PDA

View Full Version : Need chest help

BeastCook
03-15-09, 1:29 am
is this a great routine for adding mass to the chest or is it too much volume?

incline barbell press
flat dumbbell flys
cable crossovers
dips

my diet is doing pretty good but my protein really isnt that much because i cant afford to buy all kinds of steaks and other meats for 1 day lol

eric downey
03-15-09, 1:44 am

incline barbell press
flat dumbbell flys
cable crossovers
dips

my diet is doing pretty good but my protein really isnt that much because i cant afford to buy all kinds of steaks and other meats for 1 day lol

incline db is better
flat barbell
decline db b/c the bar restricks ragne of motion
pec dec squeeze at the chest
and push ups for 3 sets to failur at the end. when you get to 3 sets of 25 add sets till you get to 6 then start putting feet in the air

i did this for years

J-PILE
03-15-09, 5:03 am

incline barbell press
flat dumbbell flys
cable crossovers
dips

Just a protein suggestion... I hardly ever have the money to eat steak, but I certainly have enough money for eggs. They cheap as hell, and pretty much the best protein possible.

cstmgp
03-15-09, 9:15 am
Yeah, definitely pick up some eggs, cheap and easy. You can hard boil some for use throughout the day, and fry 'em up when at home. I'd also splurge for some protien powder, even if you have to get some really cheap stuff from a big box store, just watch the nutritional values.

Good Luck,
Shaun

mritter3
03-15-09, 10:38 am
eggs are a great buy, def. gettem, as far as routine goes.....flat bb press, incline db, decline db, cable crossover, and dips would be great.

BeastCook
03-15-09, 6:38 pm
Just a protein suggestion... I hardly ever have the money to eat steak, but I certainly have enough money for eggs. They cheap as hell, and pretty much the best protein possible.

gota watch out for the cholestral or how ever you spell it lol, isnt there alot of it in eggs?

Hammeredhead
03-15-09, 7:01 pm
gota watch out for the cholestral or how ever you spell it lol, isnt there alot of it in eggs?

Dietary cholesterol isn't as scary as the mainstream makes it sound. If you're concerned about it, hard boil a dozen and just drop the yokes out of half of them when it's chow time. But that's dropping valuable protein in the garbage. If you can afford to toss the yokes and eat more whites, super, but if money is tight, I'd eat the yoke every time.

shizz702
03-15-09, 7:25 pm

The myth of eggs and cholesterol has been debunked, you can eat as many eggs as you want with no worries.

ironbound
03-15-09, 7:34 pm
Yeah I've been hearing lately that eggs have "the good kind of cholesterol". Not sure what that means, but I'll eat 'em haha.

In Flames
03-17-09, 4:49 pm
I change exercises every 8 weeks, but right now here's my current Chest workout.

3 x 4-6 Flat BB Bench
3 x 6-12 Incline DB Bench
3 x 12-15 Incline DB Fly's
1 x 30-50 Pec Dec Fly's

My next 8 week cycle will look like this if you're wondering..

3 x 4-6 Incline DB Bench
3 x 6-12 Flat DB Bench
3 x 12-15 Incline Hammer Strength Bench
1 x 30-50 Pec Dec Fly's

jonschmid
03-18-09, 3:40 am
I think you could actually add more to your chest day. I dont think its enough volume for ya.

OPSNORM
03-31-09, 8:52 am
Alright, i need some advice. current routine is incline, flat, dips pec dec, ground zero decline, ground zero flys. reps 6,6,6,10,10,12 3 minutes recovery atleast,. my problem: anterior delts and triceps are blowing up but i cant seem to get my chest to do anything. getting stronger, eating until i am nauses, i have perfected the art of not puking, i refuse to waste 5 bucks in supplements, . i do this 3 weeks then i switch over to db's and rep range moves to 10,10,10,15,15,20.... this is the place for iron to sharpen iron so help me out guys! my nutrtion and supplementation is good because the rest of my body is growing.help a brother out

emmymac009
03-31-09, 11:08 am
try putting a rolled up towel under your back when you do inclines and flat bench presses. this makes your shoulders go back. worked for me

OPSNORM
03-31-09, 11:17 am
OK i hadnt heard of that, i am thinking maybe go lighter to isolat better?

rocket1
03-31-09, 11:27 am
I had a similar experience with the triceps and anterior delts getting fatigued too early. This happened when I first started weightlifting about a year ago. I eventually found out that my problem was that I was trying to lift the bar with my triceps instead of my chest. I dropped the weight some and concentrated on squeezing my chest muscles to get the weight up. You can also think of it as using your chest muscles to pull your elbows together. Make sure you sqeeze your chest muscles every time you work out for chest.

You could also try cable . . . cross-unders? I guess thats what they are called. You put the cables at the lowest setting and come up and cross in front of your face. Like the opposite of cable-pullovers. It helps for upper chest in addition to incline.

OPSNORM
03-31-09, 2:27 pm
yea i am going to try and lighten the load. when i do db i can feel it but when i strentgh train my delts and tris get the wkout. i wanted to move mountains but i guess i have to go back to hills :{

Kingquads
06-27-09, 3:30 pm
ive been trying to find what works for my chest for awhile now, I mean everything on my body grows just fine (my quads grow like crazy) but my chest is lacking fullness, can I get some help on making my chest grow? Thanks.

heres my current routine

incline bench press
flat dumbbell press
weighted dips
dumbbell pullover
cable crossovers

ive tried incline flys and flat flys but those do nothing but tear up my arm pits....

i think i might just add some pressing machines and worry about the flys later

mritter3
06-27-09, 3:36 pm
if your looking for growth...hopefully your doing low reps and heavy ass weights, and your getting enough food throughout the day, other than that your routine looks good, just keep mixing up the exercises and shock the muscles into growth. good luck man.

Kingquads
06-27-09, 3:54 pm
if your looking for growth...hopefully your doing low reps and heavy ass weights, and your getting enough food throughout the day, other than that your routine looks good, just keep mixing up the exercises and shock the muscles into growth. good luck man.

yea im getting enough calories because everything else grows, i think im gonna take out the flys

Kingquads
06-27-09, 3:55 pm

and yea im sticking to 3 working sets with around 8-12 reps for hypertrophy

Muscleguy93
06-27-09, 5:52 pm
yea im getting enough calories because everything else grows, i think im gonna take out the flys

I wouldnt Flys have improved my chest by 100% since i started doing them. I do some benching then finish with hvy flies. Great pump. Also i think Genetics have somthing to do with it.

Pizzalamp
06-27-09, 5:54 pm
i like this routine

incline cable flies
2 x 15
incline dumbell presses
2 x 8-10
weighted chest dips
2 x 8-10
pec deck superset pushups w/ hands on medicine balls
2 x 15 into 2 x 20

Kingquads
06-27-09, 9:42 pm
i think i might try this

incline dumbbell bench press
dumbbell bench press
incline dumbbell fly
dumbbell pullover
weighted dips

i like barbells but for some reason i cant touch my chest on the incline barbell.....idk ill have to experiment my next chest workout

Kingquads
06-27-09, 10:16 pm
i like this routine

incline cable flies
2 x 15
incline dumbell presses
2 x 8-10
weighted chest dips
2 x 8-10
pec deck superset pushups w/ hands on medicine balls
2 x 15 into 2 x 20

idk bout the machines

Pizzalamp
06-27-09, 10:17 pm
idk bout the machines

its all about intensity
your muscles dont know if youre on a machine or on free weights
ive thrown up after doing a drop set on the pec dec b4

Kingquads
06-27-09, 10:39 pm
its all about intensity
your muscles dont know if youre on a machine or on free weights
ive thrown up after doing a drop set on the pec dec b4

idk ive heard stick to the basics but then what you said is true also, but for me everytime i do machines my chest actually shrinks for some reason, maybe i overtrained it or something

JasonG
06-27-09, 10:55 pm
i think i might try this

incline dumbbell bench press
dumbbell bench press
incline dumbbell fly
dumbbell pullover
weighted dips

i like barbells but for some reason i cant touch my chest on the incline barbell.....idk ill have to experiment my next chest workout

Do you have this problem even on your warmups? Maybe you need to stretch more...

Kingquads
06-27-09, 11:06 pm
Do you have this problem even on your warmups? Maybe you need to stretch more...

actually i cant really remember at the moment, i think i can touch my chest but i have force it by letting my shoulders shrug down

JasonG
06-28-09, 6:03 am
Here go to this link http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/...egory/197/225/
Check out Ox's form on chest training part one. Mirror his form and if you still have issues stretch more and maybe switch to dumbells and really get a stretch at the bottom of the movement. Start light and make sure your form is good and go from there.

Dedicated
06-28-09, 9:40 am
It's common for one body part to respond better to training than others. For me, my chest/calves lag behind my quads/hams, delts, and tri's. Just stick with it bro, there is no "secret" movements. Throw in some drop sets and super sets to keep your routine fresh, and focus on intensity.

If you lift balls out consistently for an extended period of time, you're gonna grow. Maybe not as fast as you like, but there's people on here who've been lifting for decades and still don't have the "fullness" they want.

Also, if I were you I'd give the fly's a 2nd shot. Work on that mind/muscle connection.

strivin for more
06-28-09, 10:25 am
you could try throwing in a set of push-ups to failure after each working set of bench/flies/pec deck/whatever youre doing.

and eat. a lot.

DreamZero
06-28-09, 12:29 pm
stick to the basics and hit it hard... progress isnt linear, it comes by spurts, and sometimes you have to give it hard to blast the plateau.

personnal stats, complete training program and diet would help us to help you.

Young&Hungry
06-28-09, 1:42 pm
stick to the basics and hit it hard... progress isnt linear, it comes by spurts, and sometimes you have to give it hard to blast the plateau.

personnal stats, complete training program and diet would help us to help you.

Every exercise works, some better than others. Every training modality works, some better than others. Find what works for you and stick with it. Throw all the bullshit that does not work for you out the window and never do those exercises again. That's it.

You are the master of your own body and you know what's best for you. Having other people give you advice through a computer screen without ever meeting you or knowing what works and doesn't work for you will do nothing but confuse you even more and keep you from becoming one with your own body. Try different exercises, rep ranges, etc. but don't get sucked into the "this routine is better than this one" deal. They all work, but find the one that works best for you. That part is entirely up to you and none of us.

Master Splint
06-28-09, 2:49 pm
My back and arms and legs completely overpower my chest and i train chest like fuckin animal... i do every chest excersize in the book and tried every fuckin workout the pros do. Anyone have this problem and was able to overcome it?

Kingquads
06-28-09, 2:50 pm
thanks guys I think I got the right idea on what ill do for my chest now

Kingquads
06-28-09, 2:54 pm
My back and arms and legs completely overpower my chest and i train chest like fuckin animal... i do every chest excersize in the book and tried every fuckin workout the pros do. Anyone have this problem and was able to overcome it?

you do chest workouts the pro's do? well....there you go thats why

the pro's use magic pixie dust that makes them big, you dont

following what the pro's do will just overtrain your muscle and keep it the same or shrink it

stick to basic compound movements

i have the same problem its just i dont like sticking to basic compound movements, i love using machines and cables....but i know when going for mass you shouldnt even touch a machine or cable

whats your current chest routine

71bbo455
06-28-09, 9:07 pm
you do chest workouts the pro's do? well....there you go thats why

the pro's use magic pixie dust that makes them big, you dont

following what the pro's do will just overtrain your muscle and keep it the same or shrink it

stick to basic compound movements

i have the same problem its just i dont like sticking to basic compound movements, i love using machines and cables....but i know when going for mass you shouldnt even touch a machine or cable

whats your current chest routine

I agree with quads. Following what the pro's do doesn't help the average person, especially at age 20. Most pro's don't become that way until they are past your age. They have trained for years many different ways to get there, along with magic pixie dust in most cases. If you are training your ass off with little to no gains try backing off and doing less. Remember you grow when you rest and not while you are training.
Also one other thing to remember just because the pro's write in some magazine that this is what I do, doesn't mean that's the case. Editors get involved and they can combine routines that they have done over the years to make it look more impressive. I knew a pro who was in a magazine as doing high volume training with high sets and exercises. The person trained with 2 exercises per body part and 4 to 5 sets only. So don't always believe what you read.

Rick cross
06-28-09, 10:37 pm
these guys are right stick to the basic movements an remember that form is important.i have bin lifting for about more than 3 years an i can tell u that nothing works for me like a flat bench an an incline smith with full range.i dont like the smith very much but at the end of the day it gets the job done.an dont go under 6 reps ceep the movement nice an smooth control the weight all the way up an on the way down.an remember dorian yates love the incline smith so ceep that in mine if u think that it is not hardcore enough for u.an remember master control.

Kingquads
06-28-09, 11:22 pm
these guys are right stick to the basic movements an remember that form is important.i have bin lifting for about more than 3 years an i can tell u that nothing works for me like a flat bench an an incline smith with full range.i dont like the smith very much but at the end of the day it gets the job done.an dont go under 6 reps ceep the movement nice an smooth control the weight all the way up an on the way down.an remember dorian yates love the incline smith so ceep that in mine if u think that it is not hardcore enough for u.an remember master control.

its keep not ceep haha :) heh its ok

Littlefry
06-29-09, 12:20 pm
Just experiment. Like the others said what works for one indvidual might not work for the next, so experiment and see what works best for you. Wether this means changing around the reps, sets, weights, exercises etc... jsut try it and see.

MojoMike36
06-29-09, 2:18 pm
Reduce the volume
Try guillotines they were the only thing I could activate my chest with when I first started lifting. Give it a shot.

Mizzarler
06-29-09, 4:03 pm
Bro you can ask this question and get a million different answers. I would listen to Pizzalamp, he def knows what he's doing. Especially if you want something out of the ordinary and to really shock your chest. For me personally I always began my chest workout with 4 sets of flat bb or incline bb. Switching to DB's every 4 or 5 weeks. That's just my preference and what I like. I would rotate all my other exercises...choose 3-4 exercises each workout (including flat or incline bb). It's up to you though, find what's comfortable to you and see if you get results. Keep your diet on point and you should be just fine.

Also... I would def keep the flys....

Kingquads
06-30-09, 5:48 pm
all i did for my chest this week is

incline bench press
dumbbell bench presses
dips

and my chest is fuller and looks bigger in the mirror, and its not sore, actually for the last month my chest,back,legs havent got that much soreness, and i train each muscle once a week, i use to always get super sore the next day or two, but now its almost no soreness....this is ok right?

Muscleguy93
06-30-09, 5:55 pm
all i did for my chest this week is

incline bench press
dumbbell bench presses
dips

and my chest is fuller and looks bigger in the mirror, and its not sore, actually for the last month my chest,back,legs havent got that much soreness, and i train each muscle once a week, i use to always get super sore the next day or two, but now its almost no soreness....this is ok right?

ya as long as ur seeing that ur muscles are growing... soreness dosent mean a thing.