives to studying exercise.

cogz
03-13-09, 12:35 am
this post is really irritating me, if you dont wanna play football then why are you, follow your dream in whatever it maybe. if you are getting a scholarship then you have to give your heart and soul to training for football. you are getting paid to play through scholarship, people would kill to go to school for free. if that is your case. there are plenty of athletes that are in great shape and almost look like bodybuilders. you can get in great shape training for football, you do not need a bb workout. if the workout is basic movements that the coaches gave you, then throw in some extra lifts.

prowrestler
03-13-09, 1:09 am
hmm, i think im missing something, i go balls to the walls when i squat or deadlift...i can walk perfectly fine after....hell i can continue a training session after.... i can even manage to make progress in my lifts...

shit i must be doing something wrong....

westside squats and deads on the same day, hell, 8-12 sets of speed squats and then speeds deads for multiple singles are done back to back and the band tension alone is probably more then most people deadlfit..period.

and its a common thing to see rack deads used as the lower back exercise after a squat day, that gym is known as the most succesful one and it even has football players like yourself that get great results from them.

you CAN deadlift and squat on the same day, theres also a difference betweent CAN'T and WONT.

Sidle
03-13-09, 9:59 am
OH. So it's kind of like a dynamic lift?
I thought it was just straight squats.

I am not getting a scholarship to play football,
therefore I am playing for fun.
When did I say I didnt want to play?

If you can go all out on Squat/Deads and still feel great,
props.
What're your PR for Squat/Dead?

TenYardFight HxC
04-07-09, 4:22 pm
Sidle,

I played D3 too. My school have me a copy of their summer workout program. Does the school you're going to have a strength coach? You should see if your college coach can give you their off season workout program.

Jay Hanisak
04-10-09, 11:28 am
If you are playing ball then you should definitley train for football. It is very irritating for a coach when his athletes insist on lifting to obtain goals that are for a different sport. If you do not care how you perform on the field then you should not be playing. You can train for football and gain size and be strong and it will help when you switch over to bodybuilding after college.

Seaseldiesel
05-03-09, 12:28 am
I'm currently a DT for my school. Imma sophomore right now, and i've played 3 years. i'm currently 6' 2" and 275 pounds. this past season they kept me on Junior Varsity cause i didn't lift much over the summer, so i wasn't strong enough. but i had the most tackles of all the Defensive Lineman.
but i'm bookin it in the weight room. Since Christmas, i have put 30 pounds on my bench, 100 pounds on my squat, and 20-30ish pounds on my power cleans.

Cardio is a must. I do cardio Intervals on the treadmill.

6 sets of 5 MPH for 1minute and 30 seconds and 7 MPH for 30 seconds.
then 6 sets of 6 MPH at 1 minute and 30 seconds and 8 MPH at 30 seconds.
then i stretch and do a sprint at 11 MPH for 2 minutes.

(cardio is usually done at the end of your workout, but i find myself better warmed up to lift when i do cardio.) I do cardio on upper body days and my off day. i can't lift as well after all that running.

and as for lifting... i usually do 2 weeks of 4x5 with obviously increasing weight. then 8,6,4 for one week. then the next week i'll do 3x8 for stamina. then repeat.

and as for my lifting program... here it is:

Monday & Fridays:Cardio! (Chest, Tri's, Abs, and shoulders)
Chest:
Flat Bench Press
Incline (dumbbells)
Incline Chest Flyes
Dumbbell Press

Tricep:
Close Grip Bench Press
Skull Crushers
Tricep Pressdowns

Shoulders:
Barbell Shurgs
Lateral Raises
Upright Rows
Shoulder Press

Abs: Do your own thing.
and power cleans. I always do 3 x 5 regardless of what workout i'm on.

Tuesdays & Thursdays (Legs, Back, and Biceps)
Legs:
Squats (2 warm up sets before actual sets)
Deadlift
Dumbbell Lunges
Leg Curls
Leg Extension
Leg Press
Calve Raises

Back:
Pull Downs
Lateral Row

Biceps:
Curl Bar Curls
Barbell Curls

Wednesday: Cardio, then take it easy.

I hope this helps some and good luck. And remember. You need to have a good diet to get stronger. Don't be eating junk food during lunch.

T. Kemble
05-03-09, 3:08 pm
remember what you are training for bro, not for bodybuilding but for a sport.

If i were you i would ditch the idea of training arms/back/chest/legs exc... and go for a template that favors upper and lower body complexes.

Check out Joe Defranco's athlete template

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html

Google is your friend. I would hate to see you train like a Bodybuilder then get smoked come the season because you were doing leg curls instead of deadlifts ya know?

Good Luck

ironmankaz
05-17-09, 6:08 pm
dear sidle. if you want a sure fit way to improve on your football skills then pick up Men's Health power training by coach dos Remindos. its an amazing book that will put on actually functional strength. i think its 16 bucks.