PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon Growls

Firedrake
03-15-09, 12:15 am
Non workout related . . .

This whole board is devoted to things that improve health, strength, and make life worth living. For striving toward some undefinable goal, ever onwards in our journey. This isn't about that.

(Insert many nasty, unpleasant, rude and otherwise obscene words here . . . ) Please don't read if you're squeamish.

Just for the reference: I HATE CANCER. I've lost my maternal grandparents, my mother, and way too many relatives and friends to various forms. And everyone is different. I've known some folks who survive for years. My former mother-in-law has survived breast cancer twice, lung cancer once, and is still going strong 20 years after the first instance.

Another friend lost a breast and is still running around with high tumor markers in her bloodstream, on a low level of chemo most of the time. Yet, another friend was diagnosed with liver cancer in July of 2001, and was dead before the end of September that same year. For all of that, I had an encapsulated tumor removed from my tail end when I was eighteen, have had two basal cell carcinomas removed from my scalp, and I'm still here at nearly 55.

I've spent much of today with a dying friend. Until about six weeks ago, she was beating the tumor that had grown at the area between the right shoulder and her neck. A set of drugs that cut off blood supply to the tumor had shrunk it to a patch of necrotic tissue.

Then it mutated.

In six weeks, it's grown to look like an obscene blackish slug draped around her neck and crawling down her chest. They had to put a stent in her windpipe to keep the tumor from crushing it. That was two weeks ago. The tumor crawled under the stent.

It's interfering with her breathing, painful as all help, and she has an Atavan pump for the pain. She can barely keep anything down, and she's easily tired.

She's 32 years old, has a 12-year-old, precocious daughter who needs to have her mother as she grows. I know. I lost my own mother at age 12 to cancer, so this hurts even more.

This woman is an incredibly creative, talented, stubborn woman, who lost an arm at age 7, and went on to become incredible dexterous with out it. She became pregnant young, and has raised her daughter mostly on her own till she found and married the love of her life a few years ago, and they have become a loving family, and her husband has become the father her daughter always wanted.

IT'S NOT F--KING FAIR!

I'm being selfish, I know. I don't want this person to not be here anymore. I don't want that delightful young woman to grow up without her mother. I'm not ready for this soul to leave yet.

I am reminded the gods have their own reasons for taking a soul off the plane. I just wish they'd let me in on the joke.

Vaze_06
03-15-09, 12:35 am
i'm really sorry for your friend bro. i know how painful it can be loosing someone close. makes think of my english class; Myth of Dionysus. God of Nature. there is no distinguish between things in nature. it gives and take life as it wish. Life is a bitch pretty much. But nothing is over until Nature takes everything away. i know u'll be still pushing your friend to not stop fighting. we need people like her. with her stubbornness she'll make it through. Wishing all the best

rob_in_korea
03-15-09, 6:51 am
Sorry to hear about your friend drake. My Mom beat breast cancer when I was 10 but it came back in her brain and she died when I was 13. It was tough seeing her like that, especially in the last six months. I hope your friend gets better or at least finds peace in her last days. You are a good friend sticking by her side, some of my Mom's friends bailed on her towards the end.

-Rob

Tempus
03-15-09, 4:51 pm
Ive got a good friend that's battling cancer round 2. Shes 27 w/ a 4 yr old. Her hubby was my roommate at one time. He's been deployed twice - once while she was doing the first round of chemo.

Its all bullshit man. One more reason why it takes a village - we all have to pull together to make it work.

Standing_Guard
03-17-09, 9:37 pm
I know the feeling man, I lost my dad to prostate cancer over 6 yrs ago he was young when he died (58) and thats why I need to be on here to not end up like he did. He told me himself before he went "Keep yourself healthy so you can enjoy your life". My moms sister died at 33 from breast cancer. Its a motherfucker and I hate even hearing that word, but I cant escape the fact that its something everyone deals with either personally or emotionally (friends or family). Thats why we need to be thankful for the bodies we have and you my friend are living proof of that. You told me yourself, and to be honest man you inspire me. Keep pushin man.

belladiabla13
03-30-09, 12:55 pm
Non workout related . . .

This whole board is devoted to things that improve health, strength, and make life worth living. For striving toward some undefinable goal, ever onwards in our journey. This isn't about that.

(Insert many nasty, unpleasant, rude and otherwise obscene words here . . . ) Please don't read if you're squeamish.

Just for the reference: I HATE CANCER. I've lost my maternal grandparents, my mother, and way too many relatives and friends to various forms. And everyone is different. I've known some folks who survive for years. My former mother-in-law has survived breast cancer twice, lung cancer once, and is still going strong 20 years after the first instance.

Another friend lost a breast and is still running around with high tumor markers in her bloodstream, on a low level of chemo most of the time. Yet, another friend was diagnosed with liver cancer in July of 2001, and was dead before the end of September that same year. For all of that, I had an encapsulated tumor removed from my tail end when I was eighteen, have had two basal cell carcinomas removed from my scalp, and I'm still here at nearly 55.

I've spent much of today with a dying friend. Until about six weeks ago, she was beating the tumor that had grown at the area between the right shoulder and her neck. A set of drugs that cut off blood supply to the tumor had shrunk it to a patch of necrotic tissue.

Then it mutated.

In six weeks, it's grown to look like an obscene blackish slug draped around her neck and crawling down her chest. They had to put a stent in her windpipe to keep the tumor from crushing it. That was two weeks ago. The tumor crawled under the stent.

It's interfering with her breathing, painful as all help, and she has an Atavan pump for the pain. She can barely keep anything down, and she's easily tired.

She's 32 years old, has a 12-year-old, precocious daughter who needs to have her mother as she grows. I know. I lost my own mother at age 12 to cancer, so this hurts even more.

This woman is an incredibly creative, talented, stubborn woman, who lost an arm at age 7, and went on to become incredible dexterous with out it. She became pregnant young, and has raised her daughter mostly on her own till she found and married the love of her life a few years ago, and they have become a loving family, and her husband has become the father her daughter always wanted.

IT'S NOT F--KING FAIR!

I'm being selfish, I know. I don't want this person to not be here anymore. I don't want that delightful young woman to grow up without her mother. I'm not ready for this soul to leave yet.

I am reminded the gods have their own reasons for taking a soul off the plane. I just wish they'd let me in on the joke.

I too have lost many of loved ones to cancer. You are in my prayers.

InkdMuscle
04-27-09, 4:32 pm
gramps, u know my stories. i can only offer an ear if u need one. but im here. it does suck that life can be taken o so suddenly.

Firedrake
04-28-09, 12:42 am
Thanks, Nick,

Thankfully, Sariah was buried in a green burial a couple of weeks ago, wrapped in linen, and beneath a willow tree - her favorite. Her husband and daughter have begun to return to their normal lives, trying to rebuild around the space where she lived.

We move on, and doing the hard part. Continuing to live and grow.